July 2011 Whatever Ladies Graduates - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh Annie, how hard! You had talked about wondering if there was a reason for her to be born via c-section, and maybe this was the way of taking care of all of you. She sounds absolutely gorgeous and perfect. Wishing you guys both a fast recovery and some peaceful days ahead. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 AM

Annie, glad to hear Ava got to choose her birthday! I so hope you can be with her soon and that the two of you are able to heal and bond together.

MW: good to know re: downward dog. looking at some of the pictures for hanging off the couch, it seemed kind of similiar and less precarious. I do like to do cat/cow alot.

Carrie: I really, really, hope you are better soon!

JJ: Late pregnancy doesn't mean illness for everyone all the time. I wasn't that way with my first, and I hope not with this one either. When do you find out girl or boy? is it soon?

AFM: well, glucose test was today and it went ok, I guess. Test results tomorrow. I am up only a lb, so 6 total for the pregnancy. (and I will be 30 weeks on Weds!). Talked with the Doc about VBAC and ugh. I don't know . . . . I sent my doula  a long email because I am just not sure I am digging this practice (well at least not their VBAC protocols) - they said 40 weeks is the absolute latest they'd go, they want an epidural placed (but can do one without meds so I can still be med free), internal monitors (which I am actually ok with) . . . She also said she might want to repeat an u/s at 38 weeks to check on baby's size. I said, She isn't going to be a big baby. My first wasn't, and she's measuring small as it is. Even with all that, she said so long as I go into labor on my own, she doesn't see any reason why I shouldn't have a successful VBAC. BUT I didn't get great vibes from her. She is only one of 4 docs in the practice though, and not the one I see mostly. so maybe my "regular" doctor feels differently. Also she quoted a higher rupture rate than I think is accurate. She gave 3-5% which doesn't seem right. I thought it was less than 1%.

Anyway, food for thought.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 07-18-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Katrina ~ I think you are right that the rupture rate is lower than what that doc quoted, unless the numbers have changed. I know the ACOG's position on VBACs has changed since I had my first. In 2004 it was considered safer to at least try labor rather than going straight to another c/s. A few years ago I read that the ACOG had decided that a repeat c/s was safer but I can't remember the details. I don't think I agreed with whatever it was.

One thing to remember is that no one can force to do anything you don't want. So, even if you are told they won't let you go past 40w or try to come up with some other reason why you need have a c/s, you don't have to agree to it. They can't drop you as a patient without at least referring you to someone else. The hospital can't refuse to admit you if you show up in labor. Same goes for other medical interventions. You may need to make sure you have a really strong support system of people who will be forceful with the hospital staff about your wishes.

What would be the reason for having an epi already in place if you don't want one? Or even internal monitors? Internal monitors weren't suggested to me even with my induced VBAC until one doc decided things weren't happening fast enough and wanted to increase my pitocin dose.

JJ ~ I agree with Katrina that pg does not necessarily mean more sickness. I don't remember getting sick more often with my other pgs. And, honestly, I don't think I've been any sicker than normal this pg, either. I have had more illness in general since moving to NC.

I'm feeling horrible today. I have no energy and just want to lie in bed. The battery on my van is dead. I think ds3 turned a light on inside it when we were moving ds2's car seat around. I don't even feel like dealing with it.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 PM

The epidural placement is in case they would need to rush to operate. Honestly it is the first time I've ever heard of that particular intervention. Wanting increased monitoring with a VBAC I understand, since usually changes in the fetal heart rate are one of the first signs of something gone wrong. The internal (for the doc) because it's more sensitive. For me, I actually prefer it, since I can be up an out of bed. With the external ones, I have to be pretty still; baby slides off of them too easily.

I know I can refuse anything, and I am trying to make sure I have a better support system. It is just a little frustrating sometimes. I wish a person didn't need to fight so hard to get something that is better for them and baby. I really think trial of labor should be a given for any mama, unless she really risks out otherwise.

I am so hoping to go into spontaneous, good labor and not show up to the hospital until close to pushing time. less time until pushing time, less time for interventions and junk. But there is really only so much in my control.

(long winded today!)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM

My eyes are itchy and weepy.  gloomy.gif  I just want a complete do-over for the month of July.  I can't believe I ever complained about pregnancy discomforts b/c I would gladly take them ALL if that was all that was uncomfortable.  I will never again be ungrateful!!!  UGH!  Chris has the car today and I don't think I have the strength to walk in 90 degree heat to walgreens to see if they have OTC pinkeye drops.

