If you had prodromal labor, how long until the real thing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 37 weeks 1 day pregnant. I've been having random cramping/mildly painful contractions on & off for a couple of weeks now. Then today I had regular, painful contractions around 17 minutes apart for several hours. My first labour started out exactly like this so I couldn't help but get a bit nervous/excited. However, the contractions have fizzled out.

I'm wondering, if you've had false alarms, how long did it take until "real", baby-producing labor happened?

I *know* it can vary greatly and that some women go through this for weeks on end before the main event happens. I'm just curious to hear about other peoples' experiences. shy.gif

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#2 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

With my second pregnancy, I had pressure contractions for weeks- probably about 4 weeks that were sometimes sporadic or sometimes regular for upwards of an hour.  I kept thinking "any day!" but not so much.  I started getting really antsy as I was in quite a bit of pain from dislocated ribs, so I took some blue/black cohosh, tried nipple stim with a breast pump and had my mw do an internal check and sweep my membranes.  I was already 5cm dilated!  I went into real labor two days later.  I lost my mucus plug with bloody show over those two days, which was a good indication for me that things were really getting going.  But, once I went into labor, things were pretty quick- only 5 hours total and 2 1/2 pushes!  So try and take heart in knowing that your body is doing a lot of work now that will make your labor that much quicker and easier.  joy.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 12 Old 05-18-2011, 04:39 PM

I had BH contractions from 35 weeks onward with DS.  They would be regular light contractions, evenly spaced about 2 mins apart, for 2 or 3 hours a day. Every day.  Until I finally had him at 41w1d!  Boy was I sick of prodromal labor by then.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#4 of 12 Old 05-20-2011, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing! :)

My contractions started up again the night after I wrote, so strong that I was sure it was the real thing. Then they disappeared again and I'm back to feeling like normal.

So different from my first child. With her, I didn't have a single warning sign until the day I woke up in labor. I

#5 of 12 Old 05-20-2011, 06:53 AM

I'm so sick of pre labor i lost my mucus plug 4 days ago and have had hard contractions every night for the past week. well longer then that but this past week they have really hurt. still nothing they just go away, my doula told me she wasnt sure i had the energy to give birth right now which is all fine unless i have to go through this for another  3  to 5 weeks then i really wont have energy to give birth.

#6 of 12 Old 05-22-2011, 05:18 AM

ugh. i am so. sick. of. prodromal. labour.

honestly.

i was 4 cm dilated at my appt on the 11th, then SEVEN cm dilated at my appt on the 18th.

they fully expected me to have my baby (the midwives said GO HOME AND FILL UP THE POOL NOW) and she's still hanging out.

i am in mass amounts of pain. backache, menstrual-like cramping, irregular contractions).

blah.

i hope it goes away eventually. i don't know how much longer i can do this for!!! (of course the answer is until she is out, but please...let that be soon...)

i've been losing mucous plug and have had bloody show for weeks off and on, but i think that is mostly due to the membrane sweeps.

mama to 8 year old haye  and 3 year old zao
#7 of 12 Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 PM

With my first I had it for about a week continuously, after doing the off-and-on (6+ hours a day) for months.

With my second it was 2 weeks.

With my third it was about 5-6 weeks.

With this one?... nothing so far. Creepy.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#8 of 12 Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 AM

I had painful prodromal labor for weeks before having ds2.. he ended up coming on his due date!

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

#9 of 12 Old 05-25-2011, 06:41 AM

I had tons of BH from about 20 weeks on with DS1. Not sure I would classify it as prodromal labor though b/c I never questioned that I might be in labor. Then I had my membranes swept at 37 weeks (was looking at a necessary induction the next week) and had regular contractions the following day for 12 hours. Thought the membrane sweep might have kicked me in, but they fizzled out after dealing with them all day. At my 38w appt, got another membrane swept, and same story, only at the 12 hr-mark of contrax my water broke and labor continued.

#10 of 12 Old 05-25-2011, 08:39 AM

I am not much help as I am 38 1/2 weeks pregnant however, I have been having prodromal labor for 3 1/2 weeks now...it is helping make some progress but, it can be a drag when the contractions get regular and somewhat uncomfortable and you think "yes, here we go" and then nothing!! hang in there at least you know it won't be more than another month :) That is what I keep telling myself!

#11 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 PM

I got here from a google search for Prodromal Labor.. a good friend of mine was in it yesterday- we thought it was the real deal. her EDD is tomorrow.. and no baby yet!

this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleeee View Post

ugh. i am so. sick. of. prodromal. labour.

honestly.

i was 4 cm dilated at my appt on the 11th, then SEVEN cm dilated at my appt on the 18th.

they fully expected me to have my baby (the midwives said GO HOME AND FILL UP THE POOL NOW) and she's still hanging out.

i am in mass amounts of pain. backache, menstrual-like cramping, irregular contractions).

blah.

i hope it goes away eventually. i don't know how much longer i can do this for!!! (of course the answer is until she is out, but please...let that be soon...)

followed by your siggy made me smile.. looks like you had that baby the very next day!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#12 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Just checking in to say I'm 39 weeks 1 day today and still no baby. I was having a lot of contractions on & off for about a week, but almost nothing in the last few days.

I was really disappointed at first, but now I've calmed down a bit and actually hope the baby waits a little longer. :)

Tags
Labor Of The Heart A Parents Guide To The Decisions And Emotions In Adoption , The Birth Partner A Complete Guide To Childbirth For Dads Doulas And All Other Labor Companions , Lansinoh Laboratories Inc

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page