Bajingo Babies in Bloom - TTC #1 in our 30's Graduates - Summer 2011 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 237 Old 08-18-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Birdie - hug2.gif Hugs for the spotting, and the insensitive co-worker!  I'm sure everything is fine, though.  Maybe something just irritated your cervix, which has a lot of extra blood flow right now.  I'd sure keep all personal info from the co-worker in the future though... I want to smack her for you!

Hokie - I hope you get some good news from that job your DH interviewed for.  And yeah, all those interviews do seem terribly excessive!  

Tank - Good luck with work!  I couldn't imagine having a physically demanding job while pregnant.  I have a hard enough time with my mostly office/driving job, and trying to keep the house semi-clean.  Just doing all that wears me out, so you deserve some kind of medal for your effort!  

Meander - Thanks for stopping by to update us!  I'm so glad to hear that y'all are doing well, and that Alaric is thriving.  Good luck dealing with the exhaustion... we'll all be joining you in the fog of exhaustion soon enough!  

Nothing interesting going on here, just plugging along and counting down the days until I get to meet my little munchkin.

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#182 of 237 Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 PM

#183 of 237 Old 08-19-2011, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Birdie - Yay for the good check up from the MW!  And you're right about the cervix check - I had mine checked once during the pregnancy when I was having killer can't-walk back pain just to make sure it wasn't somehow related, and it did make me spot.  Even though I knew to expect it, it really freaked me out.  And woo-hoo for the lifting limit!  Aren't the BH contractions the weirdest thing?  I actually had on that was painful yesterday for the first time - usually they are just a bit uncomfortable (especially if they somehow clamp down on my bladder).  But I like the idea that my uterus is "practicing," even if I know they aren't "productive" contractions.  

#184 of 237 Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meander View Post

Wow, it's been way too long. I spend no time online these days, and when I am here, I read but never bother to post.

*hugs* to all you ladies--you are on my mind more often than you might think! 

(and birdie, I'm sorry about the spotting, but you're so far along now! I'm sure you and baby are perfectly fine)

yeahthat.gif

I check in almost daily, but I'm in such a haze lately. It's all worth it, though. love.gif Anika hit the 8lb mark today. bigeyes.gif She has been dealing with reflux, poor thing, and she seems to have trouble sleeping anywhere but in her carseat and in our arms. When we lay her down flat she starts groaning and clearing her throat and coughing up milk and curds, sometimes gagging and coughing. Last night was a record: she slept from 8-11pm, but after that she was just groaning and spitting in her crib. I finally put her in her bouncy chair on the floor and lay next to her, which didn't really help except that I was right there to soothe her when she needed it. Not much sleep was had. I'm starting to feel light-headed from lack of sleep, but also my blood pressure seems to be returning to normal so that's great! Today we finally tried the third brand of pacifier and she took it, and she's happily sucking away for a couple hours now, flat on her back! I'm nervous to get her dependent on it, but I know it can help her keep the acid down so that seems worth it. She is super cute and is starting to have more alert phases during the day when she looks around with big eyes. I read her a book yesterday and she totally drank in the pictures for about half of it. We are so in love!

birdie, I agree -- spotting sounds scary but you are so far along now that your baby will be ok. I'm glad it stopped! hug2.gif

Val, you're getting so far along! I remember time slowing WAY down at that point, probably because people around me kept expecting me to give birth any minute. Thinking of you!

ok--gotta go nurse. Lots of love to you ladies!

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#185 of 237 Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM

How are those BH Val? Have your pains subsided? I'm excited for you, he's coming soon!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#186 of 237 Old 08-23-2011, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Tear78!!!  So glad to see a happy update from you - despite the reflux issue.  Hopefully the pacifier will help with that.  

Rosie - The pain has mostly subsided with the BH.  They're still here, though, just no more real painful ones.  I notice them most often when I change positions - i.e. standing up if I've been sitting for a while.  Hope you are doing well in the first trimester!  How's the exhaustion?  I remember about 8 weeks is when it hit me really hard.  

So we had our hospital tour last night.  It made it seem so very REAL.  All the nurses seem nice, though.  Some of the rooms have whirlpool tubs in them, so I"m going to try to get one of those, we'll see.  The nurses also seem to very much encourage you to get out of bed while you are in labor, and they have birthing balls they encourage everyone to use.  So I don't think it'll be the scary hospital stay-in-bed kind of experience.  I can't believe it's only five more weeks until my official due date!  Eek!!!  We have a measuring u/s later this week to see how big the baby is, I can't wait to see him again!  We haven't seen him since around 17 weeks.  

Hope everyone else is doing well!

#187 of 237 Old 08-23-2011, 05:59 PM

Sounds like a great hospital visit! I've been reading birth stories in one of Ina May's book (psychological prep work for me, starting early), and a recurring theme seems to bee the universal love for laboring in water. Fingers crossed that you get one of those tubs. :)

Val you have reminded me of a question I've been meaning to google - are birthing balls essentially the same as exercise balls you see at the gym? 

