August 2011 Whatever Ladies Having Babies - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had bought a box of the huggies nb and we used them the first week, alternating with size 1's.  The nb ones were so short on him, and of course we had the leaking issue b/c I had no idea I was supposed to point his penis down.  Now he's in size 1's and it's so much better since his belly button is healed now we don't have to fold them down.  We still have half the box of nbs!  Oh well.  I also didn't spend a lot on nb diapers -- I don't think I bought any this time around, I only had what I had from Nora.  Good thing too, since he doesn't fit them.

Kennedy is such a cute girls name!  But I have to say I like Harper best out of those for a first name.  love.gif  It does help to meet them.  Once Finn was here, we really did throw around the names we had (Logan, Nicolas, Gideon, Lincoln) before really deciding on anything, but he's just, he's Finn.  It fit like a glove.  He doesn't look like a Logan at all!!  Family's reaction to his name has been interesting.  I can tell we threw them for a loop with our choice.  Everyone hesitantly asks, "Where did you come up with Finnley???" with this sort of edge to their voice, and I just laugh and say we loved the name, or that I loved the idea of a little boy named Finn.  And Dax gets lots of, "Oh, wow, where did you come up with that?" sort of response too.  

My MIL I don't think liked the name at all when she first heard it but I think it's growing on her.  She never said anything, of course, but I can just tell.  She said at one point, "And if he doesn't like Finn he can always go by Dax."  and then she sort of backtracked and stammered a bit.  Haha!  Love it.  I'm so glad we kept the name to ourselves before he was born!  It would have hurt to hear they didn't like it, which would have sucked b/c I LOVE it and would have used it regardless.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

I completely forgot about wet bags. I have 2 small wet bags for the diaper bag and 3 large wet bags for the diaper pails. I'm going to get one more large wet bag since I have two diaper pails now.

I haven't bothered to sun my dipes yet. Too much work. The nice thing about BM stains is that sun will get them out almost every time no matter how long they sit. And, like I said before, I have had no meconium staining even without sunning.

I've lost probably 8-12 dipes because my old hemp dipes that I got back from my friend cause D to get a yeast rash. I was told I could try boiling them to kill the yeast but I haven't had time yet. irked.gif

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 PM

I found 36 orange-edged GMD prefolds and 12 covers for $50 on craigslist. I sunned the stained ones and now they are all perfectly white. I plan to bleach them and wash them multiple times afterwards just to disinfect them before baby comes. I haven't figured out what covers to use yet. I don't like a whole bunch of different kinds. I like to stick to one type of cover! The box came with Diaperaps (I already donated them), Bummis (these *always* leak for me in the past) and Thirsties (I remember liking these in the past but these are a bit broken-in so I'll probably need to replace them). I'm just so tempted to use these covers at first and then go straight to Fuzzibunz smalls once my baby is out of newborn. I always went back to FB in the past. I wish I could find them without microfiber. I really want bamboo inserts and preferably bamboo lining! Ooohh, that would be good. I found an Ebay seller who offers bamboo inserts for much less than I've been able to find at WAHM sites. I also found these bamboo/PUL pockets called Yo Yoos but I heard that bamboo linings wear out a lot faster than microfleece ones...anyone have any first-hand experience??

JJ--I love Harper and Kennedy. I do like Harper better. They've been on my girl name list in the past! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

i prefer hemp to bamboo. if they are still being made, joeybunz makes some nice hemp inserts that fit FBs perfectly. they may be made specifically for FBs. i can't remember. you can always use your PFs, too. they don't fit as well in the FBs but they work.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-28-2011, 12:01 AM

ARGH! So we're just slowly telling people one by one that baby is indeed a girl. Everyone has been great so far, with the exception of well, the one person we knew was going to be stupid. DH's oldest sister, who has four children, the last of whom is the only boy in the family, commented on our news by stating "hmm. Well it looks like M---- will be the only boy then. look at that." And then she continued on by talking about how oooh christmas was going to be so exciting-- but she wasn't talking about how we'll have a new 3 week old baby, but rather "oh yes, there will be two babies at christmas this year". Ok... her son will be 6 months old at Christmas. He's been through half a dozen family gatherings already. He's not new anymore! lol. It's just so annoying that she can't just be happy for us, and let us have our moment. She's turned the whole thing, right from our pregnancy announcement, into being about her, and how our news/excitement doesn't matter somehow because xyz... 

