Acupunture Before Birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-27-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I went to an acupuncturist a for a little dizzy situation I had a few weeks ago and everything turned out great.  He did suggest going back once a week for the last 4 weeks to help prepare for the birth.  We are having a home waterbirth and doing hypnobabies so this type of this is right our alley.  However I would rather not spend the out of pocket expence if its not really worth it.  What do you think?

#2 of 3 Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

If you're concerned about issues during the birth, particularly malpositioning, then I would recommend returning.  But if baby is in a good position and you're feeling great why mess with it and spend the money?  I was going twice a week for nausea and I reached a point where I felt good.  I kept going back thinking it was maintaining where I was, but I started to feel worse and worse.  The practitioner was confused and said it shouldn't make things worse, but it did.  Once I stopped going I got back to a better place and maintained with no more sessions.  I really think you reach a balance and messing with it can change things in either direction.  But that's just my experience I know others that LOVE acupuncture.  I do not and will only go if I see an obvious benefit to outweigh the discomfort.  Apparently I am "chi sensitive."  LOL!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 3 Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 PM

I am currently seeing an acupuncturist.  I'm in my 39th week.  Last pregnancy, I went to 42 weeks, labored for 3 days and ended up with a c-section.  I now suspect that the baby was posterior, or otherwise malpositioned, which was why she didn't come out as she had plenty of opportunity during my 3 day stay at a birth center.  So my midwife recommended I start seeing the acupuncturist a little earlier than I did last time.  So far I've been 3 times, and I feel like he's definitely dropped down a bit, although I haven't felt any other changes.  I've asked the acupuncturist to help me with the "overdue" situation as I think that will definitely help my state of mind if I don't have to be pregnant all the way to 42 weeks again.  I guess I will know soon enough if it is helping or not.  This baby seems to be positioned differently than my daughter was, so hopefully that will help too.  Just thought I'd add my experience for the OP or anyone else considering acupuncture.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page