June 2011 Whatever Ladies Graduates - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 299 Old 06-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Katrina-- Oh don't worry! Us too!! We went grocery shopping on Friday and spent $175 to get the "freebie of the week" which is a $20 camping chair (the freaking thing has a cooler built into it, seriously!), and then when he bought the seat yesterday, DH stocked up on more fruit etc, so we got a second matching chair. We don't have a patio set yet, and we do camp, so they should be nice. Otherwise, I can probably sell them both for $20 and get some money back. lol. 

I -could- have outdated info, it's not something I've looked up recently, but last I checked they don't normally do the versions with vbac's, just because you have that increased risk of rupture, same as how inductions are more risky (though that doesn't stop them... lol). 

We're taking the seat out tonight to play around with it, so DH can hopefully feel more comfortable. ITA about the bucket seats btw, they are so awkward to carry, and even when I'm at my heavier weights, my hips are wide, and stick out, so I'm constantly bumping the carrier against a hip. We were offered up an expensive peg perego bucket for the first couple months to borrow if we want though, and I might go with it, just because it's December, and not uncommon for it to hit -50C here during that time... so bundling inside and then moving outside sounds good... We'll see though. 

Speaking of goodies-- Recommendations for nice organic/natural baby 'stuff'? We're looking for a set of lotion, wash, etc. Something that hopefully isn't too hard to come by. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#182 of 299 Old 06-21-2011, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't looked into it in 8 years but from what I read back in 2003, induction is only more dangerous with VBACs if cervical softeners are used. I can't remember now if it was a specific one or not. There is a lot of misinformation out there about the dangers of VBAC, or maybe it's non-information and assumption. A lot of the dangers that docs throw around about VBACs are not evidence based or are based on risks associated with horizontal incisions rather than the vertical, low pelvic incisions. I'm having major pg brain and can't remember technical names and terms for things. So maybe the supposed risks of versions after a c-section aren't all that bad. IDK

I never used any soap or lotion or anything on my last 2 babies. It's completely unnecessary, imo. Even now my kids rarely use soap or shampoo in the bath or shower. I do have some California Baby shampoo and body wash for them but it doesn't get used much at all. Oh, we use California Baby bubble bath, too, but again not always. That's more for the fun of bubbles or the aromatherapy like the cold and flu formula rather than to get clean.

I definitely have either a sinus or ear infection. I am so upset. I'm so tired of being sick all the time. I was looking up how to treat a sinus infection naturally and read that nettles and herbal tea are good so I thought I'd make some nettle tea. Pulled out that loose tea someone bought me and it's not labeled. I don't know what's what and I'm supposed to stay away from the RLL. I'm going to go to a doctor tomorrow.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#183 of 299 Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Ugh, Carrie. I hope you can get all of that figured out.

Annie ~ Something just occurred to me. I don't get how you are 36w already. If your EDD is 7/21, you are due exactly one week before me, right? I'm 34w3d. Wouldn't that make you only 35w4d? I may be missing something since I've already demonstrated that I can't do simple math anymore thinking that you were 37w after saying I thought you were a week ahead of me.

The 7/21 EDD is the one that my OB's office is using so that's my "official" due date. But I ovulated a bit early so by my calculations, my EDD is 7/18 so my weeks change on Mondays. I didn't bother to "argue" with him though because hey, it buys me a few extra days, you know?

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#184 of 299 Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 PM

MW, have you ever tried a neti pot or sinus rinse? I'm pretty sure I had a sinus infection or at least the beginning of one a few months back and once I started using the sinus rinse, it went away. It felt so good to wash all that junk out of my nose! It also helped clear up my ears.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#185 of 299 Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, that makes sense with your EDD. I'd let my hcp think mine was later, too. Earlier, no, but later is cool.

What kind of sinus rinse? I have some saline nasal drops but they don't seem to help. They just stuff me up more. I can't take another week or two of feeling like crap while I wait for this to clear up. I'm so tired of feeling bad. I just want some antibiotics to get rid of it. I want to feel good and have the energy to get things done. I made it to the store today and picked up some bins for the Lego pieces. I felt so bad by the time that I got home that I didn't even bring the stuff in from the car.

