Which tests and/or ultrasounds are you opting out of? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't decide if I might want to opt out of the Nuchal Translucency screening and ultrasound at 11 weeks that I have already made an appointment for.  I know that it can give false positives and false negatives.  Also not sure about the effects of ultrasound and what kind of impact (if any) it can have on baby.

Wife to DH 2002

Mommy to DD 2008

Shockingly expecting baby #2 in May 2012

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif*40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For us the decision was based more on what would we do if it came back positive. As we wouldn't end the pregnancy we decided to opt out.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 15 Old 09-12-2011, 09:19 PM

We are opting out of all testing and ultrasounds except those that our midwife thinks are necessary (which so far, hasn't been any).  We even waited until the 20 week appointment to hear the heartbeat with a fetoscope.

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#4 of 15 Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 PM

It really depends on what you would do with the information. We decided to opt out of all genetic testing, quad screen etc this pregnancy. We had a 20 week ultrasound and that's pretty much it. Now, if I ever get pregnant after 35, we would probably look into screenings,. I wouldn't terminate a pregnancy, but I would like to get my ducks in a row in case we were having a special needs child.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#5 of 15 Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 AM

I agree, it does depend on what you would do with the information. My DH told me from the beginning that he wouldn't want to terminate the pregnancy if something was awry, and I honestly just didn't want to even have to think about that sort of thing during my pregnancy and have to make such a big decision. Since the screenings aren't always accurate, that just added more fear to the situation. I would just take things as they came. We opted out of all genetic testing. We also didn't get any ultrasounds until 20 weeks (and then one at 23 weeks just because they couldn't get a complete scan the first time due to baby's position). Several people made negative comments to me about not having gotten an earlier ultrasound, as if it was so completely necessary and blah blah blah. I honestly don't see any reason to have one super early, like some people have them at 8 weeks just to make sure there's a heartbeat. I figured I would hear the heartbeat on my midwife's doppler at 12-13 weeks anyway, so I didn't need to expose my teeny tiny embryonic baby to an ultrasound. If other people want to do that, that's totally cool! I just preferred not to for my baby's sake since I don't feel that ultrasounds are as risk-free as they're promoted to be.

Like the pp stated, I would probably consider getting more screenings if I were over 35 or more at risk, though. Even then, I'd be cautious with the information. My coworker has a close friend who had all of the screenings and was told her baby had Down Syndrome, so she went through the entire pregnancy trying to cope and dealing with the devastation, preparing for a special needs child since they didn't want to terminate. Thank goodness they didn't terminate because the baby came out fine! He didn't have Down Syndrome; he was completely healthy... I'm sure that's not a typical situation, but it does happen. greensad.gif

I'm sure whatever choices you make will be right for you and your baby! Just trust your instincts; do whatever you are most comfortable with. Don't let anyone scare you into doing something one way or another. Just make an informed choice. smile.gif

First came partners.gif then cat.gif then another cat.gif and then babygirl.gif (11/11)
#6 of 15 Old 09-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Agreed with the PPs - depends on your stance. We opted out of all genetic testing and ultrasounds but the 20 week anatomy scan.

Apart from that, I don't allow pelvic exams throughout pregnancy, I had two planned pregnancies and did pap 1 month before conception each time (which includes those STD tests). I do do the blood work, GBS and GD testing. I don't allow dopplers, fetoscopes only.

#7 of 15 Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I do have a "special" circumstance because DD was diagnosed with cancer at 15 months, which I often think could have possibly been diagnosed with prenatal ultrasounds seeing as how it was a huge grapefruit sized tumor when it was found at a routine well baby visit at 15 months.  Then on the other hand because no one knows what caused the cancer, I think, "Could the radiation from the ultrasounds themselves have had a part in causing the cancer?"  Ugh.  I guess I need to stop worrying myself and be grateful that my strong DD is now cancer-free and hope it never happens again.  At least there is a strong probability that her type of neuroblastoma is not genetic.  Thanks for all of your replies!

Edited to add.  Also, you all have great points about "what would you do with the information?"  We would not terminate the pregnancy no matter what we found out, so that's something to think about.

