What prenatal vitamins are best? What to get?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 01-02-2013, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm taking Now prenatals as I had heard that they are a good brand. But I can't find any reviews or experiences with them, so now I'm concerned I've not made the best of choices. Has anyone here used Now prenatals?

#32 of 53 Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM

I LOVE my prenatal vitamin. I bought it randomly at Whole Foods last time I was pregnant (not this time) because it was natural and made from whole food sources, but affordable. Then, I unfortunately had a miscarriage, and held on to the bottle. One day, I decided I wanted to take a multi, so I randomly grabbed that bottle and started taking it again, and I realized within like 3 hours that my energy was up!!! I was shocked, because there are no "boosters" in it, just vitamins and natural things. So I figured, wow, this is a good multi/prenatal, because I have taken many multis in the past, even expensive ones from health food stores, and never noticed a benefit I could feel.

So....the vitamin is by Rainbow Light and it is called Prenatal One. And apparently it is very popular among pregnant women. The pill is rather large, and I have a hard time swallowing pills, so I switched to the Rainbow Light Prenatal Petite, which is the same thing, but 3 smaller pills instead of one big one. I buy it from iherb.com because it's much cheaper there. I will honestly keep taking it even after I give birth!!!! I even bought their adult multi for my hubby, because I was so impressed with the quality.

Even though there are probiotics in that vitamin, I am taking additional ones, but I would be sure to take ones without enteric coating listed as an ingredient, or that say "survives stomach acid" because that coating contains phthalates which are bad. I bought Now brand Probiotic-10 25 Billion, and Sedona Labs iFlora for Women. I had a big yeast die off (bad headaches, achey body) from the Now one, so start slowly, dumping some/most out of the capsule.

Also, I take Carlson "The Very Finest" fish oil pills in orange flavor. I buy those from iherb.com too. I don't like using the liquid. I personally prefer Carlson's "the very finest"pills vs their fish oil concentrate pills....since it's not concentrated, you end up taking more to get the same level of DHA and EPA. However, I notice that only that one seems to help my anxiety, so I figure why mess with success? Maybe it's just me. I am sure either is okay, but that's my preference. I really like the Carlson brand though and trust them. My thought is that you don't wanna mess around when something is coming from the polluted oceans and you're taking it daily.

So those are the three things I am taking. :)

#33 of 53 Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM

nettlesoup, I know iherb.com sells Now brand, so I would check that website, type the vitamin in the search bar, and you'll see a lot of reviews on the Now prenatal result page, I'm sure. (I think you have to click where the reviews are to actually read them, unlike Amazon where you just scroll down). That is why I like the iherb site so much, besides the prices....there are always a lot of reviews. I do recommend the Rainbow Light Prental One or Prenatal Petite though (see above), but haven't tried the Now. I like Now brand in general though, because I took a lot of supplements for my chronic fatigue, and half the time I go with Now. Now is affordable, but still really high quality, in my experience. I like Rainbow Light for prenatals because it's a whole food source, not sure if Now's prenatal is. But overall I do like Now as a company.

#34 of 53 Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 AM

Thanks for that Bobcat! I had a look and although there was only one review, it was a very good one.

#35 of 53 Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM

I was taking Rainbow Light prenatals but after testing my Naturopath found that I wasn't absorbing them well because I have terrible digestion so he put me on Vital Nutrients prenatals for easier absorption.
#36 of 53 Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM

I'm taking 2 NOW liquid multi-gels per day (and a bunch of other stuff) and I don't think I'm going to buy a prenatal vitamin. Comparing both NOW supps side by side, they are almost identical, except for the DHA/EPA which I prefer to get from fish oil, and the B12 (and I'm taking a pretty hefty extra dose of that for other issues). Can anyone think of any other reason I am missing that I would specifically need a "prenatal" vitamin?
#37 of 53 Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 PM

I take Shaklee's vitamins. I've done so well on them that I became a distributor because of it. I even added the Vit. D and the B vitamins because of my hashimoto's I'm already exceptionally low.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#38 of 53 Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 AM

Also, just FYI, my doctor (an alternative MD) says NOW are the only multis he recommends. He says that you should always take gel caps, as tablets and liquids don't have enough B vitamins due to consistency (tablets) or taste (liquid). He sells mostly NOW vitamins in his office. I'm sure they aren't the only "good" vitamin out there, but I think they are pretty great. I like them, anyway.
#39 of 53 Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 AM

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better about them!

