July 2011 Whatever Ladies Graduates - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Carrie: Glad the pics turned out so well! - Penney's usually does a pretty good job. We scored similiarly at Target right after DS was born when we needed a carseat for DH's car, and the babytrend infant seat was on clearance for like $50. Great carseat and great price! have to watch that clearance endcap. Never know what you might find (we had gone in this time for laundry stuff!)

Thanks for the compliments on the pic! I am trying to better this pregnancy to document the bump.

Kindermama: fx it is a boy! I was so not sure with this one, but glad to know that she is a she!

I haven't heard anything, I am hoping that's good news, but I'll call tomorrow to see if there is anythng for sure.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ So glad you love the pics. They are so worth it.

Kindermama ~ Haha! You've got to keep up. If you are in the 2nd trimester and feeling really run down, you might have anemia. Have you had your iron levels checked? That was my problem and almost immediately after starting the Floradix I had so much more energy.

I took my first 3 placenta capsules today. They are supposed to help with pain so, hopefully, my after pains will lessen. Also, within minutes my milk came in full force. The placenta lady that happens. Do you suppose it could really be related? I mean, I'm on day 4 of nursing so it's the right time, anyway.

Katrina ~ I always look at those breast rings but have never tried them. Is that what you are talking about? Do they help with nipple pain? It's just in my nipples, not the rest of my breasts. I wonder if Target would carry something like that. Oh, I just read the other day that select Targets are now carrying EMAB products so check your stores.

Yes, Carrie, the pain only lasts a few seconds when he first latches on but, man, it hurts! My left nipple is now cracked. greensad.gif Why do the books say it doesn't hurt? It hurts for me every time in the beginning.

I've got D's birth story written up. I was going to post in in the Homebirth forum but now I'm not so sure. I didn't sugar coat anything and I don't want to. It was painful and difficult for me but I'd do it all again. I don't want to scare anyone. Maybe I should post it with a warning. What do you all think?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Yes, Carrie, the pain only lasts a few seconds when he first latches on but, man, it hurts! My left nipple is now cracked. greensad.gif Why do the books say it doesn't hurt? It hurts for me every time in the beginning.

I've got D's birth story written up. I was going to post in in the Homebirth forum but now I'm not so sure. I didn't sugar coat anything and I don't want to. It was painful and difficult for me but I'd do it all again. I don't want to scare anyone. Maybe I should post it with a warning. What do you all think?

Because they lie!!  It sure does hurt.  Hang in there.  From what I remember with DD, it took like a good 6-7 days of nursing before it wasn't toe-curling.   I remember being on day 8 and finally feeling like we were getting it and I wasn't crying at every latch - and that was when we had to switch her to soy formula for the galactosemia.  So, couple more days.  You can do it!  Try different holds, too.  Sometimes a better hold (football for example) can help it hurt a bit less.  But it's still going to be a little much.  And cracked is no good -- let it air dry as much as you can!!

I would just post it.  The HB forum is as broad spectrum as you can get!  I'd say put a warning if you post in your DDC, but i think the HB forum is no holds barred.  I want to read it so be sure to put a link here!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Kindermama ~ Haha! You've got to keep up. If you are in the 2nd trimester and feeling really run down, you might have anemia. Have you had your iron levels checked? That was my problem and almost immediately after starting the Floradix I had so much more energy.

I know I do have anemia...I found out at my last appt. I have anemia even when I'm not pregnant. I started Floradix about 2+ weeks ago. I guess I feel more energy on some days but then I use it all up and feeling exhausted for a day or two afterwards. I'll be sure not to miss a dose of that stuff...I forget here and there. 

Nipple pain---I agree! They lie but it's a good thing they do because no one would ever try it if they didn't. I swear the post-partum period is more painful than the actual birth. WTF! Nature has it all wrong sometimes..that and morning sickness....we shouldn't feel sick when we're pregnant. 

Carrie- okay that makes me feel better because not that long ago, I stalked the August board and saw a belly pic of you...and you looked awesome! It's just a number...it's just a number! Wah!  Glad you're happy with your pictures---can't wait to see them!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

I know I do have anemia...I found out at my last appt. I have anemia even when I'm not pregnant. I started Floradix about 2+ weeks ago. I guess I feel more energy on some days but then I use it all up and feeling exhausted for a day or two afterwards. I'll be sure not to miss a dose of that stuff...I forget here and there.

