MarineWife (due 7/30) ~ Baby boy born July 25, 2011
Baby_Cakes (due 8/16) ~ Baby boy born August 16, 2011
MovingMomma (due 8/9) ~ Baby girl born August 18, 2011

akind1 ~ 9/28
mom2one ~ 10/23
jeninejessica ~ 12/1
Kindermama ~ 1/6

Here is last month's thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1324485/august-2011-whatever-ladies-having-babies/360

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 371 Old 09-04-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to mention that I started Finn in the BG OSes and am LOVING them on him.  They fit really well and are much easier for me than the diapers with covers are.  I'm almost mad I spent so much $$ on covers when I could have bought a few more OSes.  Though, once he slows down and isn't using so many a day I should be good.  I'm washing every day though, which sucks.

I also purged all his nb clothes, he didn't even wear most of them.  Sniff, sniff.  I had such cute things!  Oh well.  He's into 0-3 and 3 month clothes at not quite 3 weeks.  Cloth diaper butt contributes, but it's not all of it, even with sposies he can't fit the nb stuff.  Sigh.

Ordered his birth announcement too!  Here's how it looks:  

Finnsannouncement.jpg

How is everyone else doing?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 371 Old 09-04-2011, 04:00 PM

thanks for starting a new thread. All I did was update when anyone had a baby. smile.gif

my butt and legs are sore from sitting on the couch doing nothing all day. I'm trying to really take it easy today. D has been very cooperative. He's been mostly sleeping on my lap, not too fussy if he wakes up. I hope he still sleeps tonight. At one point I did go upstairs to help K get dressed and got distracted putting laundry away. I almost instantly got very hot, sweaty and winded. A good reminder that I'm sick. Not that I need a reminder. I still feel quite sick. I have that crawling skin feeling where I can't stand if anyone touches (and, of course, my kids want to touch me constantly), alternating between sweating and chilled, don't feel like eating much, my eyes are burning, my throat is sore and so are my poor boobies. greensad.gif I've cried a few times b/c I feel so bad. It's times like these when I realize just how alone I am.

I've already got D in 6 month size t-shirts. They are a bit big but not huge and it saves me buying a bunch. He's pretty much grown out of his 0-3 month Gerber kimono shirts. Oh, and I boiled those dipes I was having problems with and it seems to have worked. I've used a few with no sign of a rash. They are pretty old and kind of threadbare, though, so not very absorbent anymore. Too bad b/c they were my fave dipes and I think the store went out of business.

What kind of snarky remarks did you get? Too bad people can't be more supportive. I have a milk storing question. I don't have much of a system. The first bit of milk that I collect for the day I put directly into a bag and in the fridge. The second collection goes in a cup with a lid in the fridge until it has cooled. When I have more, I poor the milk in the cup into the bag and put the warm milk in the cup too cool. The thing is that when the milk cools the fat separates and sometimes sticks to the side of the cup. I've been swishing it to try to redissolve it before pouring it into the bag. Is that ok?

Edited b/c i forgot to subscribe.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#4 of 371 Old 09-04-2011, 04:02 PM

i don't think it worked so i'm posting again so i'll be subscribed.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#5 of 371 Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post

What kind of snarky remarks did you get? Too bad people can't be more supportive. I have a milk storing question. I don't have much of a system. The first bit of milk that I collect for the day I put directly into a bag and in the fridge. The second collection goes in a cup with a lid in the fridge until it has cooled. When I have more, I poor the milk in the cup into the bag and put the warm milk in the cup too cool. The thing is that when the milk cools the fat separates and sometimes sticks to the side of the cup. I've been swishing it to try to redissolve it before pouring it into the bag. Is that ok?

Ok good you saw.  I mean, wasn't that awful but wasn't very helpful either.  I saw that poster saying some other awful things to people so I'm just going to ignore her.  Thanks for your advice though!!

Swishing it is fine.  I used to run mine under lukewarm (not hot) tapwater to get the fat off the sides of the bottle before making DD's bottles when I worked.

I hope you're feeling better soon!!! How is the fever? 