#40 of 53 Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM

Madelyn,  My prenatal has 10 mg choline, are you getting choline? I think it is important for the fetal brain. My understanding is that the prescription prenatals may or may not have it??? or might have lower doses (so it's not really on the mainstream radar), and the 10 mg my prenatal has is actually rather high for a prenatal, but that is still not even what we should be getting daily while pregnant. So I'd check on that. We do get it commonly from food, it's in eggs.....but it was one of the nutrients I looked into, on top of enough folate, DHA/EPA, etc since It IS supposed to be important to the fetal brain.

If you eat eggs with the yolk daily, you are probably okay, or just google what has choline.

#41 of 53 Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 PM

New Chapter for sure!

#42 of 53 Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM

Does anyone have any information on taking PABA supplements?  I know there is debate on the topic.  Thank you!

#43 of 53 Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Rainbow Light here, too.  And, yes, several women I know have had issues with their prenatals making them nauseated, but none of them have had issues with the RL ones I've given them to try.

#44 of 53 Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM

Rainbow Lite here too!  They never brought on any nausea for me! 

Work-at-home mama of one tot with another on the way!

I blog here and at www.hippieswithbabies.com.

#45 of 53 Old 03-18-2013, 05:53 AM

My daughter  have been hearing bad reports about soy too and she is looking for another  supplement.  Any suggestions?

#46 of 53 Old 05-11-2013, 11:09 AM

I recently came across a liquid prenatal vitamin (https://www.prenatalliquidvitamin.com/) - I have a hard time with pills during my first trimester and feel like this might be a great option - anyone out there ever tried a liquid prenatal?

#47 of 53 Old 10-17-2013, 01:14 PM

I used the Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal.  Vitamins normally make my stomach hurt and sometimes I can't keep them down. These were the only vitamins I could take on an empty stomach or with coffee and I've been feeling great. 

More info: http://ibookmarkedit.com/rainbow-light-just-once-prenatal-one-multivitamin-tablets-150/

#48 of 53 Old 10-25-2013, 04:17 PM

I'm taking the New Chapter Perfect Prenatals. I don't think the fermented soy is an issue, correct? I'm also taking a liquid iron supplement for anemia. 

It sounds like a lot of people are supplementing their prenatal with DHA and/or magnesium and calcium. Were these recommended by OB/midwives? What dosage is everyone taking and they're definitely safe to take during pregnancy? What DHA brand is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

#49 of 53 Old 01-08-2014, 06:46 AM

Garden of Life RAW prenatals offers folate (natural form) instead of folic acid. Most prenatal vitamins gives you folic acid. Just for your information, natural folate (on foods) tends to loose its activity in days or weeks (depend on how is it stored). From foods, you may only get less than 30% of its activity. That's why most prenatal vitamins uses folic acid. But I make a call to Garden of Life, and the make clarification that natural folate is contained on in, not folic acid. 

GOL raw prenatal also contains a lot of vitamins and element, mostly they gives you whatever vitamins you need and safe amount. Check on http://best-prenatal-vitamins-review.com/garden-of-life-vitamin-code-raw-prenatal-review/

#50 of 53 Old 06-26-2014, 09:18 AM

if you have problem with vitamins and you don't know which vitamin you need to chose here follow this link and you will discover all about vitamin that needs for a women

http://www.healthyisright.com/?p=465
#51 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 AM

My mom is a registered nurse. The absolute BEST prenatal vitamins are Joli Mere. Not only do they PREVENT STRETCH MARKS on your stomach, but they are also the SAFEST prenatal vitamins available! Their Vitamin A is plant-based instead of retinol-based (retinol-based is really dangerous), and they also contain Biotin, but not too much. If you have too much Biotin, you can have a miscarriage. But if you don't have enough Biotin, you can have birth defects. Joli Mere is the ONLY prenatal vitamin that I trust with my baby's health AND the beauty of my skin. Their website is www . jolimere.com.
#52 of 53 Old 06-27-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Shaklee, but there is a membership to buy their products. Also rainbow light. ( more affordable and easy to get)
#53 of 53 Old 07-09-2014, 04:17 AM

I've been using the Douglas Labs Prenatal Pack. I think it's been discontinued so I suppose I'll have to find a new one.

http://www.eganmedical.com/Prenatal-...s-pnp65330.htm

Tags
Maternity Vitamins Nutrition , Nutrition Now Vitamin C Immune Support Orange 70 Gummies , Carlson Labs Norwegian Natural Vitamin E Cod Liver Oil Lemon 500ml

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page