Bajingo Babies in Bloom - TTC #1 in our 30's Graduates - Summer 2011 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 237 Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thumb.gif Welcome Bajingo Juice Club Graduates! thumb.gif

This thread is an extension of TTC #1 In Our 30's.

We are the ladies of the BJC who have gotten our BFPs.

All due dates are welcome.

Are you pregnant, in your 30's, and weren't involved in the BJC?  Welcome and please join us!

Let's keep in touch during our pregnancy journeys.

The more the merrier!

Due September 2011:

27 ~ ValH, 31, BFP after 13 cycles (second cycle on Clomid), expecting a boy!

Due October 2011:

30 ~ Hykue, BFP after 4 (spread out) months trying and one miscarriage

31 ~ tank, 29, BFP after 16 months, expecting a boy!

Due November 2011:

17 ~ cristinimartini, 30, BFP after 4 months of trying (2 of charting)

21 ~ birdie.lee, 31, BFP after 12 months, expecting a delivery surprise!

Due February 2012:

01 ~ Ramzubo, 29, BFP after 6 months of trying and 1 ectopic loss

26 ~ Hokievol, 33, BFP after 3 months of trying, 6 months of charting

Due April 2012:

02 ~ RosieL, 29, BFP after 8 months and low morphology numbers

Congratulations 2011 Mamas!

Blanca78, Elonwy, Meander, LivingSky, Tear78

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#2 of 237 Old 06-21-2011, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, Val! blowkiss.gif

ps - 1 1/2 more days with students....are we there yet? upsidedown.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#3 of 237 Old 06-21-2011, 03:22 PM

#4 of 237 Old 06-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Woohoo - thanks ValH for the new thread!!

So, today, we did it. We requested a change of care to a different midwife. We sat down and had lunch with our previous midwife and explained our concerns to her and she was very understanding. I think in the end a big part of the problem was simple communication skills on her end. She is very knowledgeable and very cautious (maybe a bit over cautious) but she doesn't know how to communicate her concerns without making it seem like she doesn't have any confidence in the mother. I hope our conversation and situation will help her sort that out with future mothers in her care. As for us, we will hopefully meet our new midwife next week - if we haven't already met her. There are 4 midwives in the practice and we have met one other one and talked briefly with a 3rd. So one of them will take over our care from here on out. I guess he tough part now is establishing a relationship with someone new in just a few short weeks. Still, I'm feeling a lot better (DH is as well) so I know we made the right choice.

birdie: Watching the belly move all on it's own is both absolutely enthralling and just a bit creepy. It makes me think just a bit of the Alien movies, or Spaceballs. But I could literally just sit and stare at him moving for hours. I definitely notice movement most often when I'm sitting down. I didn't start feeling him move until around 20ish weeks, so I'm jealous you can feel it so much sooner!

Anyway - tomorrow is my last day at work! WOOOHOOOO!!!! joy.gifjoy.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#5 of 237 Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 PM

checking in with the new thread.

livingsky that sounds like an ideal way to switch providers so late I hope it works out well for you.  I am having a similar but different issue with my midwives roight now.  I love them and they have a great reputation.  There is 3 of them and the patients see each of them equally.  The one that is on call when you go into labor is the one who will be at the birth.  I think this is a great way of doing things.  But.. one of them I feel like I don't click with.  She is new to that place but had been a midwife for a long time.  I have confidence in her attending births and all that but I just don't feel like we click personally.  The other two I feel like I had an instant connection with and can talk with them at length without aqward silences and all that.  I don't know if I should give it time or talk to her or one of the other midwives about it.  I don't want to hurt her feelings esp since we might end up with her as our support during labor you know?  I don't want to go somewhere else at all because I love this place and I love everyone there.

I felt the wolverine (baby's nickname) move for the first times while I was sitting down right after I ate.  I thought it was just because he got really happy when I ate but then realized it was my position and the fact that I could pay more attention to things going on inside my body.  Now I feel him move all the time it's so cool.  I have felt him on the outside but dp still hasn't been able to feel him.  Probably any day now he will be able to.