#6 of 371 Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 AM

yeah, i didn't think that post was awful. not the most sensitive and supportive when you're sleep-deprived and stressed. i know how difficult overactive let-down is b/c i'm dealing with it, too. all i can say is that it does get better with time. block nursing may help you. if nothing else, you'll feel like you're doing something.

my fever seems to be gone (i don't take my temp so i have to go by how i feel), along with the other symptoms except my sore breast. it's very tender all over. i can find some spots that are more tender than others but no hard lumps that feel like a plugged duct. i don't know what to do for that. i'm going to try to take it easy again today. i'm going to see if i can supervise some clean up upstairs without participating. haha! we'll see how that goes.

i meant to answer you about your sling. have you tried completely unthreading it and rethreading it? maybe it got twisted somehow. whenever one is digging into my back it's b/c it's twisted. make sure that the tail is flat and as spread out over the rings as possible. make sure it's spread out flat across your back and shoulder before putting finn in it. i'll post more if i think of anything. all of that was probably covered on the sites you read. take it with to the LLL meeting. i bet they'll be someone else there who uses one and could help you.

where are the preggos? this thread is supposed to be for them. winky.gif

oh, have you tried the new groups yet? i read some of the thread about it and saw that you requested one. i think we could probably do that. we don't have to have a lot of separate threads if we don't want.

#7 of 371 Old 09-05-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

I'm waiting for them to get our DDC going as a group.  I think it'll happen sometime this week.  If it works out and is cool, we can totally do it for us.  We can of course still have our chat thread but maybe we can do a picture thread or something too.  It might be fun to have it be in a special place just for us, and if someone else wants to join they can.

Thanks for the tips on the sling.  I'll do that whole rethreading thing today.  I want to use it today b/c we're going to my ILs and I think we'll be outside a lot.  They're weird they don't like to hold babies much, so he'll be in my arms the whole time.  I'd rather just wear him!!  

Id nurse as much as possible on that sore bewb, and do warm compresses to try to break up the infection.  I'm glad overall you're feeling better though.  Do you have poke root on hand?  I'd do a dose of that just to clear out the breast tissue and then I bet you'll be good to go in a day or so.

where are all the preggos?  lol.gif

#8 of 371 Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 AM

We're sleeeeeeeeping. lol. 

No really though, I've been sleeping like crazy the last little bit. I feel like I'm fighting off some sort of sickness, so trying to just pamper my body a lot. I also have been going to the chiro, and he completely fixed my hip pain... but now my hips are back in place, I can feel I've got some major pubic symphysis pain going on. Wow. I'd rather the hip pain- that one was constant and throbbing, but the psd feels like someone is shooting you in the pelvis, and out of nowhere! Brutal guys! And if I remember from you guys talking about it, there's nothing really to do for it, but just wait. 

So, I'm feeling very... I don't even know the word, some combination of silly/incapacitated/useless/pathetic. I'm only 27 weeks, but feel like I'm acting closer to full term. Walking anywhere, even from one room to the next in the house, hurts. I don't even waddle... I just hobble. It's embarassing. Other than that, really I feel fine. But you tend to count walking as a basic human necessity, and it's very degrading not to be able to anymore. 

blah. Anyways... happy talk. It was a wonderful milestone seeing baby hit (based on the average growth anyways) 2lbs. That seems so big! And I've finished putting away almost all the rest of my non-mat clothes and fully fully into all my maternity wardrobe, right in time for fall to start (more of it is long sleeve and sweaters, so it's great). I'm just having a bit of a hard time finding comfy pants- I am sitting super low, so the only thing that feels right is very low rise sweatpants, etc. It makes it hard to dress up or wear jeans! lol. I'll have to take a photo for you guys. But-- it's still a plus in a way, because I was worried about that dreaded rib pain everyone talks about, and so far, baby isn't anywhere near them. I should be good for at least another month before she grows enough to come near my ribs. I think my fundus is still sitting about 2 inches below them. 

Getting frustrated with DH. I figure, if he's off work in order to work on the house (ie bringing in no money), then he should be working on the house as if it were a job-- ie for 8 hours every day. He's not. He's treating them like days off, and working for maybe two hours, and doing... who knows what else in the meantime. But I'm also not in the mood to fight, so I'm trying to be gentle about it. But right now, we are NOWHERE on target to have our basement finished by the time baby gets here. And it needs to be, because the baby's room is piled floor to ceiling with boxes from the basement right now- which obviously need to be emptied before we can organize and set up the nursery. blah. 

Time for food for this cranky preggo. lol. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 371 Old 09-05-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

We're sleeeeeeeeping. lol.

hey! don't rub it in! pinktongue.gif

once i got to a certain size i couldn't wear any bottoms except very stretchy soft cotton or spandex, like my yoga skirts, pants and short. it just hurts to have anything the least bit constrictive across my tummy anywhere. full panel pants are more comfortable in that sense. you could get a couple full panel things just for dress up when you need to.

