Insurance Requires Home Birth Midwife be a Nurse. Help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Has anyone dealt with this situation? The midwife I plan on going with is a direct entry midwife and training to become a CPM. Neither of which require a nursing degree. I don't believe that any CNM's in the area do home births. Utah (my state) says that's legal, but the insurance says my policy states that the midwife has to be a nurse for them to cover it. Is there any way to work around this? If not, I'm still doing a home birth. It would just be much easier for us financially if we didn't have to worry about this. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#2 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You *might* have some luck filing an 'out of network provider' claim since there is no CNM in your area. Good luck mama

#3 of 5 Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

do you know of anyone else in your state with the same insurance who has home birthed with a dem, and whether they were successful in getting reimbursed? its worth asking around. check finding your tribe, and maybe any local AP groups, lll, ICAN, etc. they might just cover it at an out of network rate. I personally would just cross my fingers, hope for the best, and go for it. have your midwife bill them after the birth and see what happens? (I wouldn't call the insurance ahead of time and ask, either. that just puts you on the radar as "oh, look, this person might submit a claim that we should probably deny"..or at least thats my superstition) then if they do flat out deny it without paying anything, i'd make a pest of myself and see if i can accomplish anything that way. Hey, I have a cousin who lives in Roy who homebirths!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

do you know of anyone else in your state with the same insurance who has home birthed with a dem, and whether they were successful in getting reimbursed? its worth asking around. check finding your tribe, and maybe any local AP groups, lll, ICAN, etc. they might just cover it at an out of network rate. I personally would just cross my fingers, hope for the best, and go for it. have your midwife bill them after the birth and see what happens? (I wouldn't call the insurance ahead of time and ask, either. that just puts you on the radar as "oh, look, this person might submit a claim that we should probably deny"..or at least thats my superstition) then if they do flat out deny it without paying anything, i'd make a pest of myself and see if i can accomplish anything that way. Hey, I have a cousin who lives in Roy who homebirths!

Thanks I'll try asking around. I'm on the phone with them right now arguing, but if they still say no I might submit the claim after the birth anyway and argue it again. I'd just really like to get this taken care of before having a newborn if possible. 

What's your cousin's name? Maybe I know her?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

pmed

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw

Tags
Homebirth Insurance , Paying Your Midwife , Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin 90 Tablets

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page