I need to schedule ds3's 4 year photos. I was also thinking I'd get some professional pg photos while I'm there. I've never done that before. I want to feel good before I do that, too. What would you wear for that? I have one button down shirt that I might be able to still get in that I could unbutton to expose my belly. The problem is I've worn the same shirt for our last 2 family photos.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#186 of 299 Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:

What kind of sinus rinse? I have some saline nasal drops but they don't seem to help. They just stuff me up more. I can't take another week or two of feeling like crap while I wait for this to clear up. I'm so tired of feeling bad. I just want some antibiotics to get rid of it. I want to feel good and have the energy to get things done. I made it to the store today and picked up some bins for the Lego pieces. I felt so bad by the time that I got home that I didn't even bring the stuff in from the car.

I need to schedule ds3's 4 year photos. I was also thinking I'd get some professional pg photos while I'm there. I've never done that before. I want to feel good before I do that, too. What would you wear for that? I have one button down shirt that I might be able to still get in that I could unbutton to expose my belly. The problem is I've worn the same shirt for our last 2 family photos.

Are you sure it's an infection and not just a cold?  Boogers are green/yellow?  Otherwise, abx isnt going to help. greensad.gif  I'm sure you know that though.  Not like you're one to jump on the abx bandwagon.  When I get sick I use this:

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php

And I also use Afrin nasal spray (yes, even preggo) b/c it really helps decongest.  I personally prefer to be stuffy, but not sneezy/drippy.  So, normally I will do one spray of Afrin if I can't breathe, but will mostly rely on benadryl to keep me from sneezing and blowing my nose too much.

For my maternity photos last time, I wore under the belly jeans and my belly band folded in half to cover my boobs.  This time...if I do them... I'm not sure what I would wear!  Food for thought.  I'm still debating doing them.  Finding the time will be hard.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#187 of 299 Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 PM

The link that Baby_Cakes gave for the sinus rinse is the one I use. They sell them at Walgreens, Food Lion, CVS, etc. I got the powder packets rather than the already mixed solution and when I was really sick, I was doing it three times a day. I got the grossest stuff out of my nose. But I was finally able to breathe which helped me sleep and I think that helped me get better too. I also used breathe right strips when I was sick to help me breathe at night. I really think you should give the sinus rinse a try for a few days before you do the abx. But of course your call. I know how awful it is to feel sick. I think head cold sickness is almost the worst thing. When I feel bad, all I want to do is lay my head down and just rest.

I went to BRU tonight and returned a gift that I got at one of my showers that was a duplicate present and then I bought the changing pad, changing pad cover and some waterproof mattress liners. When I came home, I went online to order the diaper bag with some gift cards that we were given and I couldn't find it on my registry anymore. Turns out someone bought it for us! Totally wasn't expecting that because all of my showers are over. So now I have $100 at BRU to spend. I think I'm going to order one package of the Aden+Anais swaddling muslin wraps and then maybe another 2-pk of the BG 4.0 one size. Has anyone used those? I got one 2-pk but I'm not sure that I'm going to like the pocket diaper thing. I guess I could just hold on to the gift card with some balance in case I need something after she's born.

#188 of 299 Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Are you sure it's an infection and not just a cold?

I'm pretty sure it's an infection and not just cold congestion. I was sick with a cold last week and had started to get better over the weekend. This feels different. I have pain in my left ear and the left side of my nose. It hurts really bad to blow my nose and it seems the gunk never ends. My ears are so clogged that I am having trouble hearing. I haven't taken my temp but I feel like I might have a fever because I just feel hot. I don't have the sore throat or cough that I had with the cold, either. This is all in my head. It feels so congested and there's so much pressure it just hurts.

I'm not 100% sure, though, which is why I am going to the doctor. I've only had a sinus infection once before about 4 years ago. I walked around with it for 2 or 3 months thinking it was allergies until I finally couldn't take it anymore and went to the doc. He told me I had an infection, gave me meds and I felt so much better almost immediately. I can certainly pick up that sinus rinse when I'm at the drugstore filling the script. Then maybe I won't need it but I want to have it on hand so I don't have to go out again.

