June 2011 Whatever Ladies Graduates - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 299 Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oooh thinking of you Annie. Try to stay relaxed and let your body do its thing. I've also heard swimming can be good for the breech... but that's probably moreso after the chiro gets your hips/pelvis back into place. 

I'm just trucking along. Been feeling a lot better, so trying to put the house back together. 

Found out that my MIL is "very angry" that we ended up going to a different OB than the one we had her call and pull some strings to get us in with. Ugh. I refuse to feel guilty about my birth choices. Besides... my Dr put through the referral, and technically I was turned down. Even thoughwe had been told yes, just send the referreral through and they would take me. such a mess. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#122 of 299 Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 AM

JJ - MIL's! they mean well (most of the time) I would tell her that you appreciate her help, but you weren't able to actually get in there, but thankfully you found another OB.

Carrie: I think you may have to continue to do for Nora with the car, and let your DH manage little Dax. (Likely the baby won't be particular). I found with a lot of my friends that once #2 arrived, one parent kind of gravitated towards each kid, and often this seems based on gender. Nora and you will still be besties, and I will bet that she will adore helping out with her little brother. You will find time for just the two of you (while DS naps, or perhaps DH does bath time with the little man). Sure your relationship will change, but I think it is a good thing.

MW: maybe it is a seasonal thing - the boys rowdiness? Summer usually makes boys alot more . . . unsettled. I know they are home/unschooled but even then there is still a freedom in the air during summertime. Hope they will settle down for you once your newest boy arrives.

A friend IRL is being induced today. It is her 3rd baby. She had pre-e with her first two, and had to be on Mag Sulfate (which made her feel horrible) with those labors. She hasn't yet shown signs of pre-e with this baby, and it is her hope that by inducing before she gets to that point she can avoid the Mag Sulfate altogether. She is 39 + 1 now I think and had her first two babies slightly earlier than this one I think. and both successful vaginal births. In her case, I can totally see the reasoning behind induction and wish her a fast and easy labor.

Also have my appt this morning, gotta go get ready!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#123 of 299 Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 AM

akind-- that's nice and late for a scheduled pre-e induction!  I'll think of her today. I was present at one that went at 37 weeks, and it was roller coaster crazy. But as you said, baby was terribly cute, and perfectly healthy, and it's amazing seeing how much of a difference it makes in mom once baby is out!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#124 of 299 Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Annie ~ Tell that baby to flip! Stinker! winky.gif What do you think is making your hip inflamed? Just every day stuff or are you really pushing yourself to do something? I worry some because I tend to sit in a reclined position whenever I am seated. I'm so short that I have to put my feet on a stool or the recliner with foot rest in the couch or my lower back hurts. Then, of course, I'm in what I've read is a bad position for getting baby in proper position for birth.

JJ ~ Interesting that your MIL is so angry. I always find it curious when someone offers to do something for someone else and then gets angry that it isn't received exactly the way they wanted. Then it's not really a gift, is it, if there are expectations and conditions put on it? I agree that maybe if you explain to her again that you really appreciate the effort she made, the fact is that your referral was denied and there was nothing you could do about that. If she wants to be mad, be mad at whomever told her you were definitely in there.

Katrina ~ Maybe it is a summer thing with the boys. I was trying to figure out what it could be. The last two nights have been much better but I can't think of anything that has changed. Last night, ds3 fell asleep early on the couch. That made things a lot more peaceful. I don't want to pin everything on him but, seriously, it's totally different when he's already asleep. DS2 decided to clean the downstairs bathroom at around 9:30 pm and then proceeded to wash some windows. I have no idea where that came from but I'll take it. Going to bed was so pleasant.

I'm finally not coughing up a lung several times a day. My head still feels stuffed and achy but at least I know I'm on the mend now. I keep forgetting to mention something I think is funny. I now have at least one stain on every single one of my shirts right in the front middle. Why do you suppose that is? Anyone else have this problem?

