Early pregnancy diarrhea (celiac) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was diagnosed with Celiac in Dec.  I was gluten free for several months before that, and then did a gluten challenge to get the official dx.  Anyways, since then it has been a slow recovery.  Kind of two steps forward, one step back.  My major issues were with diarrhea, and that is an ongoing problem.  I kind of have a good week, and then get hit with a couple bad days.  However, my energy levels are way improved and my iron has recovered (ferritin 4 in Dec, 20 in Mar).

Anyways, I am happily 4 weeks pregnant!  And today has been a disaster!  Yesterday too.  I've been running to the bathroom 4 times with D.  Not good.  Otherwise, I'm feeling great.  Good energy.

I try to eat all whole foods.  Meat, eggs, veg, fruit, nuts.  Occasional grains (experimented a bit with grain-free, but I like bits here and there).  Lots of raw fruit and veg though, as I like easy snacks (I have a 2 year old).  I am obviously gluten free, but also dairy-free and soy-free.

I am taking a prenatal vitamin, fish oil capsules, vitamin D.

Should I be concerned?  From a celiac standpoint?  Or could this regression be a pregnancy thing?  Anything else I can take to help?  Or eat to help?  I was wondering about a probiotic or a digestive enzyme?  Anyone experienced anything similar?

#2 of 5 Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Congratulations on your pregnancy! 

Just so I understand... you did a gluten challenge to confirm your celiac diagnosis. Does this mean that you ate gluten so that your GI doc could perform an endoscopy and get accurate results? That is very important. 

I ask because my family journey with celiac disease, was one that began with dx, and then cutting gluten out of our diet. After that, there was so much additional refining that had to be done to be certain that we still weren't getting gluten from other sources. Much of that confirmation comes from blood work. For example, your tummy may not hurt after cutting out gluten, but your blood work may show that you still have antibodies that tell that there is hidden gluten in your diet that still needs to go. For example, we had to get rid of all our cutting boards, stoneware, cast iron, wooden spoons, toaster oven, etc - anything porous that gluten may permanently get into. Also, our GI doc made it clear that many celiacs have additional food sensitivities that we may have to work through to manage our health - most frequently dairy and soy. I see that you don't eat those things, so that already may be a step in the right direction if those are triggers for you. Many other foods can cause irritation, too. It often varies from person to person. Also, our GI said that oftentimes, once the celiac is under control, some of the other foods that we were sensitive to can be reintroduced slowly once the gut is healed. The reasoning behind this is that some of the foods may not be actual allergy triggers for us, but that they were irritating to an unhealed, gluten-damaged gut.

Pregnancy can exacerbate your symptoms, especially if you are still getting gluten in your diet - perhaps unknowingly. If you haven't already, I'd suggest you work closely with your gastroenterologist (and midwives) to get your disease back under control. An unfortunate side affect of uncontrolled celiac disease is malabsorption and anemia. You are going to need to be able to make full use out of all those healthy foods that you have been eating. Pairing that with the slowing down of your digestive system due to pregnancy hormones, which can easily cause constipation, could make for a grumpy and uncooperative gi tract. 

Happily, right now baby's dietary needs are very small, and so it's the best time to get your celiac under control. 

Again, congratulations on the new baby!

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#3 of 5 Old 05-11-2011, 03:18 PM

i don't have any advice on the celiac, but i know that when i am pregnant, especially in the first few months, i tend to have quite a bit of diarrhea (which always struck me as weird since you mostly hear of pregnant women being constipated.) 

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#4 of 5 Old 05-12-2011, 03:19 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy. 

I am celiac and have been gluten free for a year before getting pregnant.  I was feeling awesome before I got pregnant and then I started feeling really icky at about 4-6 weeks.  I have been having tummy troubles pretty much the whole time.  I really think it's just a pregnancy thing. 

Some things that have helped me are a good probiotic (I take PB8), digestive enzymes (I use Source Naturals Essential Enzymes), and an allergen-free prenatal (I take 2 capsules instead of 4 - Rainbow Light Organic Prenatal). 

I had a miscarriage last year and now I'm pregnant again (14 weeks!) and both times I've felt like I've been "glutened" constantly and have felt as crappy as before I went gluten free.  Now I know I'm not being glutened, I'm just having awesome pregnancy symptoms. 

Hope you feel better in the coming weeks.

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

#5 of 5 Old 05-13-2011, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.  It helps put my mind at ease that this could be "normal" for pregnancy, celiac or not.  Things are definitely worse than they had been, so there's a decent chance it is pregnancy putting things out.  I'll try to go easy on my stomach and do easy to digest stuff for a while, see if it helps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page