I'm pregnant with my third - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had some implantation spotting yesterday (August 5), and today tested positive. Need to confirm with my doctor though. I wanted to find out when I'm due? April or May? I can def feel changes already with this third one. I actually feel pregnant unlike my first two pregnancies.

#2 of 16 Old 08-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

When did you ovulate?  Implantation spotting is not really common at all and if you're not sure when you O'd it is more likely that you experienced spotting around the time of your expected AF.  This would change your conception day and due date by a couple days to a week.  Otherwise you can go off your LMP, but O day is much more accurate as most women actual O later than CD 14. 

You can plug your O day or LMP into this calculator: http://www.justmommies.com/duedate.shtml

Based on implantation most likely happening between 8 and 10 DPO, that would put you at April 18-20th or so (though it would be pretty early to get a BFP on 8 DPO, but not impossible!).   If it was spotting around the time of AF and you have a typical 12-14 day LP, then that would put you at April 14-16th or so.  So it's pretty safe to say mid April.

Congrats!!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 16 Old 08-07-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jamie,

I have no idea when I ovulate. I don't keep track (since we weren't really trying for another- but I'm happy none the less). I did have my first menstrual cycle on July 7-July 12 (it ended around that date). I have a 21 day cycle. I checked out the link you posted, and it looks like I'm due early April!

Thanks for the support and well wishes!

#4 of 16 Old 08-07-2011, 01:15 PM

That's a short cycle!  If we assumed this cycle was also going to be 21 days and you have a 10 day LP (usually considered the shortest possible needed to sustain a pregnancy) then we could estimate you would have O'd around CD 11.  That's early, but not at all impossible.  If you assumed a 14 day LP, you have needed to O on CD 7, which I'm not even sure is biologically possible.  Maybe an 11 or 12 day LP, which would O on CD 9 or 10, but I would go with the latest possible date.  So...

CD 1  July 7th

CD 11 possible O day (July 18th)

CD 21 expected AF (July 28th)

CD 29 light spotting (August 5th), 18 DPO

CD 31 today (August 7th), 20 DPO

EDD April 9th, 2012

Is that about what you got with the calculator, too?  That means you had spotting around 18 days past O, which is not implantation spotting, just spotting during pregnancy, which is common.  I had spotting right around that time as well with my first. 

HH9!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#5 of 16 Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jaimee!

I just had a visit with my doctor today. They did a vaginal ultrasound to rule out etopic pregnancy since I am having mild cramping here and there. I was told I am about 4 weeks pregnant (and baby is actually 2 weeks old). My HCG intact was taken today and it read 585.4. Would you know if this is too high or too low for 4 weeks?

#6 of 16 Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Sounds like a great HCG! Check out betabase.info

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#7 of 16 Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 AM

Yes check out the database, but remember that the level itself doesn't matter much- the doubling time is what is important.  Will you be tested again in 48-72 hours?  Otherwise there is a huge range of normal for hCG levels.

So 4 weeks... that would put ovulation even later than we suspected!  Hmmm...  did they say how accurate a 4 week u/s is?  Seems like there wouldn't be much to see in order to date the baby.  But again, pretty safe to say mid-April.  thumb.gif

#8 of 16 Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the link... I'm still unsure about my DPO. The ultrasound didn't show anything other than a very tiny sac which we almost didn't see. I'm not sure how many dpo I am. I had my period on July 7 and I assume implantation on August 5th.

They did recheck my hcg this morning. It is slowly rising... now it's 687 from 585. She wants me to test again this Friday. Not sure why.

#9 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM

The reason your doctor wants to test again is b/c your hCG level did not double in 48 hours.  It is increasing, just slowly.  They like to see doubling within 24-48 hours, but sometimes a perfectly healthy embryo takes 72 hours double the hCG level.  I'm not sure why she's testing tomorrow, though, b/c you may not see doubling then either since it's only been 24 hours, but hopefully you will!  You could request to wait until Monday to test again so that more time has gone by and you'll see more meaningful results.  Or test both times.

As for the sac, I was wondering what they would be able to see at 4 weeks.  A 6-7 week u/s is more helpful so you can see the fetal pole and a heartbeat.  As for timing... if you were 2 weeks past O on the 9th, that would put O on July 26th or a bit earlier and your spotting at 10 DPO or a bit later.  This would be around the time of your expected AF with a 10 day LP.  So again probably not implantation spotting, but it could have been.  There's no way to really confirm.  I assume you have a shorter LP with such a short cycle and if the embryo did implant at 10ish DPO, it would have been flushed with your period.  More likely it implanted earlier than August 5th and what you experienced was spotting around the time of your period, which is very common. 

At any rate, I am sending you doubling thoughts!  Keep us updated!!

#10 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

The reason your doctor wants to test again is b/c your hCG level did not double in 48 hours.  It is increasing, just slowly.  They like to see doubling within 24-48 hours, but sometimes a perfectly healthy embryo takes 72 hours double the hCG level.  I'm not sure why she's testing tomorrow, though, b/c you may not see doubling then either since it's only been 24 hours, but hopefully you will!  You could request to wait until Monday to test again so that more time has gone by and you'll see more meaningful results.  Or test both times.

As for the sac, I was wondering what they would be able to see at 4 weeks.  A 6-7 week u/s is more helpful so you can see the fetal pole and a heartbeat.  As for timing... if you were 2 weeks past O on the 9th, that would put O on July 26th or a bit earlier and your spotting at 10 DPO or a bit later.  This would be around the time of your expected AF with a 10 day LP.  So again probably not implantation spotting, but it could have been.  There's no way to really confirm.  I assume you have a shorter LP with such a short cycle and if the embryo did implant at 10ish DPO, it would have been flushed with your period.  More likely it implanted earlier than August 5th and what you experienced was spotting around the time of your period, which is very common. 