I really don't like taking abx, especially right now. I'm supposed to start my GBS prevention stuff next week and I don't know if abx will interfere with that. I definitely don't want to end up with a yeast infection, either, which is very probable for me. I'm just so fed up with being sick and feeling like crap. It really makes me mad that I keep getting so sick. Before we moved to NC I used to get sick maybe twice a year and it was a very mild cold. I don't know if it's the area or being run down all the time from having so much more to do but I'm over it.

Annie ~ If you've got pretty much everything you need, I say wait and see what you might need after baby comes. I've never used BG (that stands for Bumgenius, right?) but they seem to be very popular. Pockets diapers are easy and a lot of people like them. I just learned recently that most are made so that you don't even have to take the inserts out before washing. They are made to come out in the washing machine. That makes them even easier.

#189 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 05:27 AM

Annie: love the Aden and Anais swaddle wraps! I also use them for a discreet nursing cover when one is needed, especially in summer, as they are so light weight and HUGE.

MW: hope you feel better! Nasal sprays should be fine, as in not contraindicated in pregnancy, because it is a localized thing. the OB tried to tell me Sudafed was fine in pregnancy and I said, really? everything I have read says that it can interfere with the placenta blood flow as its a vasoconstrictor. She asked me, are you a pharmacist? I said no, but I read (she wasn't asking in a mean way, but in a curious way, so I wasn't offended). I do however, read medical records all day,and a good bit of that for pregnancies, so I see alot of what they tell pregnant women to do and not to do. (beyond what I know already, of course!)

I am hoping my belly comes out nice and round for pregnancy pictures, we saw one done at Penney's that was like this:  istockphoto_16124459-pregnant-mother-with-ribbon-around-belly.jpg

I thought might be cool to do with DS. And I like the gender related ribbon.

We don't bathe DS often, but we used Aveeno Lavendar and Vanilla stuff at first and love, love the smell. Now we use . . . some other organic brand that was cheaper (on clearance at the time) I find sometimes water alone does not remove all the sticky stuff he gets into. Even so, he might get a bath once a week. But he does hop in the shower with us as often as he is allowed (not to wash, he just likes to play in there).

BG are great diapers! I love ours, but only have the prints. I am not big on solids because I have so many. If I am going to spend the $$ on a new diaper, it is worth it to buy the print for me.

And MW is right, I don't - except with a couple WAHM diapers that it doesn't seem to work - take the inserts out to wash, they all come out in the machine. I am still on the hunt for a deal on newborn prefolds. I don't mind paying the $2 a diaper for GMD orange, but if I can find them for less, that is good too!

26 weeks today, which means less than 100 days until EDC! yay! need to take a new pic-of-the-week.

We had a storm last night and DS and DD were whipped into a frenzy. DS kept running laps between DH (in the kitchen or on the computer) and me (watching TV) and giggling all the way. DD was just moving lots. On the plus side, it wore DS out enough he went to bed with hardly a fuss, once he wound down enough (which was a quarter till 11).

Funny thing is, when I tell people we are having a girl, they seem to think we must be done since we got our one of each. They seem rather shocked that we'd want another :) I say, it is actually easier to contemplate a 3rd, because I've got what I need either way, and no pressure for the next baby to be of the opposite gender. they still seem skeptical at that . . . oh well.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#190 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 05:28 AM

MW, hope you start feeling better soon. My DH has come down with some sort of head cold and his almost always turns in to a sinus infection so I'm not looking forward to that. This is NOT a good time for him to be sick. The kids are home until Sunday so with him being sick, everything falls to me. Maybe it's all the extra allergens in NC that lend to you getting sick more often? If you can tolerate the sinus rinse (some people are freaked out about doing it), it might be a good idea for you to do it daily whether you are sick or not. It's supposed to rinse out the allergens that get stuck in our sinus passageways causing the allergic response.

BG stands for BumGenius. I always hear people raving about pocket dipes but when I compare them to PFs, they just seem so much more complicated, at least to wash. But if I can just throw them in and the insert will come out, that would be great. I think they would be good for my DH and my mom to use. I'm a little nervous about the microfiber though. I keep hearing horror stories about awful stink from the microfiber and I have quite a few microfiber dipes now. I have two BG 4.0s and then 12 Flip stay-dry inserts that are all microfiber.

