Perfect prenatal vitamin??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, I know, maybe it doesn't exist, but I want something without artificial ingredients (including food colorings), without herbs and preferably once a day. I'd also prefer a reputable (well known?) brand.

I've tried Rainbow light and Vita-natal and they give me diarrhea.

Nearly everything at the drug store has artificial food dyes--why the heck do I need my vitamin to be hot pink???

Any that people like? Could be Rx or OTC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 AM

I like Thorne Prenatals. You can buy them from various places online.

#3 of 10 Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 AM

I love Garden of Life's Raw Prenatal! it's the only prenatal that doesn't make me sick :)  The only downside that I've been able to find with it is that my naturopath said that the cal/mag is a little low in it, so I'm taking a liquid cal/mag as well.

heartbeat.gif~Cowgirl Momma to 3 amazing boys  & adding a new babyf.gifin July 2014~heartbeat.gif 
#4 of 10 Old 07-16-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSTC View Post

I love Garden of Life's Raw Prenatal! it's the only prenatal that doesn't make me sick :)

I love these too! Was a little freaked out when I first saw them, because I have trouble with swallowing pills and they are BIG, but the capsules slide right down no problem. I used to take the New Chapter, but prefer the GoL now.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#5 of 10 Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garden of Life RAW Prenatals are THE BEST!!  They are FOOD BASED, so they actually do your body some good. http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Raw-Prenatal-capsules/dp/B002JOVOVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310969249&sr=8-1 

Highly recommend!!   O, and I dont think they are big.  They are average I would say.  They are smaller than the One A Day prenatals (which have antifreeze in them BTW).  And as long as you are getting some calcium in your diet you dont need to take an extra supplement.  I prefer raw goats milk to get more cal/mag.  Green veggies have it as well:)

Also, Carlson Labs DHA is the best out there.  http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-Elite-Omega-3-Gems-Fish-Oil-BOGO 

(this site has a ton of awesome organic foods and stuff, the $49 needed for free shipping is easy to reach!)

#6 of 10 Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM

I don't usually take a prenatal, but Garden of Life ARE the best. All there supplements and whatnot are GREAT. :) Raw goodness!

I eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables to get those live enzymes to me and the baby, and I think that really makes a difference as far as optimum pregnancy nutrition.  The only supplement I take is iron.. because I'm anemic, and even more so when pregnant.

Christian Texan Mama to Merika (5/2005), Nolyn (1/2007), Keagan (UC baby 9/2007), Four miscarried lovelies, and sweet Evangeline Rose who arrived 9/7/2010 (home/water birth).  Expecting our fifth blessing March 2012! Viva la Vegan Pregnancy, my friends! 
Mandymom.com

#7 of 10 Old 07-25-2011, 07:49 PM

I have food allergies, and these are safe for me http://www.supernutritionusa.com/productpages/simply_one_prenatal.html

they do recommend extra calcium/magnesium with them

#8 of 10 Old 07-27-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I tried the prenatal mentioned in the PP made by Super Nutrition and I did not like it at all.  It is a huge horse pill and made me really sick, had a very bad strong taste, and it is not whole foods based.  That is just my experience but I would NOT recommend it!

#9 of 10 Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 PM

Lately I've been buying the store-brand prenatal vitamin at Whole Foods. I'm happy enough with it and more importantly make sure to eat a varied healthy diet. I just can't bring myself to spend $25 on some of the other brands for a month's worth of prenatals!

chicken3.gif     2008.2011.2014      homeschool.gif
#10 of 10 Old 07-30-2011, 10:51 PM

If you're not opposed to gummi vitamins, I'm taking VitaFusion Prenatal with DHA and folic acid. No herbs, two gummis once a day, and they taste like...uh, gummis. Not like vitamins, is my point--my first pregnancy, I got sicker from the nasty vitamin aftertaste than I did morning sickness! The vitamins are colored, but they're colored with carrot, black carrot, and blueberry juice, which is ok by me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page