#10 of 371 Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 AM

Hey -

Carrie - the ring part of the ring sling is why I much rather would wrap. I just can't picture it being comfortable, though people have told me they really liked theirs. 

MW: hope you are feeling better!

JJ: I'm tired, but can't be comfortable sleeping for long. Not that DS will let me, anyway!  take it while you can get it!  I hear you on your DH, but not much to be done about it. and bummer about the SPD - take it easy -

AfM: I have been super emotional the last couple days (hoping this is a sign of the end - FX!)  I totally exploded on DH . . .and he was like, wow, I didn't mean to make you that upset. I told him it is partly hormones, but partly really valid stuff. Don't ignore the stuff that's valid because hormones blew it out of proportion!  Anyway, feeling a little better yesterday and today, but boy, labor day! I was a wreck. I was either crying or trying not to most of the day. Not fun, because I really, really, hate crying. And I feel like I've been leaking fluid, but surely not, as it is only maybe once or twice a day the last couple days I've felt a little trickle. maybe just extra fluid down there in general . . .

So I'm going to go ahead and say it - I am ready to be done and meet this little girl!  - the pregnancy itself doesn't bother me - I'm uncomfortable, but it's bearable - but I don't like being super emotional and volatile. I'm ready to not be working. at least for a while, I have to go back to work by 8 weeks PP.

I need to pack my hospital bag though, and call our short term disability company to put them on the alert.

JJ: I agree re: full belly pants, unless you find some comfy underbelly ones. try to find ones that are pretty thin stretchy material over the belly, those are more comfy - IMHO - another thing that bummed me out this weekend was tearing my one really comfy pair of maternity pants (non work ones) so now I just have my shorts and dress clothes. ugh.

I need something to cheer me up! I've got coffee . . . .

ETA: 37 week picture. the ladies at work think I've dropped a bit. I hope so! I can say I feel like I can eat a little more than I used to, but it's hard to say.

fcf58626.jpg

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#11 of 371 Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 AM

Must be something in the air because I've been so emotional lately. I'm feeling the weight of something....kids! too many kids! school starting! nesting---I have 10 pages of "nesting" plans..... and a husband who just does his own thing on his own schedule (food, exercise, errands) and I'm jealous and angry about it. I'm hating my life right now....one of those weeks I guess where it all gets to be too much for me. I've been crying a lot. Weird because most of August, I was so zen ALL.THE.TIME. Must be the transition of summer to fall.....new routines. I've been nesting like crazy (I can't remember past pregnancies---isn't this a bit early???) and I just fall to pieces when the next day rolls around and someone has ruined whatever I organized. I get so worked up and just cry and cry. Rescue Remedy has been helping me a lot. I swear I need to use it everyday lately. I've told my DH to "shut up" a few days this week and I could have spanked my son when he threw his heavy airplane into the wall and make a little hole. I had to send him to his room for over an hour just to protect him from my anger. Nevermind my almost-teen's eye-rolling and back-talk.....I need time for me and I can't find it! Sadly, I don't think it's going to change especially with my new boy coming soon! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#12 of 371 Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 AM

Oh, Carrie, that is a the cutest card and Finn is just so scrumptious! I love the elephants on the top! My 6yo DD is obsessed with elephants and keeps picking out baby boy stuff with elephants on it! She even asked me to google "elephant shoes" for her...she wanted a pair for herself lol.gif

MW--oh man, I feel for you. It sucks to be sick and then to be sick when you're on your own...doubly sucks! hug.gif  Feel better mama!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#13 of 371 Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 AM

hug.gif back at you, Kinder. I know how you feel being overwhelmed with life and kids and family right now. I posted in the Parenting forum about being so fed up with my boys' bickering and just bad behavior. I can't take it anymore! I've been doing a lot of sending them to their rooms just so I can get some peace and quiet and cool down. Thank goodness they are playing a board game nicely right now.

Kat ~ I was very emotional starting a week before I went into labor. Remember? I had a complete break down for 2 or 3 days. A few people told me that was a sign that birth was close but I didn't really believe it. I can't remember, were you early with Gabe?

Getting the ring sling positioned correctly can take a few tries. I think the first few times I used mine the rings hurt me. I had them too high so they were pressing on my collarbone. Too low, though, and the whole thing will hurt your back.

I am feeling much better. My breast is now barely even tender. Amazing how that could heal on it's own like that. I was worried I would need abx after how bad I felt. We all slept pretty well last night. D went down for good at about 10 pm, 2 hours earlier than the night before. He did start to squirm and grunt and groan around 3 am but it wasn't as bad as the night before so I think I was able to sleep through some of it. He's not awake and he's not really fussing. He's trying to work out some gas, poor guy. I think the difference was that last night I gave him the Hyland's Colic tablets. The night before I couldn't find them and he was much more restless and noisy so that I couldn't sleep at all.

