September 2011 Whatever Ladies Having Babies! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

poor baby - and you! hope you are able to rest today

pics done! Gabe didn't want anything to do with my belly, but we did the best we could. Maybe we'll be able to get a few good ones at the shower on SundayIMG_3389.jpgIMG_3384.jpgIMG_3358.jpg

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 01:52 PM

those are beautiful pics, kat! you always look so pretty.

carrie ~ i was wondering what the trouble with side lying was. i hope it gets better soon. idk what i'd do if i always had to get up to nurse. i'd be one very grumpy mommy, i'm afraid. i do not do well when i'm sleep-deprived.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Kat - You look fabulous!!  And look at your little cutie pie!  Aww!  I'm so so happy you did pictures!  You'll never regret them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

carrie ~ i was wondering what the trouble with side lying was. i hope it gets better soon. idk what i'd do if i always had to get up to nurse. i'd be one very grumpy mommy, i'm afraid. i do not do well when i'm sleep-deprived.

TBH, I am a very grumpy mama!  It's hard, I'm so short fused with Nora.  I try so hard but her tantrums are epic lately and she brings me to my knees in ways I never knew was possible.  Sigh.

I'm hoping by 3 months, this whole spitting up thing is in the past.  I'm so tired of it!  But like I said, his dipes are good and he's gaining weight, so it's ... just a laundry issue.  Gah!

Nora went to gmas for the whole afternoon!! She had a potty accident and I didn't pack extra panties for her (whoops) so my MIL texted me and was like nvm I found pullups, don't worry.  I was like, oh no no no.  Pls don't put her in pullups she HAS to learn potty accidents are NOT ok.  I told her to just put her knit shorts back on and DH would run over with a few extra pairs of panties.  Turned out it wasn't truly an accident, she went potty and then was done, went back to playing.  Then while she was playing she suddenly jumped up and had to go again, and just didn't make it fast enough.  It was #2 and was (sorry, TMI) a bit loose so she just had a tummy ache.  She only 3 years old!  I think she did fabulous and accidents like that are part of the process. So I'm not upset about her having the accident like I was when my MIL first texted me.

Regardless, I took Finn grocery shopping with me, then came home and got a good 2 hour nap in!  Yay!  Mama is feeling rested!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM

Maybe Nora's tantrums are a response to your sleep-deprivation (among other things). I'm not blaming you so, please, don't take it that way. It is very possible, though, that she is extra-sensitive because you are so tired and grumpy. My kids act up more when I'm in a bad mood because I set the tone. KWIM?

I'm at a loss of what to do about K pooing in his pants. I keep him in Pull-Ups because I cannot stand to clean poo that has smeared all down his legs from trying to take underwear off. Having to clean him up or put him in the shower 3 times a day is wearing me out.

I am so tired now. Sleepiness just suddenly hit me. No sore boobies, though, so not mastitis this time. fingersx.gif We had a good day. I had to go out and run some errands and D was wonderful in the car. Not a peep out of him the whole time we were out. He's getting where he can spend more and more time sitting in his seat or laying on his blanket rather than always in my arms. It gives me a few extra moments to get some things done.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

We are definitely feeding off each other.  Don't worry, no offense taken, it's just the nature of the beast right now.  

Glad you had a good day!  Those are always welcome!  How trained was K?  Was he doing really well and regressed, or was he still having some misses here and there?  Nora was pretty much solid, so I don't want her going backwards if I can help it.  

Re: cds - I'm looking for something a little trimmer than the BG's.  Whats a really good pocket or AIO, preferably OS, that's nice and trim?  GroVias are nice but pricey.  Any other ideas?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 PM

K had been using the toilet without any accidents for at least 3 weekes by the time D was born. He has completely regressed since then. Ethan actually put him in the shower tonight to get him clean. thumb.gif

The Muttaqin AI2s I have are OS and very trim. They are kind of pricey and I haven't used them much to tell you how well they work but I really like my Muttaqin OS cloth. I think she stocked some today. http://hyenacart.com/MuttaqinBaby/ I just checked and she doesn't have any OSes now, but if you join her Yahoo group, you'll get an email when she stocks. OS dipes cost more up front but cost less in the long run if you only have to buy one set. i really like swaddlebees but i don't know what they have now. it's not the same as when i got them 4 years ago.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:19 PM

akind1, love the photos! Now I wish I had done maternity photos!