Maybe you need a higher dose? I took 10 ml twice a day.

PP is much, much easier than labor and birth for me. That's one thing I keep telling myself. These afterpains are nothing like my labor contractions.

Carrie ~ I remember it taking about a week for my nipples to stop killing me, too. I think the same thing. The books have to lie or no one would try it. It's sad, though. I tell people, yeah, it hurts at first but it's worth it.

I haven't worn a bra since Sunday, just a t-shirt.

D sleeps too much. lol.gif I want him to wake up and play. He doesn't like the lanolin, either.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:51 AM

MW: this is what I'm talking about - it's just for your nipples: http://www.lansinoh.com/products/soothies-by-lansinoh-gel-pads though I think companies other than lanisoh make something similiar.  It helped alot for for me those first few days.

I agree, sometimes they lie! or maybe just have completely different experiences. I never did get the whole orgasmic birth thing (but I don't want to doubt another mama's experience either!)

nothing much going on here, just surviving this heat. ugh.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 07-29-2011, 07:00 AM

MW: Sorry I didn't get to the nipple pain question yesterday!  Normal: nipple pain w/no damage & pain that resolves either within 30 seconds or with let-down.  Needs attention: intense, toe-curling pain, pain that lasts through a feeding, pain or burning between feedings, continuing pain after a day or two of consistently trying to correct the cause (ie, poor latch).  For the cracked side, see here for suggestions.  Hydrogel pads or lanolin are both good options; also, some research suggests that if mothers with nipple trauma use tap or saline water to rinse their nipples after every feeding it may help prevent bacteria from colonizing the wound.  Mupirocin ointment (which doesn't have to be removed before feeding) has also been recommended.

My other friend w/our mws had her baby!  joy.gifA successful HBAC!!!  I got to visit them hours after the birth...so so special!  I can't wait for my baby!  love.gif

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 07-29-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Katrina. I don't need relief in between nursings, though. It only hurts initially when he nurses.

Shannon ~ From what you describe, my pain is not normal. It is the toe-curling kind and I'm already on day 5 and it still hurts, although I think it's getting better. (I hope I didn't jinx myself because I said that 2 days ago and then it got worse again.) I've checked his latch and I think it's good but maybe I'm missing something. His mouth is pretty tiny and my nipple seems very large. I do my best to hold him high, using my Boppy, straight stomach to stomach with his arm under/behind mine or we're laying sideways on the bed but, again, I do my best to make sure he is laying straight tummy to tummy with me. I've had this same problem every time so I really don't know. I'm developing sore, raw spots right on the tips of my nipples.

Congrats to your friend! joy.gif They're coming early...winky.gif (now I've probably just set you up to go until the end of August lol.gif)

Old 07-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Ah.

I passed my 3 hr test! yay! now I can eat carbs to my heart's content :)

Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Ah.

I passed my 3 hr test! yay! now I can eat carbs to my heart's content :)

joy.gif

My mom is so funny. I've been telling her for years that she doesn't hear well but she would never admit. Well, she's finally admitted it but still pretends like she hears fine. Whenever she doesn't hear or understand what someone else says she just pretends like she does. I can tell by the look on her face that she has no idea what anyone is saying, though. It's kind of funny except that it upsets my boys. They get frustrated that she doesn't really listen to them or make an effort to figure out what they are saying. She just goes on doing what she's doing or having a totally irrelevant conversation with them, which they don't understand. She does that to me, too, but I know what she's doing. They think she's just ignoring them. Hmm...maybe she's always been like that even though she could hear. I remember feeling like she never really listened to me when I was a child. She's in her own head so much that she can't be bothered with finding out what's really going on with anyone else. Anyway, it's starting to annoy me because it upsets the boys so much. I don't get why she won't just say she didn't hear or didn't understand and ask the person to repeat himself. eyesroll.gif

Old 07-29-2011, 01:52 PM

yay, Katrina!  

MW: so the pain is only while nursing?  how long does it last?  Are your nipples misshapen after nursing? laid back breastfeeding/biological nurturing may help:  http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html but let me know about the other things & that can help narrow it down.

So he was 6 days early?  My friend's was 5 days early.  So if I keep up the trend then it'll be sometime early/mid next week!  smile.gif I was starting to wonder last night, though, when I got up for the 3rd time with contractions, nausea, and moving bowels.  

