Anyone else crave all sorts of ALCOHOL during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I mean out of all things to crave, right? I have wanted a dark imperial stout for a week now. I even told my husband that if he drinks one in front of me, I will insist on a sip or 2. 

Why must some of us crave booze in this 9 month period of our life where we should not drink alcohol, or very little?

Actually no- I don't want a pint of imperial stout. I want 2. And in fact, the night the baby is born (months and months from now), I will demand that it be on my table right next to my bed after I push the baby out lol.gif

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 05-16-2011, 01:23 PM

I'm not pregnant any longer but I craved alcohol all through my pregnancy as well, and I'm not a drinker in the least.  I DID have a sip of some homemade wine my family made for Christmas at the beginning of my third tri but I definitely wanted more than that and a lot more often!

#3 of 42 Old 05-16-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Wine- love it not pregnant, but while pregnant it sounds completely yucky for some reason. We are regular drinkers, although I've never been a huge fan of imperial stout, so it's a bit silly to me that only in pregnancy would I just crave it so strongly yummy.gif

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#4 of 42 Old 05-16-2011, 03:37 PM

I have had wine occasionally throughout this pregnancy but what I have really been craving is a dirty martini. I refuse to even let myself taste a sip because I know I would want to drink the whole thing! I probably will want nothing to do with them once the baby is born because I don't normally drink liquor but I'll give it a shot!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#5 of 42 Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 PM

I am not a big drinker at all. I'll have a fancy cocktail while out for dinner maybe 2-3 times a year, and that's pretty much it. 

I've been craving cocktails like mad, every time I see them, or someone talks about them. But the smell of alcohol, anything strong, particularly wine or beer, makes me want to run and toss my cookies more than anything else has this pregnancy so far. We had a glass of beer in our back office a few weeks ago, that someone had just left somewhere, and we placed it in the back until the kitchen had a chance to come grab the glass, and i actually had to get someone to remove it, because I was gagging. It's kind of pathetic really... 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 42 Old 05-17-2011, 02:59 AM

I was a wine drinker until I got preg.  And before I knew I was preg. I had the worst heartburn after having wine and then when I found out I realized it was my body's way of getting rid of it from my life for 9 mo.  I don't have an urge, but boy on hot days the thought of an ice cold Mike's Hard lemonade sounds good.  I told DH I want one as soon as she is born and luckily that is only 21 days (give or take).

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#7 of 42 Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 AM

pizza and bud light, yes please. ROTFLMAO.gifBut it always sounds so good but can't bring myself to even sip it, once it's in front of me I want to yak

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#8 of 42 Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 AM

Yep. I've craved beer. And I've had a beer, about once a month, from month 3 on.

Millie Ivy and Celticqueen like this.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#9 of 42 Old 05-17-2011, 06:41 PM
tzs

i have no problem with having a glass of wine here and there during pregnancy....especially at the end when they're just hanging out.

but for some reason i've been craving mojitos like mad. haven't had one though....i don;t like the pregnant buzzed feeling and the automatic swelling and i think a big part of it is that i want to sit at a nice bar patio somewhere.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
#10 of 42 Old 05-17-2011, 08:24 PM

Don't stout beers contain a lot of protein and B vitamins?  Is there any possibility that you're lacking one of those two things?

Not to suggest that's the only possibility . . . I've been craving nacho cheese flavored chips, for pity's sake . . . maybe I need more salt?  But I don't want any other salty foods.

Anyway, sorry about that, it must be annoying.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#11 of 42 Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 PM

I don't know about beer, but I have craved dry red wine, and I usually only like sweet wines. I also have had a glass of wine about once or twice a month this pregnancy. I personally am putting my trust in the large studies out of Europe that have shown no negative effects from drinking a glass of wine even on a daily basis during pregnancy.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
#12 of 42 Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 AM

I craved wine and beer this pregnancy which is also weird because I am normally not a big drinker at all. I did indulge these cravings with an occasional sip of my husband's or a half glass. That was typically enough to make the feeling pass.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#13 of 42 Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 AM

I am not preggo, but yes!!!  When I was preggo w/ ODD my mouth actually watered I wanted a drink so bad once.   We were camping and my BIL offered me a mountain dew and vodka. not remembering I was preggo!  My mouth totally watered and I wanted it so bad!!  lol   And even with YDD I wanted a mikes hard pommegrante really bad, I even took one out of the fridge after a party, put it on the counter and remembered probably not a good idea.  lol   I settled for a sip of DH's.  

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#14 of 42 Old 05-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Not pregnant now, but yes!!! I craved margaritas something fierce while pregnant.  It was bizarre. 

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#15 of 42 Old 05-21-2011, 07:31 AM

Last time I was pregnant, I went to a small party with my friends where everyone was drinking wine.  Just the smell of the wine when the bottles were uncorked made me salivate!  It was torture!  I didn't want to even take a sip because I really just wanted to drink a bottle and a sip would have just been a tease! 