Oh, and now dh and are tossing around the name Dylan. Right now, as far as I can tell, we have the same problem as with Aston. He likes Dillon and I like Dylan. I'm not completely sold on the name at all, though. It's ok but it doesn't jump out at me and it's a very popular name. We discussed names again yesterday and still didn't agree on anything. DH said he'd go back and look some more. I told him no more looking. We need to make a short list and then choose. I don't think we'll find anything new that we suddenly like. We have both looked and looked. The problem is that we don't have any of the same names on our respective short lists. Ugh!

My short list when we got off the phone was:

Brenden
Aiden
Aston

His short list was:

Gavin
Nolen
Logan
(in that order)

I do like Dylan better than any on his short list. I don't want to feel like I've settled on a name, though. KWIM?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#125 of 299 Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 AM

JJ: I'm so glad my MIL is a pretty gentle soul. I don't think I could handle another "well-meaning" female in my life! My own mother does enough of that on her own! I think akind1 has good advice. If they turned down the referral, there's not much you can do, right?

MW: Honestly I think it was my day trip up to Maryland on Sunday that did it although I don't know for sure when she flipped. I thought she was vertex last Friday at my last OB appt based on where they were finding her heartbeat but then yesterday, the ultrasound wand was picking up her heartbeat in the same place. shrug.gif I'm interested to see where they find her heartbeat tomorrow. But yeah, I think the three hours each way in the car on Sunday did it. I had a ton of contractions all day and then real contractions on Monday and my hips were very sore after that trip. Also, I've been doing way too much lifting, twisting and bending over trying to get stuff done at my house.

Went back to the chiro this morning and he still wasn't able to get my hip popped back in to place. So he said I need to do ice and rest this weekend and we'll try again on Monday. I told him about the breech inversion position and he said I shouldn't try to do anything on my own to get her to move until he can get my hip back in to place because otherwise, if she does flip vertex, she'll just flip breech again because of the condition of my pelvis. Resting this weekend is going to drive me crazy because I was planning to do a last ditch super busy clean-up to get my house finished before the baby. Now I'm going to have to get DH to do that stuff and that's not going to be fun. But since I have "doctor's orders" he'll probably be more willing to step up and do this stuff for me. Here's hoping.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#126 of 299 Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Except for this last week sick, I've actually been able to do more lately than a few weeks or months ago. Now that the sciatic pain is gone I can move a lot better. It's such a relief. I never realize how much something like that is affecting me until after it's gone. Instead, I feel guilty for not being able to do everything that needs to be done. I'm sure I'll feel the same way after I'm completely over this cold. Right now all I can do is look at my house and cry at the state it's in. At least Ryan cleaned up the trash he dumped in the front yard the last time he washed his car. I swear, the front of my house looked like a trash dump. So embarrassing. (Well, not really that bad. There were only a few pieces of paper in the yard but still...ykwim.)

I don't think I can offer any practical advice on how to handle things with more than one child. I have a hard time balancing the needs of both of my LOs. When ds3 was first born I did ask ds2 if he wanted me to take care of him or the baby first, like when ds3 was hungry and needed to nurse. DS2 always told me to feed the baby first. He could wait. Now, that doesn't work so well. He only liked his little brother until he could move and started getting into big bro's things.

I think getting Dad more involved with both kids is the best thing, if you can do it. Having Dad do as much as possible with the baby from the beginning will help foster that relationship. In he meantime, you can slowly encourage DD to go to Dad for as much as she feels comfortable. Maybe your dh (or you if he won't or your DD won't accept it) could ask your DD what Daddy could do for her. The more initiative he takes in asking what he can do for her (rather than just doing something without checking with her first), the more she'll probably start to welcome his attention. I hope that makes sense.

We have that same problem here. Sometimes one or other of the boys will have a complete meltdown if anyone other than me gets them something. The worst was when we were trying to get them to sleep in their room. DS2 would wake up and come climb in bed with us. DS3 would wake up but was too young to navigate his way to our room in the dark. DH got up a few times to get him, I thought. Instead, he tried laying down with ds3 in his bed but ds3 just cried for me. I finally had to get up and get ds3, which would make dh mad. It didn't seem fair to me, though, to keep ds3 away from me if I was who he really wanted, especially when ds2 could come to me whenever he wanted.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#127 of 299 Old 06-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
 I keep forgetting to mention something I think is funny. I now have at least one stain on every single one of my shirts right in the front middle. Why do you suppose that is? Anyone else have this problem?

