AnnieA (due 7/18) ~ Baby girl born July 17, 2011
MarineWife (due 7/30) ~ Baby boy born July 25, 2011

MovingMomma ~ 8/9
Baby_Cakes ~ 8/16
akind1 ~ 9/28
mom2one ~ 10/23
jeninejessica ~ 12/1
Kindermama ~ 1/6

Link to last month's thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1315673/june-2011-whatever-ladies-graduates

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#2 of 373 Old 07-03-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A new month and after a break in babies we have two that could come this month. joy.gif Or maybe one this month and 3 next month. I'm still rooting for August 1 for me. winky.gif

I've ventured out and gotten involved in a few other threads on here and it's so nerve wracking. It's interesting but I'm also wondering what I've gotten myself into and sometimes am scared to check the threads for new posts.

Anyway, heartburn is killing me today. Ugh! I'm eating Tums like they are candy and it's doing nothing. DS2 is spending the night at a friend's house, maybe. It's right next door (yes, that boy) so it will be easy for him to come home in the middle of the night if he gets scared. We tried a sleep over here Thursday night but ds got scared and wanted to get in bed with me but he couldn't leave his friend alone. I tried laying down with ds in his bed with the friend in the other bed in the boys' room but then the friend started crying and said he was scared and wanted to go home. So, I called his mom at around 2 am and he went home.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#3 of 373 Old 07-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

A new month and after a break in babies we have two that could come this month. joy.gif Or maybe one this month and 3 next month. I'm still rooting for August 1 for me. winky.gif

I've ventured out and gotten involved in a few other threads on here and it's so nerve wracking. It's interesting but I'm also wondering what I've gotten myself into and sometimes am scared to check the threads for new posts.

Babies are going to start coming soon!  I can't wait to see some whatevering birth announcements!!

I'm always paranoid when I branch out...I've started clicking New Posts again and I'm usually terrified scrolling down.  I like my bubble of my DDC and you guys, lol.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 373 Old 07-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Yes, bubbles are nice!

MW: i agree re: attempting a breech homebirth, although I think midwives are actually trained to attend them at least, and MD's are just trained to do c-sections in the event of a breech birth.  Dreams are funny things, aren't they? I dreamt too that DH was having an affair with another woman, married, with 2 kids. I asked him - in the dream - what would make him stop, he said getting a job. LOL

I can't wait to see all these babies! have a bunch coming here on MDC and IRL for me. If I weren't pregnant, I would be super broody.

AFU: I think we are set to officially move next weekend. MIL wants to help box up stuff, but DH doesn't want her to. She gets kind of frenzied and doesn't really work in an organized fashion. (may be our fault for not having a game plan). While I am not exactly looking forward to sharing a house, etc, I am looking forward to this move just being DONE.

JJ: on the TMI front, I think I have finally gotten to the point where DTD is just plain uncomfortable. need to work on something or some way to make it less so. and I have 3 more months! (I don't remember when or if I got to that point with DS, we were pretty infrequent during that pregnancy).

hope everyone enjoys the 4th!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#5 of 373 Old 07-04-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

I keep getting sucked in by the Next Thread notice underneath the threads.

I've been having more serious cxts the last few days. Still nothing regular but they definitely stronger.

#6 of 373 Old 07-04-2011, 07:03 AM

hi 

not sure if you are still adding new names or not to the list - but I have been following this thread from back before anyone was pregnant - and I too am expecting - #3 this time. I guess I should change my screen name  I am due October 23.  If you want to add me you can.  I don't post too often - I feel like I am a thread killer - every time I post somewhere the thread dies! lol  I do feel like I know all of you as I read all the new posts everyday! 

I just found out this weekend that one of my very good friends is pregnant too - very unexpected and totally unplanned and she is freaking out.  She suffers from anxiety and depression and is on meds for it but she will have to go off them and she is already having panic attacks and such so she is not having a good time right now.  I am trying to help her see all of the positives of this and get her excited - I think she needs to get her mind off the negatives and the worries and try to focus on the good things.  Any ideas or suggestions that would help with the anxiety?

Another question I have - I know I should probably know this but anyway - how much does the baby really move around in there??  I mean at this point (24 wks) it still have room in there so it flipping and moving around a lot or does it pretty much just stay in one position other than rolling and kicking?   I always feel the kicks and punches on either side - nothing too much at the top and bottom yet - well maybe a little at the bottom but nothing major.   No real reason for asking just curious is all.

