Low TSH levels in early pregnancy (normally hypothyroid) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have another thread about hypothyroidism and pregnancy, but I just got my results yesterday (from the receptionist) from blood work taken Friday.  I'm 4 weeks pregnant.  I'm concerned because my TSH levels are low at .2, with the normal range being .2 to 4.7.  Everything else looked okay. My FT4 was a little low at 1.8, but the normal range is 1.4 to 3.8. 

My doctor is terrible at calling people back and I am very frustrated with him as I am stewing over here about it.  When I call, I only talk to the receptionist and she told me that the doctor now wants to see me in a week.  I'm freaking out because she won't tell me why I need to be seen in a week when I was just there, and I told her I wanted the doctor to call me back.  I have been super anxious the past few days and think it has to do with my thyroid levels.  She didn't even tell me to reduce my dose at all.  How am I not reducing my dose when it's that low?

Anyone have any idea what a level this low would mean? Is it normal for TSH to drop in early pregnancy? I get concerned because I had preeclampsia with my first and I truly believe it had to do with my thyroid levels being off (I was never tested for thyroid before or during my pregnancy, only after).

I am an emotional mess, whether it be pregnancy or thyroid, or bothbiggrinbounce.gif

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#2 of 2 Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If I had to guess, he probably wants to see you again in a week because your TSH level can change so quickly in early pregnancy. I had my TSH level checked a few weeks before I got pregnant and it was under 1 (can't remember the exact figure right now). I had it checked again when I was 5 weeks pregnant and it had jumped up to 5.4. I'd rather be on the low side in early pregnancy than have my TSH be too high.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page