Name help: "Wright" too weird out loud? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
bax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I both really like the name Wright for our son (due yesterday but still not born...). It's brisk, old-fashioned, masculine, we like the long-I sound with the last name, we like the meaning of it. But when we say it out loud, it seems confusing--sounds like right, write, etc.

Would we have to spell it every time we ever told anyone his name? Would there be awkward sit-com-esque moments with every introduction? (Wait, you're Wright, right? Is that wrong? Or right?) Jokes about left and Wright or wrong and Wright? Confusing conversations about Wright learning to write, or Wright turning left or right?

Or would it just become his name and we wouldn't hear the weirdness?

Any thoughts? Better yet, anyone know someone named Wright who can speak from experience?

TIA!

SAHM to Ada 8/15/2006, Calla 11/22/2008, and Wright 6/16/2011

#2 of 9 Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry, its doesn't seem like a good name to me. I'm thinking its missing something that makes it a surname like Cartwright, Wainwright... etc and so forth.

And yes, you'll be spelling it out for everyone or they will think they misheard you somehow.
#3 of 9 Old 06-12-2011, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

Would we have to spell it every time we ever told anyone his name? Would there be awkward sit-com-esque moments with every introduction? (Wait, you're Wright, right? Is that wrong? Or right?) Jokes about left and Wright or wrong and Wright? Confusing conversations about Wright learning to write, or Wright turning left or right?

Well, at his wedding there'd definitely be a few "Mr Right" jokes going around. But worse fates can befall a boy. Naming him Rong, for instance. :p I kinda like the name.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#4 of 9 Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
bax

Thanks, ladies, for taking the time to reply. The thoughtfulness about pronunciation/spelling confusion and potential jokes is very helpful.

Also, if there's anyone out there who knows someone named Wright and can give a sense of what it's like for him along these lines, that would be especially useful.

I'm not asking if people like the name, however, so I don't need to know your thoughts on that. No matter what name DH and I pick, not everyone in the world will like it--we like the name, so that's what counts for us as far as liking.

Thanks so much!

#5 of 9 Old 06-13-2011, 11:40 AM

If I heard the name as a name I would assume it is written as you wrote it and it was a last name. Many last names are being used as first names these days. I am one who choses less than normal names though. 

#6 of 9 Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM

I do think it will be confusing for him, and it very much sounds like a last name to me.

But really, if you love it, don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 9 Old 06-13-2011, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Still, I think this is better middle name material. Did you and the dh come up with anything else?
#8 of 9 Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
bax

This is so funny. DH was reading an article in a (fairly prominent) online magazine yesterday and realized the writer was named Wright, so he emailed him and asked him what it was like to have his name. The writer asked for our phone number, called us up, and told us he loved his name! He said, yes he spells it for people ("Like 'turn right' with a W," is what he says), and that growing up his family usually made a point of saying "correct" about things instead of "right." He also said that in elementary school, there were some "left" and "wrong" jokes--but that everyone's name was made fun of in elementary school, and that he never got more teasing than anyone else, and certainly was never singled out or beat up for it or anything. He said he thought it was a great name, he's never regretted having it, and he loves that it's unique. I asked if it was a problem every time he was introduced to someone or in his professional life and he said not at all. I know that this is just one case, but it's encouraging to hear from a person who's actually lived his life with the name--and who made a point of calling up total strangers to tell us how much he loves it!

#9 of 9 Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 AM

I grew up with a Wright and don't remember any jokes. Maybe the 1st time someone met him, but kids can always find something to make fun of. I always thought it sounded perfectly like a name. Wright's a common last name and tons of people use common last names as first names (like Jackson or Wyatt). I would assume that's how you spelled it, it would not occur to me to even think someone would name their kid Right.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page