Anyways... vent over. How is everyone holding up storm-wise? DH has had CNN on all day off and on, but I can't seem to focus on it, and all the areas that have been hit/are still waiting. 

For diapers, I think I'll just keep an eye out for a great deal on newborn size, but if we don't find them, then no biggie. I'm kicking myself, because a few weeks ago, someone was telling 10 kissaluvs size 0 for I think it was like $40. And I asked DH, and he talked me out of them. Now they're obviously sold.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 08-28-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

jj ~ i was going to ask if u r open to used CDs. you can save a significant amount of money that way. i have one NB dipe you can have. not sure how much good one dipe will do you but you are welcome to it. it's a muttaqin. i can't remember if it's bamboo or hemp.

sorry about the SIL. try to just ignore her. or, you could always call her out on it and then blame it on pg hormones. hehe

Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

For diapers, I think I'll just keep an eye out for a great deal on newborn size, but if we don't find them, then no biggie. I'm kicking myself, because a few weeks ago, someone was telling 10 kissaluvs size 0 for I think it was like $40. And I asked DH, and he talked me out of them. Now they're obviously sold.

I'll sell you my KL 0's if you want them!  I tried one on Finn and they do fit, but maybe only for another few weeks.  Once he's out of them they're yours if you want them.  I have 6 and they're the "girl" colors, peach, purple...we can figure out a price if you're interested.

That SIL is annoying!  Grr.  Thunder stealer.  Don't pay her any mind!!  LOL!

I'm starting to think about BC.  I'm not sure what I/we want to do.  Originally I was opposed to anything hormonal but the mini-pill is looking like a good option right now.  We aren't ready for anything permanent, and I've already gone the IUD route and hated it.  Condoms will work in the meantime, but ... idk.  What is everyone else doing?  Just planning on charting?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Just charting for us I think with condoms the occasional time. But DH knows that a lot of the time, is the choice is condom, or no sex-- for me it's no sex. I hate them that much. And I won't go on anything hormonal. My cycles are so normal, that charting should hopefully continue to be pretty easy for us after the birth. And if not, I'm open to another baby (DH not as much yet...) so I'm ok taking that chance. 

I told DH that he needs to just call her out next time she says something, and he's always gung ho about it, and then backs down. For instance, we're not telling anyone our due date, just that it's "december" and baby will be here by Christmas. She called DH up yesterday and wanted to let him know that she's figured out exactly how far along I am, because she's been calculating based on pictures I've posted on FB. I mean really?? It has no effect on her what the due date is, but she was apparently so snippy and triumphant that she's 'figured it out'.  Not to mention, does she not think I'm smart enough to fudge the dates on the photos/post them late? 

Anyways, yes, definately open to used cloth. Only one I have is actually new, the others are all used. I'll have to sit down and have another talk with DH about whether he's serious about wanting to buy more diapers. The cheapest option would be to buy more prefolds and covers. Specfically covers I guess, since we bought two dozen microfibre cloths to use as inserts, that could totally be used inside a cover just as a prefold. I'm just not... sold on prefolds yet. I bought the ones we have, only because they were super cheap. But I'd rather have fitteds/pockets, etc. 

I also started looking at longies and wool soakers yesterday. They're so expensive, but I think I want at least one pair of cutesy longies for the winter. 

In randomness... I'm totally sold on Harper, but trying not to push DH on it, since he lean so much more heavily toward Kennedy, and I don't want him to feel like he's giving in. I've got three months to make him feel it was his choice again. lol.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 08-28-2011, 12:04 PM

ok so I pulled out all my dipes, and this is what I have... 

7 small pocket AMP (6-18lb)

6 OS pocket AMP (7-35lb)

7 small FB (7-18lb)

4 small no name dipes (won’t fit in the bummis covers, too wide)

4 medium FB (15-30lb)

4 NB kooshies (4-10lb)

2 preemie (4-9lb) bummis superbrite WW

10 organic cotton preemie prefolds

11 inserts for pockets

5 gauzey prefolds (newborn only)

24 microfibre cloth/inserts

I did some searching, and the girl that makes AMP's swears they should fit right from that 6-7lb range, unlike some that may say 6lbs, but not actually fit until closer to 10lbs. So if that does hold true, then I think I'm good, because she should be able to fit into the smalls and the OS fairly early. So in theory… 24 pocket/AIO, and 2 NB covers, plus about 15 inserts for those. So that leaves me close to 3 dozen, especially if I drum up an extra cover (or longies). 

