Pregnant Vegans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Heya,

I just found out I'm pregnant with my second a week or so back (due March 22).  I'm pretty excited, though part of me remembers that there were some long nights that first year that I'm hoping will be easier with all my OJT. :)  My son and I are vegan, my husband is while at home but I'm not sure what he eats on his own. 

I really liked chatting with the other vegan pregnant ladies with my last pregnancy (my son is 22 months now), so I'm giving this a shot.  I think I'm starting to get my early food queasiness issues but I hope it doesn't get as bad as last time. Seemed like my diet was saltines for  a month. :P 

I think my kick right now is kimchi and bland stuff with spicy salsa.  We have a minimal kitchen right now because we should be moving this weekend.  It might be a good thing as I can then just think of what sounds good and hit up a restaurant.  Club sandwich, tacos, and a 'fishwich' I think are my most recent purchases. 

All the best to all the ladies out there!  I'd love to hear what you're eating, how you're feeling, etc!

#2 of 12 Old 07-26-2011, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not vegan anymore.. I'm lacto-vegetarian these days.. I'm also gluten free, so most of my go-to pregnancy snacks (veggie burgers, PB&J sandwiches, etc) are off limits now. My 2 older kids are mostly vegan (although I've been sharing my lacto-veg food with them these days).. they are vegan with their father, and my DF is Omni, but eats veg with us at home. We're also going to raise this baby veg too :)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#3 of 12 Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 AM

I am vegan, and just found out today that I am pregnant with #2!! This is a good idea, since I fell to pressure from in-laws during my last pregnancy to eat dairy and fish again, and I am determined not to do that this time around!! My daughter is vegan while at my house and my husband, we say, is cheese away from being vegan, lol.

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

#4 of 12 Old 07-26-2011, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hi!

Sierrabella  -  That must be difficult to try to find new foods when the body is so particular during pregnancy I find!  I'm wondering if you can have pb and cellery or something as a substitute? For some reason that sounds really good to me right now.. How's your pregnancy been treating you?

Ravensong- i feel the pressure too just in how they respond and even in the awkward silence my parents seem to do if they don't say anything (ILs are all across country, so not so much a problem there).  But I think because DS looks so healthy (and it didn't hurt that he was such a big healthy baby at birth), it doesn't really get talked about.  I wish it could be considered a normal diet to them but alas! I hope that didn't come out too negatively.  My mom can be quite supportive.  She'll typically make me some sort of dish that everyone else uses as a side and it's my main if we do a dinner over there (quinoa salads, chickpea soup, etc) but talking about diets can be a bit of a lost cause.  Good luck on sticking to it and I hope they don't pressure you too much!  When are you due? 

#5 of 12 Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megame View Post

Hi!

Sierrabella  -  That must be difficult to try to find new foods when the body is so particular during pregnancy I find!  I'm wondering if you can have pb and cellery or something as a substitute? For some reason that sounds really good to me right now.. How's your pregnancy been treating you?

Ravensong- i feel the pressure too just in how they respond and even in the awkward silence my parents seem to do if they don't say anything (ILs are all across country, so not so much a problem there).  But I think because DS looks so healthy (and it didn't hurt that he was such a big healthy baby at birth), it doesn't really get talked about.  I wish it could be considered a normal diet to them but alas! I hope that didn't come out too negatively.  My mom can be quite supportive.  She'll typically make me some sort of dish that everyone else uses as a side and it's my main if we do a dinner over there (quinoa salads, chickpea soup, etc) but talking about diets can be a bit of a lost cause.  Good luck on sticking to it and I hope they don't pressure you too much!  When are you due? 

It's been hard! I did get some rice crackers and doing PB&J on those. Right now I am munching on walnuts and cranberries.. I just stocked up on good healthy munchy foods and sometimes I get GF veg Amy's TV dinners for when I am starving and need to eat something ASAP.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#6 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Hi!

Thankfully I now have different in-laws and a really supportive dh! We haven't told them yet ( I am hoping my fil is supportive) since I really just found out for sure that I am pregnant yesterday, lol.

