Bajingo Babies in Bloom - TTC #1 in our 30's Graduates - Summer 2011 - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 237 Old 09-04-2011, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Big HOORAY! For Val's baby flipping techniques! SO glad they worked for you and you can stop worrying about all that nasty c/s talk.

And Rosie, I totally understand the needing to hear the heartbeat! Until I could feel baby move, I would get paranoid every few days that he had died, for no good reason at all. It would be particularly bad just before I had a midwife appointment. Very happy for you that your midwife was able to find the heartbeat and allay your fears smile.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#212 of 237 Old 09-06-2011, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the cheers on the baby turning!  I still get paranoid sometimes that he'll turn back, but based on the pressure I've been feeling in my pelvis this weekend, I'm pretty sure he's still head down... woo-hoo!

Ram - Yay for getting power back!  Five days without power is a LONG time.  Can't wait to hear your report on the sex of the baby!  Any guesses?  When I was finding out, I thought I was having a girl, but was obviously wrong.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!  We finally finished up the nursery over the weekend, so I think we're officially ready for baby!  I"m 37 weeks today, so ANY DAY NOW would be good... I'm starting to get a bit impatient.  If anyone has any tips to nudge the process along, I"m open to it.  LivingSky - didn't you try some stuff to get labor jump started?  I"m hopeful that the full moon next week will help.  

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#213 of 237 Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM

ValH: I took the "labour inducing concoction" that my SIL's midwife gave to her. It is:
2 tablespoons castor oil
1 cup apricot nectar
1 cup water
2 tb almond butter
5 drops lemon verbana oil

blend together in the morning and drink it quickly (within 30 minutes) repeat in 5 hours if necessary.

Dont take before 38 weeks. I took the first dose, then DTD with DH at 5 hours and labour began immediately afterwards. I seriously doubt it will bring on labour if baby isnt ready to go, so I think its pretty safe. Kayden was head down and engaged and I was 75% effaced before I took it.

Im so excited for you! Cant wait for pictures of your baby, whenever he comes smile.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

#214 of 237 Old 09-07-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

LivingSky - Thanks for the concoction recipe!  Where would I get apricot nectar and lemon verbana oil?  Maybe a specialized grocery store? 

Anyone heard of/tried the red raspberry leaf tea?  A friend of mine swears that even if it didn't help start her labor, she thinks it shortened her labor.  

#215 of 237 Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Ina May's methods for birth induction are nipple stimulation, sex, walking, and I think she mentioned castor oil?  

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#216 of 237 Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Congrats on hearing the heartbeat rosie!  When I heard the heartbeat for the first time I cried. 

I can't believe you are almost there Val! I am so happy to hear he has turned!  I have heard of castor oil for inducing labor.  That concoction livingsky posted seems interesting.

AFM... miserable.  I have poison ivy... again.  This time on my face and around both my eyes.  I went to urgent care and they couldn't do anything for me.  They said that they don't perscribe steriods to pregnant women.  When I had mentioned it to my midwife in the spring because I know I get a bad reaction to poison ivy every year she said steriods wouldn't be a problem.  I was supposed to have an appt with my midwife today but they canceled on me because someone went into labor.  I am going in tomorrow so maybe they will have some more insight for me.  The itching sucks but it is really the swelling that is bothering me.  When I first wake up I can hardly see.  It sucks.  Sorry for yet another vent... I am beyond fustrated.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#217 of 237 Old 09-08-2011, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Rosie - Thanks for posting Ina May's recommendations!  I did try nipple stimulation yesterday, and I swear I had a few BH contractions afterwards, so I may keep trying that to see if it will work.  I did do some long walks this weekend, but during the week I'm so exhausted by the end of the day, walking from the couch to the bed seems like a mile.  Hopefully I'll be less exhausted today and can talk DH into doing some walking with me.  

Tank - I'm sorry to hear about the poison ivy!  Yuck!!  I hope you can get in with your MW soon and hopefully find some relief!  

#218 of 237 Old 09-08-2011, 10:58 AM

notes.gif committing livingskys recipe to memory just in case and good luck Val!

