heartburn relief? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone recommend some natural remedies for heartburn, or some strategies for dealing with it, or foods to eat/avoid to minimize it?  I'm at 22 weeks and the heartburn is unrelenting.  It's like torture!  Any help appreciated.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 AM

There are lots of suggestions if you google, though I never found the magic key that worked. I know I've read to drink between meals and not with meals. Papaya enzymes maybe help? Dairy products helped me some, but only as long as I was actively consuming them. I also had to change my diet A LOT to remove the worst foods: tomatoes killed me, as did coffee, chocolate, etc.

I'm sorry you feel lousy... I remember that feeling all too well, and it stinks!!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Sorry you're suffering!  Some ideas: yogurt before bed; sleeping semi-upright; TUMS; aloe vera juice; digestive enzymes; avoiding triggers like spicy, gassy, and acidic foods (coffee, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, broccoli, beans, etc), not drinking with your meals (but definitely between them), and waiting until the baby drops (that sucks, I know).  

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Totally not natural but during both of my pregnancies I popped tums and rolaids every day. 

caffix.gif

Old 06-23-2011, 11:09 AM

Earlier in pregnancy (I'm 33wks now) I was having a lot of success with a shot of apple cider vinegar diluted in some water.  Now, I finally had to break down and use Zantac (at my OB's recommendation).  Since using the Zantac, I have had COMPLETE relief from heartburn.  It's heavenly.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
Old 06-23-2011, 12:11 PM

I had to break down and do a week of Prilosec. My heartburn was so bad that I couldn't eat or drink hardly anything and that wasn't good for the baby either.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 06-24-2011, 05:34 PM

I just want to add that you should be careful about tums.  I popped a ton of them with my last pregnancy and ended up with kidney stones from too much calcium!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:45 PM

A little baking soda in a glass of water.  Tastes horrible but nutrilizes the acid.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 PM

This sounds completely counterintuitive, but I swear by apple cider vinegar (about 1-2 Tbsp) in a cup of water. With my last pregnancy I was taking 2 Pepcid per day but I usually do the ACV about once every 3 days and I feel great! It seems to work in about 20 mins. I don't know how it works but it has sure helped me and I would rather drink vinegar water than take all those medications I was taking before. Good luck mama!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Papaya enzymes for sure! I'm 34 weeks right now and heartburn is a frequent companion of mine and I can eat the enzymes as needed without worrying about too much calcium or aluminum. They aid digestion too whereas antacids stop the entire process.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:14 AM

I found that specifically the Papaya Enzymes Plus "After Meal Supplement" by American Health was more helpful than just regular papaya enzymes were for me.  If you can find those, I recommend them.  And I don't feel bad popping them like Tums.  But if I really need it, I have used Tums.  Also, a slurp of almond milk has been helpful too.  I'm not sure why that works, but it has been helpful for me before bed.  Also, not eating during the 2-3 hours before bed helps too, and sleeping with 3 or 4 pillows to elevate helps.  Good luck!!!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)

User Tag List