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post

MW: so the pain is only while nursing?  how long does it last?  Are your nipples misshapen after nursing? laid back breastfeeding/biological nurturing may help:  http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html but let me know about the other things & that can help narrow it down.

They are slightly tender to the touch all the time but it only really hurts bad when he first latches on. The extreme pain only lasts a few seconds but it does continue to hurt a little the whole time he's nursing. I know I'm getting a let down because the breast he's not nursing from atm has leaked a couple of times. I don't feel the let-down like I did with E or K, though. With E, especially, the let-down really hurt. The pain does not go away completely with my let-down. My nipples look normal after nursing except that now I'm getting raw spots right on the tips of each.
Quote:

So he was 6 days early?  My friend's was 5 days early.  So if I keep up the trend then it'll be sometime early/mid next week!  smile.gif I was starting to wonder last night, though, when I got up for the 3rd time with contractions, nausea, and moving bowels.  

He was born 5 days early but I went into labor 6 days early. My 40w edb based on ovulation was tomorrow. Is your mom here yet? Better make sure you've got everything you need jic. winky.gif

I don't think I mentioned that I went into labor on my lmp 40w edb. So, was I 40w or only 39? What do you all think?

I just ordered a bunch of nursing tops. I could only find 2 of mine and don't feel like searching for more.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:

They are slightly tender to the touch all the time but it only really hurts bad when he first latches on. The extreme pain only lasts a few seconds but it does continue to hurt a little the whole time he's nursing. I know I'm getting a let down because the breast he's not nursing from atm has leaked a couple of times. I don't feel the let-down like I did with E or K, though. With E, especially, the let-down really hurt. The pain does not go away completely with my let-down. My nipples look normal after nursing except that now I'm getting raw spots right on the tips of each.

This sounds kind of normal for the first week, to me. I remember it just being very raw and sore unti my nips toughened up. Are the raw spots wearing raw/cracking/bleeding or getting scabby? Hmm. You could try a shield if it's unbearable, but I say if you're sure the latch is deep enough then in a day or so more, there should be a huge difference in the pain once your nips toughen up. Makes me really wish Nora hadn't weaned!! LOL! I'm SO not looking fwd the the sore nips - though, I will take them b/c I am really happy I get to bf this babe!

AFM - just tons of ctx and pressure here, nobody thinks I'll make it another 18 days with how low the baby is looking and how many ctx I'm having. Body still working hard at cleaning itself out, too. We shall see! I'm hoping for sometime in the next week, hopefully after Wed when DH has his last meeting in NYC.

I dropped Nora off at Grandmas today and went and got my hair cut.  Hung out at the spa with my girls for a bit, and then went to BRU today hoping to find the lifts/feet things for the cosleeper but it was a total fail.  They didn't have them.  So I shopped a bit and picked up breast shells, a nipple shield, nursing pads, a bottle drying rack, and ...I think that's it.  But threw a few more things on my "registry" so I can purchase them with the completion coupon later on.  Also stopped at the liquor store and got champagne for after the babys born!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 PM

MW- ugh! I remember getting tiny blisters early on. In my last pregnancy, I nursed DD2 until I was 4 months along and I STILL had pain when DD3 was born. I thought for sure they'd be all good to go but nope, in 5 months time they were back to normal I guess! I wish I could experience nursing without pain in those first couple of weeks. I can almost feel it in my body now...it hurts! Hope your nip pain passes quickly! 

Carrie--oh you sound so ready! I'm so jealous you'll all be holding your babies WAY before me. Make sure to post lots of pics! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 07-30-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

i finally got around to updating the first post and noticed we've been alternating bay and girl births.

carrie ~ that means you'll have to wait until after shannon. otherwise, you'll mess up the pattern. pinktongue.gif

jj ~ that also means you must be having a girl. stork-girl.gif

Old 07-30-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a link to D's birth story. It's long so be prepared for that.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1323696/whew-i-did-it-ds-4-s-birth-story-long#post_16580023

Old 07-30-2011, 11:24 AM

LOL. I'm starting to think girl, simply because of the ultrasound, and you guys are right, I think boys would 'show' more easily. I'm ok with that. It means I get to use all my girly dresses and rompers. 