Does this sound reasonable?

Old 08-28-2011, 01:08 PM

JJ - Harper and Kennedy are both on our list too - if we have a girl.  I was leaning more towards Kennedy since our two other dds both start with K, but when I see the two names together I think I like Harper Kennedy better than Kennedy Harper.  I had never though of putting the two together - they were just random names on our list!  

So how did everyone make out in the storm?  I haven't had the news on so I don't know where it made landfall and if it affected anyone on here.  We are getting the tropical storm here - so far just rain, we don't usually get much just a bad rain and wind storm but usually no damage - just makes for a good movie and crochet day!

SAHM to DD1 - 6 blahblah.gif, DD2- 3energy.gif,DS Oct 2011 babyboy.gif Wife to dh.   homeschool.giftoddler.gif  sleepytime.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 08-28-2011, 01:23 PM

JJ, sounds good to me. I actually like and don't mind prefolds and covers, so we are doing those mostly, with some disposables mixed in. I have:

19 newborn PF
20? Infant PF
3 NB etsy covers
3 S etsy covers
5 thirsties duo size 1
5 small AIO for when we need an easy cloth option.

Clothes wise, we are not so stocked as you are, but not bad

newborn
16 sleep n plays
4 outfits
6 onesies
4 pants
2 dresses
4 hats
6 gowns

0-3 months
19 sleep and plays
7 outfits
10ish onesies
3-4 pants

So I do need socks. And would not be opposed to a few more cute outfits, but we are pretty set.

I haven't inventoried the 3+ stash yet, but generally, we are ok there too.

I like Harper Kennedy, that way both you and DH are happy.

MW and Shannon, hope your homes weathered the storm ok.

No maternity pics tomorrow. DH just told me he plans on taking the morning class, and he wants to save $$ by doing the pics himself. I an actualyy pretty upset, because I really want professional ones this time. He doesn't get that. Grrrrrrrrr.

So whenever he can squeeze time in his schedule, I will have them. Oh, while I am venting, went to look for a basic top to wear for said pics, and the one I liked the most he said was "too clingy" I said, that's the point! To show off the bump, in case I don't want to show skin! Didn't buy anything.

JJ: sorry about your SIL. At least she kind of comments on your pregnancy. My sis barely acknowledges mine, and that's a near thing. Your DH should say something, or you can and I love the idea of blaming it on hormones!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 08-28-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **mom2one** View Post

So how did everyone make out in the storm?  I haven't had the news on so I don't know where it made landfall and if it affected anyone on here.  We are getting the tropical storm here - so far just rain, we don't usually get much just a bad rain and wind storm but usually no damage - just makes for a good movie and crochet day!

We did ok.  There's still a chance we'll lose power b/c the winds are really crazy, but so far we only got a bit of water in our basement from the french drains overflowing.  Our sump pump has been running nonstop.  My stroller walk route is under water.  greensad.gif

IMG_8445.jpg?t=1314560365

We put the kids in strollers and went to check out the "stream" we have by our house that we go over on our walks.  Yeah.  Completely under water.  The gazebo where Nora plays is half submerged.

IMG_8467.jpg?t=1314560558

And here's me and Finn on his first ever stroller walk on the OUTSIDE of my belly.  NM how crappy I look, the wind was crazy and I just wanted a pic for posterity. 

IMG_8441.jpg?t=1314560627

And my cutie pie...

IMG_8440.jpg?t=1314560891

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

No maternity pics tomorrow. DH just told me he plans on taking the morning class, and he wants to save $$ by doing the pics himself. I an actualyy pretty upset, because I really want professional ones this time. He doesn't get that. Grrrrrrrrr.

So whenever he can squeeze time in his schedule, I will have them. Oh, while I am venting, went to look for a basic top to wear for said pics, and the one I liked the most he said was "too clingy" I said, that's the point! To show off the bump, in case I don't want to show skin! Didn't buy anything.

Oh, bummer!!  I'm sorry, Kat. I hope you get some good pictures, regardless. 

