Questions For Nursing Moms Who Are Pregnant...To Help Those Of Us TTC while Nursing. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Nursing Mamas. Congrats on your BFPs!! There are many of us who are aspiring to be on this board again. Since nursing adds some unique challenges to pregnancy, please help those of us TTCing out by answering a few questions. Thank you so much in advance.

How old is/was your nursling when you got a BFP?

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted?

How many dpo did you get a BFP? Did you have any early symptoms?

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc)

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP?

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy?

#2 of 37 Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

When I got my BPF with #2 dd was 27 months old.  With #3 ds was 14 months old.

With #2, dd was nursing about 3 times a day and was nightweaned.  With #3, ds was nursing frequently during the day and night.

Both times I was distracted by travel, stress, and general disbelief... I realized belatedly that my charts were abnormal.  I tested late for both of them (20+ DPO).  Looking back I did have some gaggy moments, smell/food aversions, and sore nipples with #2.  With #3 I definitely noticed sore nipples and my stomach totally bloating out- the m/s came a bit later.

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc)

No

Before, but I didn't think much of it b/c sometimes that happens off and on.  After the BFP's I realized what was going on and the nipple sensitivity increased quite a bit over the next few weeks.

The pain was so bad that I asked dd if we could stop nursing and she agreed.  With ds being so young still I toughed it out for about two months and finally night weaned.  Ds still nurses throughout the day, but I run out of milk by the afternoon if he nurses a lot (I'm almost 14 weeks).

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 37 Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM

How old is/was your nursling when you got a BFP?        15 months, I conceived baby #2 on my second PP cycle.     20 months, I conceived baby #3 on my third PP cycle.

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted?        Throughout the day and all night.     Randomly throughout the day and a little at night.

How many dpo did you get a BFP?      9 DPO.     9 DPO.

Did you have any early symptoms?     Sticky cm instead of none, sensitive nipples, awareness and "just knew" I had conceived.     Sticky cm instead of none, heartburn, cat nap in afternoon (I never nap), veiny breasts, awareness and "just knew" all by 7 DPO.

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc)?     No. I had experienced a very strong and healthy ovulation.     Nourishing,simple teas.

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP?      Before, and it was AWFUL! :(        Before again.

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy?       No, but I had to end nursing as it was waaaaaaaaaaay too painful. I tandem nursed for 1 year after #2 was born.      Completely weaned #2.

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#4 of 37 Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 AM

DS was 11mo when I got my first BFP.  Unfortunately, this pg ended in miscarriage.  I DO NOT believe the m/c was related to nursing in any way whatsoever!  I got pg again when DS was 17mo and I am currently 29wks pg (DS will be 2yo in a couple of weeks)

Every 3ish hours during the day and throughout the night with both BFPs.

Didn't know I was pg the 1st time until I missed my period.  I wasn't charting yet as it was my 1st pp cycle.  With pg #2, I got my BFP at 9dpo.  No early symptoms.

Not exactly.  I was using a fertility "cocktail" (EPO, Robitussin, B6/B50, folic acid) to help me conceive the 2nd time and I continued taking extra folic acid and baby aspirin after the BFP for about 2 months.

Not in general, but BFing was/is still very painful.

No, but he did dry nurse for several weeks after my milk production tanked (he's a hardcore boob manwinky.gif).  He has actually increased nursing now that I'm making colostrum.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#5 of 37 Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 AM

I have had 3 pregnancies while nursing. One was my 5 year old daughter, one was a miscarriage and one is my current pregnancy (18 week along now)

Pregnancy 1 - I got pg a week before DS's first birthday. 

Pregnancy 2 (m/c) - DS2 was 5 weeks old when I conceived

Pregnancy 3 - DS2 was a week or two shy of 1 year.

Pregnancy 1 - 8-9 times in 24 hour period, less during the day and more at night

Pregnancy 2 (m/c) - 24/7 as usual with a 5 week old (no supplements, no pacifiers, nursing on demand) :)

Pregnancy 3 - 6-7 times in 24 hour period, only twice during the day

Pregnancy 1 - I don't remember, probably 14dpo since I didn't test early

Pregnancy 2 (m/c) - Negative at 6 dpo (I was checking for residual hormones because I was pretty sure I ovulated), negative test at 10 dpo, negative at 11 dpo, positive at 16 dpo

Pregnancy 3 - Negative at 10 dpo, positive at 16 dpo

No, didn't do anything outside of vitamins and healthy diet

All 3 times I had some soreness at 10-18ish dpo and then nothing for a few weeks. Pretty bad nipple soreness by 6 weeks.