I have my home visit tomorrow, so I'm trying my best to clean up.  All I want to do is lie in bed.  I know I have every excuse to just leave it, but I'm weird about company coming.  My mw is coming, along with my doula and her back up assistant whom I've never met.  Talk about first impressions!!  Ugh.  The last way I want to meet someone new is with pinkeye, no makeup, and my glasses on with a messy house.  Sigh.  I just want a complete do over.

I feel bad complaining b/c it's not life or death but man, I'm super overwhelmed and totally bumming.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Katrina ~ I know what you mean. It really sucks that anyone would have to fight to be left alone. That's one big reason why I chose a homebirth. I knew if I went with any of the OBs in town I'd have to fight for everything. I've been thinking about that a lot lately because I can't seem to get over my fear of labor pain. I wish I could have had the option of a hospital birth with pain meds easily available jic. My only option with that would be to just show up at the naval hospital already in labor and refuse to leave. That would be a huge mess since I haven't had all the normal OB pg stuff done.

The issue I would have with the internal monitor is that they might have to artificially rupture your membranes to insert it. That increases the risk of infection and a cascade effect of further interventions. I had to have continuous external monitoring for my induction but wouldn't have needed it otherwise. I don't think continuous monitoring is necessary for a spontaneous VBAC, although I'm sure the docs think it is. Whenever I wanted to get up and move around, I just took the monitor off.

Carrie ~ It all sucks, especially when it's one thing after another that keeps hitting you. I cried over the stupid dead battery in the van today. eyesroll.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

So, I was listening to NPR on the way to TKD today and they had a story about women having elective early inductions and c/ses for non-medical reasons. They realized that there was a huge increase in the number of babies having to spend time in the NICU that coincided with the increase in these elective procedures and that most of the babies in the NICU were from these procedures. It took pediatricians saying that it wasn't right for OBs to reconsider what they were doing. The medical establishment is finally catching on to the fact that these elective procedures might not be such a good idea and there is a movement to stop early births without a clear medical reason. Interesting that that was just in the national news considering what we'd been discussing about what OBs consider full term. What astounds me is that they have come to the conclusion that maybe nature had it right and we shouldn't mess with the natural system unless there's a clear medical reason. Um...duh! duh.gif Why is it so difficult for people to believe that these natural and normal events happen the way they do for a reason?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 AM

I'm glad the issue is getting a national and mainstream spotlight. Also I'm looking forward to More Business of Being Born, I really liked the first one. this is due to come out in October I think.

I talked with my doula (well, it's email communication, but it works!) and I really think I'm going to switch practices. Everything the OB said seemed really off to me, and rang alarm bells for her too. The practice I would be switching to (where I had DS) actually just had a successful VBA2C mama, intermittent EFM, no IV fluids, etc. And she went to 40 + 6, and they would have let her go another week before doing a RCS (but she had to fight for that extra time). It really bothers me that a practice that advertises its VBAC friendly-ness is in reality so full of misinformation and scare tactics.

Annie, when you get a chance - I hope you are with and bonding with your new baby! - keep us updated, in words if not in pictures.

Carrie, hope your home visit goes well today. I am sure it will. Maybe afterwards you can lay down and rest so you can recuperate?? no 2+ mile walks! (unless the fresh air would help make you feel better)

JJ- how are you doing?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Carrie, hope your home visit goes well today. I am sure it will. Maybe afterwards you can lay down and rest so you can recuperate?? no 2+ mile walks! (unless the fresh air would help make you feel better)

Thanks!  And oh hell no!  I'm not doing any stroller walks until I'm well!!  And even then if I'm too huge forget it!  I'll pick them back up after I push this baby out.

So, TMI but I've been dealing with a lovely varicose vein on my *ahem* lady bits that seems to have appeared in the last day or two.  I think it's from straining while coughing.  Anyway, it hurts and makes me SO SCARED to push this baby out.  I had no fears of tearing, BTDT, but now with this like huge purple welt on my hoohah, I'm scared shitless of pushing.  Man.  

I'm hoping today I start to feel better.  I've been on the abx since Sunday, for crying out loud.  Where's my relief??  Crazy super bugs.

Annie - Thinking of you and Ava!! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Katrina ~ I'm glad you have another option. That other place sounds better and it's nice that you already know them.