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

#7 of 12 Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 AM

I can't eat bread or bready things for other reasons (assumed GD) and I am ovo-lacto vegetarian. Just wanted to chime in re easy veg snacky food, that I sometimes make my own seed crackers from soaked chia seeds, or from this recipe: http://girlgoneprimal.blogspot.com/2010/02/recipe-sunflower-sesame-crackers.html

These are a both a bit of work, but not too bad, and sealed up keep well. I like that they are good and quick with spreads (hummos or PB usually, for me) and are high in protein.

I also eat eggs and I like coconut flour bread and coconut-almond buscuits (from the same girl gone primal blog), which have lots of egg so not good for vegans!

dissertating mom to three

#8 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Another pregnant vegan here. My son turned 22 months today. smile.gif

Snacks are a challenge for me this time because I can't bring nuts into my work place. (We manufacture allergen free foods, so even though I don't work on the production floor, I can't even bring them in the building.). They were a big part of my plan to healthy snack this time. Doh. I have been bringing in hummus and vegetables a lot (good for all day grazing), soy yogurts, Odwalla "original protein" bars, roasted chickpeas... Thinking about trying baked tofu cubes (or sticks?) but I'm not sure how that'll go for eating at my desk.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#9 of 12 Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Heya, so I just got my email today from babycentre that the baby is now the size of a lentil (6 weeks). Starting to notice the morning sickness.  Hunger comes up strong and fast and I eat as soon as I can after I get that pang. Funny though, I typically love fake meats but tonight we went to thai and I knew I wanted an avocado curry and the drunken noodles, but my hubby was hoping to mix it up with some dish that had some mock meat in it,and something about the idea of it really queased me out (hard to write about even). I'm hoping MS is not as bad as last time. I just wanted to lay on my bed all day, which was so easy without any little ones around.

emma- thanks for the links.  those crackers look good!

Coldandsleepy!  Our DSs are only a day apart!  Mine had his 22month mark on the 27th! Oh yes, I see the dilemma with tofu sticks.  I'm going to think on that.. I just keep thinking of these buffalo tofu sticks a restaurant does.. There's a lady at a school I was at that was deathly allergic to citrus so they banned all citrus in the whole middle school.  That has to be a tough allergy.  I wonder if I had one like that if I would just be super paranoid all the time?

#10 of 12 Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Heya, so I just got my email today from babycentre that the baby is now the size of a lentil (6 weeks). Starting to notice the morning sickness.  Hunger comes up strong and fast and I eat as soon as I can after I get that pang. Funny though, I typically love fake meats but tonight we went to thai and I knew I wanted an avocado curry and the drunken noodles, but my hubby was hoping to mix it up with some dish that had some mock meat in it,and something about the idea of it really queased me out (hard to write about even). I'm hoping MS is not as bad as last time. I just wanted to lay on my bed all day, which was so easy without any little ones around.

I am having the same issue with mock meats and cheeses. Thank the Gods they're not a necessity, lol. 

#11 of 12 Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Well, I'm almost done (38 weeks) but hi fellow vegan mamas!  I'm like 99.9% vegan this pregnancy.  Had a few cravings I could not ignore, but never caved and ate meat or fish.  Only a smidge of dairy, and the indiscretions never made me question my beliefs.  It's definitely possible to have a healthy vegan pregnancy!  

I really slacked on protien for most of this pg, unfortunately, but really ramped it up and was able to get to about 100 g per day pretty easily with Boca burgers, protein shakes, cliff Builder bars, and of course the usual beans, legumes, peanut butter, and various veggie meat products.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#12 of 12 Old 07-30-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

yay babycakes!   Is it feeling good to be so close to the end of the pregnancy?  Are you anxious?  Happy healthy delivery thoughts to you!

I'm starting to get even more particular about foods etc.  My stomach is shrinking and I'm turning into a grazer, which is hard because nothing sounds particularly great (I'm a broken record here) and I also have this I-ate-too-many-carbs bloated feeling too.  So yeah, mostly I'm just waiting for my ultrasound, I think on the ninth. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page