AnnieA (due 7/18) ~ Baby girl born July 17, 2011
MarineWife (due 7/30) ~ Baby boy born July 25, 2011
Baby_Cakes (due 8/16) ~ Baby boy born August 16, 2011
MovingMomma (due 8/9) ~ Baby girl born August 18, 2011

akind1 ~ 9/28
mom2one ~ 10/23
jeninejessica ~ 12/1
Kindermama ~ 1/6

Last months thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1320215/july-2011-whatever-ladies-graduates

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#2 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ha!  Of course the new mom makes the new thread for August!  The rest of us are still in la-la land over there, hahah!!  Thanks for the thread!

Kat - they had that blue tulle there!  I didn't bring anything, any props, with me.  I couldn't think of anything I would want.  I only had a 20 week u/s picture which didn't seem right to bring b/c it was so long ago.  I let the girl do her own thing and I think she did a great job considering how huge and uncomfortable I must look IRL!!

AFM - Still pregnant.  Ctx last night woke me right out of deep sleep, were timeable about 5-8 min apart and I thought I had to use the bathroom, but I didn't.  I was trying so hard not to get my hopes up, but I admit they did rise just a little.  I got up and had some cereal, to see if they would stop...and they did.  I fell back  asleep on the couch for a bit (sometimes the couch is just much more comfortable than the bed) and when I woke up, there they were again!  Strong, lasting a minute or longer.  Sigh.  But they are gone now.  I was so excited!  GRRR!  Now I'm just grumpy and very tired.  I need a huge cup of coffee.  Chris just brewed up a pot and it's calling to me....

caffix.gif

Nora's going to go to my MIL's for a bit this afternoon.  I'm hoping I can use the time to just rest and get a few more things in order around the house.  One of these days, the ctx will bring me closer to meeting my baby, right??

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

I had a problem with diapers last night. I decided to try my pockets double stuffed so I wouldn't have to get up to change D so much. I used two different kinds, Sunbaby (which I've never used before) and Fuzzibunz (which were used with K without any problems). They both leaked almost immediately. angry.gif I don't know what the problem was, especially with the FBs since I've used those before without trouble. I'm going to try washing them again to see if they need to be stripped some. The only other thing I can think of is that they are too big. They both seemed to fit him fine, though. shrug.gif

Carrie ~ I've been meaning to give a review on those PJs I bought. I really like the nightgowns and I've never been a nightgown person. They fit relatively well, are comfortable and easy to use. The top did get stretched out a little after a few times of pulling them to the sides to nurse but not too bad.

The top and shorts set is another story. It shrank when I washed it so the empire style top now just barely goes down completely over my breasts. The gets very stretched very quickly and sags so that my breasts are practically hanging out after just one use. I'm not so happy with it.

I saw Shannon yesterday at a LLL meeting and she was still pregnant. winky.gif I told her yesterday was supposed to be the day she went into labor to keep up the trend that I and her other friend had set but nothing was happening. She still had time as long as baby is born today. I'm probably annoying her now being like anyone and everyone else who would ask if she's still pg or had that baby yet. moon.gif

Oh, btw, after having my mom take my van to the fire station to get D's carseat put in, I had to redo it myself before I went out yesterday. They set it way too upright for a newborn, imo. If I put D in the seat the way they had set it, he would have slumped over with his chin on his chest. Annoying! Also, they informed my mom that it is illegal to put a rolled up towel under the front edge of the seat to get it at the correct angle. Anyone ever heard of that? I've always read that was a recommendation. Maybe it's only illegal for them to do it since it's not an official part to the carseat.

One more thing. Someone else went into labor on the 24th and had her baby boy on the 25th and named him Dylan, too.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#4 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I had a problem with diapers last night. I decided to try my pockets double stuffed so I wouldn't have to get up to change D so much. I used two different kinds, Sunbaby (which I've never used before) and Fuzzibunz (which were used with K without any problems). They both leaked almost immediately. angry.gif I don't know what the problem was, especially with the FBs since I've used those before without trouble. I'm going to try washing them again to see if they need to be stripped some. The only other thing I can think of is that they are too big. They both seemed to fit him fine, though. shrug.gif

Carrie ~ I've been meaning to give a review on those PJs I bought. I really like the nightgowns and I've never been a nightgown person. They fit relatively well, are comfortable and easy to use. The top did get stretched out a little after a few times of pulling them to the sides to nurse but not too bad.

The top and shorts set is another story. It shrank when I washed it so the empire style top now just barely goes down completely over my breasts. The gets very stretched very quickly and sags so that my breasts are practically hanging out after just one use. I'm not so happy with it.

