Any tips/tricks to passing the GD test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pregnant with Baby #4. First and third I was diagnosed with GD. First i did the 1 hour and failed and then failed the 3 hour. 2nd baby I passed the 1 hour. Third baby I failed the 1 hour and just said to heck with it, just stick me with the GD label and I'll eat healthy and my OB said that was fine. They wanted me to test my sugars at home and I said that I wasn't interested in doing that as I pretty much hate all needles. My babies ranged in pounds from 7'2oz. with the first to 8'9oz. with the third and none of them had/has a sugar or diabetes issue.

I'm wondering this go round if I decide to go ahead and take the 1 hour if there are better ways to pass the test? Advice? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 AM

Have you thought about just going ahead and monitoring your sugars at home? I think that's what I'll do next time. If your sugars are well controlled, I don't see why you have to even take the test. Other than that I don't think there's anything you can do to pass the test if you have insulin resistance, besides of course eliminating any controllable risk factors.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 AM

There's research that shows that 24 hours after exercise, blood sugar levels are reduced.  This suggests (in addition to an argument for regular exercise) that exercising the day before the test would help give you a moderate result. 

I failed the one hour and passed the three hour with my first pregnancy.  My "failed" test was a borderline high case where I had eaten a high carb meal just before arriving for the appt (like in the car on the way).  The lesson learned for me is not to eat in the hour or two before the test.  

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
Old 08-31-2011, 08:32 AM

You should also try to exercise in the hour between drinking the glucose and the blood draw.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

ime they want you to stay in the waiting room, in large part 'cause they do not want you exercising in that time period.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 09-01-2011, 05:35 PM

When you were diagnosed with GD for other pregnancies, were you able to keep it under control with diet and exercise?

Are you trying to avoid the "label" in order to have a certain kind of birth?

Is you doctor/midwife open to you just monitoring on your own and not taking the 3-hour test, given your history?

I guess my question is, what happens after you pass the test, given your history?

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

User Tag List