Old 08-28-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

sorry about the photos, kat. could you use one of those coupons that's like $7.99 for a bunch of one pose? then you'd have at least one professional photo.

jj ~ it seems that you have enough dipes.

carrie ~ that flooding is crazy. worse than anything here. i lost a few more shingles from my roof and one door on the grill but that's it.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

sorry about the photos, kat. could you use one of those coupons that's like $7.99 for a bunch of one pose? then you'd have at least one professional photo.

jj ~ it seems that you have enough dipes.

carrie ~ that flooding is crazy. worse than anything here. i lost a few more shingles from my roof and one door on the grill but that's it.

Oh yeah, did you look at coupons?  You could skip the sitting fee and get like 1 sheet of prints and then you'll be set!  At least then you'll have something professional to frame!

Chris went out again sans kids to get some closer pics.  I can't wait to see what he comes back with.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:20 PM

I really think the issue isn't cost so much (as far as tomorrow's pics go) but the timing. I scheduled weeks ago, and DH asked about what time they were, and I said 10; he said he had planned to do the morning class. - it's his last week of school, so I may see if I can reschedule after next payday. The issue also came up because Bravado- which rarely does coupons - did a limited time 20% off coupon that expires tomorrow, and I really need a new basic nursing bra. after 15+ months of use my original one tore. Penney's does coupons all the time (also had one for them that expires tomorrow) so that's less of a priority.  I brought up at dinner tonight, well, when do you want to do pics, since obv not tomorrow, and he's like, you tell me  ... which ended up basically with him grudgingly saying we could do tomorrow. Well, no we can't because I cancelled the appointment earlier.

I honestly don't know if he's doing more to get on my nerves, or if my temper is just getting shorter, or some combination of the two. But I really didn't want to spend all of today mad at him - which I have - it's his birthday, and one of us should be in a good mood. Neither of us is. oh well.

Carrie, that's a lot of water! hope that little bit of flooding is all the damage you have to deal with!

MW: when will you head home?

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'm home now. I came home this afternoon. All is good. I lost a few shingles and a door off the grill but that's it. It's nice to be home. Although, my sis and her dh basically served us, which was so nice. I even fell asleep with D in the middle of the day and everyone let me sleep. They know how to be hosts.

I'd guess it's probably a combo of your hormones making you more irritable and his stress making him so. Men seem to have the same mood swings that we do. I think it's from the stress of having another baby whereas ours is from hormones. Can you do a walk in photo shoot? My local chain photographers take walk in. It really annoys me because I make an appointment and still have to wait a half hour because they took a walk in right before I got there. No reason for you not to do it, though. I'm actually much better at not making an appointment but then I don't want to have to wait if I walk in. Double-edged sword.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 AM

We may do that, maybe next week; I'm off tomorrow too, but already have a busy day. Nothing planned for today, so that's why I thought it would be good for pictures. I'm off next Monday and Tuesday. Funny thing is, when DH came to bed he asked what time pics were in the morning. I reminded him (I think for the 3rd time) that I cancelled them because he asked me to! whatever. So instead, today I'm nesting; laundry and what not. DH has my car, so I'm homebound, else I would love to get out of the house. There isnt' anywhere to go within walking distance.

Glad you didn't have much damage, and it sounds like the visit to your sis wasn't too bad - maybe being waited on for a day or so is just what you needed. Does Shannon have power back I wonder? It seems that DH's grandpa in Hubert was without it all weekend.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

I talked to Shannon on the phone Saturday. I can't remember if she said she had power or not. She did say they had minimal damage.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

annie ~ i was just on FF entering my weight and saw how you can start a new chart. it's under the data button at the top of your charting page.

carrie ~ to answer your now old question, i don't have any plans for bc right now. i don't need to worry about until next spring. i may do some lazy charting by just tracking CF and abstaining or using a condom. you don't think you use LAM at least for the first 6 months?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:

annie ~ i was just on FF entering my weight and saw how you can start a new chart. it's under the data button at the top of your charting page.

carrie ~ to answer your now old question, i don't have any plans for bc right now. i don't need to worry about until next spring. i may do some lazy charting by just tracking CF and abstaining or using a condom. you don't think you use LAM at least for the first 6 months?