I saw Shannon yesterday at a LLL meeting and she was still pregnant. winky.gif I told her yesterday was supposed to be the day she went into labor to keep up the trend that I and her other friend had set but nothing was happening. She still had time as long as baby is born today. I'm probably annoying her now being like anyone and everyone else who would ask if she's still pg or had that baby yet. moon.gif

Oh, btw, after having my mom take my van to the fire station to get D's carseat put in, I had to redo it myself before I went out yesterday. They set it way too upright for a newborn, imo. If I put D in the seat the way they had set it, he would have slumped over with his chin on his chest. Annoying! Also, they informed my mom that it is illegal to put a rolled up towel under the front edge of the seat to get it at the correct angle. Anyone ever heard of that? I've always read that was a recommendation. Maybe it's only illegal for them to do it since it's not an official part to the carseat.

Hmm about the diapers!  That's not cool, they shouldn't leak like that.  I hope an extra wash helps, maybe they were just repelling??  

GTK about the jammies.  I had a set of $$$ nursing jammies last time and had the SAME problem.  The elastic that was supposed to go under the boobs went ACROSS my boobs and it was so uncomfortable!  It was as though they didn't take into consideration that breasts full of milk  would need ample room!?

Ha - you are probably annoying her so much but I love it!  LOL!  She knows you mean well!  

And - in my carseat manual (for my convertible) it says to use a pool noodle.  I'm not sure if it's b/c it much more firm than a rolled up towel, but I think they're both fair things to use to prop the seat.  That sucks they had the angle wrong.  That would really burn me up -- professionals, yeah right.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Ha!  Of course the new mom makes the new thread for August!  The rest of us are still in la-la land over there, hahah!!

Haha! Yeah, anyone can start it. I just copy and paste the first post from the previous thread. But then if you do that, you have to go back and update the list when someone has a baby since you'd be the only one who could edit that post.

I've heard of the pool noodle thing, too, but we don't have one of those. I have always used a towel. shrug.gif I think now you can by a special pad made specifically for that purpose with a carseat. I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere. I didn't need it, though. I just needed to get the seat in the correct position. They also didn't secure the tether. I know that's not required but it seems like a good idea if available because it keeps the top part of the seat where baby's head is from flopping all over the place in a crash.

Oh, and we had to take all the carseats out again yesterday so my mom could take my van in to get some work done on it. She was going to take a taxi home but they gave her a ride in their shuttle van. Hmm...interesting since when I called a few months ago and asked if they had any kind of shuttle service I was told they did not. I could have gotten all of this done months and months ago when Ryan was still here to watch his brothers. eyesroll.gif

#6 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
 They also didn't secure the tether. I know that's not required but it seems like a good idea if available because it keeps the top part of the seat where baby's head is from flopping all over the place in a crash.

I'm certainly no expert but, yeah,  I'm pretty sure RF you don't need to secure that tether.  My manual might actually say not to.  I think it's really only for FF.  But of course, it might depend on the seat and the car.

Annoying about the shuttle service!!

I've decided to get over myself, and just tidied up a bit, did the dishes, got my coffee.  Going to keep cleaning up and then around 1:30 take Nora to gma's and then I'm going to SONIC.  HA!  Gonna do it upstyle hardcore.  All by myself!  

#7 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 07:11 AM

MW: NG tube = nasogastric = feeding tube. does that mean she is taking breast/bottle now? if so, yay!

I'm sure Shannon is used to the questions by now! LOL

Carrie, ooh, wonder if our Penny's has some pink tulle???

Taking carseats in or out is a pain! I used a towel for leveling. MIL does not understand what a pain carseats in and out it, b/c she is always wanting to move ours to her car on a whim. My parents bought a carseat! so much easier. It does go in and out of their vehicle as needed, but at least I can leave the one that is in my car, IN my car.

I got my nursing jammies at Motherhood Maternity and never have had any issues. I still wear them, even though I am not nursing anymore. I am actually really looking forward to having a nursling again. who'd've thunk?

Found the cutest crochet pattern for a newborn owl hat! I really want to try it out! http://daisycottagedesigns.blogspot.com/2011/07/free-owl-hat-crochet-pattern.html

just going to make it pink and brown instead!

I haven't ever done the pro carseat installation thing . . .I figure that it SHOULD be able to be done by the average parent. so I do. (DH hasn't ever put one in, LOL)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#8 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

That hat is very cute!

Carrie ~ My carseat comes with a special buckle strap that goes around the foot of the front seat so you can attach the tether to it. But, yeah, I think most RF carseats, or at least infant ones, are not equiped to use the tether and I'm pretty sure the manual for mine says the tether does not have to be attached RF but I find the seat is more secure. As a matter of fact, I don't think the tether has to be attached even when FF. One thing I like about having the tether attached when the seat is RF is that it helps to get the seat at the correct angle but pulling the top down a little. I showed my mom the buckle strap and how it was supposed to go on so she could show the guys at the fire station. I don't think she even mentioned it. She's a bit of an airhead.

