~primal/paleo pregnancy~ - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 115 Old 12-18-2011, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well in this case the CNM practice is connected to our largest clinic/hospital. They're very much "medwives." So I don't think it's that they thought she was too unhealthy to have a hospital birth with a CNM, but that the administration of their clinic/hospital was. This is the same hospital that likes to put healthy full term babies into the NICU for 2-6 days. Unfortunately this CNM practice is hands down the most popular group to birth with in town, and I have heard too many horror stories to think they're worth seeing. When I had my OB ultrasound freak out I didn't even call them, and several of my local friends wondered why. GTT at 8 weeks, group appts, stricter rules for patient compliance were the reasons.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#92 of 115 Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 PM

I'm not getting any screening except basic bloods, BP etc, I just don't see the point unless my midwife has concerns. And blood glucose levels and insulin sensitivity change in pregnancy anyway, making all pregnant mums a bit insulin resistant. If I took that much glucose in one hit I'd be a basket case.

#93 of 115 Old 12-19-2011, 03:59 PM

Can I join in? I'm actually due May 9th...but could use the support. I was doing primal for about 4 months (with some cheats) to lose weight before I got pregnant and didn't lose anything but I felt great. I think I overdid dairy and have now eliminated it although I have been eating too much rice and potatoes this pregnancy and had quite a bit of take out bag.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#94 of 115 Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 PM

Welcome sosurreal! You’re going well if it’s just rice and potatoes! Practically all I could eat for the first 10 weeks was bread, fruit and juice! I’m back on track now and feeling much better, loving my eggs again (they made me barf before), at week 14. I have been primal for about 3 years, off and on, but pretty much on track for the past 18 months. It was a big shock to feel so rubbish and not want to eat any meat, as I love my meat. I have paid the price with gaining more fat than I would have liked but it may just be because I am showing. When you go from flat flat tummy to being pregnant there is just nowhere to put it! I’m not due till June but it’s nice to compare stories with others who are like-minded. I have my fingers crossed that the first trimester was the worst.

#95 of 115 Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Moved to I'm Pregnant where it is more suitably posted. 

#96 of 115 Old 12-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Thanks Cynthia!

Married to my favorite man in '07. Our firstborn came along in April 2012 (HBC), and our second is on the way, due sometime in May 2014 (planning an HBAC).
#97 of 115 Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZPixie View Post

Welcome sosurreal! You’re going well if it’s just rice and potatoes! Practically all I could eat for the first 10 weeks was bread, fruit and juice! I’m back on track now and feeling much better, loving my eggs again (they made me barf before), at week 14. I have been primal for about 3 years, off and on, but pretty much on track for the past 18 months. It was a big shock to feel so rubbish and not want to eat any meat, as I love my meat. I have paid the price with gaining more fat than I would have liked but it may just be because I am showing. When you go from flat flat tummy to being pregnant there is just nowhere to put it! I’m not due till June but it’s nice to compare stories with others who are like-minded. I have my fingers crossed that the first trimester was the worst.

Yeah I was on a crossaint kick in my first tri but they were 53% butter haha

What do you guys think about eggs? Is there a point where you can eat too many? My DD is 27 m/o and ate 5 eggs and 4 sausages today (3 and 2 as breakfast and then 2 and 2 for a "snack" it was my food actually the second time...) We didn't get pastured but we do get the Land O Lakes omega 3 eggs (which have 350 grams per egg).

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#98 of 115 Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 PM

I'd only get pastured eggs but I wouldn't think there would be any issue with eating too many eggs. Maybe you could over do it on egg whites but not on yolks, if you were concerned I'd do two or three whole eggs and then separate them and just use yolks. I have heard that omega eggs are not such a good idea as they create them by feeding the chickens flaxseed in quite large quantities, which is not that healthy for them. Flaxseed is im sure fine as a small part of a chickens diet but not in the amounts they feed them.