Carrie ~ Someone else recommended this book in another thread I was reading about pelvic pain and SPD. You might still have time to get it and have it do you some good. http://www.amazon.com/Relieving-Pelvic-During-After-Pregnancy/dp/0897934806/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311038250&sr=1-1

Ryan came home yesterday to jump my van for me. That was the first time I'd seen him in a week except for once when he came home in the middle of the night to pick up some mail and half woke me up. He still managed to be Ryan. He came just before having to go to work so he changed here. I noticed later that he left the clothes he had been wearing laying on the living room floor. lol.gif

Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Well, sounds like a boy to me! no matter how grown, they leave their clothes in the middle of the floor! (DH drapes his on a chair now, but clothes rarely make it to the hamper). Glad you got to see him for a bit.

Carrie, is there anything you can do to reduce swelling down there, in the hopes of relieving the varicosities? just ice and heat alternatively or applications of some sort of herbal wash? One place I googled suggest frozen witch hazel soaked pads. I can see how that would be sort of freaky to think about pushing against, because if it did tear, it would, I think, bleed more and maybe hurt more (just thinking it might, it might not).

I put in an e-mail request for an appt at the other place. I hate talking to people on the phone! I really, really do! I wish everywhere did online/email appointments, and more are going that way. I can schedule pictures online, oil changes, hair appointments (at some places) . . . I love it!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

So, TMI but I've been dealing with a lovely varicose vein on my *ahem* lady bits that seems to have appeared in the last day or two.  I think it's from straining while coughing.  Anyway, it hurts and makes me SO SCARED to push this baby out.  I had no fears of tearing, BTDT, but now with this like huge purple welt on my hoohah, I'm scared shitless of pushing.  Man.  

Carrie - just wanted to tell you that I had the same thing last pregnancy - and had no problems with it at all during labor/pushing.  And I had a 9lb baby and tore really badly but it did not affect the varicose vein in any way.  I noticed at the beginning of this pregnancy that it has come back - in the same spot but I think it will be ok.  Just wanted to let you know that it can be ok and might not be affected at all!  There is hope!  Don't worry about it.

SAHM to DD1 - 6 blahblah.gif, DD2- 3energy.gif,DS Oct 2011 babyboy.gif Wife to dh.   homeschool.giftoddler.gif  sleepytime.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

The only things I know of to do for a varicose vein is the same thing my MWs suggested for my swelling; kegels to improve circulation, wearing a belly support band and/or support panties.

So, I am now using some otc vaginal YI cream. I've been taking probiotics and garlic and eating yogurt plus tried yogurt and garlic vaginally but it's not helping. I can't stand it anymore. My MW said it's safe to use even if I still have the cream in there when I go into labor. That was really my only concern with using it at this point, if it would be dangerous for baby to come in contact with the cream while being born.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **mom2one** View Post

Carrie - just wanted to tell you that I had the same thing last pregnancy - and had no problems with it at all during labor/pushing.  And I had a 9lb baby and tore really badly but it did not affect the varicose vein in any way.  I noticed at the beginning of this pregnancy that it has come back - in the same spot but I think it will be ok.  Just wanted to let you know that it can be ok and might not be affected at all!  There is hope!  Don't worry about it.

Thanks for this!!!

I feel better about it.  I talked to my mw about it today and she was very reassuring that it's nothing to worry about.  She said that actually, during pushing, the pressure helps flatten out the vein and sort of push the blood through, so it shrinks back down.  But she also said she'll keep an eye on it, and apply pressure if she sees anything going on that shouldn't.  She said it won't burst!  That she's seen some gnarly ones and though it's "possible", she's never seen in it 10+ years of attending births.  So, whew.  Cross that off my panic list.

So, like, OMG.  I've had my home visit.  After this week, baby can come at any time.  Holy.  Shit.  

He won't though.  He won't come til I'm healthy.  He and I had a good long talk about it, and he's super comfy in there so no rush.  I've got another month to rest, get better, treat any yeast issues, and get my spirits up before having him.  No worries there.  winky.gif

I did my own GBS swab.  I didn't swab around my rectum, I think that's dumb to do.  I did the vag swab and that's that.  