I know it's going to be tough getting through the summer cookouts watching everyone drink beer and margaritas.  

When I go to a restaurant, I always order a juice/seltzer mix.  At least you can pretend it's something better!

And my husband is NOT being compassionate about it at all!  Every time he orders a beer, he says something annoying like "Well I'm drinking for two now!  I better order another!"

#16 of 42 Old 05-21-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini529 View Post

Last time I was pregnant, I went to a small party with my friends where everyone was drinking wine.  Just the smell of the wine when the bottles were uncorked made me salivate!  It was torture!  I didn't want to even take a sip because I really just wanted to drink a bottle and a sip would have just been a tease! 

I know it's going to be tough getting through the summer cookouts watching everyone drink beer and margaritas.  

When I go to a restaurant, I always order a juice/seltzer mix.  At least you can pretend it's something better!

And my husband is NOT being compassionate about it at all!  Every time he orders a beer, he says something annoying like "Well I'm drinking for two now!  I better order another!"

Ugh!! My husband is doing the SAME THING hopmad.gif

We went to DH's birthday last night. That was SO HARD. Drinks all around, and I got some sips, that's it. It was torture :( I am  huge fan of beer and just the smell of it made me go nuts. I realize it's not a big deal to non-drinkers or light drinkers, but we are very regular drinkers, and also brew our own beer at home (and yes, it's legal in Oregon lol.gif) I actually told him that I don't want him drinking beer around me anymore because it just makes me mad. I also told him that I don't want to help make beer anymore because it makes me want to ravage it to oblivion. Lol! Stupid pregnancy hormones. I never craved beer THIS MUCH before! Geez

#17 of 42 Old 05-21-2011, 05:46 PM

The ENTIRE time I was PG with DS, I wanted nothing more than a Kahlua and Cream. DAILY I thought about having one. And I probably should have just had one and gotten it over with. The whole time, I told myself, I'd have one as soon as DS was born. Then DS was born. And I really didn't want one.

Right now, I would pay good money for a hard cider. And I have six in the fridge that we bought right before we found out, too. mmmmmm. I am going to have to either get rid of them or have DH drink them for me, they are driving me crazy.
#18 of 42 Old 05-28-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's official- I forgot I was pregnant yesterday! It was a long hard day and I said to my hubby "Ok, I need a dark beer asap- will you get me one please" He just sort of blinked at me like he was waiting for me to say just kidding, and I didn't. 

One of my friends joked with me "You're going to push the baby out and while they're trying to hand you the baby, you're going to be drinking a beer saying "Can you put the baby down? I'll get to it in just a minute!" lol.gif

#19 of 42 Old 05-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

Not pregnant now, but yes!!! I craved margaritas something fierce while pregnant.  It was bizarre. 

I'm *thisclose* to making one just so DH can drink the whole thing, but I can have a sip. I want a margarita soooo bad.  Summer just isn't the same without them.  greensad.gif  And I don't want a fake one, I want the roundness of the tequila, the sting of the salt.  The crunch of the ice.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post

Well, it's official- I forgot I was pregnant yesterday! It was a long hard day and I said to my hubby "Ok, I need a dark beer asap- will you get me one please" He just sort of blinked at me like he was waiting for me to say just kidding, and I didn't. 

One of my friends joked with me "You're going to push the baby out and while they're trying to hand you the baby, you're going to be drinking a beer saying "Can you put the baby down? I'll get to it in just a minute!" lol.gif

Good one, mama!! LOL!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#20 of 42 Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 AM

Beer which I don't normal drink but I've had 1/3 glass maybe 3 times in the 6 month I've been prego. @ first the cravings were maddening. I also crave a sake martini, maybe I'll. Have 1/2 @ least it's wine. The other craving is cigarettes and I don't smaoke. Last pregnancy 6 years ago i was mad for clove cigarettes. I have no idea how I held out.
#21 of 42 Old 06-27-2011, 06:57 PM

I completely feel your pain! My first pregnancy I was desperate for gin & tonics and...wait for it...cigarettes! I haven't smoked in YEARS! So classy, right? This time I would knock someone down for a glass (bottle!?) of champagne.
Celticqueen likes this.
#22 of 42 Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I hear you about the tabacco thing. I have never smoked cigarettes, but my husband is a pipe and cigar smoker. I've always loved the smell of it, but during pregnancy I love it even MORE. Like, I just want to go over to his pipe and eat it (LOL!) It's awful! I have to admit the other day, I took a puff. I don't feel guilty because with cigars and pipes you DON'T inhale them, you just taste it in your mouth and puff it out. It was delightful love.gif

#23 of 42 Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM

pregnancy makes everything not fun anymore.  i don't want beer or coffee.  at least the first 3 or 5 months.  however, not imperial stout, but just plain stout like guinness is pretty low alcohol.

