Naming and initials help - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we now have a girl name we like, but the problem (maybe) is that the initials spell a word.  ACT.  The name is Ardis Clare.  Would this bother you?  It is not a bad word, but.  The middle is a family name I love so I am not wild about replacing it.  Thoughts?

Wife to DH, mom to DD1 energy.gif 9/06 and our new arrival DD2 femalesling.GIF 6/11

#2 of 16 Old 05-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think ACT is fine.

I've got an ERA and a CHA. Hardly winners but nothing rude or obscene.
#3 of 16 Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 PM

ACT is a pretty benign word. I wouldn't stress about it. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#4 of 16 Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM

DD#1 is ACT (Alyssa Cheyenne) and it's never been an issue. She realized around 6 that her initials spelled Act and she thought it was pretty cool. She's my most mild mannered of my 3 kids

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#5 of 16 Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

OK.  Thanks, ladies.  I'll cross that off my list of worries.  At this stage it is so easy to stress about silly things!

Wife to DH, mom to DD1 energy.gif 9/06 and our new arrival DD2 femalesling.GIF 6/11

#6 of 16 Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 AM

ACT is def not bad.

My initials before marriage were BRA...it was horrible.  I got made fun of in school if anybody noticed.  I mean it was not the end of the world but I hated it.  I make sure to pay attention to my kids initials before I name them now b/c I don't want them to have the same trouble.  When I got married I couldnt wait to drop my middle name, so now I'm BAH.  I wouldn't worry about ACT though!

#7 of 16 Old 05-19-2011, 02:37 PM

ACT is totally fine. I wouldn't give it a second thought. :)

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#8 of 16 Old 05-19-2011, 03:07 PM

haha I'm having trouble right now because one of my favored names ends up with RAB. Which is no biggie, except that my 'biggest' ex in my past, his nickname was Rab.  DH hasn't noticed the intitals yet, but it creeps me out a bit. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 16 Old 05-20-2011, 03:14 PM

I don't think that ACT is a problem at all. My initials used to spell CAT (my first name is Christina, even though I go by Tina) and I loved it!

Unfortunately, when I got married, I decided to take DH's last name and keep my maiden name for a second middle name. Didn't really think it through.....Now my initials are CATP (cat pee). Oops, at least I'm old enough now to see the humor in it! ROTFLMAO.gif

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#10 of 16 Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 PM

My initials were BJB... you can bet people stopped noticing that last B when we got to be high school age.  Now married, my last name is an S... BS.  I DO get a kick out of initialing for things... but ACT is hardly a big deal haha.

#11 of 16 Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 PM

I don't see why ACT would be a problem at all? DS2's initials will be SKY, which we think is cool and we might even call him that (still debating about going by the first or middle name).

ETA: DH & DS's initials are both WHY and DH has always liked that.

#12 of 16 Old 05-20-2011, 07:53 PM

ACT is definitely benign.  DS's initials are EEL.  We noticed when we were thinking through baby names, but his first name is the only one we could agree on, and his middle name is a family name that DH really wanted to use.  I suppose it'll only really be noticed when he's signing legal documents, so we decided just to go for it.

I had a friend growing up whose parents wanted to name their son Ian Allen N-----.  His name would have been the same as his initials.  The affinity for initials must have been passed to her sister, cause she named her daughter Megan Elaine G----.  But I don't think most people pay that much attention.

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#13 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 PM

I forgot to mention thatmy parents initials are SAD and MAD. We always joked that dad was sad because mom was mad (they never fought in front of us and rarely were mad and sad lol). My sons initials at RT for first and last. Dh kept coming up with A middle names, I refused to let his initials be RAT

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#14 of 16 Old 05-30-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka mommy View Post

I forgot to mention thatmy parents initials are SAD and MAD. 

That is awesome ROTFLMAO.gif

My pre-marriage initials were BAD....and you can be sure people totally caught on and made fun.  Hell, even as a grown up, people would ask my middle name, realize the initials and crack a joke, like they were the first ones to think of it shrug.gif

Kudos to you, OP for thinking about it!!  

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#15 of 16 Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM

My son's initials are GAS. Whoops. We were really careful naming the next one and made sure her initials didn't spell anything weird.

I wouldn't be worried about ACT, though. :)

#16 of 16 Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM

I wouldnt worry about ACT. Our ONLY name that we BRIEFLY agreed on for a boy last time had initials JIZ. Good thing she was a girl.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Tags
The Baby Name Wizard A Magical Method For Finding The Perfect Name For Your Baby , Top Ten Tips For Choosing A Babys Name

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page