June 2011 Whatever Ladies Graduates - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 299 Old 06-30-2011, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

One of the toughest things for me is getting in/out of the car.  I thought it was just normal.  But I didn't realize it should be just moderately odd/uncomfortable and I shouldn't be wincing in pain.

Oh God, that reminds me of the agony at the end with dd#2. I almost cried every time...the worst was trying to get out of bed. 

oh I forgot....Annie---that's how I knew my babies were coming...menstrual cramps a few days before every time! Love that my body tells me a few days ahead of time so I can prepare! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 299 Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

Oh God, that reminds me of the agony at the end with dd#2. I almost cried every time...the worst was trying to get out of bed. 

oh I forgot....Annie---that's how I knew my babies were coming...menstrual cramps a few days before every time! Love that my body tells me a few days ahead of time so I can prepare! 

Hi Kinder!!!  Ugh, sorry about your morning sickness.  Hang in there -- it has to get better at some point, right?

Annie, what Kinder is saying sounds promising!!! Eeeek!!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#273 of 299 Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Annie, what Kinder is saying sounds promising!!! Eeeek!!!

Ooooh, you'll be 38w on Monday, right?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#274 of 299 Old 07-01-2011, 05:26 AM

Kindermama - she will likely be Norah Lorraine. (it is about 99% certain) but we like to leave some room for adjustment.

Carrie - is SPD anything a chiro can help with? It sounds awful!

MW: some people just like to show their love in gifts - even if it is things that don't make any sense - don't feel bad about returning it for what you want, at least he was thinking of  you, which is something!

As for my friend, she is still pregnant, thank goodness, and still in the hospital. they were able to stop her contractions, but she is still bleeding a little. I think the thought is, is if she is having bleeding and such on as strict bedrest as the hospital enforces, what might happen if she is home? I am going to visit again today, she is going stir crazy.

As for me, MIL is supposed to come sometime today to help pack. I will be gone part of the day for the hospital visit and also to see the chiro and get my massage :) DH thinks I am crazy as I haven't told my parents yet that we are moving. I told him I wanted to do that when we are both there, I need the moral support. I think he thinks that's silly, but it is the truth!

Annie, hope that baby comes soon!

I hate packing and moving. If someone would come do it for free, I would be so glad!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#275 of 299 Old 07-01-2011, 06:37 AM

Oh Kindermama, bless you for saying that! I sincerely hope that this discomfort means she's going to come soon. Although I go back and forth on whether I would like her to come while the kids are home or when they are with their mom. Each situation has it's own complications and drama so it feels like choosing the lesser of two evils. The kids are home next week but then they will be gone for two weeks after that. Of course, the way I am feeling this morning, I don't really give a rat's behind when she decides to come...I just want her here!

Yes, I'll be 38w on Monday so really starting the countdown. Ultrasound this afternoon to see where this little monkey has landed. She was moving a ton last night so who knows?

Baby_Cakes, I think you should consider visiting a chiro. I have that pain when I go too many days in between chiro visits. Getting up from a chair or getting in and out of the car is the worst. But when I get adjusted, particularly when he can pop my pelvis back in to place, it makes the pain almost disappear.

MW, how's your cold/sinus stuff? Still bad?

Kindermama, I hope your nausea goes away soon. I still remember how bad I felt and don't want to revisit that any time soon!

JJ, how are things going with you?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#276 of 299 Old 07-01-2011, 06:06 PM

Katrina- I love Norah Lorraine! Beautiful! You guys have all picked out really great names! 

Annie- So soon!!!

Carrie- I bet a few chiro adjustments would really help from here on out. I plan to go back to my chiro towards the end....hoping to avoid back labor! I'll do anything. 

Another fun thing to share...I just felt the first kick today! It was so awesome! I was sitting in a chair and I leaned forward to rest my elbows on my knees. My maternity shorts panel kinda pushed into my belly (along with my fat roll hahaha!) and then....then I felt a swift kick! It could not have been anything else. I've felt squirming here and there for the 1.5 weeks but this was a kick. Okay, I have to admit, it felt REAL after feeling that! 

#277 of 299 Old 07-01-2011, 06:11 PM

Well, baby is still breech...greensad.gif

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#278 of 299 Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Oh Annie *hugs*  Any change in position? She was footling before, right? Maybe she'll still get the feet up there to make a vaginal breech not an impossibility...

I'm still here, trucking along. We've been doing tons of reading and research lately, and I've got a four day weekend right now, so I'm taking advantage and trying to top to bottom clean the house. We've made a lot of progress today, and then I ate dinner and it didn't sit well... so I'm kind of lazing away on the couch for the rest of the night probably. 