Kat ~ I normally put the carseats in and, other than being heavy, mine are really quite easy to do. The thing is that I'm still not supposed to even go up and down the stairs much because every time I do my bleeding picks up. So, I'm definitely not supposed to be outside lugging heavy carseats around and installing them and my mom has no clue about any of it. Trying to explain anything to her is like speaking a foreign language. I really think she just doesn't listen because she seems to miss at least half of what I say and then gets all confused about what's going on or what she needs to do. That's why I had my mom take it to the fire station.

I looked for PJs and nightgowns at Motherhood online but they didn't have anything I wanted. Like I said before, most have little or no sleeves and long skirts or pants, which is opposite what I find comfortable. I need sleeves to keep my arms warm since they are usually outside the covers and shorts or a short skirt on a gown since my legs get hot under the covers.

I got the nursing tops I ordered and they are all just slightly too small. I got mediums so I don't know why they are so small. I refuse to get larges so I guess I'll just stick with my maternity clothes until I shrink a little more. I lost 12 lbs. immediately after birth winky.gif and have lost another 6 in the first week so I think I'm doing pretty good with that. I never did try binding my belly. It seemed like too much work.

#9 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Carrie, ooh, wonder if our Penny's has some pink tulle???

Found the cutest crochet pattern for a newborn owl hat! I really want to try it out! http://daisycottagedesigns.blogspot.com/2011/07/free-owl-hat-crochet-pattern.html

just going to make it pink and brown instead!

Mine had both pink and blue!  I bet yours has pink!  When you make the appt, ask!

And that hat is ADORABLE!!  

Quote:

That hat is very cute!

Carrie ~ My carseat comes with a special buckle strap that goes around the foot of the front seat so you can attach the tether to it. But, yeah, I think most RF carseats, or at least infant ones, are not equiped to use the tether and I'm pretty sure the manual for mine says the tether does not have to be attached RF but I find the seat is more secure. As a matter of fact, I don't think the tether has to be attached even when FF. One thing I like about having the tether attached when the seat is RF is that it helps to get the seat at the correct angle but pulling the top down a little. I showed my mom the buckle strap and how it was supposed to go on so she could show the guys at the fire station. I don't think she even mentioned it. She's a bit of an airhead.

I got the nursing tops I ordered and they are all just slightly too small. I got mediums so I don't know why they are so small. I refuse to get larges so I guess I'll just stick with my maternity clothes until I shrink a little more. I lost 12 lbs. immediately after birth winky.gif and have lost another 6 in the first week so I think I'm doing pretty good with that. I never did try binding my belly. It seemed like too much work.

The carseat my MIL has definitely needs the tether FF, and she didn't install it correctly.  DH was putting DD in her car and the whole top of the seat could move forward, and side to side.  So, for weeks, my poor girl had been riding around in a improperly fitted carseat.  I was very mad.  I'm glad he caught that before something tragic happened.

Yahoo on losing that weight!!!  Oh goodness, I cannot wait.  I feel so HEAVY.

#10 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The carseat my MIL has definitely needs the tether FF, and she didn't install it correctly.  DH was putting DD in her car and the whole top of the seat could move forward, and side to side.  So, for weeks, my poor girl had been riding around in a improperly fitted carseat

that sounds like the whole thing was installed improperly. my manual says the base shouldn't move more than an inch in any direction before attaching the tether. when i LATCH my seats in, they don't move any which way before i attach the tether.

#11 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:

that sounds like the whole thing was installed improperly. my manual says the base shouldn't move more than an inch in any direction before attaching the tether. when i LATCH my seats in, they don't move any which way before i attach the tether.

Word.  DH took the whole thing out and reinstalled it properly right then and there.  Thank God, you know?

#12 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Oh my gosh, you guys were busy overnight! I'm going to go through post by post so I don't miss anything! lol

The sleepers I counted are all the ones passed down from my SIL- so not even my own hoarding! lol. But their baby boy is the first one in the family, so they got tons of hand me downs from friends, plus obviously they went out and bought a bunch of blue stuff after having three girls as well. She's pretty much going to be donating my entire boy wardrobe. It's funny to see the stuff keep pouring in. There was one gown in the stuff she sent over, and I think I have one more unisex one-- and then a few pink ones. 

Carrie-- progress progress progress! It all helps. Try to nap today while Nora is gone, that way at least if you aren't sleeping at night very well, you're still keeping up your energy for labor. 

MW-- Odd about the diapers. I'm not looking forward to that because I have no experience. I have a feeling I'll be hanging around the diapering boards for a while with tons of questions. 

Re: the carseat, my graco carseat says right in the manual that if you can't get it level (it's got the level on the side of it), then to use a towel or a pool noodle, something similiar. I'll be using a pool noodle, cut up, since the towel didn't seem firm enough for us. It's apparently a common problem with a lot of newer cars because the backseat dips down too much. I thought we were going to have to return the seat, so I was really glad to find the note from the company themselves to put something in to help it level. I DO think I remember reading something about not doing that forward facing though... but I can't remember why. 