Tank: So sorry about the poison ivy.  I can roll around in the stuff no problem, but my dh has a very bad reaction to it too. He has horrible swelling and the marks look so painful. I can't imagine having it on my face that must be so miserable for you. hug2.gif

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#219 of 237 Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Val - Another thing she mentioned is try natural induction in the mornings after a good long rest. No point in trying to start labor at the end of the day when you're exhausted anyway. I'm excited that you're sooooo close. :)

tank - UGH, poison ivy is terrible, but on your FACE sounds excruciating. ARG. So sorry you have to deal with that. How do you manage to run into poison ivy every year? UGH. We have poison ivy grown right next to our carport. It's intertwined with a gorgeous azalea that I don't want to give up or move. So every few months DH dutifully pulls out the ivy vines for me, before it encroaches into the car area. He doesn't react to it. I'm jealous.

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#220 of 237 Old 09-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Yay Val for being so close and for a well-positioned baby!  And yay Rosie for hearing the heartbeat!  That's fantastic.

I'm sorry about the poison ivy, Tank, that's sucky.  Especially if you're getting conflicting reports about steroid use during pregnancy.  I hope it clears up soon, even better if it does it on its own!

Ram - I'm glad your power is back on, that is a pretty long stint with no power.  I guess you still had water, just not hot water? 

Val - Red Raspberry Leaf tea is one of the few herbs that has any scientific basis for use during pregnancy.  It apparently helps to tone the uterine muscles.  It probably won't induce labor (most labor inducers are considered unsafe for pregnancy, whereas RRL can be taken throughout the third trimester), but it can help to make those muscles work more efficiently so labor would be shorter.  I think it's generally recommended as a longer-term use thing, though, not just before labor.  Anyway, it's one of the only ones that research says "Can't hurt, might help" as long as you're in the third trimester.  Most herbal concoctions just don't have any research done on them for pregnancy use.

AFM:  Still totally exhausted.  My husband was home for a week and brought a young guy from work with him to help get stuff done around the farm.  He was very helpful, and we didn't have to pay him too much . . . but I did have to do most of the cooking, and a 20-year-old guy sure can eat A LOT!  And the kitchen was such a mess . . . I wore myself out just cooking and cleaning.  Not that it takes much to wear me out.  Anyway, they sure did get a lot done.  Now my husband drove him back out to work, but DH will be coming back in the next week, for good.  I'm looking forward to that.  He was very supportive of me and made me feel good about how much I was getting done when I felt like I was not getting ANYTHING done, so that was nice.  He also keeps telling me I'm huge, which I think is endearing as well as accurate.  Accurate about my belly, anyway.  It's been stinking hot here (for here), up around 90 for the last bunch of days.  I am not well-equipped to deal with that.  I finished all the blankets I'm planning to make.  Fortunately, I finished them before the heat came.  Right now I'm crocheting a stuffed dragon, and I'll make a baby dragon to go with it, for my niece.  Then she won't feel left out when her baby sister gets a blanket.  And I'm learning a new knit stitch (brioche stitch) and making a baby sweater out of oh-so-incredibly-soft alpaca yarn for my baby.  Fun!  I'm finding ways to enjoy being unable to do much physically.  Also, I've been watching True Blood.  I don't watch much TV normally, so that's very different.  Good times.  It's feeling real to me now, on and off.  That wriggling and roiling in my abdomen really is a baby.  Sometimes I am sure of it, other times I just know its true but can't really feel like it is.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#221 of 237 Old 09-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Hey Hykue!  I am glad your DH will be back for good very soon!  We are getting so close!  I have to learn how to do different things now that I can't physically do much too.  I am still working so I am pretty tired at the end of the day but all I do now is work, watch tv and sleep.  I know I am going to go crazy when I stop working before the baby comes.  I have a list in my head of things to do but it is going to take some adjustment.

I went to my midwife yesterday. Actually I hadn't told you guys but remember when I was saying that one of my midwives I wasn't really clicking with personally.  Well she moved and now there is a new one.  I clicked with her right away which is good.  So anyway I saw the new midwife yesterday (I actually took the appointment of the lady who went into labor lol) and she told me that the risks are generally for the 1st trimester and looking at how bad the poison ivy was and that it was around my eyes that I should take the steroids.  So I started them yesterday and it is already starting to look better.  I went back to work today and man it was tough.  I was all self concious because my face was all puffy and broken out in a rash and the steroids made my muscles feel weak.  I had to take lots of breaks but I got through it.  Then after work the DP and I treated ourselves to take out chinese food since I didn't feel like sitting in a crowded resturant looking like this.  So, all in all I am feeling much better.  Also during my appointment the midwife had my little dude in between her hands.  She had his head in one hand and his bum in the other at the same time so it was like she was holding him.  It was the coolest thing ever.  I can't wait for him to come out!