He likes Dillon and I like Dylan. 

My short list when we got off the phone was:

Brenden
Aiden
Aston

His short list was:

Gavin
Nolen
Logan
(in that order)

I do like Dylan better than any on his short list. I don't want to feel like I've settled on a name, though. KWIM?

I do!  I keep catching food on my belly, apparently.  I have stains on quite a few of my shirts right smack where food/drink drips.  It's frustrating!  Luckily most of my tops are prints or stripes!  Haha!!

Hmm, I like Dylan better than Dillon, but it's the same name really.  I like the look of the first spelling better.  I love that name.  It was on our list for a bit too.

My faves from both your lists combined are Aston, Logan, and Dylan, in that order.  I don't envy you this decision, mw.  It's a toughie -- you are up against quite the opponent!!  

I put Eli back on the table.  I doubt we'll go with it.  I really want Finnley, but if he comes out looking more Eli, then who am I to rob him of a proper name.

Thanks too everyone for all the advice regarding DD.  I'm taking it all in, b/c I'm a bit of a wreck trying to picture how things are going to go!!

Thinking of you, Annie, and crossing all my crossables you can get her to stay head down!!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#128 of 299 Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

It seems so silly to get hung up on spelling but that's part of the appeal of certain names to me. I think my dh gets hung up on a particular meaning being associated with only one spelling and thinks we'd lose the meaning if we use a different spelling. For example, the link he sent me for Dillon had some warrior or hero or god meaning whereas the original meaning of Dylan that I sent him was sea. So, I found on the website he was using that Dylan is just an alternate spelling for Dillon and they both had the same meanings. Anyway...

Maybe I should get us down to a short list of 2-3 names and wait until I see this baby to make the final decision. If I can get dh to agree to any one of the names on the list, that might work. Hmmm....

#129 of 299 Old 06-16-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

For fun, here are pics of me at 33w now and when I was pg with ds3.

33w with ds3

33wBelly004.jpg

33w now

A pic with my face so you guys don't think I'm hiding.
\

#130 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 AM

Good pics! I don't know if it is the distance, but think you actually look smaller with this one.

Names . . . I like Dillon. not as fond of Logan. and I like Aston (maybe it is just the -on endings I am keen on?)

Finnly Dax, Eli Dax . . .I think anything with Dax will sound cool, no matter how otherwise conventional it is. Even Edward Dax sounds kind of nifty, and Edward is one of my ick names.

My friend's induction must've gone very well, I think they tend to start inductions early in the morning, like between 5 and 6, and baby was out at 11 something. Not bad! she must've been very otherwise ready to go.

Tell me what you guys think here: my ultrasound yesterday, the point of which was to try to visual brain structures and the heart parts, didn't go well in that baby was not in a good position (plus I really think they just don't have the best equipment/sonographer either) for the ultrasound, so they want to refer me out for another ultrasound, to make sure everything is ok (because if anything is wrong I need to deliver at a different hospital). I know DH doesn't see the real need for any more scans, and while I think really, that everything is fine, I don't want any hang ups in the office being supportive of my VBAC. I know they can't force me to c-section and even if it is scheduled I needn't show up, but I really don't want to have to fight them for it, if that makes sense. So I think I should go to the referral (plus, and this is the silly side of me, we haven't really gotten any good pics of the LO yet, because the same sonographer says she wasn't in a great position last time)

FWIW - the first time, baby was breech, and face up. yesterday she was transverse, head to the left, and face down. I mean, if neither of those positions works for you, I really don't know what will. And the sonographer said, well, I should have eaten first (I did have coffee) and baby might have moved more. I really think, just eating wouldn't necessarily make baby more cooperative.

so I guess, the question is, while it seems largely unnecessary, would you still go for the next u/s?

