September 2011 Whatever Ladies Having Babies! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 371 Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, I meant for me - I've never been drunk - and I don't know that I want to start! I've been tipsy . . .just not drunk. You are welcome to it if it helps :)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#182 of 371 Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM

JJ, you'd be surprised how much rooms left in there at the end. I'm short and DD was 7lbs 5oz, 19 in and she still had enough room to go from footling breech to frank breech during labor.

Trying to get DD used to sleeping flat. It's slow going. I've had her sleeping in a reclined position for so long because I was scared she would choke during one of her monster spit ups. Now she's getting to the point that she's starting to make me nervous that she's going to sit up out of the swing or her rocker. Yesterday she took a nice long nap in her crib and she started out the night in her bed but she was so restless that I put her back in her rocker around 3 AM. Tried to put her in the crib for her morning nap and she was just sleeping really lightly so gave up and put her in her swing. We are going to be out for a couple of hours later this afternoon so I need her to have a good sleep now.

Her oxygen levels have been in the low 80s/high 70s for the past couple of days. Really getting nervous that we won't make it too much long before we have to schedule her next surgery. Her cardiologist said the indicator will be when her oxygen goes down to the mid 70s and stays there. I am really hoping to avoid surgery during big cold and flu season.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#183 of 371 Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 AM

Annie, can you try one of those wedges under the crib mattress? a lot of people seem to use them for reflux prone babies.

Hope her surgery is either soon (before major cold and flu season) or can be delayed until after -

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#184 of 371 Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 PM

Well the issue now isn't getting her used to not be inclined really. The problem is that in her swing and rocker, she's pretty snug with stuff touching her on many sides. When she's in her bed, I think she feels exposed or something! I don't blame her. I like to snuggle in to blankets and pillows too! I guess I could get one of those sleep positioner things so she feels stuff touching her.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#185 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 05:40 AM

Man, I missed a bunch of posts. I wasn't getting notifications again but thought everyone was busy like before and didn't come to check.

Anyway, Annie, I think I read those sleep-positioners had been recalled or were at least very highly not recommended anymore because of safety issues. I can't remember the safety issues. Since I don't use one I didn't pay that close attention to the details. So, look that up before you buy one (if they're still being sold). Hope you can get the surgery scheduled for whenever it's safest for Ava.

Kat ~ You can always donate the sposies. I have at least 3/4 of that bag of sposies my dad got during the Hurricane. He got a huge bag. lol.gif They are size 1, up to 14 lbs. D has grown out of them so there's no point in me even saving them for another emergency or back up. I don't know if anyone will take an open bag, though. Need to find out.

I agree about CDs wrt other people. I'm much more committed to advocating for breastfeeding than CD. To me, breastfeeding is about the long-term health and well-being of the baby (could be even life or death). CD is not the same. It can maybe save you some money, especially if you use the same stash for more than one baby. It's probably better for the environment (except for all the water and electricity used to wash and dry them. not sure about that one.) Another issue that I think is more important is getting people to give up their Bjorn's and Snugglis and get a RS or wrap or Ergo. That's another one that's about the long-term health and well-being of the baby.

That being said, I couldn't go back to sposies simply because of the environmental issues. I absolutely hated using sposies when we were at my sister's house. I normally don't use sposies even when we travel. I take an extra suitcase with my diapers and my wet bag. I used them when we drove across country on our move from Hawaii to NC. We just made sure that either the hotel we stayed at had washers and dryers or there was a laundry mat close by. For me, using CDs is not about the money. It's about the cuteness and the environmental impact of not just the waste but whatever those nasty superabsorbent chemicals are that probably get leached into the earth and go who knows where. (My mom examined a few patent applications for that stuff and it has freaked me out ever since.)

Oh, I have got to look for those crock pot liners. Where do yo get them? Well, that and I have to remember to actually use the crock pot. I have a roast that has been sitting in the fridge for several days now that I keep forgetting to put in the crock pot on time. I'm worried it may not be good anymore.