#99 of 115 Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Yeah I was on a crossaint kick in my first tri but they were 53% butter haha

What do you guys think about eggs? Is there a point where you can eat too many? My DD is 27 m/o and ate 5 eggs and 4 sausages today (3 and 2 as breakfast and then 2 and 2 for a "snack" it was my food actually the second time...) We didn't get pastured but we do get the Land O Lakes omega 3 eggs (which have 350 grams per egg).

Sounds like a great eater.  I would be worrying about the nitrates in the sausage far more than the eggs. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#100 of 115 Old 12-23-2011, 06:16 AM

The sausage don't have nitrates? The ingredients are pork and spices that's it. If I get the ones with the lamb casing that is the 3rd ingredient.

As far as pastured eggs go it's winter here right now anyway and the hens are in their coops and eating feed. When the weather gets nice again I'm going to hunt for eggs! (the only ones I found were $5 a carton EEK but I saw a couple houses with signs out recently.

#101 of 115 Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

thanks cynthia for moving this thread!!! :)

it's crazy what some people charge for pastured eggs anymore~~they used to be the practically the same price as the other eggs, now they're more than double the price.  we only use the 'good eggs' for eggnogs, and just have the factory farmed ones for regular cooking anymore.  we just cant afford the jacked up prices.  there seems to be a crazy attitude around here that people should want to pay out the nose for local, slow food.  when prices for pretty much everything have gone thru the roof, we've had to make some compromises on things.  otherwise, i'd have to give up being a sahm/homeschooling mom, put my kiddo back into a school system that was crushing his soul and go back to work in order to afford food.  LOL  ...not happening!!

is everyone ready for christmas??  in the next couple of days, i plan to run into the proverbial honey tree and have some seasonal treats~~still clean, no chemicals, etc, but a lot sweeter probably than anything i've eaten in a long long long time.  i still have to use moderation, if i have too many carbs, i puff right up.  i dont think that can be good for me or for the baby!!

soo many yummy treats on here: http://www.dessertstalker.com/

heartbeat.gif

#102 of 115 Old 12-24-2011, 09:14 AM

bag.gif I'm eating w/e my MIL is cooking....I plan to stay away from carbs as much as possible. I got gluten free pie crusts though...making chocolate cream pie with coconut milk (instead of dairy) and coconut whipped cream

#103 of 115 Old 01-04-2012, 11:24 AM

So we did allergy testing so far DD is allergic to eggs WTH can I give this kid for breakfast now?

#104 of 115 Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

So we did allergy testing so far DD is allergic to eggs WTH can I give this kid for breakfast now?

Bacon, sausage, potatoes.  Smoothies made with nut butter. 

Is she allergic to yolk, whites or both?  If it's only one or the other, you can separate them and still use the one she tolerates in recipes (double the amount if you're only using half the egg). 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#105 of 115 Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Allergic to both :(

I could try hash and sausage type of deal I suppose!

#106 of 115 Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 PM

I'm so glad to have found this thread! I've been paleo/primal for one year and we're going to start trying to get pregnant next month. Sorry if I'm crashing this thread as a not-yet-pregnant poster.

Question: on a good paleo diet, did any of you still make prenatals a priority? I'm concerned about taking them unnecessarily, but don't want to avoid them if they'll provide a benefit.

Thanks so much!

Teacher, wife, food-geek. Celebrating 11 amazing years with my husband this year. We're in our mid-30's and excited to have our first baby in March 2013! smile.gif

#107 of 115 Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM

For pre-natals, I decided not to take the typical prenatal vitamins they sell at the pharmacy, the ones with like 50 different vitamins and minerals in it.  Instead I continue to take the vitamins I took before I became pregnant, though my Dr gave me some free samples of Jamieson pre-natal and I take them when I forget my other pills.  The only things I added to what I was already taking were Folate (FolaPro by Metagenics containing methyltetrahydofolate, not folic acid), and a B6/B12 combo.  I tried getting my folate mostly from kale and organic liver but during the moring sickness I couldn't even look at liver.  I also take 3000 I/U vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Magnesium, and Krill Oil. 

