August 2011 Whatever Ladies Having Babies - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
 Of course, if you want it and have it or make it, she should at least be offered some, too. Not nice to eat in front of someone and not give them some, too. (I know you don't do that. winky.gif)

Anyway, now we don't have any dietary restrictions. My boys can eat as much of just about anything they want. I have learned that they don't want much junk when they know they can have it all the time, unlike their friends who gorge on junk whenever they are away from their controlling parents.

Ha!  How rude would that be!  No I never do that.  I never get anything or eat anything in front of her that I wouldn't also let her eat.  If I do slip and have something not vegan, it's on my own time and not with her.  Same reason she sips soda, eats junk, etc.  If we have it, she's allowed, too.

It's funny tho b/c more often than not she chooses healthier fare.  She's been known to turn down cookies/cake/candies for an apple or banana.  She eats such a variety of healthy things -- all her veggies, loves beans, chickpeas, ethnic food (indian, greek, chinese, etc).  Her favorite snack is hummus and carrots or chips and guac.  Her tastes run the gamut.  So, I'm not worried -- at least she's not a french fry-nugget kid.  You know?  Same as your kids.  Since it's allowed, she's cool to choose other things too.

Quote:

I keep forgetting to ask. Has anyone heard of, used or know someone who has used ColicCalm? It's a homeopathic remedy for gas, reflux, hiccups, etc. I got some yesterday and gave D a half a dose last night. Within minutes he was screaming. greensad.gif It didn't last long but it was continual, which he had never done before. He would occasionally scream once or twice like he was in pain but that was it. No ongoing screams or crying. I don't know if it was a coincidence but I'm afraid to give him anymore.

I'm going to try the block nursing, one breast for a 2 hour period, to see if that helps with my milk ejection and supply. I guess I'm old school because I have always had it in my head from back when I was breastfeeding Ryan that I need to get baby to nurse on both breasts and every feeding. From what I read, I think that is probably the cause of my problems.

Hmm. I wouldn't use it again.  It may have just been the gas breaking up, but that would freak me out too.

Def try the block nursing.  It can only help!

Oh - I talked to my mw.  I said we could totally do Sat but if it's ok, we could just do it next week.  She was totally cool with that.  Asked me if I was having any bloody show or losing plug, and I sighed and said no, just lots of ctx.  We talked about how I'm feeling mentally and if I was ok to wait a week, and I said I'm tired and getting crabby but otherwise I'm doing ok.  Ready, but ok.  If anything I'm to call her anyways, so, she said she'd talk to me this weekend unless I needed her before then.  

I went for a short stroller walk (less than 1 mi) and did some lunges.  I figure if he's ready, maybe something will trigger him out!  lol.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 AM

i would def try the block feeding; I know I had issues with a strong milk ejection reflex (letdown, whatever) we ended up doing block feeding more because I couldn't get Gabe to stay awake for both sides than anything else.

I used Mylicon sparingly with DS - just because I hated giving him anything sort of medicinal - . . . around 3-4 month if he was upset at all I used teething tablets, because I figured it might be teething making him cranky, might not, but there is stuff in there that helps calm him regardless.

That's great about the doc. The ped we saw for DS was fine, sort of, with us not vaxing, just gave us tons of CDC hand outs. Gabe hasn't been sick enough to warrant a sick visit, so we've not been since he was 4 months old. I figure when we go for DD, I'll see if they will give him a once over since we're there.

Junk food is why I've not gained as much this pregnancy as I did with my first. Because if I ate it, I'd have to share with DS, and I don't want to. He eats more junk now we live with the in laws, because chips and stuff like that are staples in their house, where it is a treat in ours. He has had sips of soda - but only in the last couple of months, and only when we don't have anything else to offer him (and it is totally unfair that we have drinks and he doesn't) . . . he loves marshmallows.

I am not vegan or anything, but can I tell you, my favorite cookie is vegan? it's the Alternative Baking Company chocolate chip cookie. There are like 500 calories per cookie, but I do NOT care. they are so yummy!