Nothing much going on here. Just still trying to get through daily life.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#186 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 AM

MW: I think the liners can be found at Walmart - I'm sure various grocery stores carry them too - they look like this

Even with the water, electrictity etc, I think cloth has less enviromental impact (they have to use water and electricty and chemicals to manufacture sposies, after all).  Plus I just hate the smell of a wet sposie. But that's just me. Also, with regards to breastfeeding: most women can - I would venture to say nearly all women can  - maybe not exclusively, because I know a lot of low-supply mamas that need to supplement with donor milk and/or formula - and it seems to me that if it is something you CAN do, that is good for you AND the baby, why not do it? I know it can be a hassle sometimes, esp if you WOH - but so is buying and dealing with formula, bottles, etc.

I don't think, beyond the few mamas I know that just really, physically, are unable to (and most low supply mamas I know IRL are just all or nothing sorts, so if they can't do BF'ing all the time, they would rather just do FF full time, and that I can sort of understand), I have ever heard a really good reason why someone chose not to breastfeed, or at least try. I think that's because there aren't any!

And I hear you on the crotch danglers. Baby K'tan just came out with this beautiful eggplant colored carrier - I so want it! need some more $$ in the budget though! it's girlie without being too much so, and still a darker color that won't show dirt easily.

Annie, I think MW is right about the sleep positioner recall. Will, or does, swaddling help any?

39 weeks today! At this point I am just really hoping that she doesn't go very far over. DH is betting on her being here by Oct. 1st. I just want her to come so I can be done working! at least for a while.

#187 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 06:18 AM

So close, kat! joy.gif

Thanks for showing me those liners. If I hadn't seen that, I probably would have missed them because I was thinking they would be a stiff aluminum type thing.

I wish I could swaddle D. I can't seem to make it work and I'm afraid he's too big for those new swaddlers so I haven't bothered to buy any. He startles himself awake almost every time I lay him down.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#188 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 06:49 AM

Don't know if you've ever heard of a Woombie, but they go up to 25 lbs. not cheap though. The Halo swaddle sacs only go up to 18 lbs. (might be big enough for D for now, but don't know how much longer)

I just swaddled Gabe with the large muslins (Like Aiden and Anais ones). When he got so his arms squirmed out, I only swaddled his tummy and legs. I could still swaddle him in those if he were so inclined. I love them!

#189 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I wish I could swaddle D. I can't seem to make it work and I'm afraid he's too big for those new swaddlers so I haven't bothered to buy any. He startles himself awake almost every time I lay him down.

My friend showed me this contraption that she wants to get for her baby girl.  I don't know what to think.  That's what I told her. The lady who "invented" it is a CIO advocate though and I don't trust those people.  But...again, I just don't know what to make of it.  

http://www.magicsleepsuit.com/

Kat - AHHH baby is coming SOOON!!  I know the feeling too well of ok, made it this far, PLEASE don't let it go on much longer, lol.  

Annie - a few of my mama friends have the Baby Delight Snuggle Nest and they love it.  We only have a queen so it would never work in our bed, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm going to listen to my gut and I'm bringing Finn to the dr today for his reflux.  Things... have changed a bit.  He's screaming more, and arching after he spits up.  And though he can sleep on my chest or in the crook of my arm for 1-2 hours at a time, it's not a solution.  I've been sleeping upright in the recliner too many nights.  It's difficult to say the least and you guys know I'm barely making it through the day with Nora b/c I'm frazzled and sleep deprived.  So.  I'm not convinced he's not in pain.  That's the root of it right there.  I can deal with the laundry, I can deal with puke, I just cannot stand to hear his blood curdling scream when the spitup comes up, or when he swallows it back down.  It's heartbreaking.  So, off we go.  I know zantac is overprescribed but I'm genuinely concerned about my little man.  I'll keep you guys posted on how that goes.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#190 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 AM

i've never heard of those. will look into it. i could never swaddle any of my babes. their arms always got out, which is what startled them.

carrie ~ i keep forgetting to ask what that nose thingie for colds is? i was wondering if there was anything else i could do other than using the aspirator. i've seen those things with the long tube you use to suck the gunk out but only in catalogs.

#191 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Yup - it's a nose frida.  I bought mine at Whole foods but you can order them on Amazon or wherever online.  That's what it is, you suck it out.  You don't get anything in your mouth, it's closed off and has a filter, but it's so much more gentle than a bulb thingy.

http://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1316614082&sr=1-1

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#192 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM

It's a NoseFrida - I think I'm spelling it right. I've beens seeing them in stores around here lately, Maybe not BabiesRUS, but definitely buybuyBaby (but I know there isn't one where you are) We had one, but it may have gotten misplaced in the move. I refuse to use it (I know you don't actually get snot in your mouth or anything, it's just a mental ick for me) - but DH used it on DS and it does work really well. And DS likes it far better than the aspirator.