I think I will just buy the muslin swaddling wraps and hold off on anymore dipes for the time being. I may actually end up having more BRU gift cards to spend because my goddaughter's mom bought us a baby bathtub this past weekend and I don't really need it. A close friend had already loaned me her's and I was just going to use that. Plus the new one is HUGE and I just don't know where I would store it when not in use. So I may return it. Need to talk to DH about it first though and see what he thinks.

#191 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 AM

Re: microfiber stink: well . . . I used to have that problem, but when I switched to using some bac-out in the wash, no more! and honestly they don't smell when they are clean, they just seem to smell more when they are wet. As long as you have a good diaper pail, that shouldn't be an issue.  I use this one - cheap, effective, and holds just enough diapers to get through till laundry day. I didn't want one that was so big I could go longer, if that makes any sense. Now, assuming I will have 2 in cloth, at least for a while - though I still have hopes of at least day-training DS before this one is born - I may get a second one so I can keep their diapers separate.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#192 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

I rinsed my nose out a bit with my saline nasal spray last night and I do feel a little better this morning, enough to rethink going to the doc. I really am not looking forward to possibly having to wait 4 hours to see someone. OTOH, I don't want to put it off and just continue to be sick. KWIM?

Katrina ~ Last time I asked a pharmacist about any decongestant/cold meds I was told nothing was really safe while pg. I trust a pharmacist about that over a doctor. I can't believe you are already 26w! It seems like you just got pg. People do seem to get stuck on the 2 kids thing, which is funny because I see a lot of families with more than 2 kids. shrug.gif

How exactly does that nasal rinse work? I have to admit, the thought of it does gross me out a bit. I couldn't even stand the saline spray dripping into the back of my throat. As soon as I squirted it in, I blew my nose to get everything out.

I definitely have allergies here that I never had anywhere else. They still aren't bad like a lot of people but they are pretty much constant all year round.

I like those photos with the gender ribbons and the LOs. I'll be at the WalMart in full of anyone who walks by so I want to be as covered as possible. I don't think I'd feel comfortable in a pseudo tube top. winky.gif I guess if the shirt doesn't really get in the pic it doesn't matter if it's the same one I've worn a gazillion times. Or I could try to find something really cheap at WalMart just for that. I'm thinking a shirt that I would have to pull up and hold wouldn't look very good.

My dh liked the pocket diapers as long as I stuffed them. Once they are set up you can put them on and take them off just like sposies, very easy for those CD challenged or skeptical. The only other thing easier are AIOs. The problem with those is that they can be hard to get clean and dry because they are so thick. You can get what are called AI2s, which have the outer PUL layer and a snap in soaker that gets cleaner and dryer faster. You don't always have to take off the soaker, either, since they are usually only snapped together at one end.

I don't really know about stink with microfiber. I didn't notice anything major with mine but I don't use them often. I did get stink with my hemp diapers after a while but that was when the boys were older. I figured it was more because they were eating a variety of solid foods rather than just breastmilk.

#193 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 07:01 AM

For me, I didn't like AI2's as they do snap in with a specific sort of insert. While there are inserts I prefer to use in certain dipes (BG ones in BG dipes, for example) if DH stuffs the "wrong" insert in the "wrong" diaper, it is really no big deal. it will still work/function as usual. Plus you can always add more stuffing. With an AI2, you can, of course, add soakers, etc, but again, usually needs to be specific for that diaper. Also, if you don't like the insert that a diaper is sold with, you could always use a different one, more absorbant, more natural fiber, whatever.

Oh, Annie, for your flips, once your LO is big enough, I find the Super Loopy Do insert (I think it is made by knickernappies, it is a hemp/microfiber combo) fits really well, and is AWESOME for overnight.

If you do get an AIO's, I find they dry faster if you turn them inside out. (I have exactly 1 AIO and this works well - I bought a swaddlebees AIO at a local shop, as much because I wanted to try it as because I like supporting local business if I can).