Anyone getting crafty for the baby?  I have been crocheting a little - we don't know the sex so I am making little hats for boys and girls and will sell or give away whichever ones I don't need.  I love to crochet and have not had a chance to do it for my own LO yet so I am quite excited - I should post pics to get your opinions.  So far I have a piggy hat for a girl and an owl hat for a boy.  I am working on a giraffe hat and then I want to make little newsboy hats for both sexes with matching cocoons.  I was thinking of trying to get gender neutral colors but I know that once the baby is here I will want their things to be either boy or girl so people don't have to guess when they see them! 

Well I'm off to pick up DD1 from her very first sleepover!  It was nice to have just DD2 alone last night.

SAHM to DD1 - 6 blahblah.gif, DD2- 3energy.gif,DS Oct 2011 babyboy.gif Wife to dh.   homeschool.giftoddler.gif  sleepytime.giffamilybed1.gif

#7 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 06:16 AM

mom2*three* - congrats! I think it may depend on the little one, the movement, how much, etc. I am nearly 28 weeks and she does move a bunch, when she wants to, I think at this point, most babies haven't really settled into a position yet. I know with this pregnancy, she goes from transverse to up and down quite often. I think they don't really settle into a position until the last month. Now, I will say, she seems most comfy on my left side. I always feel the bulk of her over there. With my first, he was more comfortable on my right side. She also seems to be lower in general than my first . . . so I do really think it depends on the baby.

I plan on crocheting . . .we will see if I get around to it!

DS loved the fireworks! we were near another LO near his age that cried the whole time. I am so glad that DS likes them, because I do! DD moved a whole bunch during the show, but I don't know if that is because she liked them or not.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#8 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Or 3 this month and 1 next, or even all 4 next month!  lol.gif

I think my baby has dropped, but she's still posterior.  mom2one, I've felt very few positional changes w/my babies.  This one has been head down for as long as I've been able to identify head up or down (somewhere around mid 20 wks) and she's only been in 3 different positions.  That's total, not flipping back & forth between the 3!  I haven't been gaining much the last month or so, which I have mixed feelings about.  I was up 34 lbs at 28 or so weeks, but now I'm 35 lbs at 35 wks.  I have a MW appointment today so I'm interested to see if I'm still measuring right on.  I actually might be measuring smaller b/c of the dropping.  

I'm knitting a matching hat and sweater set for Baby.  This is my first sweater, and it's so much fun!  I want to get it finished and get in a diaper soaker or two.  And there's a super cute pair of booties that I want to knit, but I'm not sure if I can figure out the pattern.  

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#9 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 07:10 AM

Whew! I'm beat from all the festivities yesterday! We went to a parade in the morning, then I took the younger 3 to the indoor pool for a couple of hours and then off to our town's fireworks which included lots of activities for the kids beforehand. I did so much walking and standing that by the time I got home last night, I was almost in tears because my pelvis and hips hurt so bad! Good thing I have a chiro appt this afternoon! I sure need it.

With the firetruck sirens in the parade and then the fireworks last night, I discovered that loud noises give Ava hiccups! So no clue what we'll do next year for 4th of July...I may be staying home with her while everyone else goes to watch fireworks.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#10 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 AM

Annie, I brought DS to fireworks when he was 8 months old, and he didn't cry at all. He clung to me a bit, but otherwise seemed to really enjoy the lights. This year he seemed to really enjoy both the lights and the noise; he kept saying BOOM BOOM when it was done. It is really hard to say whether they will like them or not.

Shannon, I don't think DS changed position much, he was vertex from 22 weeks on, I think. This LO seems to like to move positions a lot more. Though she keeps reverting to transverse I think. I am not brave enough to do knitting. (too many horror movies use knitting needles as weapons!). Though I think it goes faster than crocheting.

#11 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome, mom2one. Congratulations! joy.gif I'm terrible at remembering timelines but my baby has been mostly head down with his back on my right, facing my left as long as I can remember being able to tell. He did move transverse sometimes but that was when he was much smaller. I would say he has been head down and stayed that way for at least 2 months. I'm 36w now.
Quote:
Or 3 this month and 1 next, or even all 4 next month!

Shannon ~ I was thinking this and was going to ask you how you felt about things. There is enough overlap that any one of us could come the month earlier or later. I've been gaining too much lately. I seem to go a week gaining nothing and am happy about that. Then the next week I gain 2-3 lbs. WTH?! It's playing mind games with me. Oh, I don't think I ever mentioned...remember that I was measuring a little ahead in the beginning of this pg? For the past several weeks I've been measuring right on. smile.gif

That's an interesting pattern to choose. Do you know any German or are you wanting to learn while you knit? I took German in college but don't remember much of anything. I guess you just figure out how many stitches you need to CO to get 10 centimeters and knit in in garter stitch following the video, huh? Why aren't we friends on Ravelry?