Also, we tend to use the saline nasal spray in combo with either, it really helps loosen stuff up first.

Carrie - go with your gut - I mean, even if the doc says yeah, it's reflux, and prescribes the Zantac or whatever, you don't HAVE to fill the prescription and give the med, if you can find a more holistic alternative - if you are so inclined. I always tell DH that western medicine is good for diagnostics at least. you can always choose how to treat the condition - once you know what it is. (he'd rather avoid the doc all together. I'm of the frame of mind that docs are good for something - everything has its place)

#193 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

Carrie - go with your gut - I mean, even if the doc says yeah, it's reflux, and prescribes the Zantac or whatever, you don't HAVE to fill the prescription and give the med, if you can find a more holistic alternative - if you are so inclined. I always tell DH that western medicine is good for diagnostics at least. you can always choose how to treat the condition - once you know what it is. (he'd rather avoid the doc all together. I'm of the frame of mind that docs are good for something - everything has its place)

Exactly, like I did with DD's pinkeye.  They diagnose and then I decide how to treat (which should be the way every parent rolls, but we all know it isn't).  Even if, I'm not opposed to using zantac.

#194 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 AM

yeah, i totally get the ick factor with that. TBH, I can't even use the bulb syringe. Snot grosses me out to the point that I will gag if I see it. Poop I can handle. Even vomit I can handle. Snot, no way! lol.gif That's why I haven't bought one but I've been thinking about it. D doesn't seem to be too bad. He can still breathe and nurse without taking lots of breaks. He just sounds snorty = snotty. K is sounding congested now, too.

Carrie ~ We cross-posted. I agree with Kat. If nothing else, you might get some peace of mind by taking Finn to the doctor.

Ya know, D does a similar thing. He sometimes lets out a scream for what appears to be no reason. I wonder if he's spitting up and swallowing it and it's burning his throat. I know how that feels. It hurts me so I can totally see how it would make a baby cry or scream. Another reason I think (know) he's spitting up in his mouth is that he makes these sort of gagging/choking sounds and then swallows really hard like he's swallowing mucous. That usually coincides with the screaming. I don't think he's as bad as what you describe with Finn, though. Let us know what the doc says.

#195 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

I gave him his first dose tonight.  I feel good about it, I feel like it's the right thing to do.  He's been so pukey since forever, and I think deep down I always knew something wasn't quite right.  I hate to think he's been in pain this long. 

I got the good ped in the group, which I'm happy about.  He's a nice old school kind of doctor.  Anyways, he said other than what I'm describing going on, Finn is really healthy and his weight is great, he shows no signs of anything else being wrong.  I do have to take him back in 2 weeks to follow up.  Nbd.  

Finn weighed in at 12 lbs 9 oz!!  Yay for my chubby little man!

Alysia - Finn does do that gagging/swallowing thing.  That's the worst, actually.  He freaks out when he spits up but he really screams when he does that re-swallowing thing.  They call that silent reflux.

http://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/silent-reflux-infant.html

Finn has a few of those symptoms.  The painful gulping, the coughing, sour breath, wet burps, sudden crying, painful wakeups.  

The wedge pillow from that site looks interesting, doesn't it?

#196 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 PM

i hope finn feels better. lmk how it goes.

that silent reflux makes sense. that's sort of what i was thinking without knowing the name. D does have some of those symptoms. my dad has major problems with GERD and i have increasing problems with it as time passes. i wonder if it is hereditary.

what do you think about the fact that D sleeps ok at night right now? i wonder how that wedge works with co-sleeping. how do you keep baby on it without rolling off?

#197 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 PM

I've thought about the sleep snuggler thing but I don't want to buy something like that because hopefully this will be a shortlived problem. I think we are just going to have a bad couple of nights to get used to sleeping flat either in her crib or in my bed. This morning, I heard her move the rocker when she was squirming around so she's got to come out of it.