I also bought some clothes yesterday for wolverine.  I didn't really mean to, I just was looking around babies r us and found the coolest hoodie on clearance and then I found a jumpsuit with drums on it.  I have been looking for one forever.  My dp is a drummer and we always see stuff with guitars on it but never drums!  I also had to get him some pirate pacifiers just because they were so cool too.  I am getting out of control.  I am glad there is only one store in town that I know of that has cloth diapers or I would go crazy buying those too everytime I went out.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#6 of 237 Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Tear - Yay for only 1 1/2 more days!!!! 

Birdie - I agree with LivingSky about the Alien thing with the belly moving... I had that exact thought earlier this week when my belly was dancing and jumping all over the place!

LivingSky - That's really cool that you were able to sit down with your MW and explain your concerns and why you were changing.  That was a good way to do things.  I hope the new MW will have better communication skills!  And that's awesome that you're going to be done with work!  Enjoy your time off.

Tank - I can't resist cute clothes for our little one, either... especially if they are on sale!  Good luck with your MW situation.  Hopefully everything will work out. 

Not much going on here... I guess this is the boring part of pregnancy?  Not that I'm complaining!  I have my next check-up on Friday, looking forward to hearing the heartbeat again.  Anyone else having issues picking out a name?  Everyone keeps asking us if we've gotten a name picked out, but we're not even close.  I guess we have until we leave the hospital, so no hurry.

#7 of 237 Old 06-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Ram!  (I missed the switch.  Dur.)

I got to eat my lunch today instead of a bagel and some crackers!  Yeah!!!!    eat.gif   Homemade ginger tea with a little molasses in it.  Tastes like a gingersnap, wards off the nausea.  Taking 1/2 my prenatals in the morning and 1/2 at lunch probably helped, too.  Regardless, that's the plan from here on out. 

Had an email from the first midwife I'm interviewing.  They're really responsive at the birth center, guess they kind of need to be.  Lol.  I hope we like her.  DH is going, hopefully we can hear/see the heartbeat that day.  joy.gif

A therapist (34) married an engineer (37) 10/10.  Expecting our first around the first of March 2012.   Mother to a 7yo dog2.gif, stepmomma to a 10yo awesome and hilarious girl.

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**3rdtri.gif36***40**

#8 of 237 Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Hokie - Glad you're able to keep your nausea under control today!!  I've added you to the original post... anything you want me to add (i.e. how many cycles you tried, etc.)?

#9 of 237 Old 06-22-2011, 12:16 PM

Sure!  3 months of trying, 6 of charting.  Don't know what we're having yet of course, but will find out in September!  thumb.gif

A therapist (34) married an engineer (37) 10/10.  Expecting our first around the first of March 2012.   Mother to a 7yo dog2.gif, stepmomma to a 10yo awesome and hilarious girl.

#10 of 237 Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM

Yay Tear for 1 more day!

Birdie: I'm sure they are very pro-intervention at my practice and I'm desperately trying to get out! Its just a little stitch in my ribcage that hurts when you breathe deep but for less than a minute. I found loads of people online with the same thing and it's most likely a strain in the muscle near the ribs.

Livingsky: Yay for no more work! It is really cool that you could explain your issues with your midwife and move on. I'm trying to switch practices and just feel like I want to disappear without confronting anyone...I'm a wimp. Are you pretty much guaranteed the midwife you choose will be there for the delivery?

Tank: Oh how fun, shopping for your wolverine (which is a really cute nickname by the way)! My b-i-l is a drummer too but he's only had girl and for some strange reason they don't think girls are drummers. I think kiddy drums are some of the best toys, maybe a little annoying sometimes, but so much fun. Our closest baby store is at least 45 minutes away so I think that will keep my shopping in check.

Val: Thanks for adding me! Did you do the baby name genie for names? A friend sent me the link and we went through a ton of the generated names. A lot were pretty bad but we did get a couple that we hadn't really thought of.

So I mentioned on the other thread that the doc wanted me to see a cardiologist for no good reason. Well today they left me a message saying they set up an appointment with one for tomorrow! I called back to say I didn't really want to do that now and the nurse pretty much called me an idiot and implied that I was going to have a heart attack tonight! I've never had a heart problem, they hooked me up to a heart monitor and it was fine. Then she said well you don't understand things change when you're pregnant, no really that hadn't occurred to me. I just hate when they try to badger you into doing things you're not comfortable with. Tomorrow I'm going to a local family doc that sometimes does ob patients and will try to beg them to take me on.