Baby_Cakes, you think the BG 4.0s are bulky? I put those on when I want something trim! lol.gif

What's up with the tummy issues? I have had an upset stomach most of the day and tonight, DD threw up. I can't tell if it was from an upset tummy or if she just ate too much. But whatever it was, it's no fun. She's asleep now but she was so pitiful for the past couple of hours!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 09-16-2011, 05:48 AM

I think they are only bulky right now because they are on the smallest setting (Carrie, correct me if I'm wrong) - I LOVE my swaddlebees (or blueberries - same company) - but I have the sized diapers. Technically DS can fit in either a medium or a large at the moment. I mean, there is not telling how Finn will grow, but he's almost at a point where mediums would fit, and while not OS, mediums seem to go a LONG way. (FWIW, Swaddlebees makes OS dipes, I just use the sized diapers because they are significantly cheaper) - stalk diaperswappers and see if you can find some OS AIO's for cheap. (or at least less than full price)

Thanks for the compliments on the pics - DH did a great job! - I'm glad we did them, even though I think DH wasn't too thrilled about doing them, he likes how they turned out. I used to not like my picture taken - still don't really - but I"m only going to pregnant with this baby once, and I want some tangible reminders. I also want BF'ing pics this time too. I was a little reluctant with DS, but I've seen such tasteful ones done that I'm really excited to try to do some with Norah.

DS has gone down to bed so easily the last few nights! like 5 minutes tops! I am so glad - I hope it lasts!

Baby girl was moving in some super uncomfortable/borderline painful ways last night before I laid down. I don't know if it was my position or hers, or a combination. But really, I'm ready for her to do her squirming on the OUTSIDE!

scored some great deals at consignment last night. my mom got the pack n play/bassinet I wanted for only $40! so that was fantastic, I got DS enough jeans - with the adjustable waist! - and a couple items for DD. I still really need sneakers for DS - all the ones they had were extremely beat up. I think I'll have to buy those new, so need to watch for sales.

Busy weekend ahead, hopefully will distract me from wanting Norah to come sooner than later . . .

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 09-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Annie ~ What dipes do you usually use?

We had tummy problems last weekend and earlier this week. On day Dylan threw up what seemed to be a ton of breastmilk. I couldn't believe he even had that much in him! He's only spit up maybe 3 times total so that was very surprising. It was only the one time, though. Oh, and the one really nasty poo. Maybe that was part of it all. My neighbor had a bad day, too.

I agree that mediums do seem to last. As big as my babies were, we never needed large diapers. Swaddlebees are the trimmest diapers I've used. I really like them for that and they are super-absorbent, never leaked. The nice about their AIOs (if they are made the same) is that they are pockets, too, so you can stuff them with an extra soaker if you need more. They don't make a diaper without PUL anymore, though, do they, Kat? Or maybe it was hemp. I know I couldn't find diapers like the ones I had for K. I gave them to a friend who was supposed to give them back but she totally flaked on me and dropped off the face of the earth and I never heard from her again. She lived in SC. Kat, maybe you can find her and get them back for me. lol.gif

I like the Rainshine Design OS pockets I have. I got them in a co-op so I don't know their availability or how much they cost retail. Have you tried Fuzzibunz OS pockets? I've not tried their OSes but I have a few old style sized pockets and think they are really trim.

D slept almost too well last night. It was weird. There were 2 or 3 times when he got restless and was doing his hard grunting. I tried burping him, which worked sometimes, and nursing him. He would only nurse for, literally, a few seconds. I don't think it was even a minute each time. Then he'd go back to sleep. I don't think he got much milk. I guess that's ok because he wasn't fussy like he was hungry. I was right there offering. He just didn't want it or couldn't stay awake long enough. shrug.gif

Kat ~ One more thing. I don't think you are supposed to buy used shoes, especially for kids. I remember reading once that the shoes become at least somewhat conformed to the original wearer and will never fit anyone else properly.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I bet it is b/c they are on the smallest rise setting.  Duh.  Maybe once he's bigger they won't seem so bulky.