E starts homeschool chorus today. I'm so excited for him. He wanted to take singing lessons. Private lessons cost $75 a month. I didn't think we were going to be able to afford it but, just in time, I got a card in the mail about this homeschool chorus that's only $20 a month. Total bonus that he'll get to be in a class with other kids, which he's been wanting to do. Of course, now he's not sure he wants to do it. I think he's a little nervous. He say's he won't sing jingles and only likes pop and rock. lol.gif

#14 of 371 Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 AM

I think I remember something of the sort, which is why I'm slightly hopeful. I was induced at 41+6 with Gabe. BUT I think I may possibly have gone earlier (I was having good regular early labor contractions 2 days before my EDC, but stupid me went to the hospital and between having to be on a monitor not moving forever and the one CNM I didn't like examining me - I felt Gabe jump up in my my uterus, away from her hand - and needless to say, labor petered out)

At any rate, I have my GBS swab tomorrow, so we'll see what the doc says - not that they can really predict labor really, but may give some indication as to whether he feels she's engaged at all. I think so, but not sure.

Kinder - it's never too early to nest!  I was doing that Monday, trying to get closets more organized. I really want to do the kitchen and pantry, but since it is really my MIL's house, I'm not sure that would go over well. If you can, find some time to yourself. I am feeling slightly more sane today because I spent yesterday away from my DH with a friend of mine. so If you can, try! it will likely help a little.

MW - so glad you're feeling better and didn't need the ABX.  also yay on boys playing well by themselves for a bit! I'm sure E will enjoy the chorus once he gets going. Wonder if he'd mind singing "jingle bell rock"?! LOL

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#15 of 371 Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

I'm sure E will enjoy the chorus once he gets going. Wonder if he'd mind singing "jingle bell rock"?! LOL

Hehe, I'll have to suggest that to him. He came out of the class with a funny look on his face and ripped of his name tag like he was mad. I was sure he was going to say something bad happened and he wasn't going back. I didn't react or say anything, just waited for him. He said to me, "I think I'll come back next week." smile.gif

right, i forgot you were induced and all of that. just don't get your hopes up too much. as i'm sure carrie can attest, it can be very frustrating and distressing to get all set on having baby by a certain time when it doesn't happen.

#16 of 371 Old 09-07-2011, 01:58 PM

yeah, not getting my hopes up, but want to make sure we are all ready, just in case. It is a fine line to walk. I mean, I really do expect her to go all the way, if not over a bit, but all the same, wouldn't mind her coming a little early either . . . I'm conflicted. She'll come when she's good and ready in any case.

Glad he says he'll go back next week :)

#17 of 371 Old 09-07-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

right, i forgot you were induced and all of that. just don't get your hopes up too much. as i'm sure carrie can attest, it can be very frustrating and distressing to get all set on having baby by a certain time when it doesn't happen.

VERY frustrating!  Too many ppl told me I wouldn't make it to my due date.  I should have just stayed with the mentality I had from the beginning that he'd come late!  LOL!!

Quote:

hug.gif back at you, Kinder. I know how you feel being overwhelmed with life and kids and family right now. I posted in the Parenting forum about being so fed up with my boys' bickering and just bad behavior. I can't take it anymore! I've been doing a lot of sending them to their rooms just so I can get some peace and quiet and cool down. Thank goodness they are playing a board game nicely right now.

Kat ~ I was very emotional starting a week before I went into labor. Remember? I had a complete break down for 2 or 3 days. A few people told me that was a sign that birth was close but I didn't really believe it. I can't remember, were you early with Gabe?

Getting the ring sling positioned correctly can take a few tries. I think the first few times I used mine the rings hurt me. I had them too high so they were pressing on my collarbone. Too low, though, and the whole thing will hurt your back.

I am feeling much better. My breast is now barely even tender. Amazing how that could heal on it's own like that. I was worried I would need abx after how bad I felt. We all slept pretty well last night. D went down for good at about 10 pm, 2 hours earlier than the night before. He did start to squirm and grunt and groan around 3 am but it wasn't as bad as the night before so I think I was able to sleep through some of it. He's not awake and he's not really fussing. He's trying to work out some gas, poor guy. I think the difference was that last night I gave him the Hyland's Colic tablets. The night before I couldn't find them and he was much more restless and noisy so that I couldn't sleep at all.

