Hair coloring is safe now, even in the first trimester? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone else heard this? I just called my OB/GYN to see what they had to say about Henna hair color and the first trimester, and the nurse went on to tell me that although she wasn't sure what henna was, she said that hair coloring is now safe, even in the first trimester. I asked her why they are now saying it's safe when for years they said either to color your hair after the first trimester or not at all. She wasn't sure why the change but said they now tell patients it is ok.

It was complete news to me. If they are now saying it's safe then Henna certainly should cause no issues at all.

Just wondering if anyone else heard this from their doctors.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#2 of 6 Old 06-19-2011, 03:50 AM

Why would henna every be a problem? I see many people using it directly on the skin during pregnancy (and in large amounts). Not trying to contradict, just curious...

#3 of 6 Old 06-19-2011, 04:30 AM

Hm, well I've been coloring my hair for a long time and I have noticed that there are many more "ammonia free" options now than there used to be.

#4 of 6 Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matte View Post

Why would henna every be a problem? I see many people using it directly on the skin during pregnancy (and in large amounts). Not trying to contradict, just curious...

I don't know...that's why I asked my OB/GYN.   I knew hair color in general wasn't recommended in the first trimester and I know some henna hair color has more than just henna in it, colors other than red such as dark brown, so I wasn't sure if they would tell me it would be better to wait until the second trimester, even with henna products. I just like to take all precautions when pregnant, especially in the first trimester. Just about every website I read says henna is most likely safe to use during pregnancy, and that wasn't a good enough answer for mewinky.gif I'm sure it's fine, especially now they are saying hair coloring in general is fine.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#5 of 6 Old 06-19-2011, 06:45 AM

Henna is definitely 100% safe during pregnancy, yes--especially if it's pure henna with no other stuff added.

I would stay away from more chemical dyes for sure, but I am cautious about those things, even when not pregnant.

But henna is absolutely fine. Have fun with it!
#6 of 6 Old 06-21-2011, 02:32 PM

I would guess that compared to all the other toxins we get into our body (and have accumulated over our lifetime) the effect of the chemicals in hair dye is negligable. I would also guess that recomendations tend to go on the safe rather then sorry side, so if there are an appearant connection between something they recommend against it until such a time that there is proof that there are no causality,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page