Would you go with this Bradley class? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-22-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does the instrutor really matter that much? I am due in Septemer (end of Sept) but thought Bradley classes might be a good idea. I looked up the Bradley website and only founf one provider whose start date is within the time period where I would be done by September. But, the Bradley website said there should be 12 classes and she only does 8. Plus, she did not sound enthused and sort of did not seem comfy with the fact that I am doing a vbac after 4 csects. Later, she expressed that she had wanted me to talk to my doctor first. Never in all this has she sounded friendly or such. She just seems like, she does not come off like she is happy or excited about what she is doing. And she had never heard of ICAN. Not that everyone has to have heard of it. But, overall, I just wondered if in the end, we are going to spend the entire class with this less than enthused teacher who is just there to put in her 8 classes and be done. That is how she comes off. Of course, I have not been in her classes yet, but personality wise, that is how she seems.

Do you think this matters? Should I just go for the class anyway? Or look for something different?

#2 of 7 Old 06-22-2011, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

She sounds like... not a good fit. Never even *heard* of ICAN? I know not everyone has, but I'd think a childbirth educator SHOULD. And her lack of enthusiasm and support sounds like the classes will be a less than pleasant experience. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 7 Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 PM

I wouldn't worry so much about doing it in 8 classes instead of 12 (many instructors condense the material like that and just have longer classes), especially since there isn't a lot of time between now and September. But if even talking to her on the phone is getting you down then I wouldn't imagine taking a class with her would be pleasant. I'd see what else I could dig up. Is there anything in a nearby town? You might try emailing other instructors, too, in case they are offering something that isn't listed on the website. You never know, there might be somebody who's gotten 3 inquiries already about having a class during this time frame and so decides to go ahead and do one, or something like that. I emailed several Bradley instructors and the one I ended up with was one who wasn't originally giving a class at the right time for me, but then emailed me later to say she was offering one after all. So these things can be fluid.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#4 of 7 Old 06-23-2011, 06:04 AM

To me, it seems much more about the teacher than the *type* of CBE class.   Bradley is only good if the teacher is good!   You could look for other independent CBE teachers, unaffiliated with a brand, or of another brand like Brio birth, Hypnobirth, etc.   Maybe even someone who will do some private sessions for you if she isn't running regular classes.

I'll be harsh and say a CBE teacher who hasn't heard of ICAN doesn't sound like a professional that I'd fork over $300+ to.   Ridiculous!   And your CBE teacher shouldn't really give her opinion on where you birth or how you birth unless and until you ask for it.    So, go find someone who's going to give it her all.    

#5 of 7 Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

When I called Bradley yesterday, they said that the teachers are supposed to do 12 classes and if they don't, they are supposed to get an exception for it. Her classes are not even longer than normal so not like she is making up the extra time by having longer classes or such. When I mentioned the Bradley Syllabus, she did not even know there was one. She had no clue what I was referring to when I asked her if she was still going to cover everything that was on the Bradley site for the 12 week course. Bradley said she is supposed to do 12 classes and there is a workbook that goes along with it and all. So I decided to just say no to her class and move on and look for something else.

#6 of 7 Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Bradley is very strict about their rules, but I've found that individual teachers are not. There is a lot of controversy within the method right now, and some of the teachers are splitting off to form a more modern approach to the method--however, they can't use Bradley materials or call it Bradley. FWIW.

Rosemary, married  mama to Pascal 3/08 and expecting #2 on Halloween.
#7 of 7 Old 06-29-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

When I called Bradley yesterday, they said that the teachers are supposed to do 12 classes and if they don't, they are supposed to get an exception for it. Her classes are not even longer than normal so not like she is making up the extra time by having longer classes or such. When I mentioned the Bradley Syllabus, she did not even know there was one. She had no clue what I was referring to when I asked her if she was still going to cover everything that was on the Bradley site for the 12 week course. Bradley said she is supposed to do 12 classes and there is a workbook that goes along with it and all. So I decided to just say no to her class and move on and look for something else.

I am taking a Bradley Class and I really appreciate the structure.  My teacher does teach with some caveats, as some of the language is out-of-date (saying "Husband" instead of "Partner" for instance).  But not knowing there is a Bradley syllabus?  You have to go through intense training to be a certified Bradley instructor, so that's really, really weird.  I'd head the other direction! 

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page