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy more diapers so I don't have to wash as often, or just buy sposies to fill in the gaps.  Sigh.  Do I really want to shell out another maybe $100 for an extra day or so, or should I just keep doing what I'm doing?  Decisions.

I think I figured out what I'm going to do IRT the trash can sitch.  I'm going to get a smaller trash can for the sposies, and use the big lidded 13 gallon w/lid can for my wet bag.  Ta-da.  The sposies will get thrown out daily and the cloth will be in a can.  I'm a genius.

That nap yesterday was exactly what I needed, and Finnley slept great last night, too.  I'm a new woman today!

Re: shoes - We like Sketchers for DD, and we also buy play shoes at Target.  I hate to spend even more than $10 on shoes she'll get completely mudded up/wet/dirty.  Sketchers can be pricey even at the outlets.  Her current pair were only $20 but still, those are her shopping shoes and not her play-outside shoes.

Oh - I think I figured out my sling.  I'm getting to be a pro and it's really comfy now.  If I start it up high enough and tighten the top rail first, it gets tight enough to hold him in place but not too tight that it hurts my neck.  I'm super happy b/c it's much easier for me to use than the wrap -- even though the wrap is ultimately more comfortable long term.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 AM

MW: generally I don't buy used shoes; however these don't look like they were worn at all; they are on the dressier side, so maybe if they were, it was maybe once? or maybe they bought the wrong size :shrug who knows? A lot of times stuff at consignment is still new with tags, so you can luck out buying new things for way less than retail.

Carrie - as far as diapers . . . you shell out maybe $100 for an extra day that will last you forever (or at least a long time) or shell out maybe $20 a week? IDK I don't buy sposies on a regular basis so forget how much they cost . . .either way, up to you! I think for us, we'll just continue to put stinky diapers in disposable baggies and toss in the regular trash (when we are using sposies on Norah and Gabe) - right now stinky cloth goes in a baggie, and then in the diaper pail. I think I want a second one, but DH isn't convinced. right now the pail hold exactly enough diapers for me to do laundry about twice a week. Once the new baby arrives, not so much. But then, I'll likely be wanting to do wash every other day then.

hooray on your genius-ness! and a nap!

The swaddlebees/blueberries I have do still work like a pocket, plus the inside bit flips out in the wash, so it also washes and dries like a pocket. (the insert is only sewn in one end) however, I am pretty sure most of it is things alot of people don't like - PUL on the outside, and I'm sure the inner has some sort of poly- too. however, I don't mind, and they have really cute patterns . . . DS has worn their medium from around 14 lbs until now, and he's about 24 lbs I think. New they run about $18 each. though I've scored some like-new ones on diaperswappers for around $10 each.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM

I have three types of dipes that I use. I have 2 dz yellow edge 3rds from GMD, 12 Flip stay-dry inserts and 4 BG 4.0s. Right now I'm still putting the newborn inserts in the BGs. The Flip covers are basically the BGs without a liner. I've pretty much gotten in to the habit of using the GMDs at home and the Flips/BGs when we go out. Also I've started putting DD in the Flips at night since she's sleeping longer.

Baby_Cakes, have you looked on craigslist for diapers? I have found some great deals on there.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so, I got the Funk Rock.  Directions said to do a 30 min soak first, then wash.  I didn't feel comfortable doing a soak with soiled diapers.  Something seemed wrong about that, diapers soaking in poopy water.  So I'm going to wash them first and then do a soak and then wash again.  I'm also not going to wash the wet bag with them.  I think maybe the PUL from the wet bag is making them smell?  Maybe?  Worth a shot leaving it out for now.  Hopefully my dipes are fresh as roses when this is all said and done...otherwise, idk what I'm going to do.  

I just checked craigslist, thanks for the idea.  Nothing right now but I'll keep looking back!!