We have our first appointment on Monday with our OB... who will then pass over our care at the end of August to a new OB. Anything you guys can think of for questions, etc? Right now all I can think of is trying to get opinions from her on who she thinks will be the best OB in the practice to pass me over to (ie laying out flat that I pretty much want an unassisted hospital birth, and then seeing who she thinks is most likely to give me that.  It's just a weird situation, because she won't be my OB... so I can tlak for hours about my birth plan, but I don't think it will matter much. I'm really not thinking I'm going to get a whole lot out of the appt... other than maybe to ask about the GTT. I'm... hesitating about the test, and wondering about my options. I have no risk factors whatsoever, and if DH is ok with it... I may look into declining it. I'm really that big of a non-fan of needles and having blood drawn. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#279 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 12:50 AM

She's still footling breech. The MFM OB suggested that I schedule the c-section as close as possible to my EDD so that she still has the opportunity to flip. He said that he has had other patients that have done that and when they come in for surgery, they do a quick scan and baby has flipped vertex. I had him check all around to see if there was something that he saw that would keep her from flipping like being wrapped up in her cord or something. He didn't see anything like that. I really trying to come to terms with the idea that maybe that's just how she needs to be. I've had a couple of really good chiro sessions so there should be no reason for her not to turn. 

#280 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 05:20 AM

Annie, fx she does turn  in time! I know having her in the position she's in is an added worry.

JJ: If you are not a big fan of blood draws, being pregnant sucks! They usually take 4 vials at your first visit (here at least) for things like blood typing, etc. For the glucose test, it is usually just a finger stick.  As far as birth plan goes, I really would wait until you see the doctor that will take over your care. I haven't discussed mine yet, because I wanted to make sure other things that might risk me out of a vaginal birth were fine, like placental position, etc. I will probably start discussing that at the next visit.

With moving to the other side of town, I was considering switching hospitals and providers, but evidently the hospital closest to my MIL has a VBAC ban, and the ones in the middle are not nearly as VBAC friendly as the one closest to me now. So I guess I will be dealing with the drive to this one, which is 30-45 minutes in decent traffic. oh well.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#281 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 08:28 AM

Annie, I don't get the dr's insistence on scheduling a c-section.  Can't you wait to go into labor, and then if she's flipped have a vaginal birth and if not, have a c-section?

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#282 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Yeah... I was lucky that my GP ordered the first set of blood draws, because the tech in her office is really good. She knows I'm terrified, so she has the whole thing done in superhuman time before I have a chance to start seeing stars. I am quite worried about the finger prick though, and I know that sounds so silly and irrational... but I can't help it. Last time I had a finger prick I was about 8, and it's scarred me for life. I tried to convince myself to let DH test it for me, and I just couldn't do it-- I ended up sick to my stomach, shaking, and feeling like I was going to throw up any minute. As weird as it sounds, I think I'd rather an actual blood draw than the finger prick. Like I said though, I know that's irrational... 

That sucks Annie. You're right though, maybe there is something that is keeping her that way for a good reason why she won't turn. At least if you have to schedule it, you can take the time to figure out the things that are important to you, and hopefully they'll be able to make the c-section as family centered as possible. It sounds like your doctors are on your side and will help you to get these things. A c-section is the last thing I want, but a scheduled one seems like it would be so much calmer and easier to attain your preferences. Peace to you mama... I know this isn't easy. 

I'm feeling tons of movement from the inside right now, but can't seem to get DH to feel it from the outside. He keeps claiming it's too early, so he's not really trying... even though I've heard tons of other people say that this far along or earlier, they could see and feel it from outside. 

Three weeks until we find out the gender (hopefully...) I am soooo anxious! I just feel like there's so much planning I want to do that can't be done until we find out. I have about 5 boxes of girls clothing birth to age 3 that I don't know yet if we're even going to use it, or if I need to be sending it downstairs to storage. And if it is a boy, then I want to go through our boy stuff again to determine whether we have enough. 

DH made a comment yesterday about starting to get the diapers washed up. It was so unbelievably cute, especially as I'm kind of assuming diaper washing will be my domain. 

Anyways, I'm seeing there's another response just posted, so off to read!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#283 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post

Annie, I don't get the dr's insistence on scheduling a c-section.  Can't you wait to go into labor, and then if she's flipped have a vaginal birth and if not, have a c-section?