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#11 of 237 Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hokie - Got your info updated on the original post!

Ram - I haven't tried the baby name genie... I'll google that later today and see if I can find it.  I asked DH about names again this morning, and we're still stuck.  As for your doctor issues, I vote for definitely switching if they are going to be so abrasive and intervention happy.  Good luck with everything!  Are you going to keep the appointment with the cardiologist? 

I swear the baby was trying to get out last night.  He was punching, kicking, and doing who knows what else.  He actually made me say "ouch" for the first time last night.  I love that he's getting stronger, though!

#12 of 237 Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 AM

Wow, Ram, that sounds awful.  I hope the GP is willing to take you on so you can enjoy your pregnancy instead of constantly being on the defensive.   angry.gif

Tank we have a few things for the baby already, and I'm not quite 5 weeks along yet.  Lol. 

I've decided that's a great thing about having your first at 34........all your friends are done and getting rid of their stuff!  We have the crib and changing table from my stepdaughter, my brother is giving me their glider rocker, a friend of mine is giving me her cloth diapers, car seat, baby gym, and assorted other goodies, another friend is giving me their bumbo, another gave me her breast pump, and my s-i-l is giving me their high chair.  Awesome!!!!!!  biggrinbounce.gif

I told my dad last night that I'm not going to a hospital to have the baby.  He's thankfully not flipping out..........I can tell he's pondering it and my sister-in-law is going to back me up, so that will help.  She wanted to use a midwife and have a natural birth, but my nephew was breech and wouldn't turn so she wasn't "allowed".  Ugh.  My brother and her doctor talked her out of a VBAC with their second.  She started out wanting to go natural, though, and is very supportive of me doing it my way, and I'm very happy to have her help with the fam.  thumb.gif

Oh, and my stepdaughter declared the baby to be a boy this morning.  She said she just has a feeling. 

#13 of 237 Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 AM

#14 of 237 Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Birdie I use fresh ginger grated with a microplane, super easy, I just grate it straight into the mug.  I add a teaspoon of molasses and pour boiling water over it, let it steep for 5-10m and strain it.  Yummy yummy.  Settled my tummy right down this morning! 

#15 of 237 Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 PM

#16 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 AM

So here's a new thing I learned yesterday!  Sex, specifically an orgasm, hurts like hell when you're pregnant!  I had no idea.  Everything I read says sex is safe.....doesn't say you have to breathe through the pain as though you're in labor.  Is this a first trimester thing or just a me thing??    confused.gif

#17 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 08:52 AM

hokievol: I think that is different for each woman. Orgasms for me in the first and second trimester were pretty mind blowing and didnt hurt at all. Come third trimester they've backed off a bit (unfortunately!). A good friend of mine told me that the change in orgasms was actually her first pregnancy sign in each of her pregnancies. As she got later in her pregnancy she said she would actually have orgasms in her sleep quite frequently. Too bad we aren't all so lucky!!

Sex in and of itself should not hurt while you're pregnant, unless maybe you were far enough along that baby was big enough to make certain positions uncomfortable (or impossible!). If that continues to be the case for you, I would be calling my health care provider ASAP. A little bit of cramping wouldn't be unusual, but I don't think it should be so severe that you have to breathe through it.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

#18 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 AM

Yeah, I'm going to lay off for a while and talk to my midwife just to be on the safe side.  I didn't have any bleeding, so that's good, but it just didn't seem normal to me. 

#19 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Hokie - I would definitely check with your practitioner.  I haven't had any painful experiences related to sex - quite the opposite actually.  Good luck getting that worked out! 

Anyone have any suggestions for non-meat iron sources (or good recipes)?  Had a check up today, and I am indeed anemic, as suspected.  I've gotten a supplement, but would love to be able to get more iron from my diet and ditch the pills.

#20 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 02:07 PM

ValH: Cook with a cast iron pan? That's probably the easiest way to increase your iron intake without having to change your eating habits at all. I took iron supplements for a while and did not like how I felt on them, so I completely understand not wanting to take them!