Any other postpartum mamas still in maternity clothes?  I'm down to 167 but NONE of my pre-preg clothes fit.  I bought a few new tops from target and one pair of shorts, but I don't want to spend $$ on jeans.  I should.  I'm sick to death of pulling up these stupid maternity jeans!  I have some lounge wear that I live in, but sometimes i just want jeans and a t shirt.  Especially now if the weather stays cool, you know?  I just can't wait to get back into better shape!!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:44 AM

See if you can find jeans on clearance or something. Maternity jeans (at least mine) suck!  I will probably wear them today, because it's chilly, but I really, really don't like them! With DS, I had lost a good bit of weight prior to getting pregnant and still had my larger jeans, and I fit in them right after. I am really hoping, since I've not gained much this time, that I fit right back into my pre-pregnancy jeans. I miss them!

Yeah, I might do at least a good rinse prior to soaking. I hope it works! I found that my Planet Wise wetbag did smell up the wash. It's why I gave up on it and just use trash bags. More waste, less hassle.

I love DS's naptime! I sure hope he keeps these long afternoon naps up after the baby arrives, because I have a feeling that we all will need it!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM

I'm still completely in maternity clothes and DD is almost 9 weeks old! redface.gif I have lost almost all of my pg weight but I tried on my regular pants the other day and they just don't fit right. Plus I like the full panel coverage when I'm pumping since I don't have DD to shield my belly.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:40 AM

gosh, I keep losing the thread. greensad.gif

I'm still in maternity clothes.  I lost 20 lbs at delivery & then another 5 over the first week, but maybe 1 since then.  So I'm still up almost 15 lbs.  I haven't even tried on my non-maternity stuff b/c I know how discouraging that would be!  I should start walking again.  

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 09-16-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

ok, im in such good company, i feel better.  lol.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Haha, Carrie! I'd been thinking about that post you made on FB about a new pair of pants or something. You said you finally fit into something, I think. I meant to post that I finally fit back into my maternity clothes. lol.gif At the end of my pg I got too big for most of my mat clothes but refused to buy more. Now that I'm down about 30 lbs. I can wear most of my mat clothes comfortably again. There's still one pair of shorts that uncomfortable around my waist. There's no way I'm going to bother even getting my regular clothes back out yet. I know I won't fit in them. Not only do I have extra pounds, but like Annie hinted at, everything is different now (even after baby #4). It's not chilly here yet so no need to think about wearing jeans. I've got some decent looking mat pants to get me through the winter.

I have been meaning to ask you guys about some nursing tops I bought. They are those babydoll style with the empire top and then a bottom that goes out from just under the breasts and is loose and baggy and what I call dress-like. I guess that's the style now but I think it looks horrible on me. It makes me look like I'm still pg and just short and dumpy. I'm thinking maybe that style is really only good for taller people? What do you guys think? Is that the style and should I keep them or should I return them? If I ever get a chance, I'll post a pic of me wearing one so you can see.

Is that how you are normally supposed to use Rockin' Green soap or is that an extra step for getting stink out or because you are just switching? Charlie's Soap says to run the empty washer at least once with just Charlie's Soap to get residue off the washer. I couldn't do a soak even if I wanted with a front loader. I do always do a prewash.

I forgot the Swaddlebees now have the soaker that flips out. That's great! The old ones didn't do that. That's my one complaint about AIOs. The enclosed, sewn in soaker is so thick I wonder if it gets really clean, especially encased in PUL, and takes forever to dry.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:18 PM

MW: I think Carrie got FunkRock -not regular detergent, but a special treatment for smellies? I think.

Is it the style? well, depends -it is if you want it to be. I don't wear that sort because they do make me look pregnant when I'm not (and I'm shorter than you!)  - If you don't like, then don't bother. I can only do the empire waisted stuff if the belly of the shirt is cut straight and not loose.

Well, the bassinet I chose doesn't fit right next to the bed. it's a bit big by maybe 2 inches. Unless we can find DH a narrower nightstand (or he loses it all together . . .) It fits about a foot away in the bay window. I think I can live with that. I did really want it right next to the bed; like the co-sleeper, but since it's *not* a co-sleeper, it doesn't need to fit right next to the bed.