I love the price of the Walmart pics, but our "studio" seems so cramped! I would be claustrophobic in there. We started doing Penney's when DS was nearly a year old, and love it. usually good specials, and our Penney's studio is managed by a really nice person. The one we actually saw was like a white cotton shirt with the colored ribbon sewn  on to it at the hem, which came right under her bust. Make sure the Walmart will actually do belly shots; we have been in some places that won't allow it, because it violates their modesty clause. *rolls eyes*

I can't believe it either! my appt's have gotten a little off-track at the OB, I actually will be nearly 30 weeks when we do the GTC - not that I mind, of course. (granted they will be thinking I will be almost 29 weeks). It is hard to get a good feel for the office and if I really like it there, when appointments seems so few and far between. I told DH, as long as I get the end result I want - a supported VBAC - I am not that picky about the prenatal care. I honestly really loved the CNM group I was with for DS, but they got so interventionist and seemed so non-supportive of a VBAC (for me) after DS towards the end and during post partum, that I really am reluctant to return to them.

I really need to frame more of our pictures . . .

#194 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Oh, Katrina!  Insulin resistance increases as pregnancy progresses, so if you can get your GTC (wait, is that the same as the GTT?) in earlier, go for it!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#195 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Totally O/T but I just ordered my home birth kit!  GULP!  This is becoming very real all of a sudden!! bigeyes.gif

MW - it's nothing like nasal spray.  You can do it in the shower, you tip your head over forwards, and as blow out as you're squeezing the saline solution up one nostril.  The solution comes out the other nostril along with all the boogers and chunks.  If you're really congested, tip your head back and let it soak into your sinus for a minute.  It doesn't burn.  It doesn't feel uncomfortable at all.  It's very gentle and really helpful -- until you do it, it sounds like torture, but it's really quite nice.

That picture is so cute!  I looked at Penny's and it looks like they do a decent job!  I might go there for mine!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#196 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 AM

The GTC is 1 hr and the GTT is the 3 hr one. I don't know that I could convince them to do it any earlier, as I don't have an appointment any earlier than that. Since I haven't gained hardly anything and the baby is measuring on the small side, I doubt really that it should be an issue. (but who knows?)

yay for ordering your HB kit! that is exciting stuff!

There are always coupons out there, which is a big help with the picture costs. We have photographer friends, and while I am sure they would do a good job, sometimes I would just rather go to a professional.

#197 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 10:59 AM

I put off doing the nasal rinse for so long because I was nervous that it would hurt. But if you get the temp of the water right, it doesn't really feel like anything. But do make sure you keep your head tilted over the sink. I've found that if I'm super congested, some will come out of my mouth but it just tastes like the ocean. Not bothersome just a little weird. It is pretty gross to see all the stuff that comes out of your nose though, especially when you are sick. There's no way I could all of that out by just blowing my nose.

Had my weekly OB appt this morning. Ava was a little sleepy so I had to stay on the NST for longer. She would respond as long as the doctor was in there buzzing my belly with the buzzer but otherwise she would go back to sleep. I think she's running out of room too. I got my GBS results back....NEGATIVE! Wooohoooo! Oh and I lost two lbs since last week...how does that happen? I know my appetite has decreased mostly because of the heartburn. Like last night I made pizza for DH and the kids but I ate a bowl of yogurt w/granola because the pizza sounded gross to me.

#198 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM

DS hated that buzzer! They did that at both my BPP's with him because he wasn't quite as reactive as they liked. Glad all went well.

Had a baked potato for lunch and now I am sooo sleeeepy . . .

#199 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, that nasal rinse sounds gross. I don't know if I could do it. I gag sometimes when I'm brushing my teeth.redface.gif I didn't go to the doc today because I felt better. My head is starting to hurt again so now I'm wondering if I should have gone. The pain is localized on my left side.

With AI2s, I know they come with their own snap-in inserts but you could really just lay any soaker you wanted in there. It would still work. Some don't even come with snaps. They are just lay in, just like laying a PF in a cover without pins or a snappi and just fastening the cover. I've never used them myself and I'm not a fan of AIOs either but my dh liked them so they could come in handy with someone else who's reluctant to use cloth.

