How do you celebrate being pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do to celebrate or enjoy your pregnancy? Do you do prenatal yoga? Maternity photos? Belly casting? Prenatal Massage? Do you buy special clothes? Eat special foods? Do other things?

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 27 Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 AM

I do prenatal yoga each night and my5 boys like to join me. :)  I also take a monthly progression belly pic. When I am really huge I let the kids paint with fingerpaints on my belly and we take pictures of it. I slowdown everythng in my life and spend far more time internalizng and meditating and communicating with my unborn child. I also do olive oil/lavende oil belly masages every night to relieve itchiness, avoid stretch marks and relax me.

jessica_lizette likes this.
#3 of 27 Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

by eating all the time.

Mommel likes this.
#4 of 27 Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Lots of desserts, unapologetic naps during the day and buying at least 1 new baby carrier  <<----- *mild obsession bag.gif

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#5 of 27 Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM

We did a belly cast last time. I'm not sure if I'll do it this time.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#6 of 27 Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

by eating all the time.

lol.gif

This time around, it is all about making myself feel more attractive than I did when I was pregnant with DD.  So, i have been splurging on new clothes, new sandals, dresses etc. to make the summer as pretty as possible.  I am also trying to take really good care of myself and do special things like nice toenail polish, bubble baths etc. 

I would also like to do a family portrait to celebrate this time of it being just the three of us

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#7 of 27 Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 PM

taking naps and letting DP take care of more chores (without feeling too guilty)

#8 of 27 Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM

pedicures! woohoo!

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#9 of 27 Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Enjoying my curvy, round self.  Usually I don't much enjoy my body as it is, but I loooooooove being pregnant and round and big-boobed! 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#10 of 27 Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 PM

I LOVE my pregnant body, too. I feel like a real mother goddess; round and fertile.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#11 of 27 Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I take a belly pic every two weeks and put together a progression.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#12 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 AM

SANY2274.JPGMy husband just did henna on my belly this morning in preparation for our UC any day joy.gif

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#13 of 27 Old 05-29-2011, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

by eating all the time.

Yes. This.  Haagen Daaz every day

#14 of 27 Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM

I LOVE this thread!

Honestly, this pregnancy has been such a difficult time for me (I found myself unexpectedly single at 4 months pregnant) that I haven't even thought about this until now, but I am going to start a celebration ritual TONIGHT!

Thank you! I needed that.

Moo.

#15 of 27 Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 AM

Is being obsessed with being pregnant considered celebrating?  winky.gif

One of the things that makes me happiest is talking to my DS1 about his baby brother and then in turn when DS1 brings up DS2 on his own in conversation.  It delights me a ridiculous amount.  Things that I do for *me*...hopefully getting belly pictures taken soon, hopefully going for a massage soon.  I take naps at every opprotunity.  I eat when I should, even if it means stopping for some type of fast food, instead of skipping a meal like I usually would.  I take weekly belly photos.  I blog my pregnancy thoughts and emotions in an online journal.

Being pregnant is one of, if not the most amazing things ever.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#16 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I love all these ideas--thanks for sharing them!

So many great suggestions: massage, naps, journaling, pedicures, eating good food, meditating, slowing down.... I'm going to have to try some of them. orngbiggrin.gif

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#17 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM

I got a massage and a pedicure on Saturday... it was lovely. love.gif

Moo.

#18 of 27 Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 PM

I love my pregnant body too. It feels like the only time it's okay to be round and soft! I celebrate through clothing. I love clothes anyway, but I especially like making new maternity clothes. I'm having my 6th baby (7th pregnancy) and have never had a pedicure or treatment despite saying I would every time. Well, this time I definitely will. And I would love to have a henna painting done on my big belly later in the pregnancy and would love a Blessing Way.

I think my best crunchy mama friend will be nearby close to the birth (She lives thousands of mile away from me) and she does the henna painting, so I might get lucky this time!

It is so nice to talk about how women celebrate pregnancy, it's beautiful. love.gif

Wife partners.gif and mama of five grouphug.gif,  Alfie angel2.gif 12/10  and Louie angel2.gif 6/11, CPangel1.gif5/12, CP angel1.gif3/14
#19 of 27 Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Wow, you ladies are some very happy pregnant mamas! I love being pregnant, but don't do anything to celebrate it. I hardly even talk about it. No one else is interested in it, so I don't bug anyone about it. I wish it could be all sunshine & lollipops & happiness for me, but it isn't. DH isn't involved at all, and doesn't do anything special for me. It seems silly to celebrate something that is only enjoyed by me.

#20 of 27 Old 06-15-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

Wow, you ladies are some very happy pregnant mamas! I love being pregnant, but don't do anything to celebrate it. I hardly even talk about it. No one else is interested in it, so I don't bug anyone about it. I wish it could be all sunshine & lollipops & happiness for me, but it isn't. DH isn't involved at all, and doesn't do anything special for me. It seems silly to celebrate something that is only enjoyed by me.

Mollie, I am so sorry that you feel the people around you IRL do not share in your excitment. Does it count that I am happy for you? We lost babies last year right around the same time and I remember identifying deeply with your pain and sense of loss. I am so very, very happy that you are now carrying twins!