My guess is the risk of her water breaking before contractions start... and then the chance that the feet could slip through. I was thinking the same thing, but that's my guess as to why they don't want her to go into labor. I suppose if you were close to the hospital it's a chance you could take, knowing that you'd have to head to the hospital as soon as your water broke- but it all depends how fast you can get to the hospital if you need to. 

#284 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View PostAs weird as it sounds, I think I'd rather an actual blood draw than the finger prick. Like I said though, I know that's irrational... 

I hate finger pricks, hon.  I'm the same way.  I'd so much rather have a draw.  greensad.gif

Annie - Oh hon.  I'm so sorry, I know this isn't what you pictured at all.  But Im big on things happening for a reason (you know that) and if baby is breech til the end, that's got to be for *some* reason, who knows why?  I wouldn't give up trying to flip her.  Have you tried that homeopathic remedy?  I forget the name.  Pustillia or something like that?

Isnt' the whole scheduling the c-section so that everything is prepped and ready?  An emergency c-section is much crazier than a planned one.  At least if it's scheduled and baby flips, no one is worse off, but if Annie goes into labor with a footling breech and no one in the hospital is prepared or the best people are busy, it could get very hectic and her wishes might not be honored.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#285 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 AM

When we first found out she was footling breech, I talked to my OB about the possibility of just waiting until I go in to labor before doing the c-section. His concern is that because she is a footling breech, there's a higher chance of a cord prolapse if I were dilated and my water broke which then turns the whole thing in to an emergency situation which could lead to a crash section, i.e. general anesthesia for me and a higher chance that my wishes for a more family centered c-section would get lost in the shuffle. If she were frank breech, I would be much more comfortable with just waiting until I go in to labor. Of course, there's always the possibility that I would go in to labor before the scheduled date at which point I would just have to head straight to the hospital. If I am at home and that happens, no big deal because we're 7 mins from the hospital. But if I am at work, I'm at least 25 mins from the hospital and possibly longer if traffic is bad. Next week I'm working from home though so that's good.

I hate blood draws too but through this pregnancy, I've gotten used to it because I had to get my thyroid levels checked every six weeks which means a blood draw. Still makes me woozy though. One of the reasons why I'm not looking forward to a c-section. I hate IVs and I'll have to get one as well as an epidural. Gah...and a catheter.

I looked in to Pulsatilla but my DH doesn't want me to take it until he has a chance to research it himself. I've read conflicting stuff too that it's contraindicated for pregnant women so that's a bit confusing. I'll do the ice packs by her head and warm rice sock by her feet this afternoon to encourage her to flip.

#286 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Annie ~ greensad.gif Is a version out of the equation now? She does still have time to flip. Instead of pre-scheduling a c-section, can you just plan with your OB that when you go into labor the plan will be a c-section if she hasn't flipped? That might give her more time.

JJ ~ I was going to say what Katrina did. My 2 hour GTT with my MW was just a finger prick. The one I did at 11w at the lab was a blood draw, though.

My sinuses are still pretty bad. I also still have facial/head tenderness. I don't think I mentioned this before but it hurts to brush my hair. That's a classic symptom for me of being sick. My scalp is very sensitive.

I'm 36w today so I get to stop taking the aspirin! joy.gif But I have to start taking garlic, echinacea, grapefruit seed extract and vitamin C in prep for my GBS test.

Carrie ~ I meant to tell you that I read that using an uncut garlic clove vaginally every night for 3 nights before the GBS test can help. I think I'm going to do that, too.

I'm exhausted from being at the beach all day. We were supposed to meet a group from the boys' TKD school but we left too late and there was no parking at the beach where they were. I took the boys to another beach and being at the beach was actually relaxing. Getting to and from the car with all our stuff was hard and now my feet feel like 2 hugs balloons. lol.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#287 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 05:39 PM

If you're feeling irritable too, then get yourself to a health food store and pick up homeopathic Hepar Sulph 30C. Bet you'll get sinus relief quickly! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

My sinuses are still pretty bad. I also still have facial/head tenderness. I don't think I mentioned this before but it hurts to brush my hair. That's a classic symptom for me of being sick. My scalp is very sensitive.

#288 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

I looked in to Pulsatilla but my DH doesn't want me to take it until he has a chance to research it himself. I've read conflicting stuff too that it's contraindicated for pregnant women so that's a bit confusing. I'll do the ice packs by her head and warm rice sock by her feet this afternoon to encourage her to flip.