I need to add bassinet sheets to my list of things to buy. I think mostly we are getting gift cards at this shower on Sunday  - because MIL told people to get us that. I don't mind gift cards, honestly, but I didn't create a registry for my own enjoyment (ok, partly, it IS fun to walk around and create a wish list ;)) but also, so people have some idea of what we want, and buy that. grr. DH and I are pretty much convinced that MIL is only doing the shower because her family kind of pushed her into it. I just wish she'd show a little more enthusiasm over this baby. Now, FIL is excited, and is obvious about it.

Anyway - it's nice and crisp here, hope everyone is enjoying similiar fall-ish weather!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Empire waisted stuff is really hard to "pull off" when you still have extra weight.  I know I'm the same way, I just can't wear it.  I bought shorts at Target but they're a juniors size 15 and though they fall down a bit, at least they're normal shorts!

No, the Funk Rock is like a special de-funking thing.  You *can* use it every time, but I'm pretty sure it's meant to just get the stinkies out.  Regular Rockin' Green you use like any other detergent.  The Funk Rock is like a powerful ammonia/stink fighting thing.  I have a top loader so soaking is easy.  I just have to get back down there and do a rinse, then another wash.  PITA, but hopefully worth it.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM

oh, ok. i was going to be totally bummed about the rockin' green if it needed special steps.

i'm glad to know the empire waist doesn't always look good. i was worried there was something wrong with me. it seems to be really popular now, at least with designers. returning the stuff is kind of a pain but i've figured out how to pay shipping and print labels online so i don't have to go to the post office.

kat, i'm the same way. empire waists only look good on me if they are straight. if they are fanned out at all, they look awful.

after saying it was still warm here i went out to go to the grocery store and it was cool. had to pull out my maternity pants. i got to put a pair of longies on D, which was fun. of course, no one saw them because i had him in the wrap in the store.

on that note, i have a ton of yarn and nothing to knit. i have at least 8 pairs of small longies for D. i can't make shorties for next year b/c i don't know what size he'll need. i just finished a shirt for E. i have yarn to make some for K but it's from the same dyer. i kind of want to use another dyer's yarn now. what to do?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Birth plan sounds good - have you checked w/ hospital protocols too (JIC, as sometimes some lines in a birth plan aren't needed because they are a standard of practice, while others may not be able to be accomodated at all - like what you are able to eat and drink)

I might have something in there about - if it is needed - daddy (or you if you are able) needs to stay with baby at all times should she need to go to the nursery, etc.

Also, who do you want in the room with you - anyone in particular to exclude? Are you ok w/ students, etc? Also go in to the discussion knowing which things you may allow wiggle room on, and which not. (the saline lock for example, is something I consent to - I'd rather them have the access in case, then try to get it later, when I may be in the middle of a contraction or something and it be much harder to do - plus it won't limit my mobility at all)

I didn't see anything in there about monitoring - do you know what they tend to do? continuous, intermittent, internal?

We actually had 2 plans - one for me and one for the baby.

This time, because I know the hospital, and also kind of not what can go wrong, per se, but that birth may not be ideal, etc, I have contingent plans. Much as I didn't want to, I do have some lines in mine about things I'd like should a c-section become necessary. And also, should interventions of any sort be needed, kind of a run down on what I'd like to try first, and what would be a last resort. (like if labor does seem to stall, lets try movement and position changes first, then depending on where in labor I am, if water hasn't broken, willing to do AROM? etc.)

Oooh good ideas. I added in both about dad staying with baby and the students- I don't mind students, but I specified that for every student in the room, I want one less "regular" person. I think it's good that they learn about natural birth, but not at the expense of me feeling like a zoo exhibit, you know?

They typically have you on the monitor while you're in triage (about an hour when you get there), and then only seem to put it on if it's been a while, or you're showing signs that concern them. I did originally have it in the plan that I declined continuous monitoring, etc etc, but I decided to take it out. One of the things I've been told is to make the plan as short as possible, and take out anything you don't need permission for (ie I'm just going to eat, not ask if I can eat, and I'm going to move around, not ask if I can- I'm just going to do it). So I took that part out- I figure if they come in and tell me to lay down so they can do a monitoring strip, I'll ask them at that time to bring the doppler and do it that way instead, you know? 