The doc I saw was fine, I still haven't gained any weight and blood pressure is good. She said baby is measuring a little small (20%) but I told her that DS was small too, so perhaps I just grow small babies. Anyway that was my drama for the day.

MW: DH does the same thing if he wakes up with DS: he will try to calm him down, etc and I usually have to go get him. He would calm down if you just laid him in bed with us. Why do you fight it? I can't go back to sleep until he's calm anyway.

now, when DS was still nursing through the night, that wasn't an issue, as clearly all he wanted and needed was mama milk.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#131 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 07:31 AM

I think it's all a comfort thing. I'm trying to limit my ultrasound exposure, so I'm having the 21 week anatomy (and placental position) scan, and then a second one at a 'fun' place (with a former midwife) to confirm the gender, since DH is worried they will mess it up, and I think the confirmation that two different scans have given us the same gender will feel more secure. Other than that, I really want to try to limit any of them. But I would say that if there's any worry in you right now about the structures they didn't get to see, then to go back in, and request a quick one. They shouldn't need it to be as long, since they've already seen almost everything, but it will give you peace of mind, and hopefully a chance to print one or two photos as well. And no, reassuring your dr so they will be more supportive of your vbac is not something to shrug off! If a few minutes of ultrasound upps the chances of you delivering vaginally, then I'd take it. 

We get to go see my nephew today for the first time. I feel horrible it's taken this long... he's almost 4 weeks old. *sad face*. We also get to collect all the girly infant clothing from my SIL (apparently she has "boxes and boxes"), so that should be interesting... 

#132 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Katrina ~ I think it depends on how hung up your HCP will get if s/he doesn't have that u/s that shows that everything is good. Did you ask your hcp about that? If that's a big issue and could cause trouble for you doing a VBAC, I'd get the other u/s. What exactly do they need to check? Everything or just a few things they couldn't see? I don't know why that matters. I'm just curious. smile.gif

I don't know about eating but I've heard lots of women say they drink a glass of OJ or a soda or something sugary right before a scan in hopes of getting baby moving. I don't know if it works. If baby moves too much, that can cause problems with the scan as well. My little guy was moving around a lot and the tech, who is very experienced, was having a hard time getting good measurements.

JJ ~ Have fun seeing the new baby and getting your stuff.

I think I look smaller now than with ds3, too. It could just be the angle or distance or size of the pic. It's so hard to get one that's exactly the same. I took a few more today of just my bare belly to see if it looks any different. It would be interesting if I am really smaller since my MW said she thought this baby would be in between the size of ds2 and ds3 when I mentioned that I was expecting this baby to be 10+ lbs. based on the weights and increases of my others. Whew, that's a major run-on sentence.

I don't know how to resize the pics I upload straight from my computer.

With DS3

33wBelly004.jpg

Today

And for more fun, me at 32w with ds2

BG

#133 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 AM

they really only need/want to see all the brain structures and the different bits of the heart. So it really shouldn't be a long scan. For me, I really don't have much issue going, because I can't think of a good enough reason to refuse to. I do think it would be a hang up for the HCP honestly. they do seem pro VBAC otherwise, but generally that is in the event they know both mama and baby are healthy (or as healthy as they can determine pre-birth). It is the same way for me, with the glucose test. While I think it is silly and pretty pointless - for me in particular - I will do it because I don't see any harm in it. I want to save my fighting words, so to speak, for the things that matter, like as few interventions as possible during the birth, and the VBAC in general. They called with the appointment date, and that is about 2 weeks away.

I still think you look either close to the same or smaller. but you may look much bigger than you did in a week or two; so much depends on how baby is positioned. My belly is sticking out alot more this week because the litle girl has decided to go transverse  with her bottom sticking out. I also am carrying her a lot lower than I did with DS. here are my comparison pics:

orange tank top is DS, black is DD

23 week comparison

#134 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

I can see how you are carrying lower. It's fun to compare. I wish I had pics of when I was pg with ds1. I didn't have any taken, though. greensad.gif

I've got a totally OT question. Do you know what Low Country means and/or where it is? I have always wondered about that when I see Low Country cooking.

