Help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and just got hit with a nasty cold.  I'm pretty good at "toughing it out" but I'm going on day 4 with so signs of getting better.  I'm congested with a horrible sinus headache and a dry cough that is tearing apart my throat...Does anyone have any suggestions for safe herbal remedies to take?

#2 of 7 Old 05-21-2011, 11:05 PM

Go  to your GP I thought I had a bad cold only and had the sinus and it turns out it was a sinus infection once on the antibiotic i felt better in 2 days.  Until then use a humidifer for your congestion and also steam up a shower helps a lot.

#3 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 04:48 AM

I agree, if it's not seeming to get better in the regular cold timeframe you should get it checked out just to make sure it's not something more grievous.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#4 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Neti pot?  And yeah, get checked for infection.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#5 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 PM

Hot water with lemon juice, ginger and honey for your throat. You can either make some ginger tea and add lemon and honey, or whirl some fresh ginger root in your blender with a little water then strain. Make up enough to keep a jar in your refrigerator and then you can just use a tablespoon whenever you make a cup.

Also, echinacea is safe during pregnancy, you just don't want a blend with other herbs. That being said, it might not be that effective now that the cold has set it. It's most effective when you take it at the first sign of symptoms.

Otherwise, I would look at some homeopathic remedies. Boiron makes some good ones for colds. You can also read the descriptions for the single remedies and see which ones fit your symptoms.

If you only have congestion and cough and no fever, I would think it might be allergies. If the neti-pot isn't a possibility for you, then get some saline spray for your nose.

#6 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 04:16 PM

I caught the flu two weeks ago and I'm still coughing. I'll be 33 weeks tomorrow and I am so tired and sore from all this coughing! I'm sure my baby is tired of being bounced around.

Try a nice strong oregano and honey tea. That's what I've been using for my cough. I also do the hot lemon and honey, with or without ginger, for the sore throat and cough. A hot wash cloth on your face can help relieve the sinus pressure. I caved and used cough drops at night so I could get some sleep, otherwise there was just no way I could get any sleep! I also took a Tylenol a couple of times when the combination of headache and cough made me feel like my head was going to explode. Drink as much fluids as you can.

As miserable as I've felt.. the worst part is that I have very little bladder control with this cough. greensad.gif

I am feeling quite a bit better, and I think this is almost over. (knock on wood) I hope your cold is shorter!

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#7 of 7 Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!  The teas have been helpful, and it's nice to know that echinacea is safe for next time (hopefully there isn't a next time, but I will be ready!)  I think I'm at a point now that my body too, is sore from the coughing, my throat feels like I swallowed razor blades and I need to just heal.

I'm sorry that your sick as well, it really is the pits... And I feel you on the bladder control issue, that was a very unpleasant surprise....

Tags
Colds Flu Bubble Bath , Hylands Cold N Cough 4 Kids Multi Symptom Cold Relief Syrup 4 Oz , Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Coldcalm Tablets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page