I hope everyone is feeling good!  Val you are so close I can't wait until I see you post that your little one has arrived!

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#222 of 237 Old 09-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Val: Re RRL tea, exactly what Hykue said smile.gif Apricot nectar can be found in most grocery stores in the ethnic food section (Walmart superstores carry it) usually in little 125 ml glass bottles. Lemon verdana oil is harder. I wasnt able to find it at all but I got the herbs at a health food store and made really strong tea with it and used that.

Hykue: It HAS been hot here! Holy macro! Thankfully its supposed to be cooler this coming week. Glad your DH will be home soon!

tank: SO glad youj're able to take steroids for the poison ivy. I hope it clears up for you soon!

#223 of 237 Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

LivingSky & Hykue - Thanks for the info on the RRL tea!

Hykue - So glad your DH is coming home for good next week!  I can't imagine how exciting and comforting it will be to have him there on a permanent basis.  

Tank - Glad you were able to get some steroids for the poison ivy!  I couldn't imagine having that on top of pregnancy - yuck!  

LivingSky - Hope you and your little one are doing well!!!  

AFM - I've just been absolutely exhausted, like to the point of tears.  It's been tough, but DH is trying to take care of me and keeps telling me not to do stuff... but it's stuff that needs to be done, like shopping, cleaning, etc.  I can't just stop living because I'm tired, plus I have a lot to get done before the baby arrives.  I really wish I could stop working before the baby comes, though, that would for sure help with my energy level... but financially it's just not feasible right now.  Blah.  But on a positive note, the baby's head is now in "perfect" position, according to the doctor.  So we went from transverse two weeks ago, to slightly oblique but moving in the right direction last week, to perfect this week!  Yay!!!  Now I'm just back to the waiting game... 

#224 of 237 Old 09-10-2011, 11:57 AM

That is so awesome Val!  I am so happy he has moved into the correct position.  It must be such a relief.  My lazy dude has been head down and on my right side ever since the midwife could feel where he is or the 20 week us. 

I have to work until I am full term too and am SO tired.  It sucks that this country doesn't have better maternity leave benefits.  There is no way I could afford to stop working early and it sucks.  I also wish I knew it would be this hard so I could have at least tried to save more or something.  We are so terrible at saving money because once we do we always need it for something!

#225 of 237 Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 AM

Hykue: No we didn't have water at all. We're on well water, but have an electric pump so no electricity, no water! We're stocking up on water for the winter since the electricity usually goes out once during a snow storm. Yay for DH coming home and making progress on the farm! We're trying to catch up on all the winterizing we need to do to keep baby from freezing!

Tank: Thank goodness you could take something for the poison ivy. I second better maternity (and paternity leave). I'm lucky to work from home, but that means I'm not covered by any laws so I get zero leave. Dh doesn't get anything either and with no family near I'm really going to need his help early on. I know his work is pretty cool, but it would be nice if he had something guaranteed.

Val: Yay for baby being ready to go! I keep checking in expecting to see you with a your little one! The extreme tiredness is kicking in for me, I barely make it through dinner before I'm ready to pass out.

So still don't know the gender. I'm getting desperate now. I want to make some things and even though most of our stuff is neutral I want to sew some customizable stuff. 

#226 of 237 Old 09-12-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

I agree about the maternity/paternity leave issues!  I am getting six weeks paid, but it's only paid because I am using every hour of sick and vacation time I have saved with my employer.  After I return to work, I'll have no vacation or sick time at all, which is going to suck.  

Ram - I don't remember, are you having an u/s anytime in the near future to determine gender??  

So still no baby here.  I'm 38 weeks tomorrow.  I haven't had any symptoms or signs to make me think labor will be any time soon... no lost mucus plug, or bloody show... nothing.  Guess I'll be around for a while longer!

#227 of 237 Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 AM

Val: We keep trying to get an u/s scheduled but the doc hasn't ordered one yet. We have another appointment in a couple of weeks and we'll try to get him to order one then.