Nope, neither DS1 or DS2 ever cut down. They were both marathon nursers and aren't easily discouraged. My milk supply dropped at bit with two of the pregnancies but not with the m/c.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#6 of 37 Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM

How old is/was your nursling when you got a BFP? 32 months

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted? nightweaned but 4-6 x during the day

How many dpo did you get a BFP? Did you have any early symptoms? 10 dpo no early symptoms except felt funny after I ran a race

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc) no

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP? oh so sore starting about 6 weeks.

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy? yes, my milk supply has tanked and he nurses now 2-3 x day some dry nursing but he still loves it.

I started to ovulate 3 months after night weaning and got pregnant soon after that.

42 year old runnerjog.gif, hiker. Mom to DS(6/28/08) smile.gifand married to my best friend. Cloth diaper and plan to homeschool. Love my life in the mountains. Identical twin boys born 11/3/11 selectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpgbfolderchild.gifnocirc.giffambedsingle2.gif

#7 of 37 Old 05-25-2011, 01:29 PM

14 months

it differed by day... minimum of 4 times per night, 5 times per day

12-14 yes, dd was nursing more than usual, very very bloated, two pregnancy dreams, starving, exhausted

took vitex prior to conceiving and through the first few weeks. If i ahd a history of m/c i'd do it the whole first tri as it's safe for bothe nurslings and fetuses. I have endo as well and as soon as I began taking it I conceived both times.

they were sore the normal amount they would be before my period, slightly more week 5-6, slightly better now in week 7

notyet, but I plan to at least a bit.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#8 of 37 Old 05-25-2011, 02:24 PM

How old is/was your nursling when you got a BFP? DS was 31 months.

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted? 5-6 times a day.

How many dpo did you get a BFP? Did you have any early symptoms? 12 DPO. Yes, I was tired, had achy breasts, had a headache and was nauseated, already. 

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc) I did/ do not know what caused my two previous pregnancies to end in miscarriage, so I did not do anything other to increase my calcium intake and get more rest.

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP? Before, during, after. Now...

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy? DS has cut back, as I lost most of my milk during week 16. He nurses 3-4 times a day, now.

Best of luck to you all grouphug.gif.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#9 of 37 Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siffleuse319 View Post

Hi Nursing Mamas. Congrats on your BFPs!! There are many of us who are aspiring to be on this board again. Since nursing adds some unique challenges to pregnancy, please help those of us TTCing out by answering a few questions. Thank you so much in advance.

My nursling turned 14 months on the very day I got my BFP.

We were nursing wake up, bedtime, naptime, and sometimes in between, and through the night also. We had been doing this for a month or so.

I was 14 DPO, bu this is also the first day I tested. Good thing too; because I didn't realize I had a very insenstive test! Early symptoms? not that I recall, other than maybe a feeling of fullness in my uterus. Oh, I have notes! um. very, very tired, nausea - I have not thrown up due to morning sickness yet (I am 22 weeks)

I didn't do anything in particular, other than we were working on cutting back nursing sessions.

Nipples sore and breast tender AFTER bfp, and still are, very.

My supply dropped dramatically - I had no milk left  towards the end of my first trimester, and DS was weaned completely before we were out of it. The last nursing sessions to go were the night wake up ones. Once we night weaned, he was weaned completely. As my nipples are still very sore/tender, I am kinda glad.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#10 of 37 Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

18mo

Every 2-4 hours around the clock

Not really any early symptoms.  I got a bfp around 12dpo.

I was taking Vitex, but I don't think it did much.

Just the normal pms amount.

I'm currently 14w, my milk is nearly gone (I can still get a few drops), but she nurses as much as ever.