Oh- and worth noting, this is a convertible, or a bucket? I can't remember. 

LOL And I see Carrie had the same suggestions. I say ignore the people at the station-- they try their best, but yes it's probably just against their guidelines to use anything 'additional'. 

Ditto with Carrie about the tether as well-- it specifically says not to on my seat- big warning labels and everything. It's designed to be held in with only the two achor points, so adding anything else actually interferes with the way it was designed. If it's still wiggling, then the anchor straps need to be tighter.  However, I think I remember reading that two of the Britax seats CAN be used with the tether-- it attaches onto the floor near the passenger/driver front seats. But other than those two seats, from what I've read, if you're using the LATCH, then nothing else should be attached at all, no seatbelt, no tethers, etc. You just have to make sure both sides of the latch are in very very tight. I know I won't be able to get in there and put weight on it, so when it comes time to install ours, I'm going to have my sister come over and help DH-- she's small enough she can sit/lean on the seat while he's doing it up. I helped him last time, when we were testing it, but that was before the belly started getting in the way!

AFM- Didn't end up meeting up with my friend OR getting the p&p yesterday. The girl never returned my phonecall. Blah. DH said maybe he'd go get it today while I'm at work, which would be really nice, it's on the other end of the city, and I think he just doesn't want me going alone. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#13 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Word.  DH took the whole thing out and reinstalled it properly right then and there.  Thank God, you know?

Yep, and that's why there was no way I was going to try to explain it to my mother and hope she got it put in correctly. You should have seen when I tried to show her and my dad just how to buckle the kids in. It seems second nature to me but they were both lost. I'm not even sure they used child carseats when we were babies. I even watch my dh like a hawk when he puts them in even though he's done many times. I'm a paranoid control freak like that. redface.gif

And, what JJ said about your contractions. They are all getting you closer to holding your baby. Hang in there. It's gotta happen eventually. Time to let it all go and send peaceful, ready whenever you are messages to Finnley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Oh- and worth noting, this is a convertible, or a bucket? I can't remember. 

However, I think I remember reading that two of the Britax seats CAN be used with the tether-- it attaches onto the floor near the passenger/driver front seats.

Yep, I've got Britax Boulevard convertibles from 2009 or 2010 and they come with special straps to attach the tethers to the floor when RF. It's not required, I don't think, but I like using them. I don't know about the newer ones or about any infant bucket seats specifically. The last time I used an infant seat in a car was in 2004.

#14 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Carrie-- progress progress progress! It all helps. Try to nap today while Nora is gone, that way at least if you aren't sleeping at night very well, you're still keeping up your energy for labor. 

Quote:

And, what JJ said about your contractions. They are all getting you closer to holding your baby. Hang in there. It's gotta happen eventually. Time to let it all go and send peaceful, ready whenever you are messages to Finnley.

happytears.gif Thanks, girls.  I needed to hear this.  I'm just so frustrated, but you're both 100% right.  And I had a silly fleeting thought last night while I was lying there wondering if it was the real thing or not.  It's not like I'm going to miss it.  It's not like labor is just going to sneak up on me or catch me off guard and -- oh no whoops - here comes the baby!  I'll know when it's real and I just have to trust in that.  

#15 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

i love it when we can have these almost real time conversationa.
Quote:

happytears.gif Thanks, girls.  I needed to hear this.  I'm just so frustrated, but you're both 100% right.  And I had a silly fleeting thought last night while I was lying there wondering if it was the real thing or not.  It's not like I'm going to miss it.  It's not like labor is just going to sneak up on me or catch me off guard and -- oh no whoops - here comes the baby!  I'll know when it's real and I just have to trust in that.  

i'm glad you're not mad at me. i always worry that i'm going to upset someone when i say something like that. my rationality doesn't always mesh with others' emotions.

but lol.gif on missing it. yeah, i don't think you'll miss it when it happens. i wondered how i would know when i was in labor but somehow i did. my intuition told me to pay closer attention to the ctx i was having on the 24th even tho i can't really tell you why. i just knew they were different without even really consciously knowing. i don't remember thinking at first, "hey, this could be labor." it was more like, "hmm...something's going on here. let me see if i can figure out what." i love that my mom says that when she hears me say, "what do you think about this?" she knows i'm in labor.

#16 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 AM

LOL Carrie, I really don't think you will miss it!  I'm sure you'll have it figured out by the transition point at least -

I'm pretty sure my IL's are clueless on carseats. My parents figured it out no problem (but my mom has dealt with more kids in carseats a lot more recently than my MIL has).  It's not really that any of ours are hard to take in and out of a car, it's just a hassle. Especially forward facing, which is for some reason a lot easier install than RF'ing. DS is FF because it makes him tons happier, which makes both DH and I safer drivers. RF'ing he'd scream his head off half the time. Not fun, that. Makes you want to speed like mad to get where you are going just to make it stop!

oh, diapers, I was gonna say to strip them, unless the double stuffing made them not fit as well around the leg gussets? I rarely double stuff my pockets.