Oh - and breakthrough - we should have his genetic testing results within 48 hours of the birth!!  That's fabulous news and one less thing to worry about.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:28 PM

Yay for home visit done! now you can rest and get better!

tell him not to get too comfy because you will be itching to hold him once you are well.

and also great news on the genetic testing! less time to worry! You are full of good news today, I know you needed some positive thoughts -

Old 07-20-2011, 07:34 AM

Well, I am sort of halfway officially switched to the new (old) group. First appointment is Monday. I am still waiting for my glucose results, and then I'm faxing over the request for my medical records to be moved. Since I don't remember them wanting them from my old practice when I first started, I am beginning to wonder if this practice (the one I'm switching from) ever got them, or cared to?

The only thing that has me in the least bit trepidacious, is that I have a friend that LOVES the doctors at the practice I am switching from. It will be hard to explain to her why I would switch away. She will be having a RCS. because they told her that her pelvis just doesn't work (I think it was bad positioning, but I'm not doctor *hehe*) should have been my first clue! but she's also on bedrest for placental abruption, and they have taken really good care of her, so I understand why she likes them . . . it's hard explaining to people who aren't as passionate? about VBAC why I am

at any rate, hope everyone is having a great Monday!

MW: only 10 days until your EDC??? and people ask me if I'm ready and I have 10 weeks (at least!) are you ready?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Yay for home visit done! now you can rest and get better!

tell him not to get too comfy because you will be itching to hold him once you are well.

and also great news on the genetic testing! less time to worry! You are full of good news today, I know you needed some positive thoughts -

Thanks!

Yes, I did need good news!  

My spirits are up again today, I'm feeling MUCH better.  I think the abx are finally kicking some of this junk out of me, thank goodness.

I have 27 days till my EDD (one menstrual cycle, as I put it to DH last night and he freaked out)  and while I'm not ready b/c I'm still sick, I'm definitely MENTALLY ready for him to be here.  I can't wait for him to be safe in my arms and out and healthy.  I feel very confident after hanging out with my mw, doula, and her assistant yesterday that it's going to be an awesome birth.  They are totally going to help me rock it out.  I'm nervous a little about labor/pain but I know it's shortlived and I've done it before - I can do it again.

Katrina - I'm glad you're switching!  Don't worry about your friend, I'd just keep the info as to why you're switching to a bare minimum.  It's never wrong to say a different provider just fits you better.  It's not like the one you're leaving is "bad" but the one you're going to is better!  A better fit.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 AM

so glad you are feeling better!

a twist in my saga; I "failed" the 1 hr test with a 152. so I get to go next Thursday for the 3 hr test. Ugh. at least my iron is fine!

Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ Glad the home visit went well and you are now feeling better. One more menstrual cycle, huh? That really puts things in perspective.

Katrina ~ I love that, sort of halfway, officially switched. I wouldn't worry about your friend's opinion. I had a similar issue with the OB practice I was going to when I was pg with ds3. The other women I knew who went there weren't friends, just acquaintances, so it wasn't as personal, but they still were a little miffed when I said I didn't like the practice. They loved the OBs but they were also more than happy to just go along with what the docs said and have RCSes. I agree with Carrie. All you have to say is that the other OB is better for you and you have the experience to know since you've been to both.

Sorry you failed the 1 hour GTT. A lot of women fail that and pass the 3 hour test without a problem. Just sucks that you have to do it again.

I'm not sure if I'm ready or not. I wouldn't mind going into labor soon because I'm in so much pain right now with this SPD. It's really affecting my mood because I can't do much of anything. My boys are having a hard time. They don't understand why I can't just walk to the pool or on the beach. It makes me sad to think that we'll have another few weeks of doing a bunch of nothing after baby is born and they don't understand that, either. I went grocery shopping today (hopefully, for the last time before my mom gets here) and it was hard. By the time I was halfway through I was in so much pain I had to stop every few steps and try to rest and stretch. Some men saw me trying to put the bags in my car in the parking lot and rushed over to help. That's how pitiful I looked. OTOH, obviously, I don't want baby to come before he's ready.