#21 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 02:10 PM

#22 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Val, eat spinach and broccoli - chock full of iron! Sorry to hear you're anemic, but hopefully you'll start to feel better.

hokie, I remember having that problem with my last pregnancy, and it was because my ligaments were already stretching and the orgasm pulled them even farther. I think it's totally normal, though it totally freaked me out, too. I don't know if it happened again this time since I wasn't allowed to have orgasms. I would still check in with your midwife to make sure, but I really don't think it's anything to stress about.

afm - last day of school, hello summer! yahoooooo! joy.gifsleepytime.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#23 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 02:58 PM

#24 of 237 Old 06-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Val:  Pumpkin seeds in the shell are supposed to be high iron.  And if you cook in cast iron, you get the most iron if it's something acidic, like tomato sauce.  Other than that, what everyone else said!

Hokie:  I think that's a variation of normal, I've heard of it happening to quite a few people, and they were fine.  Still talk to your MW about it, for sure, but don't get worked up, it's probably fine.

Birdie:  I was also SO excited when I could first feel Baby moving.  That's my nickname for the baby.  Baby.  Unique, no?  Anyway, it's happening more and more, and I really like it.

LivingSky:  Yay for being done with work!

Tear:  Yay for being done with school!

Ramzubo:  I'm so happy you're here.  It makes me smile.

AFM:  I kept meaning to post in the last thread and just never quite got there.  I even started posts a few times and then got distracted.  Anyway, things are coming along pretty well.  Everything looked good at my 21-week ultrasound.  Baby is a little bit stubborn and would not uncross her/his legs, so I still don't get to use a pronoun.  Oh well, now I'm looking forward to the surprise at the birth.  I tried to make a deal with Baby: "You can be stubborn in utero, and you can be stubborn after birth, but please don't be stubborn during birth."  I hope it works.  I was a baby who wouldn't put my head down (I wanted to "see where I was going") and thus wouldn't come out.  For 30 hours.  My sister had a short labor, really.  3 hours from the start of labor to transition.  Then 3 hours in transition.  Also because of a stubborn baby who wouldn't (or couldn't) turn her head the right way.  (She did eventually, though).  So I'm hoping that my baby will hold off on the stubborn-ness for long enough to get born without surgery!

Also, we had a hail storm that totally wiped out our garden.  I posted about it in the gardening forum here.  I put up even more pictures in my web albums, here.  I am really, really grateful that I'm pregnant this summer.  If that had happened last summer, I think I would have lost it.  This year I have a bigger goal (grow a happy healthy baby!), so it didn't hit me quite as hard.  Still, a bit of a blow.

Anyway, I did read along the previous thread, I just didn't post much.  It's always nice to hear how everyone is doing.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#25 of 237 Old 06-25-2011, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips on the iron, ladies!  After discussing it with DH last night, we've decided not to take the supplements for now.  We're aiming to change my diet enough before my next appointment (in two and a half weeks) to get it better.  DH has even agreed to cook me some spinach lasagna and broccoli soup next week.  I'm all for anything that'll get him cooking, because he's really good at it, and it's less that I have to do. 

LivingSky - I hope you are enjoying no work! 

Birdie - I thought I was doing pretty good with my diet.  I eat oatmeal, brown rice, wheat bread, a lot of beans, etc.  I'm just going to eat more of it, find some snacks that have extra iron, and drink juices or eat fruit with my meals (I'm in love with homemade mango juice lately, so that's not much a sacrafice).  I'll see if I can find that book you recommended around here.  I have a ton of vegetarian cookbooks in the cabinets, I need to pull them out to see what they have in them, too.  As for the "little prarie" comment, I'm sorry to hear that people have such little class.  People need to respect your decisions and keep their opinions to themsevles.  I've been getting a lot of comments about my desire for a natural childbirth lately... actually only one person I've talked to has been supportive of it.  Now I don't bring it up anymore, and only discuss it if directly asked.  It's easier that way.  Anyway, do what feels right to you and ignore everyone else! 

Tear - Enjoy your summer!! 

