Mothering Forum banner

Pregnancy nutrition and exercise

556 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  frugalmum 
#1 ·
I'm very early, probably 3 weeks past conception (my cycles were very wacking for months before this, and we were not planning this, so an EDD is tough to figure out).

I want to know about any suggestions for a protien shake or bars that are safe. In other words, organic, non-GMO, no icky weird stuff, and no soy. I know there's a lot of mixed feelings about soy out there, but I avoid. I don't mind dairy-based protien sources, but I just want them to be clean.

Also, have any mamas drank Raw milk while pregnant? I know it's not advised, but I can't find any pregnancy-specific data or stories.

I am craving exercise. As I said, this was not a planned pregnancy, and I was actually more out of shape than ever just before we conceived. I'd like to exercise as much as possible while I still feel like it because I want to feel strong and healthy. Any suggestions on things not to do? Can I just listen to my body about exercise?

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTmamadownsouth View Post

I'm very early, probably 3 weeks past conception (my cycles were very wacking for months before this, and we were not planning this, so an EDD is tough to figure out).

I want to know about any suggestions for a protien shake or bars that are safe. In other words, organic, non-GMO, no icky weird stuff, and no soy. I know there's a lot of mixed feelings about soy out there, but I avoid. I don't mind dairy-based protien sources, but I just want them to be clean.

Also, have any mamas drank Raw milk while pregnant? I know it's not advised, but I can't find any pregnancy-specific data or stories.

I am craving exercise. As I said, this was not a planned pregnancy, and I was actually more out of shape than ever just before we conceived. I'd like to exercise as much as possible while I still feel like it because I want to feel strong and healthy. Any suggestions on things not to do? Can I just listen to my body about exercise?
I ate Cliff and Luna bars for protein to help w/ MS early in pregnancy.

We have a milk cow and have drank raw milk since 1995. I do what I think is healthy and do not go by standard info.

This is my first pregnancy I have exercised through. I did my regular workout until 18 weeks, the moved to pregnancy dvd's. Now at 34 weeks I walk and do yoga. Walking and yoga would be great things to add now.

#3 ·
Raw milk is fine during pregnancy as long as the milking process/the farm is hygienic.

Just about anything your body is used to doing exercise-wise prior to pregnancy is safe to do while pregnant. It's not a time to start a new sport or vigorous routine, but walking, jogging, biking, swimming, yoga, etc. are all fine. Just avoid high impact sports mostly b/c your ligaments get loose and you could more easily injure yourself. Keep tabs on your heart rate and general feeling of well being. Take more breaks if necessary and stay well hydrated. If you feel contractions or get dizzy, those are signs to stop.

As for snacks, it's great to keep good nutrition and healthy foods in mind, but if that morning sickness kicks in, just eat whatever you can keep down. Frequent, light, protein meals are generally best, but honestly if fried food or boxed mac and cheese is doing it for you, go with it. The pp's suggestion of Luna bars or Cliff bars is good. There are also protein powders that are whey based or you could just use dry milk and yogurt with some frozen fruit and kale for shakes. I found myself snacking on cubes of cheese, nuts, dried fruit, peanut butter on toast, hard boiled eggs, etc. Just keep your blood sugar up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.