Do you think of a BOY or a GIRL when you hear these baby names? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini529 View Post

Morgan - Boy, occasionally girl

Cameron - boy,occasionally  girl

Jordan - boy, occasioanlly girl

Dylan - boy rarely girl

Avery - girl, rarely boy

Elliot - boy only

Bailey - girl rarely boy

The reason I ask is because I am having a boy and these are all names that made my short list. I really really like Jordan but my parents are convinced it's on its way to being the next Madison or Ashley and that his teachers will assume he's a girl.  Then my sister looked over my list and said a bunch of the names are now girl names.  I don't know a ton of little kids or babies but I honestly thought these were boy names, or at least they used to be.  I personally don't care and want to just use it anyway, but now DH is second guessing them :( I want him to really love whatever we pick, too so we both have to be on board here.  

So what do you think...if you were a preschool teacher, would you be scanning the room for a boy or a girl on the first day of class? 

answers above, and without looking at other responses.  

#32 of 42 Old 09-22-2011, 08:50 PM

my initial reaction...

morgan - girl

cameron - boy

jordan - boy

dylan - boy

avery - girl

elliot - boy

bailey - girl

that said, i've known both boys and girls (men and women) with most of these names.

i grew up with a boy's name and rather enjoyed it (it wasn't very common at the time, so that helped), but i can understand why your dh might not be thrilled about his son having a "girl's" name. 

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#33 of 42 Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 PM

I've only heard Avery as a girl's name. Jordan, Dylan, Cameron, and Elliot are still very much used as boy's names. Morgan is more gender neutral.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#34 of 42 Old 09-23-2011, 06:24 AM

If Jordan is your favorite then go for it! Convince your DH not to listen to what others think! I have a cousin named Jordan. He is one of my favs :)

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#35 of 42 Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini529 View Post

Good point!  I thought I picked a pretty regular boy name for my last son (not really common, but definitely not out there) and my parents made it seem like it was soooo different and had never heard of it before.  I've since met like 5 other little boys with the same name, so I guess I wasn't all that original.  I don't know what it is about Jordan that draws me to the name.  I've just always pictured it on a good looking boy.  And it goes well with our last name.  

I was thinking I could pair it with a middle name that starts with J or D (we have two family names that start with those letters.) Then he could go by JJ or JD or something if he decided he hated it?  

Then go for it! I took my youngest 2 to the park yesterday and there was an adorable toddler boy there named Jordan. thumb.gif

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#36 of 42 Old 09-23-2011, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Morgan - Girl

Cameron - Boy

Jordan - Boy

Dylan - Boy

Avery - Either

Elliot - boy

Bailey - girl

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#37 of 42 Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 PM

All those names would probably be considered unisex.  I didn't realize that there was such a trend toward naming girls boy names until my son Quinlan (who goes by Quinn a lot) was a year old.  So I've kept an eye on the way the numbers go with these names.  You made the comment that a name goes to the girls, never to return.  That was true even 20 years ago, but lately it's different.  Many unisex names these days are more popular for girls, but used steadily for boys. Avery is a good example of this.

Popularity of the female name Avery
Year of birth Rank
2010 23
2009 32
2008 38
2007 48
2006 52
2005 67
2004 77
2003 89
2002 132
2001 152

Note: Rank 1 is the most popular, rank 2 is the next most popular, and so forth. You did not specify the sex for the name Avery, so we used female data based on popularity. Name data are from Social Security card applications for births that occurred in the United States.

Popularity of the male name Avery
Year of birth Rank
2010 210
2009 223
2008 216
2007 221
2006 211
2005 215
2004 225
2003 219
2002 245
2001 242
2000 245
Note: Rank 1 is the most popular, rank 2 is the next most popular, and so forth. Name data are from Social Security card applications for births that occurred in the United States.

Obviously this doesn't hold true with all names, but I think that the girls-taking-boy-names trend has become so common that parents of boys are tired of trying to avoid all the names that have been used for girls and are now naming their boys what they like regardless.

Also, last year my son started kindergarten and 7 out the 18 kids in his class had unisex names.  4 girls and 3 boys.  A boy who's a couple grades older has the same name as one of the girls in my son's class and that was no big deal to anybody.  A high school girl who came to their classroom to help them care for their guinea pig had the same name as one of the boys in ds's class.  Again, not a big deal.  There are so many unisex names now that it's normal for today's kids to know people of both genders with the same name.  Or to know someone of the opposite gender with the same name as their own.

My point is, go with the names you like.  You could name your son Jameson and run into a girl Jameson (my sister met one a few years ago).   From your list, my vote would go to Morgan.  I know 1 boy Morgan (and 1 adult man Morgan) and 2 girl Morgan's.  I think it's really cute on a boy. 

#38 of 42 Old 09-23-2011, 07:11 PM

my first impressions:

Morgan - mostly boy

Cameron - mostly boy

Jordan - boy

Dylan - boy

Avery - girl

Elliot - boy

Bailey - girl

chicken3.gif     2008.2011.2014      homeschool.gif
#39 of 42 Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 PM

Morgan: Definitely girl. Both DSD and DD1 have a girl at their schools called Morgan.

Cameron: Girl.

Jordan: Can be either. Slightly more boy.

Dylan: Boy, definitely.

Avery: Boy.

Elliot: Boy.

Bailey: Definitely boy.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpg mother to micro-preemie DD1 and 2E PG DD2. Stepmother to trans DSD. Owned by acat.gif! Pregnant and due 6th June '12. cd.gifnocirc.gifbfinfant.gif

#40 of 42 Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 AM

Morgan - girl

Cameron - boy

Jordan - boy

Dylan - boy

Avery - girl

Elliot - boy

Bailey - girl

I don't think Jordan is turning into a girl name, at least in my neck of the woods. I haven't met any little girls named Jordan at playgroups or anything.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#41 of 42 Old 09-24-2011, 11:57 AM

To me, all of the names you listed are names I would think 'boy' for except Morgan and Bailey. I've only ever met female Bailey's and I had 4 Morgans in my high school class and they were all female. I have seen Jordan and Cameron used as girl names but not nearly as frequently as boy names (in my neck of the woods, at least).

I think that just based on the responses in this thread, it's really widely varied as to which of those names lean towards boy, girl, or unisex. To me that says that no matter what you name your DS, there's a chance that name could be a 'girl's name' in some places or to some people. So you may as well name him whatever you like!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#42 of 42 Old 09-24-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post

Obviously this doesn't hold true with all names, but I think that the girls-taking-boy-names trend has become so common that parents of boys are tired of trying to avoid all the names that have been used for girls and are now naming their boys what they like regardless.

That is a good point...you really never know which names are going to switch over. I can understand some of the softer sounding names like Ashley making the switch, but at this point it's just unpredictable.  Jordan just seems like a random name to suddenly become unisex.  I mean, why Jordan and not Justin?  Ten years from now, George could be a top ten girl name for all we know!  I'm not sure if we'll use it because we have a few other contenders that are definite possibilities, but you have all really made me feel better about it if I do go with it.  Thanks for all of your responses!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page