Hykue - That stinks about your garden!  I don't have much of a green thumb, but is it too late to replant some stuff?  At least you have growing a baby to keep you occupied and distracted from the garden.  And good luck with baby not being stubborn durnig childbirth!  My fingers are crossed that ALL of our little ones cooperate with birth.  Yesterday was the first day my little munchkin was stubborn, with the hiding from and kicking the doppler; he also kicked a glass that I was resting on my belly while I was sitting on the couch.  Not sure why he was being so stubborn and territorial yesterday, but it made me laugh. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

#26 of 237 Old 06-27-2011, 05:00 AM

#27 of 237 Old 06-27-2011, 06:25 AM

You guys were right, the midwife said it was normal, just maybe on the more painful end of normal.  She likened it to Braxton-Hicks.......strengthening my uterus.  *phew*  I was worried about that. 

Scheduled my first prenatal appointment for 8/8, I'll be 10 weeks so we should be able to hear the heartbeat that day.  It seems really really really far away!!!

I went maternity clothes shopping this weekend.  Premature, I know, but everything I will need is on sale now since I'll be biggest in the winter.  I found some GREAT deals.  I was also really excited to be encouraged to pad my belly.  When else in this culture is it cool to have a big ol' belly???  How liberating! 

#28 of 237 Old 06-27-2011, 07:04 AM

hokievol I remember feeling the same way about my first midwife appointment.  It seemed so far away.  But once I started going to them I felt like I had nothing to talk about after that big one where I heard the heartbeat.  I have one coming up on the 5th and I know it is going to be another quick boring one because nothing new has come up that I already haven't found answers for.  I am glad my DP gets to cdome with me again and meet this midwife. He met the 1st one but I don't like her as much and I was a little dissapointed that he met her first.  I feel like a jerk saying that.  Really there isn't much I can really say is wrong with her.  I just don't click with her as much.  I have a hard time socially anyway when I first meet people.  Once I am comfortable with them I can open up fully but most people who meet me the 1st and 2nd time think I don't like them so I  am kind of self concious about that.

Anyway it's my day off today and I already dropped DP off at work and went to my chiro and now I have nothing important to do.  It feels so good to have nothing to do.  I haven't had that in a while so I am just going to relax and play on the internet all day, yay!  Oh yah and the all important watch crappy tv all day.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

#29 of 237 Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 AM

Tank I would think it would be pretty crucial to click with your midwife, particularly if you lean towards the shy side.  I hope the hubs and I click well with mine.  We have three others to choose from if we don't, so that's good.  I haven't given birth, but from everything I read it's pretty important to be able to relax around the people who are with you, so go with your gut if you have the option! 

I ordered "A Child Is Born" by Lennart Nelsson for my stepdaughter and "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" for me, they're coming from Amazon today.  I'm so excited to get them!!!  Any recommendations for book for my DH about natural birth?  My stepdaughter was a classic cascade of interventions baby, so he doesn't have experience with the natural way.

#30 of 237 Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 AM

hokievol: I absolutely adored Ina May's Guide To Childbirth. I originally bought the Bradley Method book for DH to read (I think it's called Husband Coached Childbirth) and he hated it and trying to get him to read it was like pulling teeth. I finally gave him Ina May's book and he is enjoying that one way more and is actually reading it. I'm doing HypnoBabies as well and he's reading the workbooks for that too.

Funny thing for me was, I realized a few weeks back that I was reading all these books on childbirth but that I really knew NOTHING about what to do with the baby once he is actually here! So I asked for some recommendations and was sent after "The Baby Book" by Dr Sears. I found it and am reading that now and loving it. It has tons of sections in it just for DH as well.

tank: Well, you know my vote on how important it is to like your midwife! lol.gif Glad your DP has a chance to meet the midwife you really click with.

Hykue: Very sorry about your garden greensad.gif So far mine is doing well except for the fact that I just can't manage to get on my hands and knees and weed the stupid thing. Have to convince DH to tackle it soon or else all the good plants are going to be overrun. That or maybe they'll be tall enough soon that I can weed the garden from a standing position redface.gif

AFM: Nothing new here really. Hoping to hear from our new midwife today so we can set up some appointments.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page