I'm getting some WAHM made bamboo prefolds in the mail soon! it was a trade for my Moby and Ergo infant insert. I love fluffy mail!

JJ: sounds like you are all set! I still need stuff, but am waiting until after my shower(s?) and going to the big consignment sales we have here in September to stock up on winter stuff for Norah and Gabe.

speaking of shower(s?) I know I shouldn't, but I peeked at my registry and some stuff has been bought! just little things, but it makes me happy! (FWIW we noticed with DS that hardly anyone bought stuff off of our registry. We got plenty but they weren't necessarily things we wanted or asked for  - like Gamecock onesies and football stuff - it's the local university team)

. . . I love these almost realtime convo's too! I think we might one day manage an East Coast meet up . . . I think Shannon and MW are local to each other, I'm not far, Carrie is East Coast but in cooler weather I think, JJ would have to travel a bit . . . could happen!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#17 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

i forgot to answer about ava. she is eating from a bottle. i'm not sure if she's at the breast as well.

#18 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

LOL Carrie, I really don't think you will miss it!  I'm sure you'll have it figured out by the transition point at least -

speaking of shower(s?) I know I shouldn't, but I peeked at my registry and some stuff has been bought! just little things, but it makes me happy! (FWIW we noticed with DS that hardly anyone bought stuff off of our registry. We got plenty but they weren't necessarily things we wanted or asked for  - like Gamecock onesies and football stuff - it's the local university team)

. . . I love these almost realtime convo's too! I think we might one day manage an East Coast meet up . . . I think Shannon and MW are local to each other, I'm not far, Carrie is East Coast but in cooler weather I think, JJ would have to travel a bit . . . could happen!

LOL, right?  What am I so caught up on??  Why do I feel like I have to catch it as soon as it starts, or what, it'll pass me by??  LOL I'm too much.

I always peeked at my registry!  Hooray for gifts!!  That's awesome!!

I would LOVE a meetup someday.  That would be so so fun!! 

Quote:
 but lol.gif on missing it. yeah, i don't think you'll miss it when it happens. i wondered how i would know when i was in labor but somehow i did. my intuition told me to pay closer attention to the ctx i was having on the 24th even tho i can't really tell you why. i just knew they were different without even really consciously knowing. i don't remember thinking at first, "hey, this could be labor." it was more like, "hmm...something's going on here. let me see if i can figure out what." i love that my mom says that when she hears me say, "what do you think about this?" she knows i'm in labor.

I hope my intuition kicks in, I do.  I just feel very unsettled.  I think it's b/c our plan is to have DD stay at grandmas, and I'm so overly concerned about her having to go (I really shouldn't be, she's there now for crying out loud, she LOVES being at grandmas).  I worry about timing, and if it's the middle of the night what do we want to do?  There's so much up in the air that can't be planned it makes me go a little loopy.  I do need to just let go.  Deep calming letting-go breaths.  

AFM - I dropped DD off around 1:30 and decided I was going to treat myself to Sonic.  I'd just had words with my "best" girlfriend and definitely needed something to make me feel better.  Who cares at this point if that's food? I got mozzarella sticks and an Oreo blast.  First time I've ever had either from Sonic.  OMG.  Can I say I sat in my car and almost cried tears of JOY b/c it was so damn good???

I'm not going to text my friend anymore, at least if I can truly help it, until it's something real or important.  She is so self centered and really not supportive at this point, and I need to clear my brain and life of all things negative and just focus on getting through these next few weeks.  After she texted me this really rude and stupid comment, I texted her back that I wasn't going to send her any updates anymore.  That's that.  She said she was sorry but I didn't write back.  If I did I knew I would say something I would regret.  So there.  I'm miserable, grumpy, and DONE with drama.

Ok, so after my indulgence at Sonic I went to Target.  Ctx every 10 min, pretty much on the dot.  So fun.  Not.  But I strolled around Target for an hour, just grabbing more stuff I "need".  I got two nursing tanks, a nursing sleep bra, and more towels for the water part of my birth.  I got a T-shirt I won't mind getting breastmilk and spit-up stains on that I can just live in for the first few weeks, and another pair of track shorts to just wear around the house.  I'm set now I think, in terms of clothes for myself postpartum.  Last time I was there I thought to pick up a 5 pack of Hanes bikini brief panties -- just some crappy underwear to wear the first few days/weeks that I won't mind ruining.