I think my MIL gets irked when DS doesn't eat much dinner because he was snacking beforehand (not necessarily on junk, sometimes it's like peanut butter crackers or a fruit bar) but we (as in all 4 adults) don't eat dinner at the same time every evening, sometimes we don't eat until 7 or 8, so if I get home around 4 and DS is hungry, I let him eat. If we then end up eating at 5:30 and he's just not hungry, it doesn't bother me. If he gets hungry again before bed, I'll let him eat some more; we always have leftovers. I try telling her that he is just a grazer (and that is actually a pretty healthy way to eat, as long as it's done with healthy food), but she has a thing about sitting down to eat a meal. oh well. Trying to think of some more healthy snacks to keep on hand for him too . . . that don't go bad quickly.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 08-10-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Carrie ~ That's exactly how my kids are. They like cookies and ice cream and dessert but they'll just as soon pick fruit or a granola bar or yogurt for a snack over something sweet. I do sometimes ask them if they'll eat something "healthy" before having something or other that they've asked for. When I do they usually comply, I think because I don't ever force them to eat certain foods or a certain amount.

Kat ~ My mother is having a big of trouble with the fact that my kids don't really sit down and eat a meal. I let them eat when they are hungry. I don't make them wait when their stomachs are grumbling. I don't think that's nice. My mother has manage to completely fill my fridge and pantry with food because she gets and makes so much that no one eats and she won't throw anything away. I mean, she saves EVERYTHING, even rotten fruit! She scrapes food off of everyone's dinner plates to save. Yuck! I can understand saving whatever is left in the pot or pan but don't combine food from everyone's half eaten plates to serve as leftovers later. Once she even saved a roast that the dog grabbed and ran off with. She ran it under the faucet and put it in the fridge for later. Um, yeah, there's no way I'm letting her feed that to my kids. grossedout.gif We're not big leftovers people anyway, so I tell her it won't get eaten. She insists she'll eat it if no one else does but there's no way she can eat all the food in there. As always, I'll have to wait until she leaves and then throw it all out. lol.gif I can't do it while she's here or she will get so mad.

I'm keeping the Mylicon drops in the back of my mind. I'm hoping the gas is from the milk ejection stuff and will calm down once I get my milk supply under control. We had a hard time last night. He kept trying to nurse but the milk would shoot out so hard and fast that he'd choke and sputter and then get filled with gas. I let the milk flow out and tried putting him back on once it slowed but it would eventually start shooting out again after he sucked for a while. It was very frustrating for both of us.

He's definitely gaining weight, though. My MW weighed him at 9 lbs., 4 oz. yesterday and the nurse at the ped weighed him at 10 lbs. today (with his diaper on so I can take off a few ounces).

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Ugh, that is yuck! (pot roast thing) the fridge is packed with leftovers -which everyone but me doesn't mind eating. I just can.not. do it all the time. Somethings I LOVE as leftovers (lasagne!) others, not so much (boxed pasta). DS always chooses the sweet stuff right now . . . two of his favorite words are "cook" (cookie) and "cake" - granted, cookies are anything from animal crackers, which I don't think are that awful, as they don't seem super sweet to me, to chocolate chip ones.

also, he thinks all food is "hot" right now, which I don't quite understand, but whatever. Since things that are legitmately hot (or potentially so, like ovens and bbq grills) he also says hot for, I don't mind.

I'm going yarn shopping on Friday or Saturday, so will work on more hats this weekend and next week! I love having projects! I like to crochet, but it's like saving $$ (as in putting it back), I need a purpose, I can't just crochet to crochet.

How old is D now? I don't know if it was letdown or what - but DS had major latch issues, popping on and off and screaming his head off, but I pumped at first a lot and gave it in a bottle, by 6 -7 weeks we were back to mostly straight from a breast. I don't know if part time bottle feeding is an option for you or not . . . since I WOH at least 2 days a week (or did, I get to WAH 4 days a week soon!) I knew he'd have to take a bottle eventually anyway. I figured at least it was still breastmilk. I am hoping to not need to do that with this baby. (but bottles were handy for trips out and about, since he took forever to nurse at first - sometimes as much as an hour at a time).

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 08-10-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

And just to gross you out some more, Ryan came home in the middle of the night and ate the pot roast before I could tell him not to. I was mad at my mom for that because I think she really should have put a warning on the bag it was in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

How old is D now? I don't know if it was letdown or what - but DS had major latch issues, popping on and off and screaming his head off, but I pumped at first a lot and gave it in a bottle, by 6 -7 weeks we were back to mostly straight from a breast. I don't know if part time bottle feeding is an option for you or not . . . since I WOH at least 2 days a week (or did, I get to WAH 4 days a week soon!) I knew he'd have to take a bottle eventually anyway. I figured at least it was still breastmilk. I am hoping to not need to do that with this baby. (but bottles were handy for trips out and about, since he took forever to nurse at first - sometimes as much as an hour at a time).