Wife to DH 2002

Mommy to DD 2008

Shockingly expecting baby #2 in May 2012

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif*40

#8 of 15 Old 09-13-2011, 04:02 PM

Ultrasound does not produce radiation. You're exposed to a good amount of ionizing radiation just standing on planet Earth through the duration of your pregnancy. Ultrasound HAS been implicated in some changes having to do with brain structure, but that is attributed to the heat from the sound waves. I wouldn't have more than 2 during your pregnancy unless something seemed off, but like you said, because there is a history, I'd say the risk is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2bnc View Post

I guess I do have a "special" circumstance because DD was diagnosed with cancer at 15 months, which I often think could have possibly been diagnosed with prenatal ultrasounds seeing as how it was a huge grapefruit sized tumor when it was found at a routine well baby visit at 15 months.  Then on the other hand because no one knows what caused the cancer, I think, "Could the radiation from the ultrasounds themselves have had a part in causing the cancer?"  Ugh.  I guess I need to stop worrying myself and be grateful that my strong DD is now cancer-free and hope it never happens again.  At least there is a strong probability that her type of neuroblastoma is not genetic.  Thanks for all of your replies!

Edited to add.  Also, you all have great points about "what would you do with the information?"  We would not terminate the pregnancy no matter what we found out, so that's something to think about.

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#9 of 15 Old 09-14-2011, 04:43 PM

I had all of the basic prenatal blood work, as well as my main ultrasound and MANY BPP's later on due to preeclampsia.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#10 of 15 Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 PM

I opted out of all the NT/triple screen/quad screen/whatever else is lumped in with that. I am completing all bloodwork, GD test, and the anatomy scan.

#11 of 15 Old 09-15-2011, 12:28 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did the routine blood work, pap, ultrasound at 20 weeks, and will do the group B strep test(although it is pointless, I just want to know that I'm neg so I dont have antibiotics forced on me), that is IT.  Most of the time I dont even let them use the dopplar, only the fetoscope if they have one.  Here is an article on GBS, very good!!  http://mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/treating-group-b-strep 

I refused all genetic testing, tests for defects, diabetese, etc.

#12 of 15 Old 09-15-2011, 09:47 AM

I had no problem with tests like the GBS and the gestational diabetes screen...two fewer things to worry about and it's always an option to refuse treatment (although I wouldn't do so).

In terms of ultrasounds, I skipped the nuchal translucency test but did have an early ultrasound for dating the pregnancy. It took about two minutes, and confirmed that I was correct about my due date. My OB originally had my due date at Sept 8th based on my period (which is never regular) but the dating ultrasound moved it to the 16th. That week or so makes a huge difference later in pregnancy. 

I had the quad screen and the 20 week anatomy ultrasound. The 20 week ultrasound was really cute compared to the early one!

#13 of 15 Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I do an early u/s, because with my history of multiple miscarriages I like to know ahead if I can to prepare myself emotionally. Although, seeing a heartbeat doesn't mean I'm in the clear, but not seeing one does mean I need to prepare.

I deny the pap and STD testing, aside from AIDS. I have no pelvic exams during pregnancy until I am already in labor. With my history of losses, it just makes me feel better, even though I have no scientific reason for it.

I also do not do the quad screen, because I don't want the stress, but I do want the anatomy scan so that I, and my medical professionals, can be adequately prepared in case something comes up.

I do the 20 week anatomy scan, GBS testing, and GD test, plus I have some other tests (bloodwork and u/s) that I have to do because of medical conditions.

#14 of 15 Old 09-15-2011, 08:18 PM

I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks because I had miscarried at 10 weeks the pregnancy before, and the stress of not knowing if there was a living baby in there was killing me.  I had the anatomy scan at 18 weeks.  I'm glad I did that, too, since I know a couple of people who had pretty big, scary things show up on theirs and I wanted to be prepared.

I didn't have the quad screen or any other genetic testing done.  We would not terminate, and knowing myself and the amount of stress that could result, from either a false positive or a true positive, I just knew it was not something that would be productive for me.

#15 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 06:50 AM

Since I'm "of advanced maternal age" now, ahem... it was suggested that we have a level two anatomy scan at 18 weeks (different from the 20 week scan at my OB's office which I will have) as well as a specific heart scan sometime around 24 weeks.  We had the NT scan (as we did with our last pregnancy) and since baby had a brain (and everything looked great, blood was good, etc), I opted out of the other two scans because I wouldn't do anything anyway.  I get a 3D/4D scan sometime in the third trimester (i'm not sure why they give us one, this is a first for me), but honestly, I've never had one of those come out looking good (I had them with my last two, but they were not at my OB's office).  So... I might just opt out of that as well.  But who knows, I do like seeing baby.  We'll see.    

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  

User Tag List