Surviving Pregnancy with a Toddler! Tips! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-25-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 6 weeks pregnant with my second; DS is 26 months.  Nausea has hit hard since 4.5 weeks and I'm completely exhausted!  I'm basically feeling like I can't do anything anymore.  I used to take DS out a lot, we spent hours outside, but now I have to pee every half hour, so that doesn't happen.  We used to bake a lot but I'm disgusted by food in general.  He sleeps for just about an hour a day, and I definitely nap with him, but I've got no other time in the day. 

I'm just really overwhelmed and don't know how I'm going to make it!  I feel guilty too for my DS, I used to be way more fun!  We're both feeling kind of bored but my stomach just won't quit!  

So, experienced mamas....how did you handle toddlers and pregnancy?  How do I give him some of what he needs while still resting myself and not feeling totally ill?  

#2 of 11 Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM

Unfortunately, my DS watched a lot of TV in the early weeks of my pregnancy.  It's definitely not ideal, but it was just for a few weeks and it got me through the day a lot of times.  He would play and watch his cartoons and I would lay down on the couch in the same room and rest when I needed to.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#3 of 11 Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 AM

TV also got my through early pregnancy with my dd.  I had really bad m/s and had to lay down to keep my food in.  I know she was so bored but there was nothing I could really do.  DH was really good about taking her out when he got home for work and kind of making up for lost playtime between me and her.  Hopefully the fatigue and m/s will get better, mine did.  I'm able to do pretty much everything we used to do now except I can't pick her up as much (my dd is a big toddler 37 inches tall and 38 lbs at 25 mos).  And definately nap when they nap!  That saved me from a lot of the fatigue! 

But since it is spring/early summer I know it sucks you can't go outdoors as much.  Could you try spreading a blanket outside with several toys or games on it so you can at least sit down.  Or letting him play in the sand box or kiddie pool is good too so you can get some sun and relax as well. 

Hope it gets better for you in the coming weeks!

#4 of 11 Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM

I got cable for the first time in 14 years when I was pg and ds was just turning 2. Treehouse was fab!!!!

we got rid of it when I felt better in early summer/late spring :)

I lost 20lbs that pg...poor little stinkers-just cant get why momma cant play today :(

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#5 of 11 Old 05-26-2011, 11:55 AM

A little encouragment: most women feel better at least somewhat and get past the fatigue by the second trimester. In the meantime.....dont feel guilty. Remind yourself this is only temporary! A little extra tv time wont do any long term damage. Trust me. :)

#6 of 11 Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM

I hear you, OP!  The first 2.5 months of my pregnancy it rained here nonstop, our house was being renovated and I was exhausted/puking.  Brutal. Not only could we not get out much, our house was turned upside down and we couldn't even cook normal meals.  We were kind of stuck in the living room. We went from lots of playdates, library trips, bus rides, time outside, etc. and lots of routine, cooking, baking, painting etc to.....nothing.

Television.  Seriously.  I know it sucks and makes you feel guilty, but it's about survival!  

Stock up on playdough, crayons, new colouring books, new books, anything your little one enjoys.  A basin of soapy water and some toys to "wash" was great fun for DD.  

Take naps with them.  Let the housework slide if you have to.  

And, this too shall pass.  Our renos are done, the weather is nicer, and I am feeling SO much better - and we are back to our normal routines, activities, gardening, etc.  And you will soon be back to normal and enjoying all the summer has to offer!

ETA:  Stickers!!!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#7 of 11 Old 05-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Oh honey, don't I know it. I was a bad mom for those first few months. My house was a disaster, my DD was bored, my DH was hungry and I was miserable. I feel better now, but the weather is horrible, so we don't get out much. Oh well. DD watched way too much TV, but she seemed to learn something. She can sing the whole "wonder pets" theme song:eyesroll

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#8 of 11 Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 PM

I'm right there with you.  I'm 7 weeks and DD is 22 months.  I haven't taken her out to playgroup, the playground, the pool, or anything the past two days.  Our eating is horrendous.  The house is a mess.  I feel extra nauseous just talking to her.  She's getting bored, but I can't stomach anything.  I'm just trying to focus on doing what I can do, like reading books together.  I feel incredibly guilty because I feel like I'm just being a baby about the nausea, and I need to just suck it up for the sake of my child.  But I feel like I can't do ANYTHING.  With the sudden increase lack of sleep, I'm pretty much miserable.  Sorry, didn't mean to just start complaining. =)

Do you have friends or family that can come over and entertain your DS?  Also, you probably know this, but even though it feels really hard to muster up the motivation get out and do stuff, it usually makes me feel a little better.

#9 of 11 Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so relieved to find all that support!  It's been such a struggle, and I try to remind myself that he still is spending the day with Mama, it just isn't as busy as before.  But he's still happier with me when we lie on the couch than not with me so, hopefully we'll make it through?  Day by day...

I didn't even get to food, and now I have to add...he's been eating so much cereal!!!  I always tried to limit the processed food, lots of veg. and fruit all that good stuff.  I gave him a banana this morning...I didn't taste it, but I gagged...bananas should not be in the house right now.  Cereal is relatively low odour, easy to prepare and that's a bonus considering I hate being in the kitchen at the moment, since everything stinks.  I don't even want to eat the bland toast right now, everything seems revolting, and my kid wants to snack all day...so cereal it is!  We have the rest of our lives to eat well, right??

#10 of 11 Old 05-26-2011, 07:14 PM

hug.gif

Yes, you will make it through this tough time, and you will put things back together again. In the meantime, keep in mind that you are giving him a beautiful gift -- the gift of a sibling! love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomama View Post

I'm so relieved to find all that support!  It's been such a struggle, and I try to remind myself that he still is spending the day with Mama, it just isn't as busy as before.  But he's still happier with me when we lie on the couch than not with me so, hopefully we'll make it through?  Day by day...

I didn't even get to food, and now I have to add...he's been eating so much cereal!!!  I always tried to limit the processed food, lots of veg. and fruit all that good stuff.  I gave him a banana this morning...I didn't taste it, but I gagged...bananas should not be in the house right now.  Cereal is relatively low odour, easy to prepare and that's a bonus considering I hate being in the kitchen at the moment, since everything stinks.  I don't even want to eat the bland toast right now, everything seems revolting, and my kid wants to snack all day...so cereal it is!  We have the rest of our lives to eat well, right??

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#11 of 11 Old 05-30-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomama View Post

Oh, the amount of cereal we have gone through!!!  DD has also been in a major growth spurt and I have just been throwing her ANYTHING I can find to eat - juice boxes, crackers, cereal, mega plates of fruit, pizza.....I can't remember the last time I cooked a green vegetable.

Think of it this way (and with the tv thing too), we normally do everything we can to make sure they have super healthy meals and play.....and the fact that our "normal" is so good makes it okay to slide when we have to!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. B. Sprout View Post

hug.gif

Yes, you will make it through this tough time, and you will put things back together again. In the meantime, keep in mind that you are giving him a beautiful gift -- the gift of a sibling! love.gif

yeahthat.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Tags
Children In Changing Families Life After Parental Separation Understanding Childrens Worlds , Sibling Rivalry Relational Problems Involving Brothers And Sisters Encyclopedia Of Psychological Dis , Sibling Stories Reflections On Life With A Brother Or Sister On The Autism Spectrum

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page