Does anybody know how hard it is to learn to use a fetoscope? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm assuming I couldn't use it on myself, so I'm wondering if my dh could learn to use it.   Also, there are ones for $15, and ones for $100+, anybody know if there's a huge difference in quality/ease of use?

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM

It's not hard at all!  The hardest part is waiting til your baby is big enough to hear faintly, which IME, using one through 3 pregnancies, has been 18-20 weeks.  At 26 weeks it's now much louder, though how loud depends on the baby's position.   DH always finds it, counts the beats with his watch, and then I listen.  So sure, you can use it on yourself.  smile.gif

Ours was about $20 through Amazon.com.  It works great.  I have to say, it is always a very bonding experience for my DH before the baby is born.  The baby will kick at the fetoscope, it's a fun game!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#3 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  Waiting another few weeks would be hard, but I'm glad to know it can be done!

#4 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM

I bought mine on ebay ($15 or less including shipping). I always used it on myself. I just put pressure on it that I felt comfortable with. You'll hear your heartbeat, maybe the swish of the placenta and the fast hb of the baby. I found it at 16 weeks but that was really early.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#5 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 AM

We got that under $20 one on Amazon too, and figured it out the first night.  I think it worked around week 18 or something, but it's hard to remember.  If DH does the forehead thing, I can listen through the earphones and hear the babe.  These days I can hear the babe on my own, just by pressing the end in with my hand.

Our baby kicked the fetoscope too.  smile.gif

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page