Carrie ~ I've been meaning to say to you that when I was able to feel baby's head, it felt much larger and rounder than his butt. His butt is more narrow and pointy. I can't usually feel his head because he's tucked so far down in my pelvis. Recently, though, it seems his head has come up more. Weird since you'd think he'd be more likely to move down. shrug.gif

We did our own fireworks in the backyard rather than going to see any. I can't handle the crowds with that sort of thing. Ryan had a BBQ and invited some friends and neighbors. That was cool. I didn't have to do anything. Then he lit the fireworks with the LOs. Very sweet.

#12 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

MW: i agree re: attempting a breech homebirth, although I think midwives are actually trained to attend them at least, and MD's are just trained to do c-sections in the event of a breech birth.

I think this is true, too. The problem is I've read a few stories about breech babies being lost at homebirths. At least one MW was charged with something and found guilty, I believe, even though the family of the baby didn't hold her responsible. I don't know the circumstances around any of them but that scares me. I think I'd rather be in a hospital where an emergency c-section could be done if needed. The ideal would be to have an experienced MW attend me in a hospital with the OBs waiting in the wings in case they were needed. Of course, I doubt there are many MWs who work with OBs and in hospitals who are experienced with vaginal breech birth, either, since the doctors usually have the final decision making power.

I've never looked into all the details and issues with a breech baby because I've never had to deal with that so I don't really know what I would do.

I have found that I almost always end up on the fringes of discussions even here on MDC. It kind of bothers me. I feel isolated enough IRL because I think and do things so much differently than just about everyone I know or meet. MDC is supposed to be a place where I can fit in more but I don't. I'm a weirdo even here.

#13 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 08:08 AM

MW, having a care provider that is experienced in breech birth is my biggest concern. That's why I'm more o.k. w/having a c-section if she stays breech because I would rather have an OB that is experienced in surgery perform the c-section than risk injury or death to Ava by attempting a vaginal birth with a care provider that is unexperienced in vaginal breech birth. We only have 3 midwives in my town. Two that are homebirth midwives and the other is a hospital midwife that works in the practice with my OB. None of them will attend a vaginal breech birth.

FWIW, you never strike me as being so on the fringe as far as your parenting opinions go. You are definitely not mainstream and I can see how that would be an issue, especially where you live. One of the great things about our little group here is that we all have different opinions but it doesn't seem to cause any problems!

Ugh, I don't feel good today you guys. My stomach feels like it is trying to cleanse itself but I'm still constipated. Blech...I really don't want to go in to labor before I've had a chance to discuss my preferences for the c-section with my OB. That won't happen until my appt on Friday. So I'd like her to hold off for at least another couple of days.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#14 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Wouldn't it be magical if every hospital had at least one provider who was properly trained and knew how to deliver breech babies? It's not fair that something that is just a variation on normal is shuffled into an automatic c-section so often. 

I've been crocheting, though not nearly at the speed I've wanted to. But that said, I've made quite a few things already prior to the pregnancy, and have blankets coming out the wazoo. But I've still got lots of yarn I wanted to use up, so I've been making a few little sweaters and stuff, since it'll work out well with the December date. 

We had our first OB appointment yesterday. Wowwwweee! Ok so first off, I'm so disappointed because the doctor is absolutely amazing. A total grandmother type feel, where I felt listneed to, and respected, and comforted. But she's retiring at the end of August and will be passing my care on to her replacement (who she says follows all her same practices, but of course you don't know...). But anyways, she said normally they would do bloodwork at the appointment to test a few things, I said I was terrified of needles, and she said ok. That was that. I asked about the GD test, and she said they normally do it in that practice along with your 28 week bloodwork, and that it is indeed done by blood draw, not a needle prick, which I said was good.

And then she had me hop up on the table to check out the belly... I lifted up my shirt, and right away she kind of paused and was like "oh... well... that's a little bit bigger a belly than we normally expect to see at 18.5 weeks..." Well let's get the doppler and see what we can find. So she dopplered me, and you could tell she still wasn't 100% that she was hearing a second heartbeat, so she was like "well... we don't normally ever ever do this, but I do have a portable ultrasound machine... is it ok if I grab that and we take a peek real quickly?"  At this point DH I swear has turned white, and I was a little bit in disbelief (all our friends have been joking about twins). So we got an impromptu ultrasound... she did confirm there is just ONE in there, thankfully. I didn't realize just how badly I didn't want twins until we were trying to find a second baby on the screen and I was holding my breath. But anyways... my gosh. It's so weird to see it and know that is YOUR baby in there, not some picture on the internet. We've really wanted to limit ultrasounds, so we are planning for the 21 week one, and then a second 'fun' one that my sister won a gift certificate for, as a way to confirm the sex, at that's that. So this one was a bonus, and total surprise. It was very neat to see all the little ribs, and the baby's bent up knees and everything. So little!