We use the saline drops when DD is sounding stuffy and it helps a lot to loosen stuff up. A lot of times, she gets so mad from me putting a drop in each nostril that she blows out the excess mucus and I don't have to use the bulb syringe at all.

Baby_Cakes, did you decide to use the medicine?

DD had her every other week cardiology appointment today. I've really been having a hard time the past couple of days with regard to her heart condition. It's really hit me how serious her condition is. I know that sounds funny because she's had open heart surgery but when she was in the hospital, her doctors strongly advised that I did not google anything about her diagnosis and listen to what they were saying about what they specifically saw with her heart. Babies can have the exact same diagnosis as DD and it present itself very differently in each baby. So they assured me that her condition was very fixable and one of the doctors used the word "boring" to describe her treatment because they see so many complex cases.

But since we've been home, I've seen so many stories online of babies that have the same diagnosis and have passed away. So today, I talked with her doctor about that stuff. He wisely suggested that the families that have good outcomes are so busy chasing their heart babies around that they don't have time to put their stories online so the only stuff I'm finding is from families that have had poor outcomes. I can totally see that. But then we talked about the fact that this next surgery will not be her last. The patch that will be used to fix the hole between her ventricles can't grow with her heart so it will have to be replaced every 4-5 years until she's a teenager. For some reason I had in my head that after this surgery, she wouldn't need another surgery until she was a teen.

I also found out another reason why we have to be so careful with DD this winter to make sure she doesn't get sick. Along with the issue that if she gets sick, she will get more sick than other babies is the fact that if she gets a viral illness, she has to wait 6 weeks before she could have surgery. So if she needs her surgery and it's scheduled and then she gets sick, she has to wait 6 weeks. Oh my, that was a lot of info to absorb. This next surgery is going to be a lot harder on me than her first one. Based on her oxygen levels, we could have to schedule her surgery in the next couple of months but her doctors are still hopeful that we can get to March or April.

#198 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 08:15 PM

hug.gif Annie. I agree not to get bogged down in the sad stories you read on the internet. It's always the worst case scenario that seems to be the easiest to find. KWIM? It's the same with more mild, mundane issues such as, "I couldn't breastfeed" or whatever. The parents who are living with the child who did well don't have time to set up a website or write a continual story about it. I can't even imagine what you must be going through and feeling. It must be so scary. I didn't realize how serious it was. It's easy to just kind of say, "Oh, she's had surgery and now she's fine." I will always be thinking of you all and hoping for the best.

#199 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

I didn't realize how serious it was. It's easy to just kind of say, "Oh, she's had surgery and now she's fine."

I've been the same way! People keep asking me how she's doing and it always strikes me as an odd question because to look at her and deal with her on a day to day basis, you wouldn't know now. But after today, I need to realize that there are some things that I have to be more vigilant about. I have been saying "oh after the next surgery, then she'll be all fixed and she'll be fine." but the truth is that's not what's going to happen. She will always need cardiac oversight.

You know the biggest thing I'm dreading with this next surgery? Not being able to feed her beforehand. They try to schedule the babies for the first surgical slot so they don't have to go so long without eating but emergencies can happen. I seriously do not know how I'm going to handle her being hungry and crying and not being able to feed her. I asked her doctor today if they sedate them before the surgery so they aren't screaming from hunger and he said no. I envision that we'll both be a sobbing mess by the time she goes back with the doctors.

#200 of 371 Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 PM

Oh, Annie. I know that's heartbreaking because I can't handle my child being hungry for even a minute. I guess all you can do is remind yourself that this is all to save her life. Hopefully (and most likely), she won't remember any of it. She'll be hungry but she won't be starving. You aren't harming her. You are saving her.

#201 of 371 Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 AM

ITA with MW - I hate letting a babe go hungry, but in this case it may be absolutely necessary. Lesser of evils. Thanks for sharing with us about Ava - I know it isn't easy to do, but I'm glad to hear where you're at with her diagnsosis and treatment. FX she stays very healthy this winter and can wait until spring for the next surgery (then she'll be bigger and likely will be able to go a bit a longer between feedings as well- double plus!)

Carrie - trust your gut! - at least he didn't try to get you to switch to an expensive formula or something. Every breastfed baby I know ends up at least supplemented with formula when they get a reflux diagnosis. Hope the Zantac helps and Finn can be in a happier, more comfortable phase.