Katrina ~ Could you just go in for the glucose test without having an appointment? I've done that before.

The Penney's here doesn't have a photo studio. I've tried Sears but wasn't impressed with the photos we got. I was surprised that we got pretty good photos from the place in Walmart so I stick with them for now. I can totally see them saying they don't do belly shots, though. Walmart has some pretty ridiculous policies.

We got all the Lego pieces sorted and boxed up! We also got the rest of the stuff up off the floor in the playroom. Now if I only had a working vacuum. There's still junk on top of every available surface that I'd like to get put away. There's no way to put the stuff, though. The next step is to give the boys some bags and/or boxes and tell them to start tossing.

My dh had the nerve to suggest getting me a vacuum for our anniversary. I can see if I wanted some special, expensive vacuum that I normally wouldn't buy. That would be a gift. But if we have to get a new vacuum because the one we have is done, that's not a gift. I told him I'll just get a vacuum and he doesn't need to get me a gift for our anniversary. I really don't care about getting gifts like that. There are other ways to celebrate special occasions without having to spend money on something that it is not really useful and no one really wants.

#200 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

The GTC is 1 hr and the GTT is the 3 hr one. I don't know that I could convince them to do it any earlier, as I don't have an appointment any earlier than that. Since I haven't gained hardly anything and the baby is measuring on the small side, I doubt really that it should be an issue. (but who knows?)

I had mine at 29 weeks and I passed the 1 hr.  I don't think it'll be an issue!!

Quote:

Oh, that nasal rinse sounds gross. I don't know if I could do it. I gag sometimes when I'm brushing my teeth.redface.gif I didn't go to the doc today because I felt better. My head is starting to hurt again so now I'm wondering if I should have gone. The pain is localized on my left side..

My dh had the nerve to suggest getting me a vacuum for our anniversary. I can see if I wanted some special, expensive vacuum that I normally wouldn't buy. That would be a gift. But if we have to get a new vacuum because the one we have is done, that's not a gift. I told him I'll just get a vacuum and he doesn't need to get me a gift for our anniversary. I really don't care about getting gifts like that. There are other ways to celebrate special occasions without having to spend money on something that it is not really useful and no one really wants.

LOL I know it sounds awful, doesn't it?  But man, it makes you feel good!!

See that kind of stuff doesn't bug me.  For our anniversary this year, we "got each other" a convection/toaster oven.  Hah, we sort of try to apply big purchases to events so we don't feel like we are overspending.  But, FWIW, we didn't do anything for our anniversary.  I got DH a card and he didn't even do that much!  LOL.

#201 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

I did the sinus rinse. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Actually, everything that came out looked like water, nothing gross. I don't know that it made me feel any better. My nose was uncongested for maybe an hour but now it's back to being all clogged up and it still hurts. The entire left side of my head hurts. greensad.gif

I don't mind using a special occasion for a big purchase that we both want. We did that when we got our surround sound entertainment center thingie. But, again, that's something we wouldn't have bought otherwise. That's also a dual purchase, something we both wanted. The idea of him getting me a vacuum cleaner as an anniversary gift because we need one is not the same, imo. I don't expect an anniversary gift anyway and I would eventually buy the vacuum cleaner. There's really no difference, practically speaking, between what he suggested and what I said, which is that I'll buy a vacuum and we won't get other gifts. It's just the idea that he thinks that would be a good gift to give me. That's a household purchase, not a gift for one person. I'm not the maid. KWIM?

There was something else I wanted to mention but it has totally flown my mind. If I think of it, I'll be back.

#202 of 299 Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

See that kind of stuff doesn't bug me.  For our anniversary this year, we "got each other" a convection/toaster oven.  Hah, we sort of try to apply big purchases to events so we don't feel like we are overspending.  But, FWIW, we didn't do anything for our anniversary.  I got DH a card and he didn't even do that much!  LOL.

LOL. Us too. Our intended christmas present to each other this year is command start for the car, since we figured it would be a huge help with the baby coming in December. 