He's 2 weeks and 2 days today. He doesn't have a problem with latch anymore, if he ever did. The popping off is definitely because of my let down. It shoots straight out from several ducts so forcefully that it sprays everything. When my milk first came in with Ryan I was standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom drying off from a shower when I noticed these white spots all over the mirror. I was like, "What in the world is that?" Then I looked down and saw that it was milk shooting out of my breasts. lol.gif I used to lay flat on my back to nurse Ryan to try to keep the milk from shooting out so much. I've tried that a few times with D but he doesn't seem to be getting the hang of that position. Side lying, which is supposed to be good for excessive let down, seems to cause more frustration. D seems to get a lot more gassy when we try to nurse like that. Of course, that's in the middle of the night when I'm half asleep so it's hard for me to sit up to nurse him. Also, when I turn the light on so I can see what I'm doing at night, he wakes up, which I do not want in the middle of the night.

I don't want or need to bottle feed so I'm not going to go there for now. I read that pumping more than just a teeny bit actually makes the problem of oversupply and forceful let down worse. I've never pumped and don't have the patience for hand expressing. I have been thinking that it would be nice to collect the milk that's leaking out of my non-nursing breast to store for an emergency. I did that with E and K but I don't seem to have anything to store it in anymore.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
 I don't want or need to bottle feed so I'm not going to go there for now. I read that pumping more than just a teeny bit actually makes the problem of oversupply and forceful let down worse. I've never pumped and don't have the patience for hand expressing. I have been thinking that it would be nice to collect the milk that's leaking out of my non-nursing breast to store for an emergency. I did that with E and K but I don't seem to have anything to store it in anymore.

I wouldn't pump, it would only lead to more issues, I think.  I agree with your logic on that.  You can buy things to save that milk that leaks out the other side, I forget what they're called.  Hmm.  They're like little bags you tape on.  I have flat nips and use shells in the beginning, and they work to collect milk too, even if you don't want them too!  LOL!

Feeling so menstrual crampy and have a lower backache that's making me SO irritated.  Ugh.  Baby has hiccups though.  Don't they say if a baby has hiccups, they won't be born anytime soon?  I think I remember hearing something like that...

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-10-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I wouldn't pump, it would only lead to more issues, I think.  I agree with your logic on that.  You can buy things to save that milk that leaks out the other side, I forget what they're called.  Hmm.  They're like little bags you tape on.  I have flat nips and use shells in the beginning, and they work to collect milk too, even if you don't want them too!  LOL!

Feeling so menstrual crampy and have a lower backache that's making me SO irritated.  Ugh.  Baby has hiccups though.  Don't they say if a baby has hiccups, they won't be born anytime soon?  I think I remember hearing something like that...

i just randomly came across a review of those tape on milk collector thingies the other day. i meant to look them up. milkie somethings?

D had hiccups all the time. i don't recall if he had hiccups the sunday i went into labor but i would guess he did or at least the day before. he still gets hiccups a lot.

he's so sweet. i'm just sitting here holding him. he puts his head on my chest and his arms up so he can hold on. i swear he was giving my kisses at the doc's office. he kept leaning up and forward toward my face. i would lean down and kiss him and he'd do it again. he wasn't trying to suck or rooting as if he were hungry. when we got home he pursed his lips at me. i asked him if he was blowing me kisses. he did it again so i gave him a kiss and he popped his mouth open and made a kissing sound. i don't know if it was on purpose but it sure was cute.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:

he's so sweet. i'm just sitting here holding him. he puts his head on my chest and his arms up so he can hold on. i swear he was giving my kisses at the doc's office. he kept leaning up and forward toward my face. i would lean down and kiss him and he'd do it again. he wasn't trying to suck or rooting as if he were hungry. when we got home he pursed his lips at me. i asked him if he was blowing me kisses. he did it again so i gave him a kiss and he popped his mouth open and made a kissing sound. i don't know if it was on purpose but it sure was cute.

That's adorable!!! Awwe!!  I really cannot wait to smother my own baby with kisses.  Can. Not. Wait.  love.gif

Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

i found those milk saver things. they are called milkies milk savers. i ordered one but i'm not clear if it comes with storage bags.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

the gratuitous baby pic

Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Hi ladies! I've been reading along but I haventbhad much time to reply plus I hate typing on the iPad!