While I do think a paleo diet generally provides the nutrition I need while pregnant, I feel the nausea and various cravings distort what I should be eating so I'm not opposed to supplementing or using a good multi, personally.

LaRue

#108 of 115 Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 AM

I take the New Chapter Organics whole food vitamins and a fish oil.

#109 of 115 Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 AM

@ Shawnamarie, I'm right there with you on the blog-crashing!

My husband and I recently took the paleo plunge, and I've been doing a bit of research lately to make sure it's something that I can/should sustain when we start trying in the next 3-ish months. I'm so so glad to have found this thread...everything else I've seen has been inactive for a year +. I'll probably just be the occasional lurker for now, but I already appreciate all the advice you mamas are doling out. It's obvious this will be a great resource in the future :)

#110 of 115 Old 01-24-2012, 12:08 AM

Hey!  Was browsing & just found this thread!  So excited to know there are even more Primal/Paleo mamas!

I'm the author of the the Primal pregnancy blog post Moss posted on page 1:

http://www.primaltoad.com/primal-pregnancy/

If you are interested, check out my blog for more related articles.  My fave for my clients to read is this one on Vitamin D:

http://www.sondrarose.com/vitamin-d-deficiency-pregnancy

wave.gif

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#111 of 115 Old 01-24-2012, 08:56 PM

Well, we are officially trying now! I'm really interested to see how long it takes for me to get pregnant. This will be my first pregnancy and I'm 34 years old. I've been doing primal for just over a year and crossfit for just over 6 months.

I've been checking my temp and doing other FAM methods to avoid pregnancy for years so now I'll just switch the intention behind it. Wish us luck!

Teacher, wife, food-geek. Celebrating 11 amazing years with my husband this year. We're in our mid-30's and excited to have our first baby in March 2013! smile.gif

#112 of 115 Old 01-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnamarie View Post

Well, we are officially trying now! I'm really interested to see how long it takes for me to get pregnant. This will be my first pregnancy and I'm 34 years old. I've been doing primal for just over a year and crossfit for just over 6 months.

I've been checking my temp and doing other FAM methods to avoid pregnancy for years so now I'll just switch the intention behind it. Wish us luck!

I have heard of a lot of people who were "infertile" getting pregnant on this diet so hope it's fast!

#113 of 115 Old 02-01-2012, 02:22 PM

New to this thread, so hi :)

We just learned that we are expecting baby #2. We've been Paleo/primal since September of 2011, so this will be my first paleo pregnancy. 

#114 of 115 Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Well I am now 20 weeks and feeling great! I have been eating higher carbs than before pregnancy but I am not a low-carb paleo anyway as I am super active. I am eating around 100-150gms per day now, as opposed to more like 80gms before, but I'm not paying that much attention. Have only gained 4kg and 4% bodyfat so fat, although I know that will increase as time goes on. Feeling good energy wise. Hope you are all great too.

lovestolearn likes this.
#115 of 115 Old 02-11-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm at 30 weeks right now and have been taking in more carbs as well.  I've gained about 20 lbs.  Lately i've only been able to tolerate small amounts of food at one time (my stomach is really compressed by growing baby at this point and there's not much physical space for food), so have been working on making sure that i'm getting small portions of nutrient dense foods throughout the day.  One of my staples right now is my trusty bag of walnuts that i keep handy.  Or cubes of creamed coconut. 

I'm planning some treats for Valentine's day :)  On the menu are bacon roses, raspberries filled with dark chocolate or chocolate frosting shots (like these: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/16/chocolate-frosting-shots/ )...  We're all excited about the bacon roses!!  http://www.instructables.com/id/Bacon-Roses/  i was going to skip the part about putting them on plastic stems (ew!) and serve them on a bed of greens, side of asparagus topped with coconut oil, etc

Anyone else planning something special for valentines' day?

blowkiss.gif

heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page