I'm glad to see so many good reviews for the A&A swaddling blankets. I'm lusting over them, but am having a hard time justifying the cost!

AMP makes "duo" diapers, which can be used as pockets, or the insert can be used on top as well, there's small 'tabs' to keep the insert in place while you're snapping the diaper closed, similar to the AI2 idea, but without the snaps. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#203 of 299 Old 06-23-2011, 04:27 AM

I think it may depend on the AI2 - like Grovia (which may be considered either an AI2 or a Hybrid), I think you really need to use their inserts since they are so specifically shaped for trimness. I liked the Grovia honestly, except for the Aplix, which was really, really bad. It didn't stick, even on the one I didn't buy second hand. The snap version is sure to be better. FLIP, which I guess is another AI2/Hybrid you really can use about any insert there, and they lay in, not snap.

I think I will just go when scheduled and try to remember to limit my carbs the day before.

MW: wouldn't hurt to repeat the rinse, and maybe see if the doc could work you in.

as for gifts . . . well. Since DH does most of the vacuuming, a vacuum wouldn't be a gift for ME, and if it was insinuated that it was, I would be kind of irritated. Usually our gifts to eachother are things we want but would otherwise buy for ourselves, or a treat day out or something.

JJ: Do you have Target there? I scored like 3 packs of A&A on clearance once when they switched to new patterns. keep your eyes peeled! (granted this was over a year ago, but stuff happens like that at Target alot). I gave a pack at a baby shower, and kept two for myself.

So  looking forward to my week off tomorrow! even though I will most likely be spending it moving in to the in-laws.

My Grandpa's long time companion (they have been together like 30 years, but never married) is in the hospital due to a broken hip, subsequent surgery to fix said hip, and now she is bleeding internally. She has had major blood loss and they can't keep up with the demand for blood for her, having sent out for more. (they are in a little town in Iowa). She's 80 something. My parents are mostly concerned about what to do with Grandpa if she does pass away, as no one lives near him anymore, and he is going to need some assistance . . . not that we aren't concerned with his companion, but there is little we can do for her, besides pray. All things happen at once!

#204 of 299 Old 06-23-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not familiar with Grovia or Flip. Flip is the one that's partially disposable or something, right? Maybe the insert is disposable but biodegradable, not like a Pampers or Huggies? Is that what a hybrid is? I was talking about WAHM AI2s. With those you really could use just about any insert or even a PF because all it really is is a cover and an insert. The only difference between those and getting a separate cover for a diaper is that it comes with a snap-in soaker. I was thinking those would be handy just like pockets if you snapped the soakers in for the other person who would be using them. Then all they'd have to do is put the diaper on the baby. Since only one end is snapped on, you don't really need to take it apart when you wash it, depending on the cover. That might be even easier than a pocket because it won't come apart in the wash so you wouldn't have to worry about putting it back together before next use.

I can't stand aplix on diapers. Even if they hold well, they make a lot of noise when changing, which isn't good if you are trying to change a sleeping baby. I only use snaps.

I'm planning to do another rinse today and go to the doc. I'm not sure if I should do the rinse before going, though. Could that make it harder to diagnose something? I felt so horrible by the time I went to bed last night that I had to take some ibuprofen. I know I'm not supposed to but there was no way I would have been able to sleep with that pain. Again, I feel much better, just a little congested this morning. I guess laying down helps somehow. The kitten kept licking me around the left side of my nose, mouth and ear. Do you supposed he knows something?

#205 of 299 Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 AM

Flip is made by bumgenius, it is basically a snap cover and a lay in microfiber insert. it is one size. You can also choose an organic prefold insert that you would lay in tri-folded. Hybrid means that you can choose a disposable (it is usually biodegradeable and in some cases flushable) insert or a washable one. gDiapers are hybrids. I use the gDiapers disposable inserts as back-ups in the FLIPs if I need to use them for overnight. I like FLIPs because it is pretty cheap, you get 2 covers and 6 inserts for $50 if you do the microfiber. it's another $10 for organic.

