what do you think of when you hear the name... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What do you think of the name Esme?
What a cute name! 16 23.53%
Sounds French. 9 13.24%
Is that from Twighlight? 31 45.59%
I hate it... 12 17.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

You do know that Twilight will be long forgotten and if remembered, only as a silly cultural blip by the time this girl is of an age to read it, right? That trash is not going to stand the test of time like J.D. Salinger!

I disagree with you. Everyone knows that the blip of dana's and crystal's came from a tv show called Dynasty. These things do date a person. Remember all the Jennifers after the Love Story in the 70's. More recently...... Fiona from Shrek.

I say stay away from pop culture when naming children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I disagree with you. Everyone knows that the blip of dana's and crystal's came from a tv show called Dynasty. These things do date a person. Remember all the Jennifers after the Love Story in the 70's. More recently...... Fiona from Shrek.

I knew the Jennifers, but not Dana and Crystal, fwiw. But yeah, names date people when they're trendy. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

Old 10-11-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I honestly didn't know Dana and Crystal came from Dynasty (never watched it). I do agree that a name can be popularized by a trendy show/song/movie. But what I'm saying is, that shouldn't matter if the name is already established as a classic name, which I believe Esme is (and Fiona was). Those names aren't going to come across as dated (like Crystal).
Old 10-11-2011, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

But what I'm saying is, that shouldn't matter if the name is already established as a classic name, which I believe Esme is (and Fiona was).

I'm not sure that Esme is a classic name. I never heard of it before Twilight myself. Am I missing some great classic?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 AM

As an old French name, Esme was classic long before JD Salinger's "For Esme With Love and Squalor" brought it more into public consciousness in the 50's. It's been used in Britain for centuries. You run into it in old books all the time.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:38 PM

it's definitely a pretty name, but I immediately think of Twilight.  If you're cool with that, who cares!  :)

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:46 PM

(1) My friend's daughter who has that name

(2) Nickname for Esmeralda

I think you should pick it if YOU LIKE IT.  So hard to come up with the perfect name-- if it's one that you enjoy hearing others say and saying yourself, then that is the right name!

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I honestly didn't know Dana and Crystal came from Dynasty (never watched it). I do agree that a name can be popularized by a trendy show/song/movie. But what I'm saying is, that shouldn't matter if the name is already established as a classic name, which I believe Esme is (and Fiona was). Those names aren't going to come across as dated (like Crystal).

I had Fiona picked out as a name since I was in 6th grade (I wanted it as my name!) . . .so annoyed when pregnant w/her and Shrek came out.  Almost didn't use the name, but I did and have not regretted it.  My daughter, however, is tired of hearing, "Oh, like from Shrek?"  Some people have actually asked me if I named her because of Shrek (uh . . .), but most people say nothing or tell me they love it.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 10-13-2011, 12:59 PM

Twilight (unfortunately) ... but it is a beautiful name.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 PM

I know an Esme :) I think it's a lovely name but then I've never seen Twilight.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 10-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Funny, I am a Jennifer from the 70's and I've never seen Love Story or knew it was connected to my name. So maybe the parents will associated Esme with Twilight but her peers won't. I do think Esme is trendy now, but I think it started a bit before Twilight since all these other old fashion names became popular in the last few years. I think it is a pretty name and you should just go for it if you like it. FWIW, my mom SWEARS she didn' tknow any Jennifers until after she named me. You never know how popular your child's name will get or what new show will come out after they are born. I like the name Dora, and I feel sorry for all those LO's named Dora before the show came out. They must never be able to escape the theme song. . . . but Diegos don't seem to get teased as much.

User Tag List