It's ALL good! I'm a homeopath and homeopathy will not effect your baby at a 30C potency taken for a couple of days. Think of it this way...homeopathy is WAY safer than drugs used in c-sections that cross the placenta. I bet she'll turn before birth! I have a good feeling for you! 

#289 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 PM

Annie--I just found this on the July board

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1319907/one-more-dose-of-pulsatilla-2-days-ago-and-mw-confirmed-baby-is-now-oa

Pulsatilla

The windflower is one of the great homeopathic polychrests (drug of many uses). This herb has long been used to change unfavorable presentations prior to the onset of labor. The remedy is most effective when administered before the presenting put is deeply engaged in the pelvis and before the bag of waters ruptures.

How does it work? Pulsatilla is essentially soft and changeable. On the physical plane, the uterus grows asymmetrically, and the baby fits in there any way it can. Given in potency (a pharmaceutical process which progressively dilutes natural substances and then vigorously shakes them, thereby releasing dormant energy), pulsatilla stimulates the uterine muscle to grow more evenly. In. response to a change in shape, the baby willingly and naturally assumes the most advantageous position—a gentle intervention.

Pulsatilla is always worth a try. Since you are giving the woman a non-material (dynamic) dose, you can cause no harm. The worst that can happen is that she simply will not respond to, or resonate with, the remedy. If the baby needs to remain in his present position for mechanical reasons, such as the location of the placenta, or a tight cord wrap, the remedy will have no effect. The timing of the homeopathic intervention can coincide with other efforts you employ to turn babies. Usually you'll try this at or near 35 weeks, perhaps earlier if mom is small and the baby is persistent. Try one dose of the 200c potency. If there is no response in a few days, you can repeat it, or go to a 1M. If all you have on hand is 30c or lower, then try one or two doses a day for three days. There are no firm rules regarding dosage, but as a general guideline, do not repeat the high potencies (200c and above) more than twice, nor continue the lower potencies for more than two weeks. And stop all interventions once you have obtained results.

#290 of 299 Old 07-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Thanks Kindermama...I saw that thread and that's what started me looking in to it. On the wikipedia page for Pulsatilla it says not to take while pregnant? Are they meaning in larger doses?

MW, after discussing it with my DH, we decided against the version. I would not consent to a medical induction if they were able to get her to turn so we didn't feel like the potential stress and trauma to the baby was worth it since we wouldn't induce directly after.

She's been super active this evening. I did the ice up by her head and she didn't move then but about 20 minutes later, she went transverse. She stayed that way for about 15-20 mins so I'm hopeful that she still has room to move that much. Having her transverse at this point was wild. My belly totally changed shape and I had two hard round lumps on each side of my belly button. But she's gotten her head back up at the top again now. Makes me wonder if there really is a reason for her to be breech.

Oh and MW, I did a garlic clove inserted vaginally at night for probably 4 nights leading up to my GBS test and I tested negative. I was also taking a high dose of probiotics that week leading up to the test.

#291 of 299 Old 07-03-2011, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

I missed a bunch of posts in the time it took for me to make my last post.

I forgot about the probiotics. I get confused about those because I read conflicting info about whether or not they are really useful. If I remember correctly, I read that probiotics in pill form were useless but that's all I seem to be able to find. Then there are now all these new synthetic probiotics that make me nervous. I don't want to take it if it's not natural. Isn't that the point in probiotics?

I keep reading conflicting info on just about everything pg related. I read a while ago that it's actually unusual for the amniotic sac to break in early labor but then I read so much about that happening, or maybe it's just the fear of that happening. My water broke first thing when I was pg with ds1. That's how I knew it was time. I stood up and a huge gush of water came rushing out of me all over my mother's carpeted stairs. lol.gif I didn't have a planned c-section but it wasn't an emergency, either. We knew by the time I was heading to the hospital that I would be having one. Since it wasn't an emergency, mine kept getting pushed back for the emergency ones because the hospital only had one functional ER. I ended up laboring at the hospital for at least 8 hours before they finally got me in the ER for the surgery. My point in that is that you don't have to have a pre-scheduled section to not have an emergency. If your HCPs know the situation ahead of time, they should be prepared when you call them to tell them you are in labor and on the way to the hospital.

I don't know how prevalent cord prolapse is with a footling breech but I do know there are things you can do while en route to make it less dangerous if it does happen. Getting and staying on hands and knees is the big thing.