Have you all voted in the MDC moderation poll? I didn't realize they had gone to pretty much no moderation. I stopped going to other boards for the most part because the responses seemed to be getting further and further away from AP. I also got frustrated with the heavy moderation they were doing for a while and was afraid to post for fear of being banned.

#135 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Low country is the region around Charleston, S.C. It typically refers to food or a particular accent.

MW, you do seem smaller this time but it could be the size of the pics. Oh and akind1, that little girl is definitely lower than DS was!

AFM: Had my weekly OB appt this afternoon. They did the GBS swab so I'll find out next week how that went. We also talked a lot about DD's breech position and potential paths we will take depending on what she does. I told him that my chiro is trying to get her to turn and he said that was great. I asked him about doing the ECV and he said if she looks ok at the ultrasound in two weeks, then it will be totally up to me if I want to do it. I also asked him what his protocol is regarding induction if the ECV is successful. He said that if it was successful and my cervix looked favorable, he typically does a Cytotec induction. I'm not comfortable with that. There are too many risks in my opinion surrounding the use of Cytotec. We also discussed that if she won't turn, can I just wait and go in to labor before we do the c-section. He said it would depend on what her position ended up being. As a footling breech right now, she has a higher chance of a cord prolapse if I was dilated and my water broke. So we'll just have to play it by ear basically week by week to see where we are. I'm going to take it easy this weekend and hope that my chiro can get my hip readjusted on Monday. If he can, then I will do the breech inversions and probably go to the pool and do some handstands in the water to encourage her to flip.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#136 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 02:17 PM

yeah, low country is coastal - not limited to SC though, it often includes the Savannah area. Good food!

Annie, fx she gets into a more favorable position. do what you can. Mom told me yesterday that 3/4 of her babes were breech - I was the only exception, and I was her first. hopefully this baby will make up her mind to turn also, sooner than later.

#137 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Finnley Dax, Eli Dax . . .I think anything with Dax will sound cool, no matter how otherwise conventional it is. Even Edward Dax sounds kind of nifty, and Edward is one of my ick names.

Tell me what you guys think here: my ultrasound yesterday, the point of which was to try to visual brain structures and the heart parts, didn't go well in that baby was not in a good position (plus I really think they just don't have the best equipment/sonographer either) for the ultrasound, so they want to refer me out for another ultrasound, to make sure everything is ok (because if anything is wrong I need to deliver at a different hospital). I know DH doesn't see the real need for any more scans, and while I think really, that everything is fine, I don't want any hang ups in the office being supportive of my VBAC. I know they can't force me to c-section and even if it is scheduled I needn't show up, but I really don't want to have to fight them for it, if that makes sense. So I think I should go to the referral (plus, and this is the silly side of me, we haven't really gotten any good pics of the LO yet, because the same sonographer says she wasn't in a great position last time)

Aww, thanks for the name love!! I'm laughing b/c Edward is an ick name for me too, lol!!  I love the name Dax.  I figure, if Finnley doesn't care for his name, he can just go by Dax and that'll be fine with me!!  LOL!

I would do the u/s.  Anything that helps you to your goal of vbac, mama.  Plus, like others have said, it should be quick.

Drinking OJ before my appt made baby move around a lot and gave him hiccups!!  FWIW, I didn't drink OJ before Nora's 20 week scan, and she was in a funny position, we couldn't see the gender.  They did the anatomy/structures but couldn't get her to uncross her legs and the cord was between them so we chose to do an "entertainment" u/s at 25 weeks to determine gender.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Have you all voted in the MDC moderation poll? I didn't realize they had gone to pretty much no moderation. I stopped going to other boards for the most part because the responses seemed to be getting further and further away from AP. I also got frustrated with the heavy moderation they were doing for a while and was afraid to post for fear of being banned.

I voted.  I don't peruse the boards at all now b/c the replies are so non-AP.  I especially can't stand the Toddler forum.  Too many people defending mainstream choices, and discussions that wouldn't have been allowed to continue a few years ago.  