We have a super cute outfit I told DH was already reserved for christmas if it's a girl. The tag is marked 3-6m (I think the store thought it was a shirt, not a dress, hence the 12m tag). But I figure since it's a dress, it can be a bit long, and that will accommodate the big fluffy cloth bum. It's a nice thick fleece : 

107_9964.JPG

We've got tons of other cute newborn clothes, but nothing "christmasy". 

Kinder-- I know how you feel! It seems like forever away. DH and I are hopefully ordering our crib and going to pick it up mid-august, but since we're currently filling the baby's room with all the storage stuff from our basement (renos, joy), it will probably be October before we get around to actually setting it up. That makes me sad. 

Been throwing around more names. On DH's list right now are Savannah, Kennedy, Harper, Addison, and he wants Grace as a middle name. Oh, and he thinks Adlee should cross over to a girls name too. I'm not a fan of Savannah, and I prefer Kennedy as a middle name, but I like the rest. But my favorite is still Addelyn, and he won't budge on that one. I like Harper (Elizabeth/Adlee/Grace), and I have a feeling we'll probably go with something like that. Boys names we're still stuck. The only one we agree on is Ryan Adlee, but neither of us feels set on it, and DH now thinks Adlee may work better for a girl. Sigh. lol. I wish we knw the sex so we could at least rule out one name to pick!

On that note... I think I'm going to to call the ultrasound place. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 07-30-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Been throwing around more names. On DH's list right now are Savannah, Kennedy, Harper, Addison, and he wants Grace as a middle name. Oh, and he thinks Adlee should cross over to a girls name too. I'm not a fan of Savannah, and I prefer Kennedy as a middle name, but I like the rest. But my favorite is still Addelyn, and he won't budge on that one. I like Harper (Elizabeth/Adlee/Grace), and I have a feeling we'll probably go with something like that. Boys names we're still stuck. The only one we agree on is Ryan Adlee, but neither of us feels set on it, and DH now thinks Adlee may work better for a girl. Sigh. lol. I wish we knw the sex so we could at least rule out one name to pick!

On that note... I think I'm going to to call the ultrasound place. 

My fave is Savannah. Savannah Leigh was the name I considered changing our girl name to after we moved away from Hawaii. It sounds very southern to me and my dad's family is from Savannah, Georgia so it seemed to fit. DH didn't like it, of course. eyesroll.gif

I do like all of your pics, though. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Did I tell you all D sleeps too much? He sleeps all afternoon and I get so bored stuck up here in my room. I can go downstairs but still only once up and once down. I've got all my stuff upstairs now and it's too much of a pain to move it up and down every day. I went downstairs for dinner last night to spend some time with everyone else and they all promptly went outside to play. lol.gif I'm actually getting stir crazy so you know it must be bad.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 AM

MW - I really enjoyed reading Dylan's birth story.  I think there is something so honest and raw about it, and I for one appreciate that.  I'm glad you took the time to write it up.  Congrats again on a successful HB!!

AFM - I'm just...idk.  I'm in a weird place.  I feel very much like I want to be alone, in my own space, not talk to anyone.  Like being a hermit is the most wonderful thing there could be.  DH keeps taking Nora out and I just sit home, sometimes nesting, most of the time doing nothing, but I just want to be by myself.  I'm feeling a little aggravated by prodromal labor, it keeps me up at night and I'm tired all day.  I wish I could get back outside and walk, but I'm so damn tired.  And honestly, the walks wipe me out so much!!!  I wish I had just a *little bit* more energy to get through the day.  DH wants us all to go to my IL's today to go swimming, but I really don't feel like it. I know I should probably push myself to go, but man.  I dn't want to be around people. I just want to lay on the couch and eat.

OMG -- I forgot to tell you guys about this.  My MIL blind sided me the other day with the circ thing.  Out of nowhere she asked how we would get it done since we are having the baby at home.   I looked at her and said, we aren't.  Silence.  Well, of course the conversation went as you could imagine, she definitely doesn't agree with our choice, but she of course has absolutely no say in the matter.  Her only "real concern" was about locker room teasing, to which I replied, "Well thats just not a good enough reason for me to mutilate my son's penis."  I felt completely unprepared and a little attacked, and made it clear to her that it was not up for discussion.  She was hesitant but thankfully let the subject drop.  As DH said to me when I told him what happened, she already got to express her opinion 3 times (she has 3 circ'ed boys) so she can STFU.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ I was the same way for the last couple of weeks. I was so tired and didn't want to go anywhere or do anything. I say, don't push yourself if you're not up to it unless you really feel like you want to move. KWIM?