Anyways... DH and I both thought we saw what could be boy parts, so I think he's totally on board now with finding out the sex on the 21st, which will be good. I can't wait now, especially since we've gotten a tease! 

Back to work today after four long glorious days off with DH. And this week he starts hardcore on our yard, and organizing the garage (so he can empty out the basement to finish reno'ing it). I'm so exicted!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#15 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 AM

So exciting JJ! I keep forgetting you are so far along now! I hope for your sake that the OB is right and her replacement will follow her guidelines.

#16 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

JJ ~ Whew! You had me scared there for a 2nd. I was going to ask if you got any gender ideas.

I didn't realize so many of you also knit and/or crocheted. That's very cool.

Annie ~ I totally get what you are saying and I think I'd probably feel the same way. I know that vaginal breech births can be done and I'd probably want to try one but in a hospital setting where I knew emergency surgery was available immediately. I don't know how possible or dangerous a footling breech vaginal birth is except from you and JJ have told us. My only issue with that would be scheduling the c-section before going into labor since it is possible for baby to turn even in labor. I'd want to give baby as much time as possible to turn but I don't know how far I'd risk it. KWIM? I'm sure you do since you are actually having to figure that out. That's where it frustrates me that there are so few HCPs who are experienced with that because then you don't have much choice. It especially frustrates me because the reason I have read for HCPs not being trained or experienced in vaginal breech births is the liability costs. They can't afford the malpractice insurance and/or possibly being sued if things go wrong so they don't bother even trying to learn about it.

And then everyone says, well, the important thing is that baby is okay. Yes, that's very important and everyone's ultimate goal. I can't imagine any mother saying she didn't mind that her baby was hurt or died because she got the birth experience she wanted. However, there are other things that are important, too. The experience of the mother does matter. A woman in labor who is traumatized by the experience is not ok, especially if she was forced or coerced into doing something she didn't want to do. Does that make sense?

Have you talked to your regular OB about any of this yet or only the MFM doc? Maybe your regular OB would have some other options.

I so appreciate that all us here have been able to stick together for so long. I tend to anger or upset other people when I post in other threads, which is not my intention at all. I think I get misunderstood a lot.

#17 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 AM

MW: it is easy to misunderstand and be misunderstood online; sometimes what we mean and what is read are very different things. I love the group we have here, it just seems like a safe environment to discuss our different opinions, etc, and I think we have gotten to know each other well enough that we don't easily take offense.(not that there is anything to be offended by)

I am probably the most non-mainstream of my IRL friends. It is hard to find crunchy/non-mainstream people here. They exist! I found a great local FB group - but tend to fly under the radar. There are so many things I just don't talk about much with the IRL peeps - like vaccines, WBV's, circumscision, etc. Now, if I am asked, I gladly volunteer info, but I generally don't bring it up.

I started a sweater for a friend's little girl (who will be 5 in January!) that I never finished, that I think I will try to for this LO. I am full of unfinished projects!

I agree: re the rather have a doc experienced in surgery to c-section for breech, than an inexperienced doc attempt a vaginal breech birth. I don't know that I would attempt it at home. I hope you get the chance to talk to him more about that before D Day.

JJ: yay on a peek at the baby! glad DH is willing to find out the gender, it is great to be on the same page. Have you got name ideas yet? - that is a discussion I never get tired of, although we are pretty set on the name for this little girl.

DS slept in until 9 this morning, and went down for a nap at 11. tired guy! maybe it is a growth spurt too . . .

#18 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Carrie ~ I've been meaning to say to you that when I was able to feel baby's head, it felt much larger and rounder than his butt. His butt is more narrow and pointy. I can't usually feel his head because he's tucked so far down in my pelvis. Recently, though, it seems his head has come up more. Weird since you'd think he'd be more likely to move down. shrug.gif

I've apparently never even felt this baby's head!  I had a mw appointment this morning (went great!) and she confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt this baby is head down.  She said his head is deep and fits well in my pelvis, so I'm just not even going to give it another thought or worry.  LOL!  It is funny that yours floated back up a bit, haha.  That's not the right way, baby!! And yeah, I can't feel his head.  I notice how hard (thought gentle) my mw has to press when she's palpating for his head.  I couldn't do that to myself, I can barely get my hands down there around this huge belly as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

We had our first OB appointment yesterday. Wowwwweee! Ok so first off, I'm so disappointed because the doctor is absolutely amazing. A total grandmother type feel, where I felt listneed to, and respected, and comforted. But she's retiring at the end of August and will be passing my care on to her replacement (who she says follows all her same practices, but of course you don't know...). But anyways, she said normally they would do bloodwork at the appointment to test a few things, I said I was terrified of needles, and she said ok. That was that. I asked about the GD test, and she said they normally do it in that practice along with your 28 week bloodwork, and that it is indeed done by blood draw, not a needle prick, which I said was good.