AFM: appointment went fine yesterday; heartbeat is good - I think she's lower than the doctor expected because he tried to listen closer to my belly button and he had to adjust several times. Had a cervical check (I know they are sort of pointless, but I was curious, since I can't seem to make sense of anything down there) - and I'm 2 cm, barely starting to efface (very thick he said), but cervix is anterior and he could feel the baby's head easily through the cervix.

For me, other than the barely effaced part, this is all good news, because with Gabe, even at 42 weeks when I went into be induced, I wasn't even at a 2. the MW never could get her finger through my cervix. (and doc did, easily) and I'm 39 weeks. also, he felt her head, and Gabe nearly always was floating or very close to it. so she seems to be able to engage properly and apply pressure to my cervix, which I don't think Gabe could, because he wasn't in a good position.

So all in all, I'll take it, and keep focusing. Mantra is "dilate, efface, and descend" I'm also taking the advice of one of the DDC people and just trying to relax and not spend/waste a bunch of energy walking and bouncing and doing things to bring on labor (outside the realm of normal things I'd do anyway). I am trying to have faith that it will start on its own (the active bit), and I will definitely know when it's happening, so I need to save my energy for the important things!

Looking forward to this weekend . . .  I'm so ready to be done working! come on baby!

#202 of 371 Old 09-22-2011, 05:22 AM

Yay akind1! All of that change sounds really promising! I agree with the advice to not waste your energy bouncing and stuff like that. She's moving down on her own so just giveher a chance to do her thing.

Thanks ladies for the kind words. I knew that parenting would be a challenge but I never expected something like this. Today is going to be a challenge. DD has her two month appt and we have to start her vaccines. She also has to get a heal stick because she has to have the newborn screen repeated. It was done after her surgery and she received blood during the surgery so it can affect the results. Unless the dr has some very convincing evidence, I will be declining the PCV vaccine. We have to do the rotovirus and dTaP though because those are both illnesses that are lifethreatening to heart babies. Next month we have to start the RSV vaccine. This is a big adjustment for me because we were going to delay/select vax. And DH and I have to get the flu vax which we never do. Please send good thoughts for me and DD to make it through today relatively untraumatized!

#203 of 371 Old 09-22-2011, 06:07 AM

Annie - that would be a tough call for me too, on the vaxes . . . but you have to do what's best for Ava. With regards to the flu vax, can you get one that doesn't have live virus in it? (some do) - One of the main reasons I don't do the flu vax is it tends to make my parents as sick, if not sicker, than the flu itself (my dad had to get it when he was in active duty military) - and well, I can't tell you the last time I even had the flu.

Will keep you and Ava in our thoughts of course! for the heel stick - I think you said she won't latch on the breast still - but does she have a pacifier or soothie she could use during that to help her through? I nursed DS right after his (he had it for a repeat bili check)

#204 of 371 Old 09-22-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

You know the biggest thing I'm dreading with this next surgery? Not being able to feed her beforehand. They try to schedule the babies for the first surgical slot so they don't have to go so long without eating but emergencies can happen. I seriously do not know how I'm going to handle her being hungry and crying and not being able to feed her. I asked her doctor today if they sedate them before the surgery so they aren't screaming from hunger and he said no. I envision that we'll both be a sobbing mess by the time she goes back with the doctors.

You know more than I do about this, but breastmilk is usually considered a clear fluid.  Most babies that I know that have needed surgery were allowed at least breastmilk within 6 hours of the surgery or something like that.  I could be way off, though.  Just wanted to throw that out there for you.

Quote:

Carrie - trust your gut! - at least he didn't try to get you to switch to an expensive formula or something. Every breastfed baby I know ends up at least supplemented with formula when they get a reflux diagnosis. Hope the Zantac helps and Finn can be in a happier, more comfortable phase.

AFM: appointment went fine yesterday; heartbeat is good - I think she's lower than the doctor expected because he tried to listen closer to my belly button and he had to adjust several times. Had a cervical check (I know they are sort of pointless, but I was curious, since I can't seem to make sense of anything down there) - and I'm 2 cm, barely starting to efface (very thick he said), but cervix is anterior and he could feel the baby's head easily through the cervix.