E starts homeschool chorus today. I'm so excited for him. He wanted to take singing lessons. Private lessons cost $75 a month. I didn't think we were going to be able to afford it but, just in time, I got a card in the mail about this homeschool chorus that's only $20 a month. Total bonus that he'll get to be in a class with other kids, which he's been wanting to do. Of course, now he's not sure he wants to do it. I think he's a little nervous. He say's he won't sing jingles and only likes pop and rock. lol.gif

O.M.G.  I've been dealing with a TON of issues with Nora too.  I've had less than stellar parenting moments these past few days.  She is driving me INSANE.  Her whining is redic and she's regressing with the potty.  Not full accidents but enough that she needs to get to the bathroom sooner but just doesn't.  She pooped her pants and grandmas and that's just unheard of.  But, of course, we gently remind her, try not to chastise or make her feel embarassed but MAN.  WTF!?  And don't get me started on the whining and the tantrums.  dizzy.gif

I'm glad you're feeling better, MW.  Continue to take it easy so it really goes away.

I'm glad Ethan enjoyed his chorus class.  That sounds fun.  

I rethreaded my sling and it really did help.  I'm still working on getting him in a good spot so it doesn't kill my neck.  The rings don't cut in anywhere, it's just the fabric against my neck. All the pics and tutorials I see, the fabric is spread nicely over the shoulder.  Mine sits right against my neck and I can't get it spread out.  Idk what I'm doing wrong.  Maybe I'll do LLL and have them help me...

#18 of 371 Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I rethreaded my sling and it really did help.  I'm still working on getting him in a good spot so it doesn't kill my neck.  The rings don't cut in anywhere, it's just the fabric against my neck. All the pics and tutorials I see, the fabric is spread nicely over the shoulder.  Mine sits right against my neck and I can't get it spread out.  Idk what I'm doing wrong.  Maybe I'll do LLL and have them help me...

maybe if you lower the ring a little, the fabric will spread better. shrug.gif what brand and fabric is it?

mine is folded and fanned so that it's thick like padding so it can't bunch up. it's nice b/c it doesn't hurt but not so great b/c it restricts my shoulder movement. it would be nice to have the option of bunching it up on my neck.

kat ~ always good to be ready. i had so convinced myself that D wasn't coming until a day or two after my edd that i was very unprepared when he came 5 days early.

i posted this, http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1328258/is-this-strange#post_16641709, a few days ago and seizures were suggested. now i'm totally freaked out about it. if you have time, will you all read it and tell me what you think?

you all know how distrusting i am of doctors so i'm king of scared to take it to a doctor. but i'm now concerned enough to wonder if i can wait for D's 2 month check up on the 26th or if i should take him to the doc sooner. i've been paying closer attention to when this happens. yesterday there was once when maybe his whole body was shaking like a more classic seizure but i'm really not sure i saw what i think i saw. it happened so fast.

#19 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 AM

MW:  if you are honestly concerned, I really think it can't hurt to visit the doc. with something like seizures, it is better to know sooner than not.

Carrie: wish I could help with the ring sling issue. I know I never really got the fabric on my wrap to fan out over my shoulders, but it's not a big a deal in those.  and with Nora . . . don't know what to say; I know several of our friends with newborns are having issues with the older sibling, so I guess it's perfectly normal, but also perfectly frustrating!

I think I only got 4 hours total sleep last night. Gabe came to bed with us around 2 - no big deal, that, really - but did. not. go. back. to. sleep. Until after 5. I'm pretty sure. He'd get restless and wiggle and kick, and so therefore, DH and I neither one slept either. (maybe DH a little, because DS insists on snuggling with me). It didn't help that I was restless anyway, I'd wake up right before a contraction came (nothing big, regular, or whatever - but definitely noticeable) and that happened several times before Gabe came into bed with us. And I know she has definitely dropped, because the overhang of skin is applying more pressure against my symphasis pubis, which is uncomfortable/painful.

End of whine!

Dr. appointment in a bit. fun stuff!