At any rate, I am sending you doubling thoughts!  Keep us updated!!

I couldn't wait till Friday so I went in today. The number rose to 845 from 585... I know it's not a lot but is this considered a 60% rise in 72 hours? My doctor is worried I might have a miscarriage. She wanted to see it double... you were right. I have to take another one this Saturday. What range should it be on Saturday?

#11 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and I think it is strange that a sac was visible on u/s when my hcg level hasn't reached 1,000 yet. I'm so confused and frustrated.

#12 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM

I'm having trouble figuring out the timeline... I think you must be in a very different time zone than me.  Did you get your first hCG test on the 8th or the 9th?  My computer says you posted on the 9th, but very early in the morning, so I think it must have been the 8th that you tested.  So...

8/8  585

8/10 687 (48 hours from first test) 

8/11 845 (72 hours from first test, 24 hours from second test) 

8/13  next test (48 hours from third test, 72 hours from second test)

Well, what your doctor was looking for was a number at least in the 1200 range within that 72 hour period, but preferrably in the 1800+ range.  While your levels are rising, they are not doubling within the normal timeframe, which means your chances of a m/c are, unfortunately, higher.  A weak or non-viable embryo tends to produce less hCG.  I know this must be such a coller coaster for you, I'm so sorry.  But it's not over until it's over so I will continue to send doubling thoughts your way.  By Saturday your doctor would be hoping for a number at least in the 1400 range, but preferrably double your last level, so more like 1900.

As for the u/s, I never really understood the connection between hCG levels and what they expect to see.  Because hCG levels vary so much I'm not sure how they can assume the age of the embryo and therefore what they can see based on just that.  I'm guessing that it's all about averages, though, saying that most women will be far enough along to see a sac once their levels reach 1000.  But some women have much lower levels so by the time they reach 1000 they could be much farther along than average and vice versa.  

At any rate, this becomes a waiting game.  Your levels may continue to increase slowly until the embryo reaches a point where it is no longer viable and then your body will miscarry.  Or your levels may pick up and a perfectly healthy embryo establish itself.  sticky.gif  

On a personal note, I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, I've had two early m/c's and if a m/c has to happen, I always took comfort in knowing that my body knew what to do.  It knows that something is not right and it takes care of it the way nature intended.  Of course I hope dearly this is not what has to happen here, but maybe that idea will help you too? 

#13 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Jaimee,

I live in Hawaii (Oahu), so I'm on a different time zone from you. Thank you so much for your support and knowledge. I never understood this entire process until this third pregnancy. I never went through this with my first two. I had morning sickness right off the bat with both of them. With this one, I barely have any morning sickness... I don't really "feel" pregnant and I really want to. Yes, it is quite stressful and depressing. I'm trying not to think about it. 

I'm sorry for your miscarriages. Were you able to conceive successfully after and how long after? I really thought I was having a boy, because I wasn't experiencing anything and seem to have more energy. I hope my numbers have doubled by tomorrow as well, but I don't "feel" any different (no nausea or anything).

I'll keep you posted.

#14 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 06:44 PM

After my first loss I conceived my dd the very next cycle.  After my second loss we started to avoid and ended up conceiving anyway 2 cycles later.  I really think that very early losses tend to increase your fertility as your hormone levels remain slightly elevated after the pregnancy.

While it is true that women who are about to m/c or are in the process of miscarrying tend to experience decreased pregnancy symptoms, there are also plenty of women that don't have any symptoms early on or even at all.  Each pregnancy can be quite different.  So your lack of nausea could be indicative of what is to come or not. 

Fingers crossed for a happy number tomorrow!

#15 of 16 Old 08-13-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Sad news to report. I am in the process of miscarrying, because I have been having heavy bleeding. It feels like the normal period physically. Emotionally I'm very sad. Even though this baby wasn't planned, I was still happy and love her/him. This loss actually inspires me to try for one more baby. I'm thinking I will try in October. I haven't confirmed my loss yet with the doctor... I will see her on Monday. I never experienced a miscarriage, so I really don't know what to expect in terms of my body and how long I will get back to normal =( During my early ultrasound, I remember her mentioning I had some cysts which is normal because I'm having a baby and I'm supposed to have it. Could the cysts possibly have caused my miscarriage? She pointed them out to me... there were three little ones.

I really appreciate your support and feedback... it really means a lot to me *hugs*

#16 of 16 Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 PM

I'm so sorry mama!  Often the physical experience of an early m/c is not much different than a period, though it could be heavier and crampier than usual.  There is a great thread in the Pregnancy Loss forum about what to expect during a m/c.  The thread is often difficult to read, but there are a wide variety of experiences detailed there from very early losses to late losses.  Sometimes it helps to hear stories of what others in similar situations have gone through.  Your body will likely recover quite quickly, though ovulation might be a bit delayed next month (and hence AF).  When I had a 4 week loss it took over three weeks for me to O the next cycle 

Emotionally, everyone is so different.  With my first early loss I was rearing to go again the next cycle.  With my second early loss, I was sort of a wreck for 2 weeks.  I would cry randomly, my mood would go up and down and I'd never know when it would hit me.  I'd be hanging laundry or working in the garden and suddenly a total mess.  My dh was so relieved that I wasn't pg that it made it difficult for us to relate and for him to comfort me.  I felt like I had to get over it already, but I couldn't.  But by the time I O'd the next cycle I was feeling much better.  I'm sure quite a bit of it had to do with the hormones and O'ing again really helped in my case.

((HUGS))  Thinking of you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page