I got my AF back at 13mo pp, but it took me until 18mo's to get pregnant.  My first 2 pregnancies happened the first month that I tried, so this was unusual for me.  My cycles was very wacky (48 days long), even up to the month I conceived.  I didn't actually O until CD 30, but still managed to get pregnant.  Good luck!

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#11 of 37 Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 AM

I want to draw your attention to this research:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2265.1983.tb02978.x/abstract

Basically, it's saying that women seem to find it easier to conceive if they are nursing no more than 3x day with a total nursing time of 65 minutes.  Obviously this is an average, and not from a huge sample of women either.  There are some women who can conceive 6 months postpartum when still nursing 12 times a day.  But following these guidelines helped me a lot - I was TTCing for 6 months, gradually cutting down the feeds, but as soon as I dropped below these levels I conceived right away.

Hope this helps!

#12 of 37 Old 05-26-2011, 10:00 AM

How old is/was your nursling when you got a BFP?  21 Months

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted?  3-4 times per day

How many dpo did you get a BFP? Did you have any early symptoms?  9 DPO.  My only symptoms were that usually during thru right after ovulation nursing would hurt really bad, this month nursing hurt then stopped and then returned.  The return of the pain was unusual.  I also had a sex dream is something that is pretty common for me during pregnancy.

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc)  I was prescribed progesterone pills.  I took them from ovulation through BFP and then stopped per my OB's direction.

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP? See early symptoms above, but the sore nipples continue even now in the 3rd tri. 

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy?   Oh yea, totally.  He was not sleeping through the night when I got pregnant (21m) and by his second birthday he was.  We are now to a point where he occassionally goes down for naps or bed at night without nursing.  Some days we nurse once, some days up to three times, and other days no times at all.  There's no milk now - or if there is there is very very little.  He recently started saying there's milk when I ask him but I'm not sure. 

In my experience I had to really really reduce the amount of nursing sessions that we were having through gentle distraction and encouragement to do other things.  My cycles didn't even return until 16 months pp, and when they did my LP was *super* short until the cycle of the BFP when I was on the progesterone supplement.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#13 of 37 Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM

22 months

We WERE down to just before nap and just before bed and like two or three times overnight...until I got pregnant.

9 dpo I thought I saw something but looking back at the picture, it's hardly visible. Visible line on 11dpo and a positive digital on 13dpo.

I was taking progesterone cream to bring back my period (never came back) and taking a b-complex. I took the cream until about 9 weeks.

HECK YES. 14 weeks now and they're worse than ever. :(

Nope. Increased dramatically even though my supply is pretty much gone.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

#14 of 37 Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 PM

DS was about 20 months.

Quite frequently--as often as he could with me being WOHM--early morning, afternoon, evening off and on, and night nursing.

I suspected by 5 DPO when AF hadn't arrived (I had been having a seriously short LP--3-5 days). Think I got a visible-only-to-the-pee-stick-crazed eyes at 7 dpo.

I had Rx oral progesterone that I had been prescribed when I was TTC several months earlier. I took it, but i'm not sure if it was really necessary.

Don't really remember too well--I think the nursing pain kicked in pretty quickly after I got pregnant.

I'm 23 weeks now, and DS is down to just a couple nursings a day (with some leading on my part--I do refuse him a lot b/c of pain, etc.). I think my milk completely dried up early in the 2nd tri.

Unsolicited advice---You know how everyone says changing something quickly can make a difference? I didn't realize how short-lived said change should be. I believe the reason I was able to get pregnant (on accident after TTC for about 5 months!) was b/c I didn't nurse DS at all for 18-24 hours twice during a week span. We traveled over the holidays, didn't nurse during the car trip, then I came home, ovulated, and here I am....

#15 of 37 Old 05-26-2011, 03:27 PM

21 months

1-2 times per day, 5-6 times per night

don't know.

no

don't know

NO!!!! She went insane and at least doubled her nursing probably right after conception, in retrospect.