It's so awesome being home but challenging at the same time! I feel like I need five copies of me! And that's just to do the stuff for Ava! We are still having trouble with nursing. My nipples are inverted so she doesn't want to latch. I started wearing breast shells tonight to try to draw out my nipples. Has anyone had any luck with that? I had a crazy milk supply at the hospital from their pumps but it has gone down a lot since we've been home.

Got to run... Baby crying!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Annie!!!  Hi mama!!!  Good to see you!!!

I have used shells with amazing, amazing results.  It took a few days of wearing them even in between nursings during the day (they look silly, so only around the house) but soon my nip would perk up on its own.  Keep trying!!  Keep using them.  The good thing is that you can't get reliant on them the way you can on a shield, b/c the baby is nursing on bare boob, not on a device.  So, yes, give it a shot!  

I bought a new pack for this time around.  Since DD weaned my nips don't perk up on their own anymore.  Back to square one, I'm assuming.

MW - D is sooo cutttteeee!!  SQUEEE!!  I love seeing baby pics!! 

Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Annie- so glad Ava is home with you! I think I remember reading somewhere that you should pump before baby latches on to draw out inverted nipples. 

MW- that gripe water stuff is bogus. They put peppermint in it and peppermint negates homeopathic remedies so basically you're only getting the peppermint and herbal concoction left. 

Mercola.com says that colic is reduced when a bf-ing mama and baby both take probiotic supplements. I would give it a shot. I would also try single homeopathic remedies or at least a combo vial with no herbal, especially peppermint, in it. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Agreed. Baby pic love. 

Annie-- I'm so glad you guys are home! Little by little progress will be made. Go easy on both of yourselves. We're all rooting for you!

My DH is in the process of calling the cops on our neighbors. Joy. I'm pretty sure I wrote about the garbage with our fence? Anyways, our neighbors were swearing and angry last week that we 'went on their property' to finish installing the brand new fence we were putting up (which they obviously neither thanked us for or helped pay for). We had called the community police line and were told to call the non-emergency line because yes it was indeed serious, and they should send someone out. So we called the non-emergency line, and they agreed, said that it would be a bit of a wait before they could send someone out, but that they would call us back and get an update. Then when the actual officer who was supposed to come out called back, he basically said there was nothing he could do, but to call back if anything else happened (he obviously didn't feel like driving out, since everyone else at the station we talked to said YES! it was serious and someone should be sent. 

Anyways, DH just walked outside to get something from the garage, and the neighbor started yelling and swearing at him through his window that "it was ON now" and he would get us back and he wouldn't hear the last of this, etc etc. I was like mmm hmm... that's officially a threat, so we're calling them back. Not only is this guy off his rocker, and I'm pregnant, but we have a 7lb dog, and I would totally not put it past him to hurt/poison him. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 AM

JJ: how awful! hope something is done!

MW: Love the baby pic! I never used shields or shells . . . my problem was that my breasts were so full that my nipples went flat so I used the pump to empty them a bit and draw them out. worked really well for that! (I should note, that I really, really hate pumping and wish I didn't have to, but it did come in handy sometimes - also that I also wish I never had to use a bottle at all, but I did and will have to again. sucks, but that's life for me unless we win the lottery!)

Annie: glad you're home and hope Ava continues to do well. Can you rent the hospital pump - if it was a help? - or try the shells?

Last night was rough - I don't know if DS is cutting some more teeth or just has a cold, but he was miserable. He woke up around 1:30 and didn't really go back to sleep until after 4. He's snotty (clear though) - didn't know what he wanted, just was fighting sleep, and couldn't get comfortable. We went downstairs (including DH) and chilled for a bit, then I brought DS back to bed with me and DH stayed on the couch. We can tag team DS (take turns) but both of us at once seems to make it worse when he's upset. I just about had him out then DH came to bed and DS woke up again, but thankfully went back to sleep pretty quickly (another 15 minutes of squirming)

Only highlight is I dreamed of our little girl before I woke up! I dreamt I didn't stay long in the hospital, and she had light blond fuzz. A friend came to visit and we chatted and got rid of the extra boy stuff I had. . . . and I dreamt of nursing her, which seemed to go like it did with DS, had to work on getting her to open wide. Anyway, it was precious! looking forward to meeting her for real.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

wave.gif annie. i never used shells but if that's what they're made for, keep trying. do you have a local LLL meeting or leader? i would be very surprised if you didn't in your area. i think LLL leaders and groups are more helpful than LCs. i agree that getting yourself a hospital pump to keep your supply up while you're working things out might be a good idea. i don't really know, though. shannon would know better about that. or check the LLL website.