I posted about my feelings about the upcoming birth in the Homebirth forum. I didn't want to burden you guys with it because I feel like I've been so negative lately. Basically, I want to be excited and happy and the birth but I'm not. I'm just sad and scared and bleh and just want to be done with it. The fact that I feel that way makes me feel even more sad because I so want to enjoy the experience as much as possible. I woke up this morning at 4:23 am, couldn't go back to sleep and cried all morning. I stopped long enough to get the shopping done but almost bust into tears when those men came to help me. One person suggested that my emotional state might be a sign that labor will be very soon. I kind of wondered about that but who knows? Could be any time now and could be another 3 weeks or so.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 PM

I could be wrong, but I really think I will do fine (granted I thought I'd pass the 1 hr no problem). DH was like, you could refuse the 3 hr test, but I told him that if I did, they'd just treat me like I was diabetic anyway, and the baby too (I think they do some addt'l testing to the baby, like blood sugars, etc if mom is GD, though I could be mistaken) I also let him know I made an appt on Monday to see the other practice. I'll ask the doctor I'll see that day - who I've seen before - what his thoughts are, etc. I think DH would be fine sticking with the practice we are at and just fighting tooth and nail for less interventions. I'd rather deal with switching, and not have to fight.

MW: maybe so! I know baby boy will cook as long as he needs to, and will come when he's good and ready. I HOPE for your sake it's not 3 weeks! Once your mom gets here, will she be able to take the boys out some so you can rest? as far as feelings about the homebirth, I feel that way about mine in a way - I wish I could just be purely excited about it, but there is too much drama surrounding a VBAC no matter which way I choose to go so there is a lot of stress that I wish wasn't there. I think I've bugged my poor doula to death today  - I don't know what I'd do without her! - I don't know if anyone approaches birth without some fear and trepidation.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I posted about my feelings about the upcoming birth in the Homebirth forum. I didn't want to burden you guys with it because I feel like I've been so negative lately. Basically, I want to be excited and happy and the birth but I'm not. I'm just sad and scared and bleh and just want to be done with it. The fact that I feel that way makes me feel even more sad because I so want to enjoy the experience as much as possible. I woke up this morning at 4:23 am, couldn't go back to sleep and cried all morning. I stopped long enough to get the shopping done but almost bust into tears when those men came to help me. One person suggested that my emotional state might be a sign that labor will be very soon. I kind of wondered about that but who knows? Could be any time now and could be another 3 weeks or so.

First off it would never be a burden to talk to us about your feelings.  We talk about everything and I get wanting outside opinions, it's so helpful.  But I'm glad you shared here too.  It helps to know that others feel similarly!  

I also think when you get to that place of being completely "done" it means labor is coming.  The day before I went into labor with DD, I had a complete mental breakdown in Walmart, I threw a fit over something incredibly stupid, over my body being done and feeling horrible and wanting the baby OUT.  DH hugged me in the potato chip aisle.  He said, "The baby is going to come soon, and some day we'll look back on the day you cried in the potato chip aisle at Walmart," and that night labor started.  So, have faith.  It'll happen sooner than later for you, I feel.

I personally haven't hit that wall yet.  Yes, I'm tired, and my body aches.  I got my SPD really under control with the few tricks I was doing and I think just basically being on the couch or in bed the last week has helped!  But I'm not in that place mentally where I'm just DONE.  I know I will be in about 2 weeks though!

Kat - I'm so sorry about the 1 hr.  What was the cutoff, like 140 or something?  I think you'll pass the 3 hr.  And maybe the new practice will have better advice for you.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM

they gave the cutoff as 130. But they seem to almost want women to risk out of being complication free . . . that's why I am glad to see the other practice Monday.

Hope you enjoy your sonic!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

I think they may have lowered the cut off for GD. I vaguely remember the MFM doc I was seeing telling me about that and how it would dramatically increase the number of pg women diagnosed with GD.

Kat (I like that shortened version winky.gif) ~ Could you do a glucose test after eating a regular meal instead? When I was pg with ds3 I failed the 1 hour GTT. I never would have taken it in the first place but I was sure I would pass. I was so mad when I failed. I refused the 3 hour but agreed to come in for blood draws after eating a normal breakfast. I did fine with that. That was with a very uptight OB practice. This time I went straight to testing after a meal rather than drinking the glucose drink.

I can't remember if they did any extra testing of ds2 after he was born. That was a weird situation, though. I actually just barely passed the 3 hour GTT. But, since I have PCOS and was taking metformin when I got pg and my numbers were just barely under the cut off, they decided to treat me as if I had GD, anyway. My blood glucose levels at home were always very good so maybe it wasn't an issue at birth since everything was under control.

Ryan came by with Sonic today. He shared his onion rings. smile.gif

I know it wouldn't be a burden to you guys but I feel like I've been such a bummer lately. I wish I could get to a positive place. I'm trying. It's not really the homebirth thing I'm not excited about, it's the birth in general. IDK. It's like I just want to go to sleep and wake up and have a baby. I don't want to deal with any of the birth stuff. I was so excited about giving birth to ds2 and ds3. This is really strange to me.

