Sharp Cervix Pinches at 36 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First time momma here, planning a home birth.   I'm very active and I've been feeling great, although getting a bit tired.   The baby is a mellow one it seems like.   Rolls and kicks everyday but nothing painful.   The last few weeks when s/he is most active, I will regularly feel a bit of a head butt down on the cervix.   I wouldn't say it hurts, but a little more uncomfortable than the upper belly movements.   My bff had a baby in January, and never felt anything on her cervix. 

The head has been down since at least 28 weeks, and at my 34 weeks appt. the midwife said, "Oh, that head is pretty well lodged.   Are you peeing a lot?"   Yep!   But I drink so much that I always pee a lot.   Since then though, I've been thinking about it, and realizing that the head just feels *heavy* in my pelvis towards the second half of the day.   There is this pumpkin that I'm holding in my low abdomen!

Yesterday, I walked all over.  A total of over 4 miles.  I did lots of all fours and yoga in between (I'm a yoga teacher).  On my last leg of the journey, the cervix pain was so sharp I cried out, had to stop in the street, and really thought for a moment that something big was going to happen.   It subsided after a few moments.  

This all makes me wonder if I'm going on the early side.   I've been working *so* hard on settling in to potentially not give birth until July.   To think about maybe giving birth in the first half of June is simultaneously awesome and terrifying.   Mostly, I don't want to get any hopes up and then have a miserable few weeks waiting for the baby.  

So, any thoughts?   What's happening physically, do you think?  Where should I get my head mentally?   This incident yesterday made me a little scared of labor, perhaps for the first time. I know I can/will do it, but when it's really here, it's going to be crazy!

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 12:07 PM

I felt a lot of what you are describing, especially with my second. He was head down from 20 weeks on and really low from 32ish weeks on. It was nice to be able to breathe and not have hearburn, but I had trouble even sitting up strait for more than 5 minutes.

At 36 weeks I wouldn't be worried. You might have the baby on the early side, or your body might just be getting ready a few weeks early. I know I was 4 cm for at least 2 weeks and had him just after I was 39 weeks.

My third was breech till 37 weeks and that was just totally different pain. Nothing like a head in your ribs all the time, and when he turned- twice-Youch!

CPST, LLL and Mom to a 9yr old animal lovin' girl, 6yr old wild man,  4 yr old cuddle bug and 1 year old "little brother."

Now we are growing the family with chickens, ducks, and dairy goats.

#3 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 12:09 PM

I hate to say it, but I had pains like that for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy.  The cervix can dilate/efface over months or hours.  It could mean that you'll have a shorter actual labor, but I wouldn't take this as a sign that you'll be early. 

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#4 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!   I kind of wanted to hear someone say that had these pains for several weeks.  Not that I want these pains for several weeks - but more that it helps me mentally to realize that I could still "go long."   I'm going to keep walking, and of course, I'll let you all know in June and July's ddc when this babe comes :)

#5 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 PM

I had those pains for about 3 weeks.  It was mostly after a lot of walking, and I believe it was my cervix dilating/effacing.  I was about 3 cm dilated before I started early labor contractions.  Labor started 14 past due date and we had to do practically everything to get labor started naturally.  No worries!

#6 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maptome View Post

I had those pains for about 3 weeks.  It was mostly after a lot of walking, and I believe it was my cervix dilating/effacing.  I was about 3 cm dilated before I started early labor contractions.  Labor started 14 past due date and we had to do practically everything to get labor started naturally.  No worries!

Yeah, my gut says that's what's happening.   They say from the ultrasound that I have a long cervix (which was good to hear at 18 weeks, when you definitely don't want to dilate), so if it's effacing and getting ready now, maybe that *does* mean that when I go, it won't take forever for my cervix to open. 

We just never know.   A very interesting experience though!

#7 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 05:31 PM

I felt sharp pains when my daughter would push her head against the cervix, too. It is a pain that doesn't feel like anything else...except maybe a really bad pap smear.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 8 Old 05-28-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameragirl View Post

I felt sharp pains when my daughter would push her head against the cervix, too. It is a pain that doesn't feel like anything else...except maybe a really bad pap smear.

I get them too with this pregnancy and my last. Sometimes it knocks me off my feet. Totally normal, though.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Tags
Birth Arts International

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page