I think I am pregnant... Need advice from others about my symptoms. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I am 18 years old and really cannot afford to be pregnant. If I am, then so be it, I will do the best I possibly can, but until that happens... I need someone to give me their opinion.

I had sex three days before my period - we did it twice in a row, both without a condom, but pulling out both times also. I know that precum can contain sperm and that is what I am worried about. I had a very normal period after that. When I was off my period, we did the exact same thing. (I hope I dont sound like a sex addict). Anyways, I have NEVER worried about getting pregnant since day one of losing my virginity, which was like 2 years ago. Also, my boyfriend pretty much NEVER used a condom ( I realize now how stupid that is). 

My point is, of all those times not using a condom.. I suddenly started worrying that I am pregnant, like crazy too. 

After that initial worry set in, I started noticing things. 

If I got pregnant the first time (right before my period), then that was three weeks ago. If it was the second time (right after my period) then that was two weeks ago. 

I suddenly got a very bad cold, which I havent had all fall/winter/spring this year. I have started belching like crazy (possibly because I breathe through my mouth due to my stuffy nose?) and my biggest possible sign is the sudden appearance of blue veins on my chest, breasts (especially) and even the sides of my stomach, which is new to me. I have however been trying to lose a couple pounds and have successfully lost 6 pounds (now am at 129 lbs and 5 foot 7) so could that be because I am slightly thinner? Also... I have gotten dizzy today and a couple days ago. I have been coughing a lot from my cold which has been making me gag as well. I know that all of these thing can have different causes, but like I said, for the first time I am having serious thoughts about me being pregnant. I had a terrible and vivid dream where I was raped and then last night had a dream about a girl I know that had gotten pregnant a year ago in high school. 

I am sorry this is so long, but I really do need opinions from women who have had children and know what it's like. Thank you!

#2 of 9 Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

One more thing to add... Again, this could be due to my cold, but my nose has been bleeding literally ALL day. Its on and off but there is almost always some blood in my nose, and at times it gets to the point where it just drips out of my nose like a leaky faucet. Wondering if that has anything to do with it.

#3 of 9 Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 PM

Based on timing alone, you would be unlikely to be pregnant. Most women are only fertile for a few days in the "middle" of their cycle, or about 10-15 days before their period. So as long as the period was normal, the sex before it is very unlikely to have resulted in anything as you would already have ovulated by that point and the egg would be gone. After your period, same thing. If you have pretty regular cycles ~28-30 days, then you are probably ovulating on about day 14-16. This means about days 10-16 you would be fertile. Start counting from day one of your period. Now VERY important, especially when trying not to get pregnant, is to remember that you can ovulate late at any time, for any reason. But that said, the time between your ovulation and your period doesn't normally change much, and is normally about 12 days give or take a few, but is generally the same for each woman (ie mine is almost always 13, someone elses might always be 11, etc). 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 AM

It is unlikely, I would take a test just to be sure.  How long ago was the sex just after your period?

While I agree that most women are only fertile for a few days in the middle of their cycle, if you want to learn more about YOUR personal cycle, please read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler (libraries usually have it) and do not rely on that as birth control alone.  Learn about the different methods available to you and use one properly and consistently - and realize that no method is 100% - if you are sexually active there is a chance you will become pregnant. 

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#5 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 05:58 AM

The only way to know for sure would be to test around when your period is due, if it is late. I agree with the others that it is unlikely you are pregnant. If you aren't, please look into some sort of birth control. Before my husband and I got married we used condoms and I was on the pill (well, the last 6ish months before we got married we stopped using condoms but by that time we were ready to accept a child if the pill failed). Both of my children (my 7 year old and the one I'm cooking) are "one hit wonders", as I call them. My 7 year old was conceived when I was 18. My (then fiance) had convinced me that "just one time won't hurt anything" and we did it without any protection. One time. 9 months later my son entered this world. (Less than 2 months after that I dumped the guys sorry butt and was a single parent for years). This time my husband and I got married January 1st and decided to stop birth control at that time and see what happened. We only had sex once during what was my fertile time. I really didn't think I would have been pregnant, but here I am.

All that to say- one time is really all it takes sometimes. So if you aren't ready to be a parent, please look into ways to prevent that until you are ready.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#6 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everybody who posted. This helped me to calm down a LOT, but, like you all suggested, I am going to 1) be more careful and 2) learn more about it. 

I appreciate your help.

And to Thorn: From today, I would have had sex (after my period) 16 days ago. 

#7 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM

You should be fine to take a pregnancy test now then, even if the sperm lived 6 days and then you ovulated you would be 10 days past ovulation now and a test should pick that up.  Use your first morning urine because it's the most concentrated.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#8 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Alrighty I shall do that. Thank you!

#9 of 9 Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post

You should be fine to take a pregnancy test now then, even if the sperm lived 6 days and then you ovulated you would be 10 days past ovulation now and a test should pick that up.  Use your first morning urine because it's the most concentrated.

How many days after the start of your period did you have sex?  I agree that testing would be a good idea, but keep in mind that it could still be too early.  If it's negative and no AF, I would test again in 3-4 days.  So buy a two pack or go to the dollar store and pick up several of those.

I also agree with the pp's that suggested checking out Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  It is an excellent book and you will learn so much about your body.  If you feel like you want to start charting, you can make use of the free site www.fertilityfriend.com and share your charts in the Fertility forum here on MDC.  There is a whole "charting to avoid" thread where you can get lots of help from experienced charters.  But, as the pp also said, do not rely on it as birth control by itself.  Use condoms, film, something!  I have fallen into that false sense of security that nothing will happen b/c nothing had happened yet.  But then, one day, oops!  Pregnant.  duh.gif   And a baby is not a small oops.  So if you feel like you're not ready then definitely change your routine immediately.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page