Does SPD make labor and birth more painful?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

Does SPD make labor and birth more painful?

From who I've talked to, no.  The relaxin that is making everything hurt now is actually awesome in labor.  You want your mw to know you're dealing with the SPD so you don't end up pushing on your back (which would be a bad position to push in, might hurt that pubic bone a lot) and that you'll need a lot of support if you choose to squat.  You'll need help getting up from a squat.  But no, I've heard in general, the RELIEF you get from labor and pushing is amazing.  So keep that in mind.  It might seem like your entire body is broken right now, and you'll never have the strength to do labor, but you will.  Those endorphins and adrenaline will totally get you on board for the ride.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Carrie. We discussed SPD at my last prenatal. My MW confirmed that that was what my problem was. I've started to hear my bones pop when I roll around in bed. It's actually quite painful to roll from one side to the other even though I try very hard to keep my knees together. It's also excruciating whenever I try to get up from a lying position.

I doubt I'll be on my back for labor. I envision myself either laying on my side in bed or on hands and knees in the tub. I talked to my MW about getting a stool to have in the tub so I could sit supported without having to be on the floor. I didn't like sitting reclined on my rear but I didn't feel like I could fully relax having to support myself on my hands and knees. She said she'd look into getting one of those shower seats you can get from a medical supply place.

Oh, I forgot to say that I did a bad thing. I bought 3 AI2s from Muttaqin Baby today. I don't need any more diapers, am not a fan of PUL and can't really afford them but I've never tried AI2s and they are basically OS so they should last forever. I justified it by telling myself my dh would like them because they are one step as long as the soaker is snapped in.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 AM

MW: LOL! after convincing myself we were doing just prefolds and covers at first for the new baby, I scored 5 AIO or pockets for $50 on diaperswappers, all in practically new condition (a Bumkins, 2 BG, and 2 Swaddlebees Simplex) - I had the thought that for MIL and church, etc, it might be nice to have a few "easy" diapers on hand if we run out of sposies for those occasions!

I hope to avoid SPD in this and any future pregnancy - I know you all are looking forward to having the babies if for no other reason than to achieve some relief!

Also I think alot of women feel sometimes it would be nice to just wake up and hold their babies without labor or anything. I think that is why so many choose Elective C-Sections and RCS without thinking about the risks and consequences as much. I know I am not exactly looking forward to labor, but I know I can handle the pain. I just want to go into labor on my own, for me, after that it (hopefully!) should be cake!

mmm. Sonic! it's not far, but it isn't nearly as close as it was to our old house. Yummy!

I faxed my request to have my records moved; I think when I go in to do the 3 hr (as it is done at the hospital both practices are assosciated with) I can just ask them to send results to the new practice as opposed to the old. I'll check with the Dr when I see him Monday.  I saw no reason to call about changing or to mention it when setting up the 3 hr test . . . .I am a chicken when it comes to confrontation!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Haha, Katrina. I'm on a last minute spending spree for myself, especially since I saw the last payment to my MW clear my bank account. I bought another Majamas sleep nursing bra. These things are sooooooooooo comfortable. Depending on how they work for nursing, I may get some more and throw my other bras out. I also got 2 nursing nightgowns and a nursing pajama set. The set has shorts and 3/4 sleeves so it should be good for early fall. The nightgowns are sleeveless but they are the slide to the side nursing style, which is way easier when nursing while half asleep then trying to pull the bottom up and find the slit and get the bra off to the side and then put everything back together with the nursing pad in place before baby and I are swimming in a milk bath. Whew!

The only thing I've been wanting from Sonic is the spicy jalapeno burger (can't remember what it's called). I can't eat it, though, because it gives me the worst heartburn so I don't go to Sonic at all.

Maybe you can write the old practice a letter explaining why you left. It might be good for them to know since they do advertise themselves as VBAC friendly. They need to know they aren't quite hitting the mark on that.

Not sure if the lab at the hospital will send your results to the new place just on your request. I think they might be required to send the results to the doctor who ordered the test.

I still haven't had my records from my pap sent to my MW. I keep forgetting about it. It's a pita because I know I'll have to go the doc's office to fill out a form and they don't allow children in their building, supposedly because of H1N1. So stupid. I think that's just an excuse because they don't want little kids running around making noise and commotion.

