Any sewing mamas with advice about bridesmaid dress? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'll be just starting my 26th week at my sister-in-law's wedding over Labor Day weekend.  We got pregnant literally weeks after ordering the dress.  I ordered a size up since we knew we were going to start trying and sure enough got pregnant on the first try.  With our history, we were a bit surprised (though pleasantly so) but the dress just arrived today and sure enough, it's huge in the bust but does not zip.  At. all.  I'm 18 weeks now and probably need about 3 more inches of belly fabric for this dress. 

I have a good tailor and I'm going to take the dress to her later this week for an opinion, but I'm wondering in the meantime, is this dress even salvageable?

Some ideas are to take the material from the extra length in my other sister-in-law's dress to add to this one.  Or to scrap it all together and rush order a significantly bigger size and remake from there.  Any other ideas? 

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#2 of 3 Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 AM

My sister was seriously pregnant for my wedding, and found out after we bought the dresses. We were able to add a panel in the back, and added some loops that came already on twill, some ribbon, and it looked like the dress was made with a corseted back. Everyone asked where we found the dress. I would see if there is any way to add a panel to it on the sides or the back. If you need more length, a few layers of ruffled crinoline or tulle might work.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 3 Old 07-22-2011, 04:15 PM

Definitely loose the zipper and have them put in eyelets or loops in it's place and lace it up the back instead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page