Oh, and Alysia - the nursing tanks I ended up getting are L.  I tried the M on over my tank top/bra and it was wayyyy too snug.  If it's too snug now, forget it when my milk comes in.  The sleep bra I tried on too, over my shirt -- 38C!!  Usually a 34A not pg or nursing so whoa boobies!  

I'm setting my sights on looking forward to being on the other side.  It's too hard being down in the gutter wallowing in my own self pity.  I'm tired, I'm anxious to get this baby earthside, but I'm also really excited.  So, I'm going to try to just be excited mostly and let the other stuff slide for a bit.

#19 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

hug.gif, Carrie. It will all work out. I'm sure Grandma knows she could get a middle of the night call if she's agreed to take Nora when the time comes. My mom stayed up most of the night with me while I labored. I think she maybe rested for an hour or two but that was it. Then she made breakfast for everyone and may have even stayed up all the following day taking care of my boys. And, if Nora ends up being home, what's the worst that could happen? E was home when K was born and K stayed in my room and watched while D was born. The only who seems to have been traumatized by my births was 12yo Ryan watching E's birth. lol.gif

#20 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:

hug.gif, Carrie. It will all work out. I'm sure Grandma knows she could get a middle of the night call if she's agreed to take Nora when the time comes. My mom stayed up most of the night with me while I labored. I think she maybe rested for an hour or two but that was it. Then she made breakfast for everyone and may have even stayed up all the following day taking care of my boys. And, if Nora ends up being home, what's the worst that could happen? E was home when K was born and K stayed in my room and watched while D was born. The only who seems to have been traumatized by my births was 12yo Ryan watching E's birth. lol.gif

This is all very true!  Nora is just uber sensitive, and I worry about her seeing me in pain.  I think she would understand more than she would know how to deal with emotionally, and not only that, but *I* don't want to be worried about her while I'm trying to labor.  I don't want to worry about having to be quiet enough not to wake her  if it's night time, or even if it's just daytime and wants to play and I can't.  And I need DH.  I'm selfish like that, I think.  I'll have my mw and her assistant but it's just not the same as looking at DH and having him tell me I'm doing ok.  Sigh.  BUt you're right, it won't be the end of the world.  Just different than I imagine.

#21 of 374 Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This is all very true!  Nora is just uber sensitive, and I worry about her seeing me in pain.  I think she would understand more than she would know how to deal with emotionally, and not only that, but *I* don't want to be worried about her while I'm trying to labor.  I don't want to worry about having to be quiet enough not to wake her  if it's night time, or even if it's just daytime and wants to play and I can't.  And I need DH.  I'm selfish like that, I think.  I'll have my mw and her assistant but it's just not the same as looking at DH and having him tell me I'm doing ok.  Sigh.  BUt you're right, it won't be the end of the world.  Just different than I imagine.

i understand all of that. that's the ideal and we all want whatever we do to be as close to the ideal as possible. you've done everything you can to make that happen. it doesn't do you or anyone else any good if you worry about it. you don't have any control over what actually happens when it happens. all you can do is plan and set things up. then you have to let it go. kwim? you've really got it all covered. give yourself credit for that.

#22 of 374 Old 08-06-2011, 06:24 AM

You're right.

I talked a bit about it with Chris last night.  That my apprehensions about Nora are probably what's got me most worried.  He looked at me like I was nuts and was like, that's the LAST THING you need to be thinking about.  She will be fine.  Even if she cries a bit when she leaves or is at Mom's she's going to be fine.  Even if she ends up STAYING she's going to be fine.  Just "worry" about what matters and let me take care of that.  What a good guy.  luxlove.gif

How is everyone sleeping?  I've gone back to taking half a benadryl before bed and it really helps.  I get to sleep until about 430 or 5 before waking up hungry or having to pee.  I go to bed around 11.  So that's pretty good, but ugh, I still wake up to ctx and have so much trouble rolling over!!!  LOL!

#23 of 374 Old 08-06-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Ava is home!
Quote:

You're right.

I talked a bit about it with Chris last night.  That my apprehensions about Nora are probably what's got me most worried.  He looked at me like I was nuts and was like, that's the LAST THING you need to be thinking about.  She will be fine.  Even if she cries a bit when she leaves or is at Mom's she's going to be fine.  Even if she ends up STAYING she's going to be fine.  Just "worry" about what matters and let me take care of that.  What a good guy.  luxlove.gif

Aw, now that's a good husband. You've got everything set up and he's going to take care of it all and still be with you when you need him. Sounds like Nora is fine with her grandma so you don't need to worry about that. I remember being so worried when Sean and I went away for a weekend and left E and K with my mom. I thought they would be very upset and wouldn't be able to sleep because they had always slept in the bed with me. My mom said they didn't even notice I was gone. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. rolleyes.gif

we haven't been sleeping too well the last couple of days. D has been having tummy troubles.

#24 of 374 Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Ohhhh!  Yay Ava!!