#20 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 06:51 AM

kat ~ i forgot to say that i think you do look a little lower. thumb.gif

what's with everyone getting SPD? i had never even heard of it until a couple of years ago, and i had been through 3 pgs, and now it seems it's more common than not.

i agree that regression and increased sensitivity, etc. is normal in an older sibling when new baby comes. it can start even before baby is born. it's not limited to young children, either. i went through it with ryan when ethan was born and he was 12, turned 13 2 months later. give as much positive attention and cuddles as you can to the older child that doesn't involve the baby. i know, very hard to do.

i was able to get some time with K yesterday while E was in his singing class. D was with us but he was sleeping so i was able to focus completely on K. then last night by sheer luck i got some time with E after K and D fell asleep. we just talked but it was nice. yesterday was a much more pleasant day, too. nowhere near as much bickering.

i don't know how worried i am about the idea of D having seizures. I must not be that worried or I would have already rushed him to the ER. i hadn't thought of that until someone else mentioned it. i googled it and decided that wasn't it b/c D didn't exhibit any of the symptoms i read. then someone suggested the leg shaking was like the leg jerkiness described with seizures. it's really not, tho. with seizures, both legs jerk up toward the stomach in large movements. with D, it's just one leg and it straightens, if anything, and shakes very rapidly in very small movements the way a dog's leg shakes when you scratch it in just the right spot. His arms don't jerk at all. Most of the time, when his eyes roll like that, his entire body is completely limp. it's really hard to tell, though. infant seizures aren't as obvious as seizures in older children and adults. Someone suggested video taping it but it happens so fast that I wouldn't be able to get the camera on in time to get anything.

I do have the problem of the shoulders bunching on my wrap and hurting me sometimes. It has to have something with the way I put it on sometimes b/c it doesn't always happen. Haven't figured out what the problem is yet. I'm thinking maybe it hurts when I don't make the wrap tight enough so that D hangs off me a little and it pulls. I've been trying to put it on more loosely b/c it felt kind of tight and was hard to get D in. I thought maybe he was getting squished. Maybe I need to go back to making it tight. I keep forgetting I want to get some rings so I can try making a sling out of my wrap, too. If I can do that, I'll need to take one carrier with me instead of both when I go out.

#21 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM

appointment went ok; no cervical check (which is likely a good thing as they really aren't much of an indicator. part of me was kinda curious though!) just a swab. BP is a little high for me, so I go back Monday for a re-check. yay.

Is your wrap stretchy or woven? I forgot. If stretchy, do wrap tighter. Is there an inbetween for the woven? I know generally the method is the same for tying, but haven't used a woven wrap myself.

I am so sleepy.

oh, great that you got some 1x1 time with each boy - it probably does help some.

I need to do some walking, especially now the weather is cooler. Also need some EPO, but need to go to the health food store I guess or GNC. neither Walmart or Target carry it.

#22 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Glad the appointment went well. I have my 6 week PP check up today. It was supposed to be Tuesday but my MW had to reschedule b/c she was at a birth. I kind of don't even feel like going but I want to talk to her about the mastitis, now.

My wrap is woven. I was trying to put it on looser so it would be easier to get D in and then tighten it if I needed. I read directions on how to tighten it while baby was in it. It didn't work too well for me. It also depends somewhat on which wrap I do. If I do the wrap that crosses and has the band across the body, it's less likely to hurt than if I do the wrap that just crosses.

I'd like to go walking, too. I did take a walk the Friday before I got sick. It was so nice outside. I feel much better and up to walking but I think I'll wait another day or two just to make sure. I don't want to start doing too much too soon and get sick like that again.

Does anyone know if it's normal for mastitis to come on so fast like that? I was literally feeling fine, had just noticed that my breast was a little tender and I was feeling suddenly tired and within minutes I was incapacitated with aches, pains and chills.

#23 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, mastitis comes on QUICK.  When I got it, I had my 6 week pp visit with Nora.  No fever or any symptoms or signs at the appointment.  They did a breast exam and all was fine.  Driving home from the appointment, suddenly I got chills, sweats, and knew I had a high fever.  Took my 30  min to get home.  My temp when I got home was 102.  

Wraps are tough to tighten once baby is in.  I have a woven wrap, too.  It does feel very tight when it's on correctly.  I worry that Finn's going to stop breathing.  greensad.gif  

My RS is a Zolowear.  It feels like a soft canvas I suppose.  It's not rough but it's also not stretchy at all.  

Id love to walk but this week has been very rainy.  I do have the treadmill but I don't trust myself not to start running on it.  What would srsly be the worst that could happen?  LOL!

Re: older kids - I try to spend all the time I can with DD w/o DS, and it's so wonderful.  Some nights I still even put her to bed, which is nice.  I miss those times just the two of us, but since my hormones are starting to level out it doesn't reduce me to tears anymore.  She's awesome with Finn, loves her brother, loves to help.  But SHE is just being a little monster.  It's going to take lots of patience on my part, and DH's.  He doesn't have the same tolerance I have, which these days really isn't much, and is very quick to punish with a time out without addressing the issues first or at all.

