Silly, but is salmon roe ok?!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-18-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my family is having a big Russian feast for my mom's wedding and celebrating with traditional Russian foods. I am so excited, because thus far this pregnancy is a stereotype....I am craving all pickled, salty things, unfortunately for my *normally* super-healthy eating habits. *Sigh* And Russians LOVE that stuff. Pickled cabbage (kind of like kim chee, but not spicy), pickled tomatoes and cucumbers, etc. 

There will be lots of caviar and salmon roe (Russians use it on sandwiches and such) and I am craving it so MUCH. I normally watch my fish intake, even of low-mercury fish like salmon (I DO think the nutritional value in salmon's case outweighs the environmental risks), also because of PCBs. 

Does anyone know if fish eggs are likely to have more or less contaminants?!? I can't find any definitive info online, and it leaves me kind of unsure. Logistically, the fish "meat" accumulates toxins over time, especially with older, larger, bottom feeders. Does that mean that fish roe would have less yuckies? ANyone know? Theories? (Hoping for a green light on this one. Hee hee).

Thanks ahead of time!

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you should go to the event and enjoy your cravings with abandon! As with most concerns/recommendations regarding this type of restriction in pregnancy a little common sense and moderation go a long way.

Here are a couple of links that might give you the confidence to indulge...

http://blog.epa.gov/blog/2009/02/05/sushi-and-mercury/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/344232-fish-egg-nutrition/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page