Carrie-- Doesn't it make you melt when they say things like that? I'm so emotional pregnant that the littlest thing happens and I'm like awwwww. We were out with family a few weeks ago, and a relative tried to touch my belly, and I pulled back and was like "no... my body is still my body, you can touch the baby when it's outside", and it turned into a bit of a tiff with her (apparently being my aunt, she thinks she's entitled). Anyways-- we got home, and DH was like "I just want you to know I'm proud of you for standing up to her". I melted, teary eyes and everything. Over such a small thing!

Nora is a bit younger, but my niece was at her sister's birth when she was 3. She is too a very emotional, sensitive little girl, but she did wonderful at the birth. She was like a little doula the whole time, rubbing her mom's hand, telling her it was ok, she just had to get through a little bit more, it was all for her baby, etc etc. She was making us cry with how intuitive and compassionate she is. 

What about watching a few tame videos with her so that she's a little bit prepared if she is there? Obviously you don't need anything graphic, but just the sounds of a woman grunting and working, to let her know "hey, this might happen, but it's ok! mommy is just working hard"

DH and I somehow have like... a full day off today. I'm bewildered. He's been so busy with the election work, that it's been two weeks since he didn't have to go into the office. We can't get work done on our fence today, which has been our big project, so I think we're going to focus on cleaning the house, which will feel glorious!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#25 of 374 Old 08-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Ava is home!

Aw, now that's a good husband. You've got everything set up and he's going to take care of it all and still be with you when you need him. Sounds like Nora is fine with her grandma so you don't need to worry about that. I remember being so worried when Sean and I went away for a weekend and left E and K with my mom. I thought they would be very upset and wouldn't be able to sleep because they had always slept in the bed with me. My mom said they didn't even notice I was gone. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. rolleyes.gif

we haven't been sleeping too well the last couple of days. D has been having tummy troubles.

Yay!  I'm so happy to hear about Ava being home!!  That is wonderful news.

I really think Nora will be fine w/Grams.  I just need something else to agonize over, lol.

Hmm, still gas?  Did you try the homeopathics?  Otherwise, with Nora we tried gripe water and it usually worked, and I know when she was a little older we did use Mylicon a few times.  I think that's what it was called.  Could it be something like a food sensitivity?  Have you tried eliminating dairy from your diet?

Quote:

Ohhhh!  Yay Ava!!

Carrie-- Doesn't it make you melt when they say things like that? I'm so emotional pregnant that the littlest thing happens and I'm like awwwww. We were out with family a few weeks ago, and a relative tried to touch my belly, and I pulled back and was like "no... my body is still my body, you can touch the baby when it's outside", and it turned into a bit of a tiff with her (apparently being my aunt, she thinks she's entitled). Anyways-- we got home, and DH was like "I just want you to know I'm proud of you for standing up to her". I melted, teary eyes and everything. Over such a small thing!

Nora is a bit younger, but my niece was at her sister's birth when she was 3. She is too a very emotional, sensitive little girl, but she did wonderful at the birth. She was like a little doula the whole time, rubbing her mom's hand, telling her it was ok, she just had to get through a little bit more, it was all for her baby, etc etc. She was making us cry with how intuitive and compassionate she is. 

What about watching a few tame videos with her so that she's a little bit prepared if she is there? Obviously you don't need anything graphic, but just the sounds of a woman grunting and working, to let her know "hey, this might happen, but it's ok! mommy is just working hard"

DH and I somehow have like... a full day off today. I'm bewildered. He's been so busy with the election work, that it's been two weeks since he didn't have to go into the office. We can't get work done on our fence today, which has been our big project, so I think we're going to focus on cleaning the house, which will feel glorious!

Awww!  I so hear you.  The other day I teared up b/c Chris said he thought it was awesome that I drive a stick.  I mean, he taught me and I've been doing it for years, but something about the way he said it made me cry.  LOL.  Love preggo hormones.

I think if Nora WERE 3, it'd be different.  Like closer to 4 or something.  But she's still only 2.  It's tough.  She's watched a few tame water births with me on the computer and is interested, but sometimes I feel like it's just TMI for her.  She usually wants me to skip over the whole thing until the baby is out and in moms arms, lol.

I put all my maternity pics up on FB!  Here...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150206698385387.453385.579845386&l=71d544addf&type=1

That should work...

#26 of 374 Old 08-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Oooh I love the photos!

I get what you mean, she is still very young. It's hard to know how they'll handle something like that. I'm sure it will work out just as it's supposed to in the end though!

We went and got the pack and play. It's perfect, except it's missing one of the poles for the bassinette. Shouldn't be a big deal- I'm sure DH could buy something at home depot to substitute, but I'm going to try evenflo directly first, and see how much a replacement part is. Other than that, it just needs to air out- I think they were smokers. 