Oooh thanks! I guess I will start it as CD 1 for DD's b-day and just mark all the PP bleeding. I hope I can remember when it stopped. I think I'm definitely gearing up to O if I didn't already today. Last night I was VERY interested in DTD. For now, we're using CM observations and W/D.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Carrie- Finn is scrumptious! That flooding is nuts. Wow. Once Irene got to us she was nothing more than a few gusts of wind and lots of rain. I went out with my friends to dinner and it was a ghost town around here though. 

AFM, I think I had SPD. I fell on a dock the other day (my leg went right between two dock planks---damn town needs to fix that and I plan on writing them). Anyway, I hit my butt hard and cut/bruised up my leg badly. Then 3 days later, I felt pelvic pressure. At first I thought I had a UTI or bladder issue but then I realized I only felt the discomfort when I moved, got tense from anger or lifted something. I looked high and low on the internet and it seems like SPD is what I have. I remember you guys mentioning this way back when...what's the deal?? should I see a chiropractor?? osteopath?? I'm sure my pelvis is all messed up from that fall. For those of you that had it, did you have pain in the area where your vulv@/cl!toris (had to do that so this doesn't end up in someone's google searchrolleyes.gif) starts....right behind that area in the bone?? 

MW--good point about using the prefolds to stuff the pockets! Why didn't I think of that! I now have my eyes on Softbums...they look nice with the bamboo snap-ins. Is bamboo sort of stay-dry??

JJ- I read that you aren't supposed to have the microfiber directly against baby's bottom. You might want to get some Cottonbabies/Bumgenius microfleece sleeves to stuff the microfiber towels in...you'll have a stay-dry insert then! Or you can get some microfleece by the yard and cut liners out. They don't need to be sewn. Sorry to hear about your SIL. I went through something similar with my SIL recently. She said some really negative things....it sounded like she really cared but all of her comments were meant to make the baby seem like a burden or a struggle for us. Weird. My other SIL overheard it too and came up to me later and confided that my SIL has been trying for a long time to get pregnant. I didn't know that but once I did, her negativity made sense. She even made fun of our top boy name nono.gif

Katrina--my DH is taking my belly shots too around month 7. I figure anything will look good in B&W! LOL 

Are we really talking about chart again already. It seems like just yesterday we were all on pins and needles wanting for each other's test pics! Crazy crazy crazy how fast this has gone by! We're screwed...DH had a vas reversal so he's not doing that again. We hate condoms and I'm not using hormonal pills, shots or patches. We have 5 kids once he's here...we're done! I think we're going to chart and pray that the Creator closes down my shop somehow! lol 

Here's my 20 weeks belly....my friend told me yesterday that I don't look pregnant! She even asked the waitress and the waitress agreed. Weird---I definitely see a good baby bump when I look down! I think my rear end is growing fast than my belly though! 

DSC06289.jpg

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 PM

Good to know about the microfibre! We bought them to use as inserts, so it's not something I had even thought of, since using them as prefolds was an afterthought. I can get DH's mom to pick up some fabric to cover/wrap them with for the rare times they'll be used 'not stuffed'. 

With my SIL I wish there were some reasonable explanation for it, but it's just her personality. She's known in the family as the thunder thief, and has well earned her reputation. When her younger sister got engaged, they called around and told everyone... and then an hour later, this sister announced her pregnancy. She could easily have waited a few days, since they had JUST found out, and let her sister have the spotlight for 24 hours, but she didn't. 

My doula/birth photographer recently commented on one of my FB belly shots that she wants to get together and shoot some photos. I'm super excited since there's no maternity photogs in our city that I like that DONT charge about $800 for a session. I'll end up paying my doula something I'm sure, but certainly not that much! (She isn't a doula or photographer by trade, she just enjoys both). 

I was poking around my inbox today and found a gift certificate for the local baby boutique I had forgotten about. It's for $50. Now I get to go think of something splurgey and guilt free to pick up! I had kind of been earmarking it for aden and anais blankets, but I'm good for those now. 

Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 AM

Looking pg to me, kinder!  I agree, b&w makes everything look fantastic, lol!!

JJ - score on that gift card!!  

re: LAM, I just don't trust it.  Plus we do use a paci and will eventually botte feed, and I'm hoping Finn goes back to his 3-4 hour stretches of sleep at night that he seems to be able to accomplish during the day with no trouble.  I'll probably wait for fertility signs before starting any bc.  I'd like to wait as long as possible and just use condoms until I feel like something else is necessary.  Another baby wouldn't be the end of the world but not right now, lol.  I can't see planning another pregnancy ever, but if one should accidentally happen, I wouldn't be angry.