jj ~ i hope you get that neighbor taken care of. that's scary.

kat ~ sweet dreams.

kinder ~ thanks for the info. the stuff i got does have peppermint in it. hmmph. it says the peppermint induces the expulsion of gas. it also has vegetable charcoal instead of NA bicarbonate. http://coliccalm.com/ it says the charcoal is non-carcinogenic but idk about it. i am taking probiotics and plan to check the health food store for baby ones when i can. i haven't had a chance to go there yet and i can't trust my mom to get the right thing. D isn't what i would call colicy, though. he hardly ever cries at all. he sleeps a lot. isn't really very restless. when he is restless i know it's from gas because he's fine again as soon as he burps or farts. he doesn't even cry then. He grunts and squirms and kicks his little legs. Burps aren't usually too difficult but he does have a hard time with farts.

Last night was much better. He went about 3 hours between nursings. As long as I burped him he went right back to sleep. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. smile.gif

Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Annie:   Are you still pumping at all?  Just not w/a hospital grade pump?  Is your lower supply just down-regulating to what Ava actually needs or are you concerned that it's not enough to meet her needs?  Here's info on flat nipples:  http://www.llli.org/faq/flat.html  And you can find a LLL Leader here:  http://www.llli.org/webus.html

JJ: Good luck w/the crazy neighbor!

Kat: If you have the same issue w/engorgement this time around, consider reverse pressure softening:  http://www.llli.org/faq/engorgement.html

I'm still hanging out w/a posterior babe & about 4-6 contractions during most hours since Fri afternoon.  I sure hope all this is doing something!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 08-11-2011, 12:13 PM

Shannon, good to know - it looks like, based on the link, that sometimes that happens due to pitocin and IV fluids given during labor. I hope to avoid both this time, and hopefully won't have the same issue.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Can't wait for more baby announcements! Believe it or not but I actually miss that anticipation of when/if labor would start before my scheduled c-section. Hopefully tonight I can use DH's computer and write up my birth story.

I used those shells last night and it was a disaster! They drew out my niples but DD was having a rough night so she screamed on and off for hours and the shells were filling up with milk and then my shirt, bra, pants and part of my bed got soaked with milk! And I still couldn't get her to latch! I tried again this morning after I had pumped for a few mins and she still wouldn't latch. I have two friends that are LLL leaders so I'm going to try to see them this weekend to get help.

Im also going to check in to renting one of the hospital pumps. I'm pumping enough for maybe 1 1/2 feeds but I'm concerned that if I don't get her nursing my supply will dry up and I want to be able to give her BM at least until after her next surgery which could be 6-8 months away. With the hospital pump, I was pumping enough for three feeds so I could freeze most of it.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

shannon ~ it has to be doing something. hopefully, all of this means your birth won't take too long.

annie ~ i know what you mean. there's a bit of a let down once all of that drama is over. now there's not much to do but wait for baby to wake up to be fed and change diapers. although, me trying to get a shower today was a bit dramatic. every time i got D down someone would run in my room yelling and wake him up. i'm thinking i might need a sign for the bedroom door to remind everyone to be quiet when the door is shut.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
 I used those shells last night and it was a disaster! They drew out my niples but DD was having a rough night so she screamed on and off for hours and the shells were filling up with milk and then my shirt, bra, pants and part of my bed got soaked with milk! And I still couldn't get her to latch! I tried again this morning after I had pumped for a few mins and she still wouldn't latch. I have two friends that are LLL leaders so I'm going to try to see them this weekend to get help.

Im also going to check in to renting one of the hospital pumps. I'm pumping enough for maybe 1 1/2 feeds but I'm concerned that if I don't get her nursing my supply will dry up and I want to be able to give her BM at least until after her next surgery which could be 6-8 months away. With the hospital pump, I was pumping enough for three feeds so I could freeze most of it.

Oh man!  The shells do fill up fast, don't they?  Im sorry you had such a rough night.  I hope your LLL leaders can offer some help with latch.  It will take time, but you know it's totally worth it.  Hang in there mama!!  Definitely rent a pump!  It will make that worry the last thing on your mind!!