Every time I read about other people having to deal with family opinions I am so thankful. My family just doesn't get into each other's business like that. No one has ever even asked me about circumcision or breastfeeding or anything else. The teasing thing is the most ridiculous reason to mutilate a baby's genitalia. Seriously?! You could always give your MIL some info on the facts about circumcision. Even email her a video of what is actually done during the procedure (if you can stomach that sort of thing. I've never been able to.). That might make her think twice. But, yeah, ultimately, it's not of her business. And, if your ds ever gets to a point in his life where he wants to be circumcised, he can go to a plastic surgeon and get it done. Then it would be his choice, as should be anything that involves permanent changes to his body.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 AM

I'd give her facts but I honestly think teaching by example is the way to go with her.  I mean, what can I do?  She's done having kids, her boys all all grown.  She wasn't keen on exclusive or extended BF'ing either but then she saw how normal it actually was.  I remember when Nora was 4-5 months old she would harass me about when I was going to start giving her "real food".  lol.gif  I don't even think she realized Nora was still nursing past 2 years old.  So, I think in this case, having a boy with an intact penis and never really having it be an issue is the perfect way to just teach her the lesson.  

I might go and just get in the pool and not let people bother me.  At this point, I've resigned that this kid isn't coming until his due date so I might as well make the most of the time I have left, right?  LOL.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I'd give her facts but I honestly think teaching by example is the way to go with her.  I mean, what can I do?

Yeah, just stick to your guns and tell her to butt out if you have to. I try to have factual info available but people can take it or leave it. In the end, it doesn't really matter what they think.

I think I left a lot out of Dylan's birth story. It was already so long, though. At the end I was literally screaming my head off. I had my upper body supported by an ottoman. I was afraid I was going to rip the fabric right off of it because I'd grab hold of it and pull back while I was screaming. A few choice words came out of my mouth, too. redface.gif It was not peaceful and easy like some births I've read about or seen video of on YouTube. I guess I need to accept the fact that I'm a screamer. orngbiggrin.gif

Old 07-31-2011, 12:00 PM

The thought of a pool seems glorious to me, so I'd definately go. Maybe get DH to tell everyone you just need quite time and you're not feeling well? Hopefully you'd be able to just float along and ignore everyone. 

I'm lucky with my IL's about the circ thing since they chose not to circ, and I don't believe my SIL did either (only one boy in the family). It can't be done in the hospital (at birth) in our province anyways, so they're definately making it harder to get done, which I think has thankfully decreased the incidence of it. My mother DID chose to circ both my brothers, but she's not really the type that has a strong opinion about anything, so I'm not worried there. She would probably just shrug and say "everyone was doing it, so we did". Now... breastfeeding, and cloth diapers, and no CIO, etc etc... those are all things my IL's are going to semi-silently express opinions on. 

MW-- I don't think I'll be a screamer, but I can definately see myself turning into one of those moaning cave-women. Even the few times I've had seriously hospital worth pain with AF, I've noticed I automatically start low moans, and it does help, mostly I think because if you're truly deep moaning, it keeps you from tensing your body. So hopefully I'll have some nice loud music in the background to help with the self-consciousness. 

So, after wanting the same crib since before I got pregnant, DH finally clued into the price (even though I've told him since the beginning...) and basically forbid me to buy it. It's $300. He did help me pick out a new one from the same company though (so it's still all natural, non toxic, no press board, etc etc), and it's $100 cheaper, so I'm trying to fall in love with that one even more. We're planning a trip to the states in mid-august, so we'll be picking it up then, hopefully. So exciting, even though we won't have a nursery to put it in for several months. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 07-31-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

JJ ~ I do that moaning toward the end active labor. But when it comes to transition and pushing, there's nothing I can do but scream. Almost certainly, any self-consciousness you may have will be gone. When you are in that moment nothing else matters. I am usually very uncomfortable being undressed in front of other people, even my own mother and sisters. I'm very self-conscious about that. However, when it hit me, I didn't care. I stripped down completely naked and didn't care who was there.

Shoot! I was on the phone with dh and accidentally cut him off. He hasn't called back. greensad.gif

Old 07-31-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:

JJ ~ I do that moaning toward the end active labor. But when it comes to transition and pushing, there's nothing I can do but scream. Almost certainly, any self-consciousness you may have will be gone. When you are in that moment nothing else matters. I am usually very uncomfortable being undressed in front of other people, even my own mother and sisters. I'm very self-conscious about that. However, when it hit me, I didn't care. I stripped down completely naked and didn't care who was there.

