Prenatal yoga - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone here doing prenatal yoga? I am looking to start a program for this pregnancy but have no idea where to start, which ones are reliable, etc.

If you do this, do you go the dvd route or have you joined a club where you meet at? Will probably post this in Find Your Tribe too!

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Yep, I go to a local prenatal yoga class once a week and it always makes me feel great!

I've also done Shiva Rea's prenatal yoga DVD and it's good, but not the same as having an instructor in person, so if you have the option of a local class I'd do that!

Either way you can't go wrong with yoga for strength, flexibility, relaxation and a positive attitude.
#3 of 8 Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 PM

I have been going to a local yoga studio for prenatal classes for the last few months. My instructor is also a doula (also my doula) and because of her background we get a lot out of the class beyond just a good workout. I would definitely recommend doing research in your area and see if you can find someone who has some kind of background in prenatal beyond just yoga instruction.

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#4 of 8 Old 06-27-2011, 10:28 AM

I have been using Sara Holiday's DVD's - I think the website is Fit By Sara.  There is one for each trimester and so far I love the first trimester dvd. 

I also bought the Shiva Rea one and Elena Brower's DVD last week.  I did a lot of research and those were pretty highly recommended but I haven't tried either yet. 

(I'm hoping to start going to a class but so far everything I've found is in the evening-- not a good time for me or my family.)

Hope one of these recommendations are useful!

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#5 of 8 Old 06-27-2011, 01:53 PM

I'm doing the South Beach Prenantal Yoga dvd at home and have really liked it. Not to hard or too easy.

I'm planning on going to some local classes a little later on. When I'm bigger I think it might be a good idea to have an instructor keep an eye on my form, dh is only so helpfulwinky.gif

-Us partners.gif, Himbabyf.gifnocirc.gif and her dog2.gif 

#6 of 8 Old 06-27-2011, 05:40 PM

Classes with a good teacher are so much better than DVDs!   I'm a full-time prenatal yoga teacher:   www.fivepointsyoga.com

I have a prenatal podcast you can buy on my website, fyi, and some of the previous DVDs mentioned are good, but if you can find a class to go to, it's so much better :)   Good luck.

#7 of 8 Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I feel like such a ninny right now. Thank you all for the suggestions! I am definitely interested in prenatal yoga! HOWEVER, what I meant to type was "Prenatal Pilates". I don't know if my brain is frying from pregnancy or if I was exhausted when I started this thread but I was hoping to get suggestions on pilates. I was reading this thread going "Why are people giving me yoga suggestions?"

lol.gif

Keep the suggestions coming about yoga though!! I am interested in both. But moreso pilates...If anyone has any program suggestions for that too, it'd be most appreciated!! Geez la weez...I'm hopeless

thumb.gif

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#8 of 8 Old 07-01-2011, 11:09 PM

I see you are in Oregon.  If you are in Portland, you could try Mamalates. www.mamalates.com.  I have not personally been to a class, but have heard of the instructor before and have heard good things.  Also, the prenatal yoga class at Zenana Spa is fantastic.  Might want to try that too, in addition to the pilates!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page