#16 of 37 Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 PM

How old is/was your nursling when you got a BFP? 14 months old 

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted? still nursing on demand and through the night, minimum of 7 times daily, quick nurser though who only nurses 5-10 minutes each time

How many dpo did you get a BFP? Did you have any early symptoms? 12dpo got positive dollar store and 13 got positive digital

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc) I lost the pregnancy at 6 weeks but keep getting reassured BFing wasn't a cause, first sign was lack of strong progression on pregnancy tests and I started bleeding about 4 days after I began to worry

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP? Never noticed much of a change in supply or tenderness before after or during pregnancy/MC

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy? N/A

Currently back to trying again with a 19mo old nursling!!

cloth diaperin' mama to one little boy!
#17 of 37 Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 PM

How old is/was your nursling when you got a BFP? 3

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted?  lots

5am

long wake-up feed

3pm feed at home time

6pm snack feed

9pm bedtime / sleep feed / long

How many dpo did you get a BFP? Did you have any early symptoms? bloating only symptom

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc) eating lots of eggs,meat,vegetables and nuts

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP? no

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy? not so far but only 7 weeks

#18 of 37 Old 05-28-2011, 11:49 AM

almost 3 years

reliably only at bedtime & first thing in the morning... occasionally during the day if she was bored/upset/wanted attention

day after expected period.  fatigue, nausea, aversion to alcohol... and the weekend of the positive test just felt weak & 'fuzzy'... also, i swear my daughter was extra grumpy for those first few weeks and she suddenly wanted to nurse more.

no - everything i read said there was no need.  i was nervous at first & tried to discourage my daughter from nursing, but never had any problems.

it took a few days/weeks (can't remember how long now) but ohmygoodness yes... at 14 weeks it is still agonizing when she latches & the first few seconds after... ok after that unless she is squirming around.

the opposite - she continues to want to nurse more that before.

#19 of 37 Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 PM

2 years 6months...( but as a side note all my kids were about this age when I got pregnant with the next nursing or not...must just be how my body works shrug.gif)

Several short sessions during the day and longer sessions at bedtime, first waking up and usually once during the night.

Don't know how many days DPO since I have never been able to tell when I O. I didn't have early symptoms but knew because I had implantation spotting the day after I would have expected my period.

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc)-

No

Nipple/breast soreness has never been a symptom for me but my nipples have been sore since about 14 weeks which may be due to the fact my son is still trying to nurse although I think I dried up around 10 weeks.

He had cut way back in the beginning..I actually thought he was going to wean (yay) but around the time I dried up he started back like normal and still tries several times a day..sometimes he says there is no milk and sometimes he says there is some..so IDK I cannot hand express anything though.

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#20 of 37 Old 05-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

She was exactly 1 year old when I conceived.  She was 1yr and 3 weeks when I got a positive preg test.

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted? I was nursing about 5 times a day, on 1 boob each time usually, probably about 5 ounces each feeding so about 25oz a day.

How many dpo did you get a BFP? My preg test showed positive 1 month after the last day of my last period.

Did you have any early symptoms? No other symptoms other than not getting my period.  I did expect that I was pregnant soon after I conceived, not sure why.  Mothers intuition?

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc) - I drink a pregnancy tea recommended by my midwife.  Equal parts of Red raspberry leaf, peppermint and alfalfa

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP? I am now 17 and a half weeks preg and have not had sore nipples yet, other than maybe extremely mild soreness now and then, hardly noticable.

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy?  She has cut down because I have worked with her.  We are down to 3 times per 24 hrs for the most part,  but I did substitute 1  feeding with raw goats milk for the first time today and she did great!  Sometimes we do feed more than 3 times though.

#21 of 37 Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 PM

How old was your nursling:
19 months

How often was he nursing when you conceived:
About 6 times in the day and 2-3 times at night.

How many dpo did you get a BFP?
I think about 16.

Did you do anything extra to sustain your pregnancy?
Nope.

Were your breasts or nipples sore before your BFP?
I tested because my breasts felt "weird." Not sore or tender... Just sort of different. They felt like they did last time I was pregnant.

What I think is interesting is that I actually have much less soreness/tenderness than I did last time around. (Extra morning sickness to make up for it though.) I expected it to be worse since I'm nursing.

Did your nursling cut down nursing during your pregnancy?
Well, we have a weird situation-- my son started a month of FT preschool right before I found out I was pregnant. So his six (or more... He will nurse constantly if I let him) daytime sessions necessarily disappeared. He is still happily nursing at any chance he can get when he's home and 2-3 times at night.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#22 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 AM

He was 19 months.