The saline lock for me is non-negotiable. I have a terrible anxiety over needles, and I can almost guarantee that having one in will stall my labor. If they fuss (which the OB didn't seem to, we'll see!) then I'll tell them that in an "emergency" they can leave the freaking room and DH can put one in for me. This has been in my head for years, ever since I read this passage (it's part of an article called "deep doula thoughts, or- things that make you go hmmm")

Quote:
10. You need an IV in labor…just in case something goes wrong, we MUST have access to your vein! 
Rather than question this statement, I’m simply going to relay what happened with some students I taught a childbirth series to many years ago. He (the expectant father) happened to be an EMT-Paramedic. This couple was doing a hospital tour so that they could become familiar with the hospital they intended to have their baby in. The nurse showed them the triage area, then showed them the labor and delivery rooms, explained that this is when they would get their IV… 
The EMT dad said, "Umm, what if we don’t want an IV?" 
Nurse replied, "It’s standard…what if something goes wrong? We must have access to your vein and what if it takes a while to get the IV started? It can be difficult sometimes to get it started…what if we can’t get it started and we’re trying to get an IV in while your baby is having problems??" 
The EMT dad looked her straight in the eye and said, "Are you telling me that I can start an IV in the field, at night, in the rain, inside a vehicle that has been flipped over on a patient who is critical and bleeding out…and you are concerned about starting an IV on my healthy wife in your brightly lit hospital??? That frightens me." 
Hee hee. I’ll just let that story sit with you for a while.

Anyways, I'm definately going to go through a longer list with DH and my doula for, exactly like you said, the choices between certain interventions, things like that. I just don't want that stuff to bog down the list that the hospital gets, you know?

Quote:

JJ ~ That looks good. The only other thing I can think of is to read every single word of every form that you have to fill out for the doctor and the hospital and cross out, initial and date anything you do not consent to because there is usually a blanket statement in there saying that you consent to any and all medical procedures the doctors deem necessary for you and your baby. I think since that's a legally binding paper it would cancel out anything you had in your birth plan. Then make sure you tell everyone what you have crossed out. I don't think hospital staff regularly looks at those forms because they are so routine so they wouldn't necessarily know that you did not consent.

Definately. DH and I have already agreed not to sign the general consent form. I htink that's going to cause waves, and we've decided not to bring it up yet. I don't want to spend the next 2.5 months fighting with the dr over it since there isn't really anything she can say to change our minds. 

Anyways-- that said, the appt went well. DH and I laughed the whole way home about how much of a pushover she is. I don't think she's confident enough to really stand up to most of our choices. The only thing we said is that I can see her jumping to a c-section earlier than normal, but I'm confident about DH and I's ability to stand up and say no, we don't feel it's warranted yet. But she did glance over the plan, and the only thing she pointed out at ALL was the line about the episiotomy- giving the usual line about how sometime they are warranted when baby isn't wanting to come out... etc etc. So basically we know we'll watch her at that time, but other than that-- as I said, I think we can get our way :)

Quote:

those are beautiful pics, kat! you always look so pretty.

Agreed! That makes me so excited to do mine now! You look very... peaceful and just happy. I love it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

I need to add bassinet sheets to my list of things to buy. I think mostly we are getting gift cards at this shower on Sunday  - because MIL told people to get us that. I don't mind gift cards, honestly, but I didn't create a registry for my own enjoyment (ok, partly, it IS fun to walk around and create a wish list ;)) but also, so people have some idea of what we want, and buy that. grr. DH and I are pretty much convinced that MIL is only doing the shower because her family kind of pushed her into it. I just wish she'd show a little more enthusiasm over this baby. Now, FIL is excited, and is obvious about it.

Anyway - it's nice and crisp here, hope everyone is enjoying similiar fall-ish weather!