And then she had me hop up on the table to check out the belly... I lifted up my shirt, and right away she kind of paused and was like "oh... well... that's a little bit bigger a belly than we normally expect to see at 18.5 weeks..." Well let's get the doppler and see what we can find. So she dopplered me, and you could tell she still wasn't 100% that she was hearing a second heartbeat, so she was like "well... we don't normally ever ever do this, but I do have a portable ultrasound machine... is it ok if I grab that and we take a peek real quickly?"  At this point DH I swear has turned white, and I was a little bit in disbelief (all our friends have been joking about twins). So we got an impromptu ultrasound... she did confirm there is just ONE in there, thankfully. I didn't realize just how badly I didn't want twins until we were trying to find a second baby on the screen and I was holding my breath. But anyways... my gosh. It's so weird to see it and know that is YOUR baby in there, not some picture on the internet. We've really wanted to limit ultrasounds, so we are planning for the 21 week one, and then a second 'fun' one that my sister won a gift certificate for, as a way to confirm the sex, at that's that. So this one was a bonus, and total surprise. It was very neat to see all the little ribs, and the baby's bent up knees and everything. So little!

Anyways... DH and I both thought we saw what could be boy parts, so I think he's totally on board now with finding out the sex on the 21st, which will be good. I can't wait now, especially since we've gotten a tease! 

Whew!  You had me going there for a minute!!  I thought you were going to drop a twins bomb on us!!  Glad it's ONE baby -- and how cool you got a bonus u/s!!  And cool that you both think you saw boy parts!!  Yay for a possible boy!!

I'm glad they seem to be so respectful so far.  I'm hoping the OB that takes over is as gentle and kind.  You seem to be happy and that's what counts!

Quote:

I so appreciate that all us here have been able to stick together for so long. I tend to anger or upset other people when I post in other threads, which is not my intention at all. I think I get misunderstood a lot.

hug.gif

AFM - 34 weeks today, and like I said just had an appt.  It went really well!  All vitals were good (mine and his) and I asked her if she could give me an estimate on his size and she felt my belly again.  Said that if I have him in 3 weeks (OMG) he'd be around 8 lbs.  Of course she followed up with the disclaimer that her estimate could be off, but she assured me it doesn't seem like he's too huge or anything (and she just helped a woman deliver an 11 lb 4 oz baby at home!  So she knows huge!).

My UTI is gone!  My urine dip was clear.  She's sending a sample off for a culture anyhow, just to make sure.  She said it was a weird bacteria, so better safe than sorry.  I'm going to keep doing the cranactin and water though, it's not too hard to get most of a gallon in and I think it's really helping me feel better/hydrated anyway. 

My next visit in 2 weeks is my "home visit" where she wants all the supplies here and in the place where they'll be during the birth.  EXCITING! I'm mentally and physically so ready to get this show on the road!!  

DH is going to be super busy throughout July.  I think he has 3 or 4 business trips to take b/c he's planning on taking time off in August (and staying close to home/not traveling that month).  DH doesn't want this baby to come early!!  July is just too buys!  I dont want DH to be out of the state when this baby decides to make his appearance either, but ... I'll still be happy if he comes around 38-39 weeks.  At least then I think DH's trips will be done.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#19 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Check this out, a footling breech home birth. Very cool. You can see the entire backside of the woman since she's on hands and knees so probably not something to look at in a public place. DS2 looked and said, "Uh, mom, I can see that. What is it?" I told him it's a baby being born feet first. He said, "Ok but I can see that woman's whole butt." lol.gif

http://www.birthingway.com/footling_breech.htm

Here's another of an unassisted footling breech birth. Amazing!

http://community.parentingweekly.com/pregnancy/forums/p/1976855/16148567.aspx#16148567

It makes me rethink my fear of having a breech home birth.