If my labor this time is anything like last time, this is exactly how I'll be.  I do remember screaming quite a bit, but being told lovingly that I should do all I can to keep my voice low and my throat open.  High pitched screams tighten everything up.  For the few hours I was in transition with Nora, I actually chanted/moaned, "Ooooopennn...." thru ctx b/c it was literally all I could do. I could *never* see myself as a quiet birther!!  lol.gif  One of the biggest reasons I'm not keen on having Nora home while I'm in labor.  She's going to grandma's.  

My only "goal" and I say it loosely this time is to just be more "with it" and less panicky and frantic.  I feel like I completely lost myself last time, and this time I want to be more there, more present.  I think just having experienced it before will help me (or at least I hope it will) and I also have more tools in my kit (the pool, extra people, music, etc).

AFM - I spent the whole afternoon floating in my ILs pool.  I'm SO GLAD I WENT.  I was in such a grumpy mood this morning and yesterday and now I feel good!  I was still having pretty decent ctx all day, even in the pool, but they aren't real.  I think I'm resigned to the fact that I have at least 2 weeks left, so I might as well not get my hopes up and just try to get thru this time as happily as I can.  Little dude will come when he's ready.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

If my labor this time is anything like last time, this is exactly how I'll be.  I do remember screaming quite a bit, but being told lovingly that I should do all I can to keep my voice low and my throat open.  High pitched screams tighten everything up.  For the few hours I was in transition with Nora, I actually chanted/moaned, "Ooooopennn...." thru ctx b/c it was literally all I could do. I could *never* see myself as a quiet birther!!  lol.gif  One of the biggest reasons I'm not keen on having Nora home while I'm in labor.  She's going to grandma's.  

My only "goal" and I say it loosely this time is to just be more "with it" and less panicky and frantic.  I feel like I completely lost myself last time, and this time I want to be more there, more present.  I think just having experienced it before will help me (or at least I hope it will) and I also have more tools in my kit (the pool, extra people, music, etc).

My screams weren't high-pitched screams. They were more like deep throated grunts and moans, I guess, but very loud. It's hard to describe. I tried to envision my cervix opening as I was having a contraction. It helped me to stay focused and aware rather than feeling like I was losing myself. That's how I felt with K's labor, like I lost myself and got panicky and didn't really get to experience it. Even though it seemed harder with D than with K, I was able to handle it better. I wasn't out of control. I was consciously making lots of noise because it helped me get through the contractions and gave me more strength to push when I needed.

I'm always amazed at those birth videos where the mama just makes a little sighing sound or a few small grunts and then baby slips out. I wonder if it has something to do with size. I read a birth story today that sounded pretty easy. The baby was only 6 lbs. and a few ounces.

Glad you felt better after the pool. I saw your pics on FB.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 AM

MW: I've seen them where babies are on the big side too; I think it just depends on the woman. there's nothing wrong with being a screamer :) you do what you must.

Carrie, my aunt brought up the fact that DS isn't circ'd with my mom, and bless her, mom just said we didn't want to do anything that wasn't medically necessary, and that seemed to be enough for my aunt. I wasn't there, so I don't know. As for the locker room thing; circ rates are on the decline so there won't be as much of that locker room stuff as your MIL thinks. Granted, I think I know of only one or two other little boys in our circle of friends that are intact, but I'm in the south. and people here are slower to change on that stuff. I think there are actually more people that I know that selectively or delay vax (or choose not to vax at all) than choose not to circ.

I think Finn will be here before his DD at the rate you're going. As much as I *know* prodromol labor is supposed to prepare you and make labor shorter, I had that from about 37/38 weeks all the way through when I was induced at 41+6. (granted, it wasn't all day every day, but still, it wears you out!) I know you are ready for him to come on and arrive!

I had a dream last night that I had to have a c-section, like NOW, for some complication. Something about there being too much space around the baby or something. I guess my birth fears are starting to act up. Need to work on affirmations and stuff.

Less than 2 months to go! (unless she's late) I am not ready, but I'm working on being ready to be ready, making lists, etc. I think I might be driving DH a little crazy.