The other conflicting thing I read just yesterday and today was about lightening. My Babycenter newsletter said that lightening may start several weeks before labor for a first-time mom but most likely wouldn't happen until labor for a woman who's had a baby before. Then today as I was entering my weight gain into the tracker on FF, I saw that the info on there was the opposite. Huh? headscratch.gif I think the only thing we can know for sure is that no one really knows. lol.gif

My dh is such a dunce. When I was talking to him on the phone Friday he said something about me having only 3 weeks left. Um, no. I have at least 4. I asked him where he got 3 weeks from and he said I kept saying I was due the end of July. I guess to him that meant any time after the 2nd week of July? shrug.gif I'm like, "You don't even know my EDD?"! He's been through 2 previous pregnancies with me and he still doesn't know how all of this works? duh.gif I seriously hate how disengaged he is.

The other stupid thing he did was to order his own anniversary gift after I told him I would do it. WTH? Why send me links to things you want and tell me that, yes, you do want them sent to Afghanistan just to turn around and buy them for yourself? I told him on the phone I could order it, which I did 3 days ago. Then I get an email from his yesterday saying he ordered the same thing for himself. irked.gif I guess it's a good thing I'm returning the necklace he got me because we'll need the money now. eyesroll.gif

#292 of 299 Old 07-03-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
My dh is such a dunce. When I was talking to him on the phone Friday he said something about me having only 3 weeks left. Um, no. I have at least 4. I asked him where he got 3 weeks from and he said I kept saying I was due the end of July. I guess to him that meant any time after the 2nd week of July? shrug.gif I'm like, "You don't even know my EDD?"! He's been through 2 previous pregnancies with me and he still doesn't know how all of this works? duh.gif I seriously hate how disengaged he is.

I think it's just dads in general! My DH has been pretty engaged and knows my due date but we got in to an argument the other day because he was trying to say that I'm 8 months pregnant and I was like ummm "I'm in my 9th month so I'm 9 months pregnant" and he kept arguing with me about it! eyesroll.gif

#293 of 299 Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe, Annie. IDK, though. As much as I talk about pg and all it entails, you'd think he would have picked up something about it by now.

He also said to me that I must be getting excited about being so close. Nothing about him being excited. That doesn't really bother me so much since he's not here. I can understand why he'd be disengaged from that part of it. Anyway, I told him I wasn't really excited but I was getting a little anxious. I'm still worried a bit about the pain and nausea and how I will handle it. So, his comment was something like, "If it's so awful, why would you want to do it again?" Um, because it's the only way to have a baby? Or "And you want to do it all again." with a little chuckle. Something insensitive like that. What kind of stupid comment is that, especially now? Thanks for the support.

#294 of 299 Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 AM

Aw, MW, I've got no advice, but all I can say is, that's men!  Ugh!  Sucks to feel unsupported though, especially now.  He's not going to be there for the birth, right?

AFM - Baby's hiccups woke me up this morning!  I can't believe how strong his hiccups are.  He gets them all the time, it's crazy!  Nora was the same, IIRC.  I'm going to work up another belly map sometime today.  I'm so confused about what movements I'm feeling.  I worry his bony butt is his head.  It's really small and grab-able.  Are butts grab-able?  He's also right smack in the middle lately, which is so weird!  Nora was posterior, so this pg is just very different.  Having his back along the front and kicks/jabs poking inwards is so crazy!  I love it.  It's much more comfortable.  

#295 of 299 Old 07-03-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:

I didn't have a planned c-section but it wasn't an emergency, either. We knew by the time I was heading to the hospital that I would be having one. Since it wasn't an emergency, mine kept getting pushed back for the emergency ones because the hospital only had one functional ER. I ended up laboring at the hospital for at least 8 hours before they finally got me in the ER for the surgery. My point in that is that you don't have to have a pre-scheduled section to not have an emergency. If your HCPs know the situation ahead of time, they should be prepared when you call them to tell them you are in labor and on the way to the hospital.

I don't know how prevalent cord prolapse is with a footling breech but I do know there are things you can do while en route to make it less dangerous if it does happen. Getting and staying on hands and knees is the big thing.

That's the thing though, and why it's such a bigger decision whether to wait to go into labor or not... A c-section for a footling breech is very often an emergency one if the water has broken first, because of the risk of cord prolapse. 

Quote:
Among full-term, head down babies, cord prolapse is quite rare, occurring in 0.4 percent. Among frank breech babies the incidence is 0.5 percent, among complete breeches 4-6 percent, and among footling breeches 15-18 percent.