Carrie ~ The only time I really felt baby's head was with my MW. She felt it and then I tried right after her. I did have to press pretty hard and deep into my pelvis. I haven't had much success at home. I just rely on the much more narrow, pointy thing that sticks up at the top of my belly. That's got to be his butt. He was doing some funny movements last night, completely distorted my belly. It looked so funny and felt really weird, kind of hurt a bit. You better not have that baby in 3 weeks! That would be before me. No fair! orngtongue.gif

I bite my tongue a lot at places like TKD class. One of the women there is studying to be a medical administrator. She wrote a paper on the issue of people not vaxing. She is very pro-vax. I do think I said something about reading that many of the outbreaks of these supposedly dangerous diseases seem to be among vaxed children. I also usually comment that I've read the diseases aren't really all that dangerous. I don't ever say that my kids aren't vaxed, though. It's not their business and I don't want to deal with the stares and questions. I already get enough of that wrt home birth. It's pretty funny that no matter how many times I mention my MW and say I'm not going to any hospital, no one seems to remember that. It's like they block it out or something.

#20 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
 It's pretty funny that no matter how many times I mention my MW and say I'm not going to any hospital, no one seems to remember that. It's like they block it out or something.

Right?  People forget!  Like within a DAY.  I must have had the homebirth convo with one of my coworkers at least twice.  When I opened up my shower gifts at work, one was a blue gown for the baby and she said, "That gown is perfect for the hospital!" duh.gif

Haha, and I don't think he'll come in 3 weeks.  Maybe 4. winky.gif

#21 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 AM

Will have to watch those videos later this afternoon when my kids are involved with something else.

Here's my major concern right now with Ava's position. At the ultrasound on Friday, her left foot is pretty much hanging out at my right hip bone and her right foot is up by her head. So there's nothing over my cervix. For me, that seems as though the risk of cord prolapse would be pretty high if I started dilating before my water broke. I'll talk to my OB about it on Friday and have him check me then to see if I've started dilating. If I have, I am seriously considering scheduling the birth for next week. But again, I'll talk to him about it on Friday. I've only talked to my MFM so far since the last ultrasound on Friday. He's actually the one that was encouraging me to schedule as close to my due date as possible to give her a chance to turn. My OB's main concern is about cord prolapse and honestly that's my biggest concern right now too based on her position.

#22 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Yeah, if you could get her bum down in there settled, then you might even have a chance at delivering her breech vaginally... but you're right, you've got to weigh the chances of something settling in there before her bum does (or her head!)

I would deliver a breech at home with a midwife, however the footling is a hard hurdle to go over, and that would definately be hospital for me, and almost certainly a planned c-section. But like I said, with a non-footling breech, I would feel comfortable delivering vaginally, and most likely at home, after having spent lots of time reading up on different techniques, etc. But it all goes out the window with footling and the chances of cord prolapse. 

I crochet... but even though I've been doing it for years, It's still primitive. They always look wonderful while in progress, but once finished I hold them up, and they always look so uneven and amateur. lol. It doesn't really matter, as once it's on the baby, it will provide warmth, which is what matters... and you probably won't be able to see much of the flaws... And I can't seem to do booties or hats. They just are never shaped or sized properly, no matter what I do!

Yes, it was definately a hold your breath moment when she made it clear she thought there were twins in there, and such a relief when there was just one. And so nice to be able to take a quick peek! It's bad now though because we both have boy in our minds, and we're going to be surprised now if it's a girl. Not disappointed, but just having to reframe your mind, you know? 

I don't have any friends around who have children, only aquaintances and family members. Our family are all pretty darn mainstream. I got into a semi fight a few weeks ago with my SIL and BIL about the safety of homebirth, as well as the whole issue of GBS, and how it's funny that it's so much less common everyone BUT the states and Canada. It gives me an idea of what the future holds for us. It drives me nuts though when people argue about things that they obviously haven't researched outside of reading what to expect. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#23 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Right?  People forget!  Like within a DAY.  I must have had the homebirth convo with one of my coworkers at least twice.  When I opened up my shower gifts at work, one was a blue gown for the baby and she said, "That gown is perfect for the hospital!" duh.gif

Haha, and I don't think he'll come in 3 weeks.  Maybe 4. winky.gif

Haha! Did you say then you'd have to find someone to visit in a hospital? lol.gif

4 weeks still could be before me, though. I've still got 3 weeks and 4 days until I get to my 40w edb. Isn't yours not until 8/18? I'll message you when I go into labor so you can start to, but not before then. winky.gif

The PA I saw about my sinuses asked something about my OB. I told her I didn't have an OB. I see a MW. She said it's all the same to her. I might think that's a good thing except for the way she said it. I don't like the attitude that it's automatically assumed that you see an OB if you are pg and seeing a MW is really no different.

#24 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ack! I keep missing posts as I'm trying to reply because I keep getting distracted and pulled away from the computer.