Quote:
annie ~ i know what you mean. there's a bit of a let down once all of that drama is over. now there's not much to do but wait for baby to wake up to be fed and change diapers. 

I'm ready for the drama to be over!  LOL!  I'm ready to not get texts every morning from 3 people, my 2 friends and my MIL, asking, "How are you feeling?" as if I feel any different.  I'm not going to forget to tell them I'm either in labor or had the baby!  irked.gif  I'm ready to hunker down, nurse, change diapers, and get on with life!!  This limbo SUCKS.

Although, today I feel oddly at peace.  Having a nice, slow day with DD, just enjoying her and having fun.  She's being really cute today so it helps.  It doesn't hurt that everything is just...ready.  I should wash the shower curtain but other than that, the house is ready for a birth!

I made the shopping list for the week and DH was like, is any of that urgent or can it wait til tmw at lunch for me to run out (I make the list and he runs out to get the groceries lately, makes my life easier).  I looked at the list and looked at him and I said, "Well...no, none of this stuff we necessarily need tonight but if I go into labor b/w now and tmw...we're basically screwed!  LOL!"  He laughed and was like, ok, ok.  Gotcha.  Then he was like, "Maybe I won't go and it'll make things happen."  Hardy har har mister!  But I admit part of me wants to risk it.  

Have you guys heard of this "labor line" as an indicator of progress?  The dark purple line that goes basically up your buttcrack the more dilated you are?  It's a way to check for dilation without actually checking.  I peeked today after I got out of the shower and mines very dark purple -- and maybe like half way up?  3-4 cm?  Ha - I wonder if it's true.  I still haven't had any internal exams.

http://sarahvine.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/how-dilated-am-i-assessing-dilation-without-an-internal-exam/

Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I've never heard of that, Carrie, so I never checked. I never noticed a line anywhere except my belly. shrug.gif

Annie ~ I'm breastfeeding my 4th child and still having trouble. You'd think I'd have it down by now. I like to say that breastfeeding may be simple but it's not easy (at least at first). Hey, have you thought of trying one of those breast supplementer thingies instead of bottles? Maybe if she has some nipple confusion going on, that would help. I've never used one of those either so I don't know exactly how it works. Seems it would be closer to breastfeeding and you can put expressed breastmilk in it.

So, I ordered that Milkies Milk Saver thing yesterday. Shipping is supposed to take 3-5 business days. I've also been doing the block nursing for a little more than 24 hours now (I think). It seems my leaking has already lessened and D is nursing more easily. He hasn't been choking and sputtering as much and he's been sleeping in longer stretches (which still bothers me eyesroll.gif). How much do you want to bet the leaking will be fixed by the time I get the Milkies thing and I won't be able to use it?

Oh, and, I have some EMAB PP herbal perineal tea bags if anyone wants them.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:09 AM

Annie - hope your LLL friends are able to help. I agree, a SNS might be an option too. With DS, we tried an eyedropper, but that was frustrating all around - he was so upset I was trying to get him calm enough to latch properly . . .but eh, we figured things out eventually. But in the midst of it, it can be very trying!

MW: you still might have leakage issues later, I know I did. I think I only stopped leaking on occaision after about 8 months or more. I have  a friend nursing her 17 month old and she STILL has leakage issues! so maybe the milkies will still work out after all! I am glad the block nursing seems to be helping.

Carrie - I hit zen around 40 weeks with DS . . . i was so anxious to get labor to start before then, and once I hit my DD, it just didn't matter as much. That line thing is interesting! makes you wonder . . .

Nothing new with us; DS is coughing like mad; all the drainage from the snot the last day or two. poor baby. He slept better though.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Kat ~ I hope so, sort of. I leaked for a looong time with E, over a year. I had a freezer full of saved milk With K I stopped leaking a lot sooner. I remember being a little disappointed but also happy that I didn't have to wear nursing pads anymore or worry about huge wet milk spots on my shirt and smelling like sour milk. I was a little worried that I didn't have nearly as much milk saved. I never needed any of it, anyway, but it's nice to have for an emergency. I mean, what would happen if I were in a car accident and ended up in a coma? Not very likely to happen, I know, but you all know those are the types of things us mamas worry about.

I hope Gabe is feeling 100% soon. D has sounded a little congested in the past week. He's not sick so I don't know what it's from.