At least once every 2 hours, day and night.  Probably more like once an hour.  Unless we had a day where we were out and about.  He wasn't much for nursing in public when there were so many other things to focus on!

I wasn't charting, so I'm not exactly sure when I ovulated.  But I had the same symptoms that I normally had right before my period (face breaking out, crabbyness, a bit of breast tenderness).  I was a bit surprised to get the BFP, honestly, because with my first pregnancy I thought something might be up because of LACK of those symptoms.

Nope.

My breasts were a little sore for a few days before hand, but nothing major.  The real "ick" feeling started to happen around 10-12 weeks in.

Yes, he has tremendously, although only at my insistence.  We still nurse usually a couple times per day for comfort.  I think my milk was totally gone by about 14 weeks.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#23 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 PM

How old is/was your nursling when you got a BFP? 25.5 months

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted? Anywhere from 2 to 8 times a day. I don't really count. Usually towards the higher end I'd say.

How many dpo did you get a BFP? Did you have any early symptoms? 11 DPO. I had only had my IUD out for 2 cycles post, so I was having a ton of symptoms every time I ovulated. Though it certainly changed directly after the BFP. Super bloated, nausea, exhaustion. They all hit me hard and quick. 

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc) Nope.

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP? Oh goodness they're SORE. DD can't lay her head on me. Or move her head while nursing. Can't have the shower water hit them. DD latching on hurts. Bleh. 

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy? If anything, I'd say it's upped! She's asking for it a lot more. Might be a supply thing? 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#24 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 02:16 PM

I've been PG with a 2 YO nursling, a 3 YO nursling, a 4YO nursling, and a 2.5 YO nursling, and, OK, a 7 YO nursling, too. I lost two babies when DS was 2 and shortly after he turned 3, then had a successful pregnancy when he was 4, and am currently pregnant (and jury's out on this one still) with a 2 YO and a 7YO both nursing. My fertility did not return until ds was 2.5 years old, but returned more quickly with DD (1.5 years).

Multiple times a day.

I don't test immediately usually, so most of my BFPs have been 18/20 DPO. We don't usually TTC. I'm usually feeling ill at that point.

I take a B-vit supplement, but that's because I have a diagnosed genetic condition that requires it during pregnancy.

Not until 8/10 weeks, and not every pregnancy.

No, though when DS was 4, he would tell me when they were "empty." I cut down on his "just for fun" nursing as the pregnancy progressed because it was just annoying.

#25 of 37 Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

How old is/was your nursling when you got a BFP? dd was 19 months when i got my bfp with ds, and ds was 21 months when i got the bfp with this baby. ds was the first pp egg, and this baby was the 3rd pp egg :) incidentally, fertility returned about the same time both times!

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted? Oh goodness.. maybe 3-5 times a day, 1-3x at night? just guessing, hard to remember! I was tandeming. dd only nursed at bedtime.

How many dpo did you get a BFP? Did you have any early symptoms? with ds, it was 8dpo, i know because i used opks. with this baby, NO IDEA! My cycles weren't remotely regular and I just started testing because i thought there was a possibility. I think my first symptom was mild cramping. The normal kind, not the ominous kind. And a general feeling of being "under construction" in the pelvic area, uterus stretching, that kinda thing!

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc) nothing

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP? not till a few weeks into pregnancy at least? This just wasn't an early sign for me

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy? ds seems to have tapered down a little, but not significantly. dd weaned when my milk started tasting like colostrum around.. idk.. 8 weeks or so?! can't remember exactly. It was a month after she turned 4. With my pregnancy with ds, when my supply nosedived (quite early in the 1st tri, i think i was getting low by about 6 weeks!) she started nursing more than a newborn. It was INSANE. She just wanted it all damn day. I tried to count how many times.. I think I got to the upper 20s. I think she was trying to still get the same amount of volume! That didn't last long then she tapered down to normal when I fully dried up. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#26 of 37 Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

13 months

Quite often during the day and at least once at night.

It was a surprise.  In hindsight, I had some symptoms at 6-7 weeks.  But since I thought my BC was working, I didn't know until 11 weeks

No

They were sore, I don't know the timing.