Today I was floored by exhaustion. I got home to do grading at about 1PM and couldn't keep my eyes open. Unfortunately queasiness stopped me from falling asleep. I literally laid in bed for four hours, getting up once for the earthquake. I don't know what I would have done if I was in class or a meeting. Eek! 

I'm so happy to hear from Tear and Meander. Just reading the phrase "gotta go nurse" gets me kind of giddy. :D

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#188 of 237 Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Rosie - It's my understanding that birthing balls are essentially the same as exercise balls.  Makes me sad that my cats destroyed my last exercise ball (decided it would be a fun place to sharpen claws).  I've considered buying a new one to have at home, since my friend's doula recommended she sit on it in the weeks leading up to her due date to prep her body for delivery... supposedly it helps open up your pelvis.  Hope you are feeling better today!  I"m sure the exhaustion and nausea mixed together is a pretty tough combo!  

#189 of 237 Old 08-24-2011, 03:28 PM

thats funny that your cats destroyed your ball.  I had one briefly that my mom bought me for a birth ball and my dog wouldn't let me sit on it and eventually destroyed it.  I should really get a new one and hide it from her.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#190 of 237 Old 08-25-2011, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to know it's not just my cats that are destructive!  ;)

Going for a measurement u/s today - yay!  Get to see little munchkin again for the first time in weeks!!!  

#191 of 237 Old 08-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Yay for getting to see your little boy!

One of my pups was obcessed with my ILs exercise ball. He eventually bit a hole in it. For a while, though, it was fun to watch him try. He was like the sharks in James and the giant Peach.

#192 of 237 Old 08-25-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, my doctor's appointment today was not NEARLY as much fun as I had anticipated.  First of all, if the ultrasound is right, my baby's going to be a big guy!  According to the ultrasound estimates, he's already about 7lb 5oz.  I'm only 35 weeks (he's measuring 38 weeks)!!!  I really don't get how he can be so big, I've only gained 20 pounds total.  

Second thing, he's transverse - a.k.a. laying sideways.  Fantastic.  The doctor said at this point we have about a 25% chance that he'll move head down on his own.  If he hasn't by my next appointment (and another ultrasound), we have two options: schedule a c-section for 39 weeks, or try to externally move him around 37 weeks, which may result in my going into labor or having a c-section at that moment.  Ugh.  Looking for exercises to turn a transverse baby - any suggestions would be welcome!  

#193 of 237 Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

He was like the sharks in James and the giant Peach.

biglaugh.gif Thanks for that image. winky.gif

Val, try lying on your back with your knees bent and a pillow or two under your butt for about 10 minutes a day (unless you start to feel dizzy or uncomfortable). Then alternate with polar bear position: start on all fours, then put your elbows and forearms on the ground and your head propped on your fists so you butt is up in the air. My yoga recommended these poses for breech positioning, but it might work for transverse, too. There's a video on this page that shows these two poses (scroll down pretty far). And don't let the u/s freak you out, it's not necessarily accurate. goodvibes.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#194 of 237 Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Darnit, I just lots my post. Well, the short if it was, why schedule a section at 39 weeks instead of 40-41? Is turning him later impossible too?

#195 of 237 Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Tear - Thanks for the position tips and website!  I have a feeling I'll spend a good part of the next week in some funky poses trying to get this little munchkin to turn.  I had DH talking to him where we want the head to be to see if he'd go towards the noise.  We're also going to try music down there, and lights, and anything else I can find!

Rosie - I'm not sure why they schedule the c-section at 39 instead of 40... good question.  I'll make sure to ask at my next appointment.  I know if we do have to go the scheduled c-section route, I'm going to ask for another ultrasound immediately prior to the surgery just to make sure the baby hasn't turned before we get there.  He was doing some weird jumpy/jerky movements early this morning while I was trying to sleep, so I'm hopeful that he's gotten the hint.

#196 of 237 Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM

#197 of 237 Old 08-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Birdi I had my Rhogam shot a few weeks ago and it was much easier than I thought.  They did it in my hip and it didn't hurt or anything.  I am usually good with shots except for ehrn I get blood taken and watch it go into the tube.... then I get woozy.

val I'd imagine they scedule it for 39 weeks to lessen the chances of you going into labor and having something go wrong?  Just a guess.  I hope he turns for you!  I heard that swimming does it sometimes so maybe youd want to try that.

I found the LeLecheLeague breastfeeding book at a used bookstore today and got it.  I also bought everyone poops!  His first childrens book I bought that is actually for him!  So excited.  I haven't bought any baby stuff in a while and I was getting an urge but don't really want to buy anything since my shower is in a few weeks.  This was kind of a random thing because we were walking downtown and decided to go in the used bookstore.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#198 of 237 Old 08-26-2011, 06:07 PM

Just popping in quickly - Val, don't panic about the u/s results! Those can be off by 2 lbs or more. Have you checked out spinningbabies.com? I'm to understand there are tons of ideas there for how to turn your baby! I'm thinking of you!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#199 of 237 Old 08-29-2011, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips and reassurance ladies!  I'm feeling much more positive about everything now.  I've been doing exercises all weekend to get the baby to turn - I've bad my hips/butt in the air for hours, rocked on the exercise ball, walked the stairs two at a time, done pelvic tilts, and cold packs/lights/and sound to the belly.  Hopefully some of it will work.  If it doesn't, the odds of the external version (turning) working are pretty high for fully breech babies, so I'm assuming it's even higher for transverse babies.  As for the size... I'm hoping they over-estimated.  But even if they were right, it's not like I'm a petite person, so I think I can handle it.  I go back on Thursday to see if he's moved, and then we'll go from there.