Grovia/Grobaby is a snap in system. their diapers fit really trim and the soaker is hourglass shaped and gathered in the middle. Cute, trim, diapers but kind of pricey, and the aplix was just not sticky. I can't put DS in any aplix anymore because he can remove it himself. When he was smaller, I didn't like it in the summer because he was so often in only a diaper, the aplix, if exposed, rubbed his belly raw.

I love snaps! but did get some aplix for the new baby as I don't expect her to take her diaper off herself in the early days, and as she is a fall baby, she will always have something protecting her belly. That and everyone else that does diaper changing (my mom, DH, and MIL) seem to find the aplix a little easier.

I wouldn't be surprised if the kitten did know something! and I think if you feel a rinse would make you feel better in the meantime, do one. If you think you can wait until after the doc, then that's ok too. I don't know that it would make diagnosis any more difficult.

#206 of 299 Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 AM

I really like the Flip covers and can envision using them w/PFs as well as the microfiber inserts. I have a package of the Flip disposable inserts that someone gave that I guess I can use if we get in a pinch. I'll probably keep some in the diaper bag.

Is serious PMS-like emotions a sign of the end? I am having a really tough time. It doesn't help that I am having to work from home this week while also caring for my four older ones. That type of mental gymnastics always puts me on edge but it's worse this week. We're also having HVAC issues and DH is dragging his feet getting it fixed. I'm just feeling more and more done. I'm even running out of emotional/mental steam on trying to get the baby to flip vertex. I really at a point where I just don't care anymore. I've had four chiro sessions in the past week and nothing has seemed to work so far. I took the younger three to the pool yesterday evening and I tried to do a handstand to encourage her to flip (suggestion from spinningbabies) but I couldn't stay under the water because I felt like I was drowning. Like I didn't have enough air in my lungs. I guess I could try the inversion recline trick and the ice bags up by her head but again, I'm just feeling done. My next ultrasound is next Friday. I'm going back and forth on whether I will let them attempt an ECV if she is still breech. I just want to be done making pregnancy decisions!

#207 of 299 Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Annie, I think almost everyone feels that way towards the end! I was so anxious and ready to be done with DS from week 38-40, but funny thing, after I hit my EDC, I kind of just went Zen. It didn't matter anymore (except for the stupid questions my co-works always asked).  Maybe you need to take a few days, or as much as a week,off from trying to get baby girl to flip. Maybe she just needs some relaxing time, and will go on her own. I am sure all the stress of trying to get her to flip adds to the overall physical tension. You still have 2-3 weeks until you are "due", I think?

I really think I would wait and would let them attempt an ECV sometime in week 39 (theirs, not yours, if they have your EDC later) if she still hasn't turned. Give her every opportunity to cooperate.

(((((hugs)))) it is tough!

I haven't ever used the FLIP disposable inserts, only the gDiaper ones, as they are far easier for me to find, but they are really absorbant. I like the FLIP, but tend to use pockets more since DS is so wriggly. That, and poop does get on the covers, so I might as well use a pocket system. Unless you use prefolds and snappi, I don't know how to avoid getting poop on the covers sometimes. Or maybe DS is just more of an explosive pooper than some :)

#208 of 299 Old 06-23-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
 I just want to be done making pregnancy decisions!

I hear you!!!  And I feel for you.  Nowhere near the same degree but I feel like every time I get past one test/decision there is another one looming and I'm so tired of worrying about things.  I passed GD but still have to test for GBS, and perhaps even platelets again.  And we still have Finn's genetic test to worry about.  I want to pull my hair out.  

I'm feeling lazy and not particularly nesty today, which sucks!!  I wanted to get the house spotless.  Tomorrow starts my last weekend of work!!!  Then I'm outta there and a SAHM!!  

#209 of 299 Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Annie, I think almost everyone feels that way towards the end! I was so anxious and ready to be done with DS from week 38-40, but funny thing, after I hit my EDC, I kind of just went Zen. It didn't matter anymore (except for the stupid questions my co-works always asked).  

I did that, too, when DD2 was 10 days "late."  I gave up on expecting her to ever come out, but it wasn't a negative thing at all.  I just let go of any expectations or even a feeling of waiting.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#210 of 299 Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, the crazy emotions are normal toward the end. I get more irritable toward the end, just like PMS.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page