Finn is already 2 weeks old today.  Where is the time going?  These newborn days go by so fast, in the blink of an eye.  Everything is such a blur -- prob a mix of sleep deprivation and just not getting much else accomplished.  I feel like all I do is sit around and nurse the baby!!  LOL!  

Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

kinder ~ i can see how someone might not realize you are pg. i know your belly is a baby bump cuz i know you are pg but it's so small and spread out it's hard to tell. not like those women who have very obvious round basketball looking bumps.

i'm not sure what you mean by stay-dry? are you talking about something similar to the polyester fleece and other materials used for the insides if pockets and for lining some dipes? if so, i think maybe bamboo could be made into a similar material. it's not really all that natural once it's processed into clothing fabric anymore. they have to call it bamboo viscose and my understanding is that viscose is very similar to a sythentic like polyester. but all the bamboo i have is just absorbent, not stay-dry. it feels very wet when it's peed on.

if you do have SPD, chiropractic probably won't help much. i was told it would help initially but wouldn't last even through the day of getting adjusted. i was told there isn't really anything you can do other than try to keep your knees together. i'm still suffering with it. it hurts for me to roll over in bed and scoot myself out of bed and i have a constant ache right at the center of my pubic bone, a little higher than where you described.

since your pain started after a fall, though, it might be helpful to get an adjustment in case it's not SPD. that might be one way to determine if it is SPD or not.

jj ~ nice score on the photos and GC.

carrie ~ ok, yeah, you can't rely on LAM if you bottle feed at all and possibly if you use a paci. i'm not sure how much the paci would affect things as long as babe still nurses at least every 4 hours during the day and every 6 hours at night. aren't those the time rules or is it 3 hours during the day? i'd think you could rely on it at least until you notice CF changes, though.

that is all you should do with a NB. too many expectations in our modern world for women to get back to work, whatever that work may be. in tribal/village societies the older children and women help the new mother with everything. that's what extended family is for. unfortunately, we don't stay close anymore so we don't get the help we should.

kinder ~ can you not use withdrawal and abstinence? it really is effective if you do it properly.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:

that is all you should do with a NB. too many expectations in our modern world for women to get back to work, whatever that work may be. in tribal/village societies the older children and women help the new mother with everything. that's what extended family is for. unfortunately, we don't stay close anymore so we don't get the help we should.

I agree!  I don't even want to do more than this.  I feel like this time is special and I'm just really getting to know him.  I wish it could stay like this.  Chris goes back to work tomorrow and though he's just upstairs I'm a little nervous about how things are going to go.  I'm not going to be ambitious at all this week.  No outings, maybe the backyard.  Maybe a walk.  I don't want to get overwhelmed.  I'm finding I get overwhelmed very easily - I think it's hormonal.

I'm thinking of hitting up a LLL meeting next week in my area.  I would love some friends IRL, but like I said, it's a bit intimidating thinking of taking the kids somewhere.  I wonder if I can leave Nora with Chris and just take Finn.  That seems much more doable until I get more practice handling both kids.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

It's been too hot for me to even take D in the backyard. A few nights I tried to sit on the front porch or the back deck after it cooled off a bit but then the mosquitoes were out and awful.

LLL meetings are pretty easy, here at least. Everyone is very comfortable with and understanding of LOs running around. Maybe check it out the first time with just Finn and, if it's as relaxed as here, it would be a perfect thing for you to try with both kids. I don't know how you can not bug your dh if he's just upstairs working. I'd probably drive Sean crazy asking for help with things if he were home all day. He'd never get any work done. lol.gif

Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM

We lost power Fri night & finally got it back last night.  Our estimate wasn't until late Thurs night...so glad we didn't have to wait that long!  Thank goodness for friends who washed diapers & had us over for hot food and air conditioning!  DH also picked up a generator from work on Sun so I think we saved most of the food.  We only had a little damage from the hurricane...lost a few sections of fence, a rip in one section of the screen porch & the arm on the screen porch got ripped out of the frame.  DH has already repaired everything, & the only expenses were 2 new fence posts plus cement.  Yay!  

