Has anyone had a sono as early as 14dpo, and if so what did you see? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My hcg levels continue to rise, but sono today at 14dpo showed nothing in uterus.  Tube looked clear though.  They think it is eptopic, and are pushing to terminate, but obviously "we think" is not quite good enough of a confirmation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 03:07 PM

I had one at 14 dpo. Nothing but a slightly thicker uterine lining was seen. I also had an ectopic (different pregnancy). With the ectopic my HGC was slow to double (80 hour doubing time at 4-5k) and a small mass was seen outside of my uterus. I have no idea how far along I was...6 weeks? Before the HCG/scan I had a sudden HUGE amount of pain on my right side. The pain peaked and tapered off within an hour.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  SO a new twist.  My GP, who ordered the sono, called my OB.  OB called me.  Said my hcg levels at 11dpo were 107 and at 14dpo were 448. She said that often they do not see an egg sack until hcg hits 1500.  And that my rise of 4x in 72 hours was great.  They are doing another hcg tomorrow before we leave town for 8 days, and if that one has doubled, and I have no pain while gone, they will assume it is viable!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes.gifscared.gif I can't believe they wanted to push to terminate after not seeing anything at 14dpo! Your hcg levels are rising wonderfully and there is no reasonable expectation to see anything by u/s at that point. We had to wait until 5 weeks to have any hope of seeing a sac. From my understanding, any concern or danger of ectopic pregnancy would appear later, and be accompanied by pain. Hang in there, I think you and your little one are probably doing great!

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

Old 08-24-2011, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had a thread like this :) My obs did a scan at dpo 12 or something (dpo means past ovulation, right?) and then something like every three days. And could see nothing until week 5. He was not worried, but I panicked (read my thread :) ) I was sooo afraid, and I will never ever have a scan that early ever again. That was just plain stupid. At week 5 + 3 they saw the little bubble but no heartbeat - which panicked me again, but slightly less :) 

And - my doctor was (I changed for other reasons) has one of the best scan machines possible. 

I feel for you, hope everything will work out just fine ( a friend of mine did not see "anything" on the scan until week 7 or something) 

Hugs!

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 AM

I experienced this with my second pregnancy, although there was no mention of termination, thankfully! At the first ultrasound I had low but rising HcG levels and nothing apparent on the ultrasound other than (like a previous poster) thickening uterine tissue. I was told that it could be an ectopic pregnancy, an early miscarriage or just too early to see anything. They had me come back twice over four days to check my hormone levels and scheduled another ultrasound for two weeks later. Hormones continued to double and egg sac was visible on the repeat ultrasound. In retrospect they told me that the combination of the very early ultrasound, location of the egg and my 'tilted' uterus all probably contributed to their inability to confirm what was in fact a healthy, viable pregnancy. Best to you!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:03 AM

I had early scans because it was pre-determined that I had a blocked fallopian tube, so they wanted to make sure it wasn't ectopic.  At about 15-16dpo, there was nothing on the ultrasound.  We kept checking my HCG levels until they reached a certain point (were doubling just fine) - I think it was around 1200-1500.  Once we got there, did another scan and saw a yolk sac (no heartbeat or anything).  Doc was happy at that point that it wasn't ectopic and was most likely viable, so no more scans until I was 17 weeks.  So yeah, nothing on the scan at 14dpo is totally normal.  

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

User Tag List