#228 of 237 Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Ram - I'm sure you'll get an U/S ordered soon.  I think docs like to do u/s around the stage you are now so they can check all the anatomy and make sure all is well.  I'd be growing pretty impatient by now if I were in your shoes, too!  

#229 of 237 Old 09-15-2011, 02:15 PM

#230 of 237 Old 09-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ValH lurk.gif I am lurking and thinking of you daily! I remember from 30 weeks on I started to get really impatient, and each week felt like forever. You're already pregnant longer than I was! I'm rooting for you to have an easy, smooth labor whenever you're both ready. dust.gif

birdie, I hear you on needing to block out those "helpful" birth comments. Build that bubble of peace!

Anika had her first immunizations today. Oh, I felt like such a bad mommy betraying her trust - she was all sleepy and cuddled up, and then...OWWWEEEEE! It was pretty quick though, and now we're watching and hoping she doesn't feel yucky afterwards. Poor little one!

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#231 of 237 Old 09-15-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear78 View Post

Anika had her first immunizations today. Oh, I felt like such a bad mommy betraying her trust - she was all sleepy and cuddled up, and then...OWWWEEEEE! It was pretty quick though, and now we're watching and hoping she doesn't feel yucky afterwards. Poor little one!

I bawled (BAWLED) after Nell's first vaccination.  I had to run out quickly avoiding everyone's eyes...  shy.gif

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#232 of 237 Old 09-15-2011, 06:04 PM

birdie:  yah all my midwives have been able to feel where the actual head is and tell that it is the head. 

my poison ivy is pretty much all better but.... last night I tried to swollow my vitamin and it went down sideways I think and I immediatly spit out the water.  Then I sat there for a minute feeling like I was going to puke.  I ended up puking in the sink (and peeing at the same time shhhh!) a lot!  DP helped me into the shower and that felt really good.  He also cleaned out the sink while I was in the shower, man I love him.  Then when I got out I looked at my face in the mirror and all the places where I had poison ivy had broken blood vessels!  Now I look awful again.  It doesn't hurt or itch or anything though.  I swear I have had the worst luck.  My shower is in a couple of days and I am going to feel so self concious anyway and with all the pictures... ugh.  Luckily a lot of people can't make it.  We only gave people one week notice so I had a feeling it would end up being small but now I am glad it is.

#233 of 237 Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle View Post

I bawled (BAWLED) after Nell's first vaccination.  I had to run out quickly avoiding everyone's eyes...  shy.gif

awwww hug.gif I bawled at the first heelstick test we witnessed. She is feeling lousy. Her little eyes are all tired and kind of glassy and she keeps waking up whimpering. greensad.gif She doesn't feel feverish though, and she just nursed ok.

tank, I'm sorry you're having a rough time! I peed my pants royally when I had my good heaves. hug2.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#234 of 237 Old 09-16-2011, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

birdie - Hey, good to see you around!  Good idea to block out the "helpful" birth stories.  I'm getting those all the time now.  I just kind of nod and say "uh-huh," and try to forget whatever they said.  People just don't think.  I hope I never do that to a pregnant lady later down the road!  

Tear - Thanks for thinking of me!  I've been having my really impatient days, too... a lot of them... but the past two days have been better.  I'm not quite as tired as I had been being, and walking is a little less painful.  Plus, my doctor yesterday essentially told me not to expect anything before the end of the month, so now I'm just kind of resigned to the fact that I'm going to be pregnant for probably about two more weeks.  Glad to hear you and Anika are doing well (minus the vaccination experience - not looking forward to that... hopefully she'll get over the post-shot lousy feeling soon).  

Tank - Glad to hear your poison ivy is better!  Sorry to hear about the vomiting/peeing experience.  But that's great that your DH is so supportive and helpful!  I hope you have fun at your shower, and enjoy all the attention!  

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  Yay for Friday!

#235 of 237 Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies!

Just wondering if anyone wanted to start a new thread in the near future?  Summer technically comes to an end on Friday.  Would someone like to start an Autumn thread??  

#236 of 237 Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 AM

I can start a thread since I'll be around and childless through the winter. Heeheee. Val, any little cramps? Is he giving you any signs he's coming soon? 

#237 of 237 Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Here's a Fall thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1330335/bajingo-juice-turned-into-a-bun-in-the-oven-ttc-1-in-our-30-s-graduates-fall-2011

Please excuse the corny title. orngbiggrin.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page