JJ: did you make a date for the fun scan? and yay on a cheaper crib! When my dad saw how much the crib we wanted was, he decided to build one. I said OK! (solid cherry! don't find that in stores, at least not at the price we were looking at) Is it at IKEA? I want to make an IKEA trip so badly . . .

Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 AM

wave.gif  I'm still hanging out, waiting for baby!  She was squirming like crazy last night for about an hour.  I did hands & knees & lots of pelvic tilts to try to help her get into a better position, but she stayed posterior.  irked.gif  I don't think I'll ever be ready for baby, though.  There's still so much on my to do list.  And DD1's birthday is Saturday...she really wants a party w/guests, but all her close friends moved except for one who's gone for the whole summer & I'm not up to hosting a party.  greensad.gif  And we still don't have a name!  There is a new one that's grabbing both of us, but it isn't our "style."  What do you guys think of Piper?  Hannah, Nora, & Piper...

Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Carrie, my aunt brought up the fact that DS isn't circ'd with my mom, and bless her, mom just said we didn't want to do anything that wasn't medically necessary, and that seemed to be enough for my aunt. I wasn't there, so I don't know. As for the locker room thing; circ rates are on the decline so there won't be as much of that locker room stuff as your MIL thinks. Granted, I think I know of only one or two other little boys in our circle of friends that are intact, but I'm in the south. and people here are slower to change on that stuff. I think there are actually more people that I know that selectively or delay vax (or choose not to vax at all) than choose not to circ.

I think Finn will be here before his DD at the rate you're going. As much as I *know* prodromol labor is supposed to prepare you and make labor shorter, I had that from about 37/38 weeks all the way through when I was induced at 41+6. (granted, it wasn't all day every day, but still, it wears you out!) I know you are ready for him to come on and arrive!

Yes - I was just so hoping the circ thing would be a non-issue!  We got all the way to almost 38 weeks with no problems and then boom!  I was truthfully wondering when it was going to come up, but I thought it would be well after he was born.  LOL.  I'm glad the first response I had to her question was that it's only cosmetic and we don't have to.  She was like, "Oh I know you don't have to, I've just heard horror stories of boys being teased...and it's a hygiene issue, you know," and I just shook my head and said, "it's really not an issue with hygiene at all, I've done a lot of research and we have decided not to do it."  Hopefully that's enough, you know?  I'll have to teach her how to care for it, I suppose, b/c I do NOT want her retracting or doing anything harmful if/when she does diapers.

I hope you're right that Finn decides to come sooner than later.  Though, I'm really trying hard not to expect him any earlier than he is due.  It's too much of a mind game!  And this false labor sucks so much.  These ctx really are waking me at night and making it hard to move around.  I feel like when I'm having one I don't want to move.  UGHH.  At least it's getting my head in the game for the real thing..

Dreams are fickle things.  I keep dreaming about my stupid family.  I wish they would butt out of my subconscious.

Quote:

wave.gif  I'm still hanging out, waiting for baby!  She was squirming like crazy last night for about an hour.  I did hands & knees & lots of pelvic tilts to try to help her get into a better position, but she stayed posterior.  irked.gif  I don't think I'll ever be ready for baby, though.  There's still so much on my to do list.  And DD1's birthday is Saturday...she really wants a party w/guests, but all her close friends moved except for one who's gone for the whole summer & I'm not up to hosting a party.  greensad.gif  And we still don't have a name!  There is a new one that's grabbing both of us, but it isn't our "style."  What do you guys think of Piper?  Hannah, Nora, & Piper...

I love Piper!  And I think it goes with the other girls names well!  Hurry and have her so I can have mine, ok?  I don't want to screw up the order, but I'll do what I have to do!  lol.gif

JJ - did you book your appt yet??  I can't wait for you to find out!!

MW - how is everything going with bedtime and Dylan?  Are the boys cooperating?  Is everyone getting sleep?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 AM

As long as Piper's middle name isn't Lime, (I've been watching Project Runway, can you tell?) I think it's fine - very cute, and I think goes well with Hannah and Nora. (we have lots of Nora's on this thread! LOL)

Carrie, I feel the same way, it is why I keep telling myself this is an October baby, so if she does come a bit late I'm not freaking out.

Tags
Maternity Vitamins Nutrition , Motherhood Maternity , Expressiva Nursingwear Budget Softcup Maternity Nursing Bra , Motherhood Maternity Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra
User Tag List