I'm feeling better after my meltdown. I can't believe I went all day yesterday from 4:30 am to 11:00 pm without a nap. I've never done that before. I usually need a nap even when I wake at my usual time, around 8 am. I've got a prenatal today. I'm sure it will be uneventful. I have no more YI symptoms but I've got 3 more days of using this cream so I don't want baby to come before, say, Monday of next week. I think it takes a couple of days after stopping the cream to get it all out of there. It's so nice to feel relatively healthy again.

Oh, I picked up my maternity photos yesterday. I was so excited to get home and stick the CD in my computer so I could show you guys. But...they didn't give me the CD! I have to go back today and find out what happened. Also, the collage I got for my dh has an empty white circle in the middle. When I was picking the photos the photographer said I could pick something to have written in it but I couldn't think of anything. She said I could leave it blank. She didn't tell me there would be an empty circle smack dab in the middle of the photo. So, I'm going to take those back, too, and see if I can get that removed. I'm kind of pissed because I paid a lot of money for these photos and I wanted to get that one mailed to my dh asap. I know he's looking forward to getting it because he's actually asked me about it. He never asks me about anything like that. Ya know, he has never asked me if I got the anniversary gift he sent? I haven't mentioned it because I returned it. redface.gif

Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 AM

My appt with the new practice is on Monday, and the test is scheduled for Thursday, I wonder if the new practice can contact the lab to get the destination of the results changed? I'll ask.

That sucks about your photos. As much as I know you love getting out of the house it sounds like another trip is in order. When we lived there, I think we did most of our photos at Sears. We did Olan Mills just once, and that was a special occasion.(but Walmart didn't have a photo place in it back then either)

It is too hot! I took DS on a short walk to feed the ducks and man, I think we are both wore out!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Still here, just trucking along in the heat. We're in the middle of a huge heat wave right now, not totally uncommon once a year or so up here... but this one seems to be going on longer. With the humidex, it's been around +45 (113) for almost a week straight. At work, our AC is stretched to the max, so in the lobby where I am, there's pretty much no AC... my work days are spent in dress clothes in approx 30 degree heat (around 86).   I'm doing ok so far, but by the time I get home, I'm just pooped. 

DH and I had a mini fight this morning. As you all know, he didn't want to find out the sex of the baby, and then over the past three weeks, he's been speaking definitively as if we ARE going to find out (talking about finally meeting the baby for real, and knowing what it is, etc etc etc). When people asked if we were finding out he started answering "next week". 

Then this morning... (oh yes, the morning of our ultrasound), he comes in, wakes me up, and tells me he doesn't want to find out anymore. I basically just told him to leave. I'm like ok, we've been discussing this, and I was very patient with it... but you can't change your mind the morning of the ultrasound. 

In other news, I think I picked a wall color for our nursery. I'll post it later. 

Also, had a cute little chat with my boss yesterday about the pregnancy, and holding up in the heat, feeling baby move, etc. She's a few weeks behind me, also with her first, so it's nice to have a boss who literally understands everything I'm going through right now. She's been great about getting time off for appointments, and understanding if I just need to go sit down, or go grab a snack, or drink, etc etc, and is constantly asking me if the heat is ok. It's nice not to feel like I have to suck it up, even though I still do a little bit. 

My hips have been hurting like mad the last two days. I'm arranging to have a massage, and start going to prenatal yoga, and if that doesn't help, I need to find a new chiro, which scares me. I love my chiro, but in general, they freak the crap out of me. The whole idea of it is scary! It's literally this one guy that I feel ok with, but I don't think he does prenatal. I'm hoping it doesn't all add up to SPD. Right now it just feels like my pelvis is out of alignment, so I'm hoping between the massage and yoga I can stretch things back into place. 

MW-- That sucks about the photos! It's so hard when you've been looking forward to something, and then it's such a letdown when you get it. I want to have mat photos done, but I can't find a photographer I like yet, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I need to keep looking... I've got several weeks, but I don't want to be rushing last minute for someone who has space. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM

JJ: If you & your DH can't agree by the time of the ultrasound, have the ultrasound tech put the sex in an envelope.  Your DH sounds ambivalent enough that he'll come around sooner or later.  I'd guess in the moment at the ultrasound.  ;)  

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Tags
Maternity Vitamins Nutrition , Motherhood Maternity , Expressiva Nursingwear Budget Softcup Maternity Nursing Bra , Motherhood Maternity Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra
User Tag List