Annie ~ Those aren't videos. They're birth stories with pictures. Still might be something you'd want to wait on viewing after the kids are occupied with something else. I don't mind my ds seeing stuff like that but I don't have to deal with another parent. He just thought it was icky.

From what I was just reading, cord prolapse may not be quite as dangerous as most US OBs lead us to believe. There was some stuff about how the cord is more probably not completely pinched off during a breech birth except for when the head is completely engaged and then the baby can be fully out pretty quickly. You have to make sure the arms are not up by the head and no one is trying to pull or otherwise force the baby out. And the whole issue about the cervix clamping down on the head after the body is out is most likely associated with either preterm babies whose heads are much bigger than their bodies and when pushing a full term baby starts before the cervix is fully dilated. The midwife info I read said it's safe protocol to have the mother breathe through pushing for an hour in those cases to make sure the cervix is completely dilated.

Again, though, it all ultimately comes down to having someone knowledgeable and experienced enough to know all of that. I doubt most OBs these days are and they probably wouldn't be very open to us providing them the info. The story about the unassisted footling breech birth was cool. The dad seemed to have enough sense to know that mom needed to push the baby out quickly but not to try to do much of anything himself. They didn't know baby was breech at all but I guess that goes along with doing UC because most women don't get any prenatal care for that.

#25 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 12:38 PM

I saw, I don't know if it was a freebirthing show or other sort of thing on discovery health (before Oprah took that channel over) where a women UC's footling breech TWINS in the bathtub. how amazing! I mean, delivering footling breech babies is possible, but just has some inherent challenges. If it were me, I would do a version -followed by an induction if necessary - and if that didn't work, then a c-section. Though I would probably wait until my cervix was pretty favorable (good Bishop score) before attempting the version. But that is me. We all have to make the choices we are most comfortable with.

The rare times it comes up; I really try to inform/educate about my choices or others choices without sounding judgey about it. It's hard though, especially if I think the decisions were kind of silly ones - or made based on no or bad info. mostly I just bite my tongue.

MW: fx your little man (Dylan?) comes close to the DD.

#26 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

It's so hard for me, sometimes, to make decisions about such things because there is so much conflicting info. I have a hard time trusting medical info and things that doctors tell me because I don't think they are knowledgeable about anything outside medicine. They only know what they've been taught and told in medical school and don't usually take the time to read up on different info. On the Ronnie Falco website, there were a few doctors who admitted that it's all pretty much controlled by insurance liability and the legal system rather than what is truly best for mother and baby. That site is hard to navigate, though, and confuses me even more sometimes.

I even question my vax decisions periodically. I mean, it seems most people get vaxed and don't have problems, although there aren't any long-term studies to find out if vaxes cause other health problems later in life. I read an article a week or so ago about how there appears to be a correlation between the rise in vaxes and the rise in allergies and childhood diabetes that used to be almost exclusively an adult disease. But then I think, even if vaxes are safe, are they really necessary? I read up on the diseases on the CDC website and just don't get that they are these huge, life threatening diseases. There is some risk as with any illness but most children survive them without much trouble. shrug.gif

I guess we're going with Dylan. I haven't come up with anything better that dh will agree to. I'm still not really liking Dylan Sloan, though. DH says he likes it so whatever. What do you all think of Dylan Reid? I don't know that I like that, either, but I came across Reid as a middle name I had picked a while back. DS2 is not happy about Dylan at all. He says he likes Brenden. I told him to tell Daddy about that. winky.gif hehe

#27 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Will have to watch those videos later this afternoon when my kids are involved with something else.

Here's my major concern right now with Ava's position. At the ultrasound on Friday, her left foot is pretty much hanging out at my right hip bone and her right foot is up by her head. So there's nothing over my cervix. For me, that seems as though the risk of cord prolapse would be pretty high if I started dilating before my water broke. I'll talk to my OB about it on Friday and have him check me then to see if I've started dilating. If I have, I am seriously considering scheduling the birth for next week. But again, I'll talk to him about it on Friday. I've only talked to my MFM so far since the last ultrasound on Friday. He's actually the one that was encouraging me to schedule as close to my due date as possible to give her a chance to turn. My OB's main concern is about cord prolapse and honestly that's my biggest concern right now too based on her position.

joy.gif  That's exciting!  I think I'd be doing the same thing, in all honestly. Vaginal birth is wonderful but I feel there is a time and place for intervention, be it by c-section or otherwise.  I also think it's hella exciting you might have Ava in your arms that soon! 