She could wait until she goes into labor to go to the hospital and have the c-section, however 18% can be a pretty high risk to take, you know? It's all about weighing the pros and cons, and when you're looking at cord prolapse, that's a hard decision to make. I used to be all gung-ho that my body, my way, and if I had a breech, I would have it at home, probably unassisted, rather than have to have a c-section in the hospital. But now after doing more research, there are definately breech cases in which I'm aware now that a c-section really is the best option. It's a hard choice to make, especially for us here at MDC who are so pro-natural birth. 

I guess the thing is that if Annie waits until she goes into labor, AND her water breaks first, then I would guess most doctors will automatically turn it into a crash section like she mentioned, to avoid the risk of the cord prolapsing, even if it hadn't yet. If she's lucky and contractions start first (which you're right, happens more often than the water breaking signalling a start), then she could very well just calmly go to the hospital, have an ultrasound to check position, and then decide natural or c-section from there... but it's hard to weigh the benefits and risks. 

Ugh, anyways, again Annie, *hugs* You've got some hard decisions to make mama, and I wish you the best. Keep trying the natural attempts, and if she turns, wonderful, but if not, maybe you're right and there's a good reason for her to be that way. 

As for the husband not getting it thing-- it's kind of funny, because we yell at people for putting sooooo much stock into a random EDD, but then when our husbands don't pay attention to it (or how far along it makes us...) they're bad people. lol. Even a few weeks ago, poor DH couldn't keep up, and at one point he thought I was two weeks behind where I actually was. But in reality, I think it's probably a good thing that they don't know exactly what day "the baby is coming" and put too much pressure on it. 

In other TMI news... we dtd last night, and holy crap I have never felt my uterus go that hard. It was such a weird feeling. 

#296 of 299 Old 07-03-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Ugh, anyways, again Annie, *hugs* You've got some hard decisions to make mama, and I wish you the best. Keep trying the natural attempts, and if she turns, wonderful, but if not, maybe you're right and there's a good reason for her to be that way. 

Thanks mama...it's definitely a game-changer for sure. Making these decisions for an actual live baby has turned out to be a lot different than making these decisions for a theoretical baby. I'm going to keep trying the ice when she has her active time in the evening and I have another chiro appt on Tuesday.

#297 of 299 Old 07-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Annie- Homeopathy is safe during pregnancy. You would have to take a ridiculous amount of any remedy in a high potency or the opposite...in a low potency.... for your body to go haywire. At this stage of your pregnancy, Pulsatilla is COMPLETELY safe in a 30C-200C potency taken for a few days. Pulsatilla is awesome right after birth when you'll be all weepy and emotional too! Keep it on hand! 

#298 of 299 Old 07-03-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think I'd do a homebirth if my baby were breech. I'm sure it would be a hard decision for me because I'd still want to try vaginal but it seems finding an experienced practitioner is very difficult. Unfortunately, I think that's a big part of the rush to c-section with any kind of breech. Doc's don't do vaginal breech births anymore because of liability so then it becomes a non-option.

JJ ~ I wouldn't be so upset with my dh if my EDD were arbitrary and/or if he was inexperienced. The thing is neither is true. My EDD is based on my O day, not my lmp, so it's not so arbitrary. Plus, he's had the experience of 2 pgs with me and knows that I have gone 1-2 days past my EDD with all 3 of my other children. Seems to me that given that he would have enough sense to expect baby close to, if not past, my EDD and not a week before. I think it's more likely that he's been talking to the other guys at work and gotten into the whole 38w is full-term so that's when most people expect to have babies. I hear that over and over. Everyone seems to be so surprised if anyone goes over 38w even though it should be common knowledge that many (most?) pg do.

On that note, FF says my baby is full term now. How can that be? I think the FF info is for the beginning of the following week. So, at 36w I'm reading what's normal or expected at 37w. Still, is 37w considered full term now?

I had a dream last night (or maybe it was today while I was napping) that my dh showed up unexpectedly. He was trying to surprise me with getting home for the birth. He came home as a surprise once before so it's not unheard of. The problem was he came too early and was scheduled to leave 3 days before my EDD. I was livid in my dream that he would screw things up like that. I know I probably sound like I don't give my dh much slack and I guess I don't. After 12 years of this sort of thing I'm out of patience and tired of giving him the benefit of the doubt just to get a bunch more of the same. All of that over a dream. lol.gif I also read yesterday that 70% of women do not know that their husbands are having affairs. jaw2.gif Maybe that has made me feel not so great about marriage and men in general atm.

#299 of 299 Old 07-03-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

New thread for the new month. A few days late. Sorry.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1320215/july-2011-whatever-ladies-graduates#post_16536127

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page