I am 22 weeks pregnant with twins. My official due date suppose to be 28.11.2011. Me and my husband are from different nationalities. I flyed to my country to visit my family when I was 16 weeks pregnant and now I suppose to fly back. The doctors wont recommend it. They say that it is a big threath to go into labor in the airplane due to difference of air pressure in the cabin and if that will happen no medicine nowadays cant save my babies. My flight will be 11 hours. So far I have had trouble free pregnancy. I love my husband very much and I would like to be with him when the babies will be born. For him to come to my country is very difficult due to visa problems. Please ladies, I need your thoughts and advices..what would you do? Would you fly or not?
I would totally fly... and do it earlier than later. The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists says it's okay to fly up to 36 weeks, as long as your pregnancy is otherwise healthy... with twins it might be a little earlier, but 22 weeks would be early enough for me. What country are you in? Some cultures might differ in their approach to medicine, pregnancy and recommendations... some of those differences are based on facts, some are not. I can't offer you a solution, but it sounds unreasonable to me to restrict flight at 22 weeks if your pregnancy is otherwise healthy.
Here is a link I found on the subject: http://www.pregnancy-info.net/wellbeing_flying.html
Thank you for your advice! I am from Estonia. It is a small country in north of Europe and my husband is from Ecuador. So that is where I want to fly- to Ecuador. Well, it is true that doctors here couldnt really explain to me what exactly might happen. They just said it is better not to fly, because it is a big risk that I can lose the babies :(
I did read that if the airplane doesn't have appropriate pressure in the cabin like most commercial airlines these days do, the risk of preterm labor could be increased if you are closer to your due date... I have not read anything at all about any other risks though... the womb is a pretty good insulator for our little ones. :)
Thank you! I got a lot of positive energy from this forum :) I still havent made my final decision. I think I will see how I feel during the weekend. If I feel fine, I will fly. My flight suppose to be on monday!!
|48 members and 20,789 guests|
|Anne Jividen , averysmomma05 , bananabee , beep , bugmenot , Deborah , emmy526 , girlspn , hillymum , imoverit , japonica , jcdfarmer , JElaineB , jeslynn , joycef , katelove , Katherine73 , kathymuggle , keepingFAITH , Kelleybug , lilmissgiggles , lisak1234 , Lydia08 , mamabear0314 , Mamalari , mckittre , Mirzam , moominmamma , Mylie , MylittleTiger , NaturallyKait , newmamalizzy , oaksie68 , otterandsun_mama , philomom , rocky , RollerCoasterMama , rubelin , shantimama , sidrajedi , siennaflower , sren , Sugarbaby416 , tifga , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|