Quote:

Haha! Did you say then you'd have to find someone to visit in a hospital? lol.gif

4 weeks still could be before me, though. I've still got 3 weeks and 4 days until I get to my 40w edb. Isn't yours not until 8/18? I'll message you when I go into labor so you can start to, but not before then. winky.gif

The PA I saw about my sinuses asked something about my OB. I told her I didn't have an OB. I see a MW. She said it's all the same to her. I might think that's a good thing except for the way she said it. I don't like the attitude that it's automatically assumed that you see an OB if you are pg and seeing a MW is really no different.

Haha I was like, "But...I'm not going to the hospital!" and she goes, "Oh, oh right! Duh!  It'll be cute for at home then!" it's just stupid how fast people forget.  It's pretty radical and different to just let it slip your mind, you know?

I've still got 6 weeks til I'm due, correct.  EDD is 8/16.  Nora came at 39 weeks.  I think my mw's assumption was just based off 37 weeks being term, not that I was looking like I was going to have him in 3 weeks.  Haha, though if she could know that sort of thing, she'd be a much richer woman, for sure!

I forgot to mention that I brought up the SPD with her.  We talked at length about it, and talked about labor positions.  She said a simple "test" to determine if it's indeed my sympysis pubis that is separated is after the birth, see if I can walk backwards without pain.  If I have pain when I walk  forwards but not backwards, it's SPD.  If not, it's just typical creaky hips.  So, she isn't too concerned now.  She mentioned doing chiro or massage, but again noted it would only be temporary relief.  I told her how with Nora, I would go to the chiro and by the time I got home I felt sore and creaky again!  She said that's the unfortunate thing about adjustments.  They just pop back in if that's the natural state of things.

Oh she did say one other interesting thing.  The maladies and things we really suffer with during pregnancy seem to be a good sign of what will be our problems when we are elderly.  She said it'll be very important for me in the long run to make sure I take calcium and vitamin D, and keep my bones strong so I don't need a hip replacement when I'm old.  Haha!  I 

Quote:
I guess we're going with Dylan. I haven't come up with anything better that dh will agree to. I'm still not really liking Dylan Sloan, though. DH says he likes it so whatever. What do you all think of Dylan Reid? I don't know that I like that, either, but I came across Reid as a middle name I had picked a while back. DS2 is not happy about Dylan at all. He says he likes Brenden. I told him to tell Daddy about that. winky.gif hehe

Don't settle!  I like Dylan.  I like Dylan Reid better than Dylan Sloan based on sound alone, but you have to go with your gut.  Or just don't decide yet!  Wait til he's born.

#28 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've still got 6 weeks til I'm due, correct.  EDD is 8/16.  Nora came at 39 weeks.  I think my mw's assumption was just based off 37 weeks being term, not that I was looking like I was going to have him in 3 weeks.

When did 37w become full term? I always thought it was 38w. I know I've asked this a couple of times but no one has answered me. Does anyone know?
Quote:

I forgot to mention that I brought up the SPD with her.  We talked at length about it, and talked about labor positions.  She said a simple "test" to determine if it's indeed my sympysis pubis that is separated is after the birth, see if I can walk backwards without pain.  If I have pain when I walk  forwards but not backwards, it's SPD.  If not, it's just typical creaky hips.

How did the test go? Did you determine that it is, in fact, SPD?
Quote:

Don't settle!  I like Dylan.  I like Dylan Reid better than Dylan Sloan based on sound alone, but you have to go with your gut.  Or just don't decide yet!  Wait til he's born.

Either way I'm settling because I can't get dh to agree to the names I really like. No one IRL likes Dylan.

#29 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:

When did 37w become full term? I always thought it was 38w. I know I've asked this a couple of times but no one has answered me. Does anyone know?

How did the test go? Did you determine that it is, in fact, SPD?

Either way I'm settling because I can't get dh to agree to the names I really like. No one IRL likes Dylan.

Even when I was pg with Nora (in '08) 37 weeks was term and was the cut off for home birth.

Test gets done after he's born, unfortunately.  

And bah humbug on settling!  I really do like Dylan.  It's classic, it's timeless, it's not trendy.  It matches your other boys names well.  It's a good name.  

#30 of 373 Old 07-05-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

I found this comparing death rates of babies born at what they call early term, 37-38w, vs. term, 39-40w.

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/may2011/nichd-23.htm

It says babies born at early term were twice as likely to die within the first year than babies born at term.

Well, what good does the test do for you if you can't do it until after birth? The SPD will probably resolve itself then, anyway, won't it?

Tags
Maternity Vitamins Nutrition , Motherhood Maternity , Expressiva Nursingwear Budget Softcup Maternity Nursing Bra , Motherhood Maternity Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page