We picked out fabric for our crib blanket! It's a plain white minkee fabric. Soo soft. And it's nice because then we're going to do pink sheets, a valence, and accents, then still have the grey walls, so it won't be like walking into the room and going WHOA PINK! Several of the accents are black as well, so it will be girly, but tone it down. 

We do need to work on a sheet for the pnp bassinette too. MIL is going to make it, but I can't decide what fabric/color to use. The pnp itself is like a sage green, so I might just get her to do basic white cotton. Part of me wants to do the white minkee, but I think that might be too hot. I'm not worried about it for the blanket since a/ baby won't use a blanket the first bit when they're too little to pull it off themselves, and b/ the baby's room is cooler than the rest of the house, but the pnp will be in our room or the living room, which are warmer. 

And I'm LOVING the fall weather. I'm a summer person, through and through. I don't deal well with cold. But I have so many more cute maternity pieces for fall, so it's nice to have choices about what to wear again. 

That said, jumping in on the postpartum clothing discussion- I'm already planning on going to value village just before baby is born and stocking up on super comfy sweats/fleece pants/pj pants- something stupid like five pairs. I figure if I wear/ruin two in the labor/birth/immediately postpartum period, that's fine, but then I have other options for around the house. I also bought a bella band when I was in the states, so I'm hoping to use that with some of my regular clothing. But- for the first bit, it'll be freezing cold here, so I'm going to get away with sweats. 

Quote:

i'm glad to know the empire waist doesn't always look good. i was worried there was something wrong with me. it seems to be really popular now, at least with designers. returning the stuff is kind of a pain but i've figured out how to pay shipping and print labels online so i don't have to go to the post office.

on that note, i have a ton of yarn and nothing to knit. i have at least 8 pairs of small longies for D. i can't make shorties for next year b/c i don't know what size he'll need. i just finished a shirt for E. i have yarn to make some for K but it's from the same dyer. i kind of want to use another dyer's yarn now. what to do?

I had the empire waist problem BEFORE getting pregnant. I was skinny, but carrying extra weight around in my belly- so I worried wearing stuff like that, that it looked like a baby belly. So I can see how afterwards it would make you not feel so hot either. 

I've got yarn too, and I'm out of ideas. I never really love the way my sweaters/pants turn out, not to mention I don't need any more of them. Or any more blankets, or any more hats. But I've got quite a bit of misc baby yarn, and can't figure out what to do with it. I'm making a pair of booties right now (that I, again, don't need...) but I can't seem to find a good pattern, so I've torn them out about three times and restarted with a new one. I really just want to use up my existing yarn so I can go get wool to attempt a soaker. Any idea for OTHER items? I think after I tackle these booties, I'm going to make a bib. It's not really the right type of yarn, but oh well. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 09-16-2011, 09:02 PM

I really like this bootie pattern. So easy. http://www.lobolita.com/2010/01/gansey-booties/

Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 PM

Ooooh those do look gorgeous. I can only crochet though. :( I think that's probably the problem- booties are one of those things that just work better knit. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 09-17-2011, 07:43 AM

Are you on Ravelry? You can find all kinds of great patterns on there. Many are free.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:01 AM

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1680551&postcount=1 This is the pattern for the booties pictured above. I posted the picture from Ravelry because there wasn't a picture on the pattern page.

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/baby-boots

http://isitatoy.blogspot.com/2011/04/baby-rainbow-sandals.html

http://www.free-crochet.com/detail.html?code=FC00606&cat_id=1

http://megan.cc/BooteeDaisy/

http://vakreverden.blogspot.com/2010/12/hekleoppskrift-pa-barnetflercrochetpatt.html (Scroll halfway down for english version)

http://sewhooked.com/2010/04/01/crochet-5-minute-baby-booties/

Those are just some of the free ones. There are many more for a small fee that you can download. So many more cute options for girls.

Forgot to say that searched only for seamless patterns because I hate sewing up seams. There are even a ton more if you don't limit it to that.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:28 AM

lol, those ones pictures are the pattern I'm working on right now. It's been the best so far, but still just looks so big and much wider than in the photo. But-- I'll have to wait until I get further into it to see if it's salvagable- maybe they'll end up ok after all. 