Yes, at my prompting.  I nightweaned him, and limited time on nursing sessions.  Milk dried up somewhere in the middle.  At the end, I nursed a lot more since I was hoping to bring on labor.

#27 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

20 months

Probably 3-5 times during the day on weekdays (I WOH full time), more than that on weekends, and 2-3 times overnight

No idea.  I don't chart, we were NTNP, and I wait until I miss my period to test.  I think I had some bloating, that was about it.

no

Not before but definitely after

I have been trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) to wean her.  She just turned two and we are down to 1-3x during the day and none overnight. 

By the way, it seems like it might be useful for you to know when people's cycles came back in relation to when they got their BFP.  I think some women need a few cycles to pass before their fertility is back.  FTR I got my period back when DD was 10 months old.  I stopped pumping at work when she was 13 months old, and we stopped TTA when she was 16 months old.  Good luck and enjoy TTC!

thegoodearth likes this.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#28 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I got pregnant just after she turned 11 months old.

Around the clock and we coslept so through the night as well. It was my second period. I know many say on demand nursing keeps your period away a long time... but I got mine back at 10 months after birth.

I knew within a week.. I had the same weird light headed feelings I had with my first pregnancy, and a fullness in my pelvis I remembered from last time too. I think literally within 5 days I started saying I THINK I AM PREGNANT.. but I waited another week or so to test.

No nothing.

I have had a really easy breasfeeding relationship.. only 3 milk blisters that just hurt a few days before I got pregnant. No nipple pain after, but when my milk started to dry up about 22 weeks it got a little painful. Like a quick OUCH just as she started feeding, but it only lasted about 3 seconds then was back to normal.

At about 25 weeks I lost my milk completely but it hasn't stopped her. I am getting more sleep though as if I don't disturb her she sleeps through the night instead of waking 2-4 times. She still nurses to sleep and when she wakes. If she's busy during the day she forgets to nurse at all.. but if we are home she will nurse fairly regularly, but for shorter periods of time. There was a period when this happened she was waking in the middle of the night starving and wanting food... but we have that under control with more daytime meals.

#29 of 37 Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post

By the way, it seems like it might be useful for you to know when people's cycles came back in relation to when they got their BFP.  I think some women need a few cycles to pass before their fertility is back.  FTR I got my period back when DD was 10 months old.  I stopped pumping at work when she was 13 months old, and we stopped TTA when she was 16 months old.  Good luck and enjoy TTC!

Yes, I very much would like to know when ppl's cycles came back, as well as in relation to getting a BFP.

I'm nursing my almost 15 month old DS and still no AF. We're starting to think about TTC, but I have no clue when my cycle will return. greensad.gif

Mama to DS REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(March 2010) and DD  baby.gif  (June 2012)

#30 of 37 Old 06-07-2011, 10:24 AM

How old is/was your nursling when you got a BFP? 18/almost 19 mos.

How often were you nursing when you conceived and implanted? we nightweaned during the cycle i conceived!  she was nursing all night and around 3 times during the day and maybe 5 times during the day on the weekend (and around 4 or 5 times a night?).. but before i got the bfp, we were just down to 3-4 times a day. 

How many dpo did you get a BFP? Did you have any early symptoms? i think 10.  nursing made my cycles really long, i don't really chart and was surprised when using an opk that i o'ed on day 21-22!  it's possible my inability to continue night nursing was a symptom, though. 

Did you do anything to sustain your pregnancy (ie progesterone cream, primrose oil B6, etc) i take a supplement with vitex, called pregnancy prep.

Were your breasts or nipples sore before or after your BFP? lawd, yes. 

Did your nursling cut down during your pregnancy? not so far, but she is totally fine with night nursing! 

i will also say, i had 2 m/c while nursing and ttc.  the doc said it was totally unrelated, and i am older (37) so that means it was likely egg quality.  it's absolutely possible to conceive while nursing.. you just gotta keep trying! 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Tags
Breast Feeding Early Influences On Later Health Advances In Experimental Medicine And Biology , Breastfeeding In Combat Boots A Survival Guide To Successful Breastfeeding While Serving In The Mili , Breastfeeding Nursing Your Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page