Not only that but I'm trying really hard to keep my "bubble of peace"  surrounding this birth, and reading about stillbirths and miscarriages is very triggering for me.  I stick 

Last night I had a nightmare that I had my baby early, like 34 weeks.  I remember in the dream my mw was en route, but he was just coming, so I pushed him out in one big push, and was so tired i fell asleep.  When I woke up (still in the dream) he was no where to be found, and I had my pre-pregnancy body and shape, and no milk or anything, and I kept asking everyone where the baby was.  Everyone kept telling me "they" took him to the hospital.  I couldn't get any answers and I was incredibly distraught.  I was so mad that I let myself fall asleep and didn't watch over the baby!!!  Ugh.  Nightmares suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

AFM: Had my weekly OB appt this afternoon. They did the GBS swab so I'll find out next week how that went. We also talked a lot about DD's breech position and potential paths we will take depending on what she does. I told him that my chiro is trying to get her to turn and he said that was great. I asked him about doing the ECV and he said if she looks ok at the ultrasound in two weeks, then it will be totally up to me if I want to do it. I also asked him what his protocol is regarding induction if the ECV is successful. He said that if it was successful and my cervix looked favorable, he typically does a Cytotec induction. I'm not comfortable with that. There are too many risks in my opinion surrounding the use of Cytotec. We also discussed that if she won't turn, can I just wait and go in to labor before we do the c-section. He said it would depend on what her position ended up being. As a footling breech right now, she has a higher chance of a cord prolapse if I was dilated and my water broke. So we'll just have to play it by ear basically week by week to see where we are. I'm going to take it easy this weekend and hope that my chiro can get my hip readjusted on Monday. If he can, then I will do the breech inversions and probably go to the pool and do some handstands in the water to encourage her to flip.

Oh man.  It's good to have a plan, though.  I really, really hope she flips for you, but just in case, having a plan will at least help you get thru this!!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#138 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Annie ~ What would be the reason for an induction, especially if the ECV works? Were you planning on scheduling one anyway? I hope she flips. I've read a lot recently about babies flipping even just before labor. I don't really know how likely that is or how dangerous it is to wait for that and have it not happen. Did your doc say anything about that?

I finally looked up Lowcountry. According to Wikepedia, it doesn't necessarily cover Charleston. Strictly, it covers 4 counties on the coast of SC just south of Charleston. Many people do include Charleston county in it but not everyone. Some also extend it further to cover all of the SC coast but it seems not very popular to consider Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach, The Grand Strand, as part of it. Very confusing. I think it means to cover that area of SC that is below ocean level? shrug.gif

That nightmare sounds awful, Carrie. I hate dreams like that.

#139 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM

I honestly didn't even look at the poll, but that makes a lot of sense. I had noticed too how we were getting a lot more mainstream replies allowed when they normally would have shut it down. Kind of sad that we have to be more "pc". 

I think the reason for an induction after turning a breech is usually to deliver before they move back into a breech position. I don't know what the statistics are, but quite a few turn back, even after they've been moved head down. It's a matter of weighing the benefits and risks of induction, over having the baby turn again and then possibly have to do  a c-section. 

Babycakes: I had a nightmare almost identical to that before I was even pregnant, except that they kept saying my mom had taken her (to the hospital) and I woke up so distressed and so angry. In the dream it took weeks before I got anyone to allow me to see my baby. 

I meant to comment before, that I agree that anything will sound good with Dax. But as you know, I am partial to Eli! lol

Seeing the nephew was good. I was worried we'd miss his "newborn" stage, but he's still looking very very tiny, but then again, he was a 36w4day baby too... so he's not even technically full term (as in 40 weeks, not 37) yet I don't think. And we ended up getting 5 huge boxes of stuff, so I'm sitting down to go through it tonight and decide what we want to keep. Even if it is a girl, I know there's tons in those bozes we still won't need. 

