Need reassurance/experiences with BFing and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My problem is  this- I spotted brown every day to every other day from 6.5 weeks to 9 weeks, then one day at 11 weeks.  My midwife says that in her experience a woman who spots and is BFing has a high chance of delivering prematurely. 

She said if it was not for the spotting, BFing would be no big deal, but the spotting is an indicator of preterm labor/delivery.

I would like to know if anyone has had experiences with spotting and BFing, and how it turned out, any thoughts on the matter, etc.  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a very bold statement for your mw to make!  There is an entire section in Adventures in Tandem Nursing about breastfeeding and its relationship to miscarriage and preterm labor.  It's too much information for me to summarize even, but I will say that the overall message seems to be there is not enough research to conclude definitively one way or the other, but the overwhelming anecdotal evidence does NOT show breastfeeding to cause miscarriage or preterm labor.  The book is quick to say that it is a decision that every mother and care giver must weigh "in light of indirect information."  Experts in the field of miscarriage and preterm labor are quoted in the book saying that there aren't any data suggesting a link between breastfeeding and pregnancy loss nor is there any evidence that implicates breastfeeding in increasing the risks of preterm labor in healthy pregnancies.  In another part the book says a good rule of thumb might be if you are told that sex is unsafe during your particular pregnancy then you might interpret this to mean that you should discontinue breastfeeding as well. 

I hope that helps!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Oh gosh!  I am so sorry your midwife put that kind of pressure on you!  I have a friend whose daughter's midwife told her she needed to stop breastfeeding the minute she got pregnant because it causes miscarriage.   Obviously false information.  I'm 36 weeks and still nursing my toddler all.the.time (but that's a different issue winky.gif).  I am very skeptical that breastfeeding could contribute to a miscarriage.  Brown spotting is very, very common in pregnancies where the mother isn't nursing and I would like to see a study on the relation of miscarriage to spotting at all.  Then maybe bring in the breastfeeding aspect.  KWIM?  Anyway, I don't know what to tell you other than don't let your midwife freak you out and put any undue stress on you during this time.  I would think that would be more harmful than anything.  hug2.gif

Andrea fly-by-nursing2.gif - Mommy to DD1 ('05), DD2 ('08), DD3 (6/17/11) cd.gif homebirth.jpg

#4 of 7 Old 05-24-2011, 01:11 PM

It might also ease your mind to think that the spotting is likely totally unrelated.  I spotted at 11 weeks, and I am not breastfeeding!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#5 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I spotted like crazy most of the first trimester in my 2nd pregnancy, which I nursed through. I nursed through the entire pregnancy and had a 10lb baby 3 days before his due date. Towards the middle/end of pregnancy I did notice more BH's while nursing, but it did not trigger preterm labor, obviously. and ds was by no means starving in the womb due to his sister's nursing ;)

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#6 of 7 Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for the support!  In defense of my MW, she said that she has honestly seen this trend- women who spot in early pregnancy and are nursing are at greater risk of preterm labor/delivery.  Maybe it is just coincedence.  She said that if I had not spotted she would not have even mentioned a thing about my BFing.

I have not quit BFing, have not even cut down much.  We wernt doing it a ton to begin with, but I did find a source of raw goats milk (YAY!!!!!!!) and have been giving DD a few ounces a day to make sure she is getting enough milk and have of course been drinking it myself for the extra calcium and phosphorus(it has more than cows milk), as well as it helps A LOT with constipation!

Anyway, if anyone else has any thoughts please let me know!  I am 19 weeks and no BH yet that I have felt...

#7 of 7 Old 06-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Just wanted to add, that for some women just walking around is a risk to their pregnancies, therefore they are placed on complete bed rest.  This isn't very common, and noone would tell masses of women that they shouldn't walk around because it *may* lead to preterm labor.  The same goes for breastfeeding.  I know a lot of women who have had miscarraiges, and don't know that any were nursing at the time.  i also know lots of women who tandem nursed with absolutely no physical problems (including myself).  it's all very individual.  But, if you are nursing in tandem, you definetely need to take a little extra care of yourself...as if that is possible!

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

Tags
Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin 90 Tablets , Nordic Naturals Prenatal Dha 500 Mg High Concentrate Purified Fish Oil 90 Soft Gels

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page