So all in all, I'll take it, and keep focusing. Mantra is "dilate, efface, and descend" I'm also taking the advice of one of the DDC people and just trying to relax and not spend/waste a bunch of energy walking and bouncing and doing things to bring on labor (outside the realm of normal things I'd do anyway). I am trying to have faith that it will start on its own (the active bit), and I will definitely know when it's happening, so I need to save my energy for the important things!

Looking forward to this weekend . . .  I'm so ready to be done working! come on baby!

Wow, I did not know that about the formula.  It didn't even come up.  In fact, when I first got there the head nurse helped me carry my bag in and asked what we were there for.  When I said possible reflux, she gave me a hard look and said, "It might be the formula."  I said we were bf'ing and she looked shocked. "Oh," she said, "Then I have no idea!  See what the dr says!"  LOL.

I agree, don't waste energy bouncing, walking, doing walking lunges.  You don't wnat to be exhausted when labor starts.  I did all that mumbo jumbo but stopped at 39 weeks, lol.  Rest was just much more important.  Plus, Norah is engaged pretty good in there, and your normal activities should be putting enough pressure on your cervix to get it good and thin and open.  EEEk!  I can't wait for the big news!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Thanks ladies for the kind words. I knew that parenting would be a challenge but I never expected something like this. Today is going to be a challenge. DD has her two month appt and we have to start her vaccines. She also has to get a heal stick because she has to have the newborn screen repeated. It was done after her surgery and she received blood during the surgery so it can affect the results. Unless the dr has some very convincing evidence, I will be declining the PCV vaccine. We have to do the rotovirus and dTaP though because those are both illnesses that are lifethreatening to heart babies. Next month we have to start the RSV vaccine. This is a big adjustment for me because we were going to delay/select vax. And DH and I have to get the flu vax which we never do. Please send good thoughts for me and DD to make it through today relatively untraumatized!

I'm sure it's a huge adjustment.  But my whole thing about selective/delayed vaxing is that it's great that you can make your own schedule based off your child's risk.  Obviously, the risk to Ava is much greater if she catches these illnesses than if she gets the immunizations.  I'm going to bump some of Finn's up b/c I changed my mind andNora is going to start preschool soon -- and I think I might start Nora on the few that she's missing sooner than later to get her ready for school.  It's funny (not haha funny, but ukwim) how things change when you're faced with drastically different circumstances than you anticipated.  hug2.gif

AFM - I cheated and Finn slept in the swing last night.  He slept from 11-130, and then ate, then slept again til 4.  He woke at 4 and was kind of fussy and refused the bewb, which has NEVER happened.  He kept falling asleep on it.  It was annoying only b/c my bewb was srsly rock hard from going so long b/w feedings that it was painful.  I hand expressed into a nearby glass and caught just over an ounce!  (It was, ironically, a bar glass with the oz marked, lol).  I was still uncomfortable but too tired to care.  I didn't feel like putting him back in the swing or laying with him on the couch, so we went and got in bed -- where we slept until 7:20!!  Woo hoo for great sleep last night!!  LOL.

#205 of 371 Old 09-22-2011, 06:31 AM

yay for good sleep! It's not really cheating if it works!

oh, question for all of you - in case you have thoughts - now, this is not because I'm concerned, it's purely a convience issue - DS's poops have been a lot more creamy lately, which means they are not what I call "plop-able", I really miss the solid poops I could dump in the toilet! any ideas on what might firm his poop up?  I don't want to constipate him .. . .

Vaxes are a tough issue all around I think. I wish I were totally convinced on their goodness - it would make life easier in some respects - it's not even something I discuss IRL because there is too much emotional baggage (on both sides of the issue - for everybody). I don't want to get in a debate with friends over stuff like that. We do intend to homeschool, so that makes somethings easier . . . even if we didn't, getting a religious waiver is pretty easy.

#206 of 371 Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 AM

akind1, how about bananas? Do they firm up poop? Trying to remember their part in the BRAT diet after you've had stomach issues.

DD will take a pacifier sometimes and I'm taking plenty of milk but she's not easily distracted when she's in pain. I have one container of sweet-ease from the hospital so I'm taking that to dip her paci in if needed. It's a sugar solution that has been shown to be a pain reliever in infants.