My carseat is on sale at one place right now for $144, it's usually $198 pretty much everywhere in the city. There's only two other places that carry it-- I went to one of the others today, and they didn't have any, so I'll have to call the third place tomorrow and see if they're putting it on sale again... I'm worried they're all going to discontinue it. Anyways... there's a good chance we'll go back and buy the seat by the end of the weekend, because I'm pretty set on it, and that's a really good sale!

#140 of 299 Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

I missed a lot of the stink that was going on here since I had stopped posting just about anywhere except in our groups. I didn't like the other posts that seemed to be contrary to AP and GD and what not and I was also afraid of getting censored and banned for speaking my mind ever since that one warning I got with demerit points or whatever it was. I hope we can go back to the type of moderation that helps keep posts within the supportive confines of AP and such without becoming over policed again.

I didn't know that about breech babies being turned and then flipping back again. That's rather interesting considering I have read and heard that it's supposed to be difficult for babies to flip around like that so late in pg. If it's so easy for them to flip back to breech, why is it so difficult for them to flip to head-down? I've never had to face that so I don't know much about it.

I meant to ask you guys again about returning most of the baby clothes that acquaintance gave me. I have sent an email to Sean asking him what he thinks I should do since he's knows her better. Anyway, I think there are 3 or 4 onesies that I know I won't use. There is a top and pants outfit and some bibs and wash cloths I know I can use and a romper that I decided to keep because I may be able to use it. She bought a lot of stuff and it's all organic so I'm assuming it was relatively expensive. I don't want to waste her money by keeping things I know I won't use. So, I would keep about half and return about half of what she bought. Do you all think that would be ok or would it be offensive? Did I mention that she told me to let her know if there was anything I couldn't use so she could return it?

#141 of 299 Old 06-18-2011, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

So, I figured out today that I have been working on maybe 3-4 hours of total sleep almost every night. That's not even 3-4 consecutive hours since I get up every 1-2 hours to pee. Like last night and this morning, I was still awake when I had to get up at 12:30 to go to the bathroom. I think I fell asleep soon after that but one of the kittens woke me at about 3:30. I tried to go back to sleep but gave up at 4:30. I got up and wrote in my journal for about 45 minutes and climbed back in bed hoping I'd be able to sleep. I gave up again about 30-45 minutes later and just got up for good. No wonder I'm so exhausted and irritable. I am seriously sleep-deprived with no way in sight to get more sleep. There's always something that wakes me up. I feel so bad for my kids because I don't have the energy to do anything with them and they are feeling that. I don't know what to do. There's no way to fix this, except maybe sleeping pills but I don't feel comfortable taking any drugs while I'm pg.

#142 of 299 Old 06-18-2011, 05:58 AM

Did you see the recent bit in the news about a study using cooling caps to help people sleep?  We used to do that w/DD1 with flaxseed bags from the freezer & it worked.  Worth a try!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#143 of 299 Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

I've never heard of a cooling cap. What is it?

#144 of 299 Old 06-18-2011, 07:48 AM

I've never heard of them either, but I'm assuming the point is to cool down your head so yuo sleep better. I can totally see that working. That's usually why I wake up. 

#145 of 299 Old 06-18-2011, 08:54 AM

I'm having trouble sleeping all night too. I've been waking up at 2:30 am for the past couple of nights. Last night I broke down and turned on the white noise sleep sheep that someone gave me for the baby and the next thing I knew it was 7:30. No clue if it was really the rain noise helping me sleep or not but I'll take it!

Back to the question about inducing after a version. Yes the idea is that if you can get baby vertex and the cervix is favorable then inducing right away will hopefully let you have a vaginal birth. I did some more research last night and I'm just not comfortable with the increased risk of an amniotic fluid embolism and potential death so I don't think I would agree to an induction. So then the question is should we even attempt a version? Still hoping my chiro can get my hip/pelvis back in to shape and I can get her to flip naturally.

#146 of 299 Old 06-18-2011, 08:56 AM

Ladies - I wanted to stop by and visit. I miss you all and think of you often! I just don't have time to stop by anymore, the second child really has rid me of my free time! If anyone wants to keep in contact - email or facebook? my email is my username at hotmail.com

<3

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#147 of 299 Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm having trouble sleeping all night too. I've been waking up at 2:30 am for the past couple of nights. Last night I broke down and turned on the white noise sleep sheep that someone gave me for the baby and the next thing I knew it was 7:30. No clue if it was really the rain noise helping me sleep or not but I'll take it!