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you are all ok. That is a long time to go without power!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:39 AM

Morning!

as for BC  - we plan on charting with condoms. I've considered an IUD . . . but really would rather not. With DS - granted we did use pacifiers, and he got a bottle (with breastmilk)  -but he nursed or I pumped every 3-4 hours, yet I still had fertile signs and my first PP AF by the time he was 4 months old. I think some women just stay infertile longer after babies; I have a friend who has done similiar to me and she only got her AF near the 1 year PP mark with all three babies, regardless of when they used a paci, or were bottle fed on occaision. So I don't really trust LAM. And since we do want a 3rd at some point, just not sure of the spacing, we are comfortable if we have an Ooops. When we are done, done, having kids - DH is getting snipped.

MW and Shannon, glad you both surviived ok, and have power! yay!

I've never been to a LLL meeting here . . . they exist, but I've not been. We have a couple local natural parenting groups (one is a baby wearing one, the other is called MamaBabyCafe - it's more for BF'ing) that I would love to go to, but the timing of the meetings - which varies - doesn't often mesh with my schedule. I want to go though! it's so nice to talk with other mamas IRL about CD and BF'ing and babywearing, etc! and cosleeping! - we have a couple friends that do co-sleep - mostly not on purpose, it just kind of worked out that way for them - but generally it is so looked down on here. We get all the typical responses, "you'll never get him out of your bed!" "what will you do when the new baby comes?", etc but really, why do people not understand that you do what works best and leave you alone? Granted, last night was no picnic, he couldn't get comfortable, and neither could I. I finally did get comfy, facing away from him, and he got up and tried to turn my head back the other way! kinda cute, but frustrating too.

Carrie, I see you resumed your stroller walks! we will start walking more in the next couple of weeks, still taking it easy for the next week  or so. I need to buy some EPO . . . How is squishy Finn doing? I hope he takes to the co-sleeper eventually

Forgot who asked, but I don't know if there's much you can do about SPD. I don't know if I have it, all I know is laying down sometimes I have such sharp pains in my symphasis pubis it's crazy. (I figure, if there's not much I can do about it, does it matter if I have it or not?) and lots of pressure on my tail bone.

Hope everyone's Wednesday is going well!

Oh, also - MIL and her family finally chose a date for my shower - Sept 18th, just 10 days before my due date. Granted, Norah could choose to come late, like her brother, but I am increasingly thinking that she will likely be closer to on time. (but it could just be wishful thinking). At any rate, I'm glad I'm having one, and don't want to sound ungrateful, but wish it were sooner!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Carrie, I see you resumed your stroller walks! we will start walking more in the next couple of weeks, still taking it easy for the next week  or so. I need to buy some EPO . . . How is squishy Finn doing? I hope he takes to the co-sleeper eventually.

Oh, also - MIL and her family finally chose a date for my shower - Sept 18th, just 10 days before my due date. Granted, Norah could choose to come late, like her brother, but I am increasingly thinking that she will likely be closer to on time. (but it could just be wishful thinking). At any rate, I'm glad I'm having one, and don't want to sound ungrateful, but wish it were sooner!

I took one short walk alone by myself to the liquor store and walgreens the other day.  Today I might attempt a stroller walk for real -- a short, slow one -- to see how it goes.  I'm exhausted but I feel like it would be good for me and for Nora if we can get out of the house.  I think I'll let her walk and push Finn in the stroller.

Finn was an awesome sleeper the first week and a half and now reality has hit.  Ha!  He does NOT like that cosleeper.  I try, I do.  I give it a good shot every night.  Nurse him down 2 or 3 times and keep trying to lay him in it, but inevitably he wakes right up, and I have to nurse him down again.  Or rock him, and give him the paci.  It's a LOT of work at 9 or 10 at night when I'm beat.  So, after 3 tries (my max) I give in and he lays in bed with me.  I don't know how long I'll keep trying but I feel like I have to give it at least a valiant effort, lol.

10 days before your EDD is close but I think you'll still have a good time.  I wouldn't have felt much like socializing less than 2 weeks before I was due, but I would have done it anyway!  LOL!  

I still haven't started cd'ing.  I feel a bit guilty about it but I still need to prep my diapers.  Should have done it before he was born, but didn't and now I really just don't feel like it.  LOL!  I don't even know if I'm going to bother w/pf's at this point.  I think I'm just going to get all my OS'es ready to go.  

DH is back to work today!  Wish me luck and patience!  LOL!

User Tag List