The vax thing is so tough. DH and I will get the inactivated shot for the flu vax. The rotavirus is one of those vaccines that I would have totally skipped before DD but now the risk from her getting a GI illness is too high. If she gets dehydrated her shunt could clot up and that would kill her. Fevers are also an issue so that's why we are going to at least delay the PCV shot. The CDC handout specifically states that 1 in 3 babies will develop a fever.

I agree that breastmilk is usually considered a clear fluid but they cut her off at midnight last time before her 7 am surgery. I'll ask her doc again though at her next appt.

#207 of 371 Old 09-22-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

oh, question for all of you - in case you have thoughts - now, this is not because I'm concerned, it's purely a convience issue - DS's poops have been a lot more creamy lately, which means they are not what I call "plop-able", I really miss the solid poops I could dump in the toilet! any ideas on what might firm his poop up?  I don't want to constipate him .. . .

Ugh, Nora went thru that phase too as an older toddler while in dipes.  I kept a poo spatula in the bathroom to scrape off the peanut butter-like poo.  I didn't do anything on purpose to firm up her poops, they would just alternate.  Maybe more fiber?  Apples with skins, bananas, and I think I read pumpkin is a good source of fiber.  Oatmeal too, and of course beans.

#208 of 371 Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 AM

I was going to suggest Bananas to harden up poo, too. I don't know if it works but I was told to be careful how many bananas I ate while pg to try to get more potassium because they can cause constipation in large amounts.

K's poo still does the same thing. It alternates between solid and mushy/paste-like. It's more often paste-like, which is so annoying. That's a big part of the reason that I'm so upset about him regressing with using the toilet. It's not easy poos that I can just plop in the toilet and give a few wipes to his butt to get clean. It's that mushy, pasty, thick poo that has to be scrubbed off with a washcloth. grossedout.gif My mom insisted he was sick while she was here because he had a day or two of what she said was diarrhea. I didn't see so don't know exactly how it was but I told her he normally has soft, almost runny, poo periodically.

The vax thing would be hard for me, too. I totally understand wanting and needing to do everything possible to prevent an illness in a baby who's already struggling and will be exposed to so many more diseases in a hospital but I don't know if I could get past my belief that the vaxes themselves can cause illness. I would really struggle with that.

Annie ~ Try not to dwell on what might happen with her next surguries since you're not faced with them yet. KWIM? Since you can't know what will happen until it's happening, no good will come from worrying about it now. I know that's hard to do. I'm notorious for worrying myself sick about the future.

Doh! I forgot to post what I came here for.

Kat ~ I think you were asking about nursing bras. I've found one I really like. http://www.milknursingwear.com/store/pc/Tee-shirt-contour-bra-34p436.htm It's not too pricey and goes up to very large sizes. There's also a version with underwire if you like or need that. I find it very comfortable and easy to use.

#209 of 371 Old 09-22-2011, 10:21 AM

MW, I've had a tough time with the vax thing as well. We're delaying the HepB until kindergarten so luckily I had 9 weeks to reconcile this in my head and do more research. Her ped was fine with delaying the PCV until next visit. I'm not sure I'm going to agree to get it done then so I'm glad I have more time to research. She did pretty good at the doc's office. We both cried when she got the shot but she settled down easily. Now I just need to be on the lookout for fever or runny poop.

Thanks for posting the link to that nursing bra. I still haven't purchased any yet but I really should before I go back to work to make pumping easier.

akind1, have you tried rice paper liners? Does your DS poop at regular times? Then you could just peel off the liner and be done.

#210 of 371 Old 09-22-2011, 11:32 AM

When his poop was nice and solid he pooped at regular times. Now, not so much. He hasn't been eating as much fruit and vegetables lately, so maybe that's it. Good to know it alternates for most toddlers.

I'm happy with my Bravado bras, but sounds like Annie was asking - so it's all good!

Today is an emotional day for me . . . DS is exhausted and won't nap, so I gave up and passed him off to DH. even though he cried when I did, I just did. not. care. (makes me feel awful to say that, but seriously) one of those days where I love him to pieces but just can't deal. Kudos to all the moms who don't have anyone to pass kids off to! (when it's just me, this point usually makes me say that we are taking a walk or going for a ride in the car. It works, but doesn't really help anything else get done).

Anyway . . .back to work for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page