Back to the question about inducing after a version. Yes the idea is that if you can get baby vertex and the cervix is favorable then inducing right away will hopefully let you have a vaginal birth. I did some more research last night and I'm just not comfortable with the increased risk of an amniotic fluid embolism and potential death so I don't think I would agree to an induction. So then the question is should we even attempt a version? Still hoping my chiro can get my hip/pelvis back in to shape and I can get her to flip naturally.

I tried using my Hypnobirthing CD but the CD player in my bedroom doesn't work anymore. I don't think I've ever used it. It's part of dh's alarm clock on his side of the bed. So, I don't know if it ever did work but I thought I remembered him saying he listened to something on it.

Yeah, inductions can be a lot more dangerous than most docs let on. So much for informed consent. eyesroll.gif I had no idea what I was risking when I agreed to an induction with ds2. Looking back, I consider myself very lucky that I didn't lose my uterus and ability to have more children. They were getting ready to wheel me into surgery when a doc they called up from the ER finally got my bleeding stopped. I didn't even know they were thinking about taking me into the surgery at the time. DH told me that part later. No one told me about the increased risk of hemorrhage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyterae View Post

Ladies - I wanted to stop by and visit. I miss you all and think of you often! I just don't have time to stop by anymore, the second child really has rid me of my free time! If anyone wants to keep in contact - email or facebook? my email is my username at hotmail.com

<3

I'm on FB. I'll PM you.

#148 of 299 Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 AM

Lyterae, I think I sent you (if it isn't you ignore it!) a friend request

With my sister they induced after the second version, because she had flipped back around after the first one. It was a very long labor, but a vaginal birth.  I think alot depends on HOW they'd induce. can they do a catheter one, or try simply stripping the membranes, as opposed to a chemical induction? Really hoping she turns on her own

This little one hasn't settled on a position yet. She is big enough now I can figure out generally how she is laying; she was still transverse last night, but after a bit, she went head down, I could feel what must be her bottom up by my belly button, and she gave some very vigorous kicks (which is why I figue I had her bottom) . . . of course she floated back to transverse by this morning. If I could just get her stay vertex, that would be great! but she has time.

Talked with DH about the referral scan and we have decided to move forward with it, not least of which is because we really didn't like the sonographer that we keep seeing at the OB and think getting a second opinion is maybe not a bad thing. I also think she has a tendency to undermeasure, she has measured this baby smaller than I really think she is from the very beginning. I appreciate error on the side of caution, but I think she takes it too far.

MW: try the cooling hat. We sometimes diffuse some calming essential oils too.

#149 of 299 Old 06-18-2011, 01:43 PM

I don't know what a cooling cap is, either!  But here's a link to an article: http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/17/tip-for-insomniacs-cool-your-head-to-fall-asleep/

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#150 of 299 Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:

I'm not an expert on this.  My babies were all head down, but it seems to be a bit preemptive to me.  You still have weeks before you are due.  I have had at least three friends whose baby flipped within days of their due date.  But, almost all my friends had midwives who were really rooting for them- patience, extra natural measures like lying upside down, exercises, acupuncture, chiropractor, etc.  One friend actually was on her way to have her baby crossing on the ferry and the baby flipped on the bumpy boat ride.  Personally, I would not do an induction considering it may lead to more interventions that are worse. 

Another thought is, if your baby is stubbornly breach, it may be that way for a good reason that you don't know.  It may be best to leave him/her that way, keep trying gently, and just wait.  That's what I would do.  But, again, use your instincts and do what you think is best.

Mother to Obadiah, Ira, fencing.gifEva, dust.gifand Ailsa babyf.gif, wife of wonderful state trooper in Alaskacold.gifhomeschool.gifwinner.jpgteapot2.GIFdog2.gifdog2.gifcat.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgpraying.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page