I was starting to get annoyed with him though b/c I really don't like that I have to ask him to play with her, or spend time with her.  If I'm obviously busy with Finn, and she calls for him, he gets grumpy and is like WHAT?!  Ive said to him many times, just GO.  Go be with her, go play playdoh, go play trains.  Go dance.  Go BE WITH HER.  WHY is that so difficult??  She needs attention that I cannot give her, you NEED to be there for her right now.  Why is it like pulling teeth??  Maybe b/c I really was doing all the play-parenting before Finn came and how he actually has to DO stuff with is daughter and get off the computer??  Argh.  It's really quite annoying, and I hope he gets on the ball soon.

#24 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

I was starting to get annoyed with him though b/c I really don't like that I have to ask him to play with her, or spend time with her.  If I'm obviously busy with Finn, and she calls for him, he gets grumpy and is like WHAT?!  Ive said to him many times, just GO.  Go be with her, go play playdoh, go play trains.  Go dance.  Go BE WITH HER.  WHY is that so difficult??  She needs attention that I cannot give her, you NEED to be there for her right now.  Why is it like pulling teeth??  Maybe b/c I really was doing all the play-parenting before Finn came and how he actually has to DO stuff with is daughter and get off the computer??  Argh.  It's really quite annoying, and I hope he gets on the ball soon.

This is really hard to do for some people. It's hard for me to pull myself away from whatever I'm doing sometimes. So, yeah, I think you being the play-parent most of the time and him just being a guy (most guys just don't get it like we do) has a lot to do with it. My dad came here to help me with the boys and would get himself something to eat and sit down and eat it without asking if anyone else wanted anything. He just didn't think about the rest of us the way a woman/mother would. You probably need to sit down with him at a neutral time and talk about specifically what you need and what you expect from him.

I worry sometimes about D stopping breathing when he's in the wrap and the ring sling. I check a lot.

#25 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 AM

It's better to be over paranoid about that I guess - keep checking!

I have the same problem with DH; I will be downstairs (working!) and DS is up, I can hear him, and he's upset for like 10-15 minutes, he just wants to come down and eat breakfast. It will take DH at least that long to get up and bring him down. Most days I give up and go get him (FWIW- DS isn't in his room crying by himself or anything, he's in bed with DH, pulling on his hand, and sometimes will be hitting DH trying to get his attention, which frustrates DH more. If he would just GET UP DS wouldn't be so frustrated he'd be hitting him in the first place) - Granted, this hasn't happened in a couple weeks, mostly because DS has been waking up when I do, and so comes down with me.

Carrie, agree, try to talk to him when not in the heat of the moment.

I really hope I never have mastitis. I am glad it went so quickly!

#26 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Carrie: W/out seeing the sling in person, from the pics online it looks to me like the Zolowear might be hard to get fanned on the should just right.  It looks like there might be a seam that is a few inches up from the rings & keeps the fabric together.  Depending on how you are built, it might not be possible to have both the rings and the shoulder cap in the right place.  

MW: Yes, that sounds typical of mastitis.  I'm glad you're feeling better!  All my babies have done the rapid jerky leg thing.  It seems to be positional.  DD1 did it in utero!  

Kat: Good luck w/the bp.  I always think that's a hard one, b/c if you're nervous about it then your bp will be higher!  

AFM: We're starting to get out of the house a little more.  DH is back to work; of course it's just a 3 day week this week, so it's a nice easy transition.  But the girls & I are venturing out on our own! Yesterday we went to the library, and today we did a big commissary shop.  It actually went well!  P doesn't like getting in the car, but she falls asleep once we start moving (knock on wood, I hope it continues!).  I'm loving EC!  She had a wet dipe when we got to commissary, but I changed her & then we sat on a bench outside & I nursed her in the sling before we went in.  She went to sleep after nursing, but woke up halfway through the shopping & needed to potty.  She waited through walking halfway across the store to the bathroom!  Then I nursed her in the sling as we shopped & she fell back to sleep.  I did end up w/a milk spot on my shirt, but was able to keep it covered w/the sling.  And we made it all the way back home with a dry dipe.  I'm kind of amazed with how much more relaxed I am w/#3...I was so self conscious w/#1, but I'm just not even thinking about what other people might think anymore.  I think a lot of it has to do with devoting so much brain energy to taking care of three kids instead of just one.  thumb.gif

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#27 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 PM