I am not trying to be trite, but maybe you would benefit from some simple kind of celebratory ritual; soaking your feet after work, going for a slow, gentle walk or swim, allowing yourself a few minutes each morning to focus on your little babies and "talk" internally to them, or anything else that seems appealing, really. 

I can only imagine how it must be to fell unsupported, and I am sorry. hug2.gif Does your DH know how alone you feel in this?

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#21 of 27 Old 06-15-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:

hug2.gifHugs to you, Mama! My partner took off in March and has yet to contact me since, so I understand a little bit about feeling unsupported. And truth be told, I despise being pregnant physically and emotionally speaking, but in trying to accept the reality of where I am and focus on the future joy of being a mama, I thought I'd jump on board the happiness train and just do the actions to celebrate even though I didn't feel like it... I have to say, from experience, that it works. I feel better and even though my external circumstances haven't changed (still broke, still have a crappy car and no health insurance, still no partner in sight, etc...), I'm excited about marking my time in this strange new form in a memorable way because I know it won't last for long... which on some days is more of a comfort than anything. LOL

Moo.

#22 of 27 Old 06-16-2011, 03:38 PM

This is a great thread! I definitely allow myself ice cream daiy. I counted calories constantly while not pregnant so allowing myself to eat what my body wants is a real celebration!

Married to my soul mate stillheart.gif on July 31, 2010, Mama to Lennon August babyboy.gif born August 28, 2011, brokenheart.gif (10/10)

cd.gif  winner.jpg waterbirth.jpg familybed1.gifvbac.gif

#23 of 27 Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparkly View Post

Quote:

Mollie, I am so sorry that you feel the people around you IRL do not share in your excitment. Does it count that I am happy for you? We lost babies last year right around the same time and I remember identifying deeply with your pain and sense of loss. I am so very, very happy that you are now carrying twins!

I am not trying to be trite, but maybe you would benefit from some simple kind of celebratory ritual; soaking your feet after work, going for a slow, gentle walk or swim, allowing yourself a few minutes each morning to focus on your little babies and "talk" internally to them, or anything else that seems appealing, really. 

I can only imagine how it must be to fell unsupported, and I am sorry. hug2.gif Does your DH know how alone you feel in this?

Thank you, cparkly, for being happy for me! There's so much I'm paranoid over this time, I'm almost scared to do anything joyful. I'm scared to buy anything, to get too attached, or to make anything for them. DH knows how worried I am, but does nothing to help with it. He hasn't even tried feeling them move yet.

#24 of 27 Old 06-17-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

hug2.gifHugs to you, Mama! My partner took off in March and has yet to contact me since, so I understand a little bit about feeling unsupported. And truth be told, I despise being pregnant physically and emotionally speaking, but in trying to accept the reality of where I am and focus on the future joy of being a mama, I thought I'd jump on board the happiness train and just do the actions to celebrate even though I didn't feel like it... I have to say, from experience, that it works. I feel better and even though my external circumstances haven't changed (still broke, still have a crappy car and no health insurance, still no partner in sight, etc...), I'm excited about marking my time in this strange new form in a memorable way because I know it won't last for long... which on some days is more of a comfort than anything. LOL

Thank you! I should do something, as it is a special time, but I never did anything with the other kids, so it seems a little weird to me.

#25 of 27 Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Thank you! I should do something, as it is a special time, but I never did anything with the other kids, so it seems a little weird to me.

Weird, schmeird! Just dive in, mama! And get the little ones involved... maybe get them all to finger paint your belly and take pictures!! (Don't forget to share them too!!) Yaaaay!!! (*kermit the frog flailing arms*)

Moo.

#26 of 27 Old 06-17-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

And get the little ones involved... maybe get them all to finger paint your belly and take pictures!!

What an awesome idea!!! I think I'm going to do that once I near my due date, and the kids will have a decent sized canvas!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#27 of 27 Old 06-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparkly View Post

I LOVE my pregnant body, too. I feel like a real mother goddess; round and fertile.

Geez, I wish I could feel this way.  Sadly, I *hate* being pregnant.  I love being a mom and am really excited for the new baby but I just can't stand the prospect of having to still be pregnant for another four months.  And honestly right now the biggest roadblock in my mind to ever having a third someday is the thought that I would have to be pregnant *again* for that to happen.

This has even been an easy pregnancy compared to my last; I had lots of MS with DD but haven't thrown up since about 15 weeks this time, which is awesome.  But I just can't stand having to walk around looking pregnant all the time.  I am a very private person and I hate having everyone know all about this aspect of my personal life.  DH is having a baby too but nobody is poking his belly and asking him personal questions.  I also just feel like I look big and sloppy which I also dislike.  All of my maternity clothing is horribly ugly and I don't have the time or inclination to waste money shopping for more.  And I am dreading the thought of having a pouchy belly for months and months postpartum (it took 18 months after DD to get back to my old measurements). 

I feel guilty for feeling this way because I know there are lots of women who would just love to be pregnant and are having a hard time getting there.  But it doesn't really change things for me.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Tags
My Child Is Pregnant What Are My Rights , Getting Pregnant What You Need To Know Right Now , Getting Pregnant The Natural Way Womens Natural Health Series

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page