my dh makes beer.  he made some low (and not so low) alcohol beer for me last time i was preggo.  you can make it taste pretty much the same, you know.  you should encourage your dh to take up a new hobby ;)

otherwise, i did have beer, on occasion, last pregnancy and probably will this time if it ever sounds yummy to me again.  i think the stigma surrounding very moderate intake is a little silly, myself. 

and.. i don't want much of anything right now, but a margarita sounds positively yummy.  maybe just a sour one with no booze, even.  mmm.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#24 of 42 Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM

Ahhh! I'm glad I'm not alone, the ONE thing I've been craving is beer. I feel like a terrible mom bc I talk to my hubs about it all the time. He will open one so I can have a sip or two. I can't have much more without feeling guilty, and I can't wait until I can drink 2 full beers without the guilt!

I fully embrace the idea of pump and dump :)

#25 of 42 Old 07-01-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

pregnancy makes everything not fun anymore.  i don't want beer or coffee.  at least the first 3 or 5 months.  however, not imperial stout, but just plain stout like guinness is pretty low alcohol.

my dh makes beer.  he made some low (and not so low) alcohol beer for me last time i was preggo.  you can make it taste pretty much the same, you know.  you should encourage your dh to take up a new hobby ;)

otherwise, i did have beer, on occasion, last pregnancy and probably will this time if it ever sounds yummy to me again.  i think the stigma surrounding very moderate intake is a little silly, myself. 

and.. i don't want much of anything right now, but a margarita sounds positively yummy.  maybe just a sour one with no booze, even.  mmm.

We're beer brewers! Been brewing for about a year now. Made a dozen batches. I have to say, I like to leave the house when dh brews anything now- the smell of hops is nauseating to me. Malt smells amazing, but hops....BLEGH.

But when the finish product is complete and ready to drink- I get really mad at him for giving it out to our guests and offering me a "sip".

GREAT idea about making a low alcohol beer. I made a raspberry blonde ale recently and have been looking to try another recipe soon. Will have to ask the homebrew store about this

#26 of 42 Old 07-03-2011, 12:40 PM

Dark beer DOES contain iron... I've HEARD that in Ireland pregnant women are advised to drink a half pint of Guiness a day for this reason.  No actual evidence that it's true, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticqueen View Post

I mean out of all things to crave, right? I have wanted a dark imperial stout for a week now. I even told my husband that if he drinks one in front of me, I will insist on a sip or 2. 

Why must some of us crave booze in this 9 month period of our life where we should not drink alcohol, or very little?

Actually no- I don't want a pint of imperial stout. I want 2. And in fact, the night the baby is born (months and months from now), I will demand that it be on my table right next to my bed after I push the baby out lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hykue View Post

Don't stout beers contain a lot of protein and B vitamins?  Is there any possibility that you're lacking one of those two things?

Not to suggest that's the only possibility . . . I've been craving nacho cheese flavored chips, for pity's sake . . . maybe I need more salt?  But I don't want any other salty foods.

Anyway, sorry about that, it must be annoying.

#27 of 42 Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM

A lot of times the body craves things that are worst for it. For example, friend had to have peanut butter every day but got headaches and realized later that she was allergic to peanuts. I loved loved loved bread, but later found to have gluten intolerance. I craved bread when pregnant. I actually one time chewed a breadstick and spit it back out. (Gross, I know.) But I completely understand that strength of a craving that you would give in, even if it's not the best plan. Not to be a downer in the conversation, but I commend those who held out, especially working with kids who have fetal alcohol syndrome. Sometimes the risks outweigh the fun.

#28 of 42 Old 07-04-2011, 05:16 PM

I hear you... when I was prego (my baby is now 10 mo) I totally craved rich and heavy beer. And I am not a beer drinker at all. 

In fact, I normally would enjoy a glass of red wine but was totally NOT craving wine at all. Weird. 

So now and again, when my hubby would open up a beer, I would allow myself up to 3 sips as long as I had a fully belly of food in me, to slow the metabolism down of the alcohol.

And it all worked out fine and somehow, 2-3 sips seemed to satisfy the craving. 

:)

Karin

#29 of 42 Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 PM

I'm pregnant, in my first trimester and all i want is alcohol. I'm not keeping the baby so i really really want to indulge..... But i feel so guilty. But i literally can't even consume any other liquid????? ARGH!

#30 of 42 Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandraw View Post

I'm not keeping the baby so i really really want to indulge..... But i feel so guilty.

Please don't. Wait until after birth or the abortion. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

Tags
Alcoholics Anonymous World Serv Inc , Pathways To Success A Fetal Alcohol Workbook For An Individual With Fetal Alcohol , Children With Prenatal Alcohol Or Other Drug Exposure Weighing The Risks Of Adoption

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page