Carrie ~ Yeah, it is nice to have my baby to snuggle. It was funny. For the first week or so after he was born I'd catch myself sitting forward with my belly scrunched up and think, "Oh, I'd better straighten up. I'm squishing the baby." Then I'd wonder why I didn't feel him hitting me like he always did when he got squished like that. It would take a few seconds for me to remember that there was no baby in there anymore. lol.gif

I'm going to attempt to take the boys to the pool today. I was hoping to go early in the morning so it would be cooler but it doesn't open until 11 am. It's supposed to be cooler today than it has been. The high is 87 instead of 97 or above but there are also supposed to be thunderstorms. So, we shall see. The other pool is having the last pool party of the summer tonight so I'm going to try to take them to that, too. My mom is still here to help me.

Shannon ~ You guys want to go to a pool party?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM

Have fun at the pool, Alysia!

Still no baby yet!  But I'm getting close!  Last nights ctx felt seriously like the real thing and lasted all night.  Still happening now, but a little further apart.  I'm going absolutely crazy and cried a bit,  but I guess I'm coming to terms with the fact that he will come out eventually and I might as well just ride this out.

Alysia - I remember after giving birth to Nora, I would have gas bubbles and think it was baby movement.  Took awhile to realize there was nobody in there anymore!  lol.gif

Old 08-12-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

well, the pool got rained out. the weather said possible afternoon showers but it started sprinkling as soon as we got to the pool. it never even opened. i tried going to the indoor pool but those have to close for inclement weather, too. eyesroll.gif hopefully, all the storms will be gone by tonight so we can go to the pool party.

carrie ~ how are things coming? did you call your mw to tell her about your ctx?

i need more breast pads. anyone know where i can get some good ones? most of the ones i have don't work anymore. they are from when ryan was a baby.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 AM

No I haven't mentioned anything to my mw, these have really slowed down/petered out.  It's disappointing to say the least.  I really, really had myself convinced I'd be holding him by tonight.  greensad.gif

Do you use disposable breast pads or cloth?  I like the Gerber disposable ones.  They are ultra thin.  I had a hell of a time finding them b/c they changed the packaging and name to Nuk instead of having the normal blue packaging and Gerber baby on the front.  I was looking all over and trying to find them online b/c they are my favorite, and then I was walking around BRU registering for misc stuff and saw the box and realized they were, in fact, the right ones.  Just different name and package.  Score!  I registered for like 2 more boxes and bought 2 right then.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

i changed the title of the thread. i figured the new title is more fun and fitting since we've either had or are going to have babies now.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, oh well, Carrie. I thought maybe you were still having those serious ctx. irked.gif

I'm using cloth pads. I have a few I like. One pair are made by FuzziBunz, I think. They work but they have PUL on one side, which I'm not a fan of. I have a couple of pairs of some other bramd that have cotton flannel on the inside and fleece on the outside, which I like better. They work but I can't remember where I got them and can't seem to find anymore like them now. I tried wool but soaked right through those. I have a whole bunch of some really old cotton ones that I bought when I was nursing Ryan. I think they might have been made by Gerber or some other big name brand that's sold at retail stores. I guess maybe they are just too old and have been used so much that they aren't very absorbent anymore because every time I nurse the side D is not nursing on gets soaked right through onto my shirt. Sometimes I even go through those pads when he's not nursing. I may buy a box of disposable ones just to get me through until I can get some more cloth ones. I know they sell Lanisoh ones at the grocery store. I'm pretty sure I used those before and they worked. For now I'm going to have to resort to stuffing a PF into my bra whenever I nurse at home.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:01 AM

My friend uses these and likes them.  Got them at Babies R Us.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3371331

These ctx are coming frequently and I feel them, they don't stop when I'm moving around but I'm not timing them.  Until they make me stop in my tracks for real, as though they aren't going to just stop again, I can't get my hopes up.  I'm really, relaly hoping things amp up today or by tonight.  Maybe I'll bounce on the ball for a bit.  Maybe TMI, but we tried DTD last night and though I got my *ahem* prostaglandins, I personally couldn't finish b/c the ctx hurt too much.  That was what tipped me off.  I never do that.  LOL.

I'm going to be in denial for a long time b/c I just can't take the heartbreak!

I feel like this could be the real thing, partly b/c I'm over the apprehension I had about Nora going to Grandmas.  I'm going to pack her bag up now and at least that way it'll be ready and I won't have to worry about it.

User Tag List