_IGP1685.JPG

It even matches our living room. lol. It's going to live in our bedroom though, pushed up against the bed, for nighttime sleeps and changes. Anyways, I'm impressed for $60, and it's one more thing to cross off the list! I can't wait to fill it with all the baby stuff though. Even if it will be months. Squeeeee. 

#27 of 374 Old 08-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Oooh I love the photos!

It even matches our living room. lol. It's going to live in our bedroom though, pushed up against the bed, for nighttime sleeps and changes. Anyways, I'm impressed for $60, and it's one more thing to cross off the list! I can't wait to fill it with all the baby stuff though. Even if it will be months. Squeeeee. 

Thanks!!!

What a steal on that pack and play!!!  Nice!  I really like the pattern, too!!  It is so exciting to see you building stuff up for your little one!!  I know you said you'd be what, 25 weeks for your u/s -- when is that?  How much longer do we have to wait?  LOL!

#28 of 374 Old 08-06-2011, 04:04 PM

23 weeks was Thursday... the ultrasound is on the 23rd I think? Tuesday of that week. It's so close... and yet still seems so far away. 2.5 weeks. But only one until we go away, so I'll be baby shopping still not knowing the gender though, which sucks. We're not buying anything clothing wise- just nursery stuff (I need baskets for the closet organizer, and a nice blanket to use as "the crib blanket"). 

I just noticed you can totally see from that photo how small our house is too. lol. We're standing in the living room, the space to the right is the kitchen, The open doors ahead you can see are our room on the left, and the babys room on the right. The bathroom is in between the living room and our bedroom. You can totally tell why we're anxious to finish the basement and add the extra 700 square feet to the house! After the reno, we'll have a guest bedroom downstairs, a full laundry room with pantry area, two huge storage closets, and then a combined rec room with play area, tv area, and our new open office. I can't wait. 

#29 of 374 Old 08-06-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hmm, still gas?  Did you try the homeopathics?  Otherwise, with Nora we tried gripe water and it usually worked, and I know when she was a little older we did use Mylicon a few times.  I think that's what it was called.  Could it be something like a food sensitivity?  Have you tried eliminating dairy from your diet?

I'm not sure if it was gas last night but think it must have been some tummy trouble. I don't know what else it could have been. I haven't been eating or drinking any dairy so I'm pretty sure it's not that. Although, I haven't eliminated all foods with even the tiniest bit. I think it may have been the dinner my mom made that I then had for lunch the next day, cooked tomatoes. He was very restless the afternoon and evening after I ate that lunch but has been fine today. Back to his marathon napping that makes me so nervous that I wake him up.

I haven't gotten anything yet because I haven't been out and my mom would have no idea what to get. I've looked at that gripe water before. A lot of people recommend it. If I remember correctly, though, I thought there was something questionable in it. Can't remember what now. I'll try it if this keeps happening. I need my sleep.

I didn't mention the age thing because my kids were older. E was 3.5 and K is 4. Nora is almost 3, though. That might make a difference. An almost 3yo is much different than a just 2yo. KWIM?

Personality makes a big difference. E got scared when my labor with K got serious and my mom had to leave the room with him. K, on the other hand, didn't seem phased at all. He stayed sitting on my bed the whole time once he woke up. I do remember being concerned for a second that he might get upset but that quickly disappeared when I had other things to focus on. But you just never know how someone will react until they are in the situation. Like JJ said, it will all work out, especially since you have a plan.

JJ ~ Good deal on the P&P. 23 weeks already?!

My homebirth high is coming down. I've been feeling sad and down the past couple of days. I had to stop taking my placenta capsules because I felt like I was coming down with something and E had a 24 hour thing. The instructions say to stop taking them if you get sick until you are better. I started taking them again today so, hopefully, I'll feel better soon. That's a good way to test how well they work.

#30 of 374 Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:

My homebirth high is coming down. I've been feeling sad and down the past couple of days. I had to stop taking my placenta capsules because I felt like I was coming down with something and E had a 24 hour thing. The instructions say to stop taking them if you get sick until you are better. I started taking them again today so, hopefully, I'll feel better soon. That's a good way to test how well they work.

I hope the capsules help.  I'm really counting on them to work for me, my mood swings and outbursts and tears were just overwhelming for both DH and I last time.  ((Hugs)).

Have you heard from your DH yet?  I hope he is alright.

AFM - Just straightening up today.  Have to install the carseat (DH is going to do that when he gets back from Lowes), do maybe 1 or 2 loads of wash for the birth/nursing clothes, and start packing an emergency transfer bag.  I wasn't going to, but I figure why not?  Plus it might be helpful to have a few things for me and the baby in one bag regardless.

Nothing new as far as ctx today.  Same old.  Maybe a bit more crampy but it could honestly be digestive or RLPs.  I feel heavy.  I was going to weigh myself this morning but I decided not to b/c I just don't care anymore.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page