Birdie - I've never had that experience with the food/drink.  Maybe check with your practitioner to make sure it's normal?

Tank - Yay for the first book purchase!  Our first book was "Oh The Thinks You can Think" by Dr. Seuss... I think that's what it was called, I could be wrong.  

LivingSky - Thanks for the good thoughts!  Hope your new family is doing well!  Can't wait to see new pics of your growing boy.  

#200 of 237 Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 PM

"Oh The Thinks You can Think" by Dr. Seuss is one of my favorite gifts for kid's birthdays. winky.gif

#201 of 237 Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

I've been having DH read it to my belly... it's a fun book.

#202 of 237 Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 AM

Val: Everyone in my DDC who had an external version did have it succeed! I'm hoping that spinningbabies.com stuff works for you, but if not then I have high hopes for an external version should it be necessary!

As for pictures - ask and ye shall receive smile.gif

Kayden saw the doctor for the first time yesterday. He is now a whopping 13 lbs 14 ozs! He is gaining a solid 2 ozs every day (average is 1/2 oz to 1 oz per day). I hope that means he's going to have a length-wise growth spurt soon! He is 55 percentile for length and 97th percentile for weight redface.gif

Anyways, some pics from Aug 25th (6 weeks old)
Chillin' on the pillow:

Gettin some love from his daddy:

And my personal favorite - I LOVE the expression on his face orngbiggrin.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#203 of 237 Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 AM

Val: I know its a little late now but have you looked into anyone doing moxa? It basically uses a little heat to try to flip the baby, acupuncturist and naturpath usually do it. Hope the spinning works!

Livingsky: The pics are super cute, he looks so alert! I love it when babies start to really get into looking around and recognizing things.

We got slammed by Hurricane Irene, we're on day four with no electricity or water. I guess if we ever wanted to experiment with off grid living we're doing it now! Several of our trees came down, taking out part of our shed and several power lines, but luckily the house is still in one piece. We're not expected to get power back for a few more days, but they opened a shelter near us so we can take a shower and the food bank is providing some meals. We can drive about 30 minutes to a nearby city so I can have internet access since I work online so thought I'd check in with you ladies. My appointment to find out the sex was Monday, but the docs office also has no power so we'll have to reschedule.

Hope everyone is well!

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#204 of 237 Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 AM

#205 of 237 Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

LivingSky - Thanks for sharing the new pics!  He looks so alert and bright-eyed.  And both you and DH look so in love.  

Ram - Sorry to hear y'all got slammed by the hurricane.  She was a tough old hurricane, mainly because once she got somewhere, she stuck around FOREVER!  I didn't think it would ever end.  

Birdie - Yay for good results from the GD screening!!

So, little munchkin has decided to turn, yay!  He's not all the way turned yet, he's still a little oblique, but that's better than being transverse last week.  Now the doc thinks he'll finish positioning himself on his own, so we're good to go.  He also said with me being tall, he has more room to maneuver, so that may be why he turned to start with.  Anyway, I'm happy that there's no more talk of a c-section, and now only a slight chance for the external version thing.  Sweet!  Unfortunately, I am GBS positive, so I guess that means an antibiotic during labor.  Oh, well, that's better than the c-section!  

#206 of 237 Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 PM

I love the happy Kayden pics!

Hurrah for Baby boy turning!

#207 of 237 Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Woohoo! After a little bit of a freakout yesterday, I called my midwife and told her I was afraid of a missed miscarriage for no logical reason whatsoever. This was probably brought on by the family reunion being this weekend, and impending time to tell DH's parents. 

Long story short, she offered to try to listen for the heartbeat early, not guaranteeing anything. I went today, laid on the couch, said something, and immediately was hushed because the tones were right there! It's alive! Yay! There's a living, growing baby inside me! Woohoo!

I am so relieved. Now I get to go on to a weekend of hanging out with and being surrounded by people whom I love. 

#208 of 237 Old 09-02-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Yay for hearing the heartbeat Rosie!!!!  Have a great, relaxing weekend!

#209 of 237 Old 09-02-2011, 06:54 PM

#210 of 237 Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 AM

Yay Val for baby flipping on his own!

and Yay Rosie for the hearing the heartbeat! I had the same kind of fear up until this week really when baby starting moving around a bunch. Even with the movement I was still glad to go to our appointment yesterday and hear the heart-beating away.

After five days we got our electricity back yesterday, woohoo! Our doc had power on Friday so we were able to get in and will have an u/s next week or the week after to find out the sex...we can't wait!

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page