I talked to my MW about the seizure thing and she doesn't think it sounds like that. She said I didn't describe anything that concerned her. D even went into that eye rolling trance while I was there and she commented that he was milk drunk. lol.gif

Shannon ~ Yay for getting out of the house and having things go so well. How did you know that P needed to pee? (hehe)

Carrie ~ You want to talk about regression? K actually pooped on the rug in the upstairs playroom this morning! WTH?! I don't let him wear a Pull-Up or underwear inside b/c he was pooping in them again. He was doing well going to the bathroom when he didn't have anything on but now he's doing this. He says he didn't know he had to go. I'm beginning to think he's doing it on purpose. Trying very hard not to get upset but still talk to him about using the toilet like I know he can. It's a fine line.

I have to say that I would be really angry if my dh were in bed ignoring ds who was trying to wake him up so he could come down to eat if that was his job, so to speak. My dh is always up before the rest of us when he's home so I would call him when one of the boys wanted to get up and I wanted to sleep in. I couldn't lay there and ignore them, though. I think that's a guy thing b/c my dh can fall asleep in the middle of the living room floor while i can't fall asleep in the bedroom if the boys are up even when i know dh is with them.

#28 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post

Carrie: W/out seeing the sling in person, from the pics online it looks to me like the Zolowear might be hard to get fanned on the should just right.  It looks like there might be a seam that is a few inches up from the rings & keeps the fabric together.  Depending on how you are built, it might not be possible to have both the rings and the shoulder cap in the right place.  

There's a seam directly over the rings, and then it's sort of pleated.  It's very tight when it's on.  I agree, it might not be possible - but I'm going to keep trying!  I love the poppability of a sling rather than a wrap, especially in the heat.

Quote:

I worry sometimes about D stopping breathing when he's in the wrap and the ring sling. I check a lot.

I'm glad it's not just me.  thumb.gif

Quote:

Carrie ~ You want to talk about regression? K actually pooped on the rug in the upstairs playroom this morning! WTH?! I don't let him wear a Pull-Up or underwear inside b/c he was pooping in them again. He was doing well going to the bathroom when he didn't have anything on but now he's doing this. He says he didn't know he had to go. I'm beginning to think he's doing it on purpose. Trying very hard not to get upset but still talk to him about using the toilet like I know he can. It's a fine line.

I have to say that I would be really angry if my dh were in bed ignoring ds who was trying to wake him up so he could come down to eat if that was his job, so to speak. My dh is always up before the rest of us when he's home so I would call him when one of the boys wanted to get up and I wanted to sleep in. I couldn't lay there and ignore them, though. I think that's a guy thing b/c my dh can fall asleep in the middle of the living room floor while i can't fall asleep in the bedroom if the boys are up even when i know dh is with them.

Oh.My.God.  That takes the patience of a saint, woman.  Today is a good potty day, and Nora even had a bad bellyache and some diarrhea.  I think it was from too many cashews.  She has issues with nuts -- she eats way too many and then gets a tummy ache.  

I agree w/you.  I'd be pissed - especially if I were busy (as in working) and DH was acting "lazy".  He was so lazy when I was pg.  I always had to get up with Nora early (he never would) and he would *never* make coffee.  He would lay in bed and even check his email in bed so he wouldn't have to get up.  Pissed me off so badly!!

Finn is ELEVEN pounds!  Holy moly!  I knew he was getting chubby but that's awesome!  

#29 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Shannon ~ Yay for getting out of the house and having things go so well. How did you know that P needed to pee? (hehe)

She was still sleeping, but she gave a little yell, and then another, and then another.  lol.gif

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#30 of 371 Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:

That takes the patience of a saint, woman.

i don't think it's patience. i shut down when i get emotionally overloaded. i was upstairs cleaning the poo off the rug while K was downstairs crying about something else and i just had to ignore him. i would not have been nice if i had tried to have any interaction with him. greensad.gif

3 weeks and 11 lbs.!? That's even bigger than my babies. lol.gif My MW weighed D today and she got 14 lbs. That was with a diaper, t-shirt and soaker on so she said I could maybe take 1/2 lb. off of that. 13.5 lbs. at 6 1/2 weeks. He's gaining about a pound a week, which she said is a lot. I can't help it. He doesn't nurse a lot, about every 2-3 hours during the day and 3-6 hours at night.

I went to Walmart today to buy a Graco highback Turbobooster. I checked on the website and it said it was in the store. Well, all they had in the highback was a pink flowery one. Nothing in a boy or even GN color. They had tons of backless. Talk about false advertising. Grrr!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page