See and it's funny, I'm the same way, I'd rather do seamless- but the only pair of booties I've made that worked-- had a seam. Maybe I should go back to that. 

I'll take a look at the other patterns as well. Maybe I'll find something I like more. 

Old 09-17-2011, 12:25 PM

none of the booties i made were small enough for a NB even though they were sized for that. honestly, nothing NB size that i've made actually fits. maybe that's just how it goes. bigger is better than smaller. at least they can grow into it.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:54 PM

Hi ladies!

It has been a while since I've posted...busy busy busy!  

Kat - LOVE the pictures!  I have been thinking of getting some done as well but we can't really afford the time or money right now to go get them done, but I do have a friend who does some pictures as a hobby and after seeing yours I think I might just get her to do some - I was kind of worried since it would most likely be outside, but I love that about yours so I might just go for it!  I would like of have my girls in them too, but they may not cooperate with that.  I would love to get the whole family but I am not sure when Dh would have the time.

So I spent a week at my mom's last week and it was good in a way - I got to relax and rest a bit more than usual and my friend from there had a shower for me which was fun.  BUT I am not sue if I want to go stay there before the baby is born or not.  Right now we are 1.5 hours from the hospital she is about 1/2 and hour so for my last pregnancy I stayed there for the last little while and then she kept DD until I got to go home.  That was the plan for this time too but maybe we've just spent too much time together because now I feel like I want a beak from her and I don't feel like I want to go there.  She is always trying to tell me what I want - like "oh no you don't want that - you want this"  and it drives me crazy.  And I think the kids are getting on her nerves too!  I don't know maybe a few weeks apart and I will change my mind.  The other advantage to going there is that if I go into labor in the middle of the night - which I usually do - then she will just keep the kids whereas if we are here I will have to wake them up and bring them - and do I want to drive 1.5 hours in labor with a 5 and 2 year old asking a billion questions and fighting with each other??  Too many things to think about!

I went to my Dr yesterday and everything was fine.  I told him I was having stronger contractions - like nothing timeable or anything but some that make me think "I really don't want to deliver this baby!"  but he said oh well that's ok if you were to go into labor now we wouldn't try to stop it - 36 weeks would be better but it's ok"  Which kind of surprised me.  I freaked my self out the other day - when I realized that I was almost 35 weeks - I had DD1 at 38 weeks!  So i could have a baby in like 3 weeks!  I am so not ready for it - well I am ready to meet him/her and I can't wait for that part, but our house is soooooo not ready and I feel like I have nothing that I need for this baby!  But I guess I do - I am just feeling very unprepared!

JJ - I had found a really cute pattern for baby girl booties that look like Mary Jane shoes with white lacey socks - I thought they were really cute and were fairly easy too!  If you want I can see if I can find the pattern again - it was a free on online.

I have been busy crocheting as well.  I have made some really cute hats - a little lamb one, a deer, a sock monkey and some owl hats.  I haven't had a chance to make anything for my own baby yet - it has all been for other people!  I have another baby shower next weekend so I will need to make something for that too.

Well DD2 is painting - which can be dangerous for her - she is 2 and it usually ends up everywhere but the paper so i should go see - she is being very quiet- never a good sign for a 2 yr old!

SAHM to DD1 - 6 blahblah.gif, DD2- 3energy.gif,DS Oct 2011 babyboy.gif Wife to dh.   homeschool.giftoddler.gif  sleepytime.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 09-17-2011, 05:13 PM

mom2one ~ i felt the same way about my mother for a few weeks before i was due. i was wondering if i could just do it on my own. my mom does that same thing of telling me what i do and don't want. she's always shooting down my ideas. it makes me so mad! but when the time came, I called her begging her to come early because I needed her. It was the best decision I made. So keep your mind open. It may very well change after some time apart.

Kinder ~ Are you on Ravelry? If so, check out the Dreameaze Sleeping Bag by Anne McCrea. I can't post a link to the pattern unless you are on Ravelry because it's not free. It's only $4.00, though, so not expensive. It's a sleep sack with a body and shoulder straps. Very cute and people say they really like it because it stays on so well.

User Tag List