help me think of a Jewish girls name.... - Mothering Forums
1 2 
I'm Pregnant > help me think of a Jewish girls name....
contactmaya's Avatar contactmaya 12:17 PM 09-27-2011

Bracha was a name i wanted. But my last baby turned out to be a boy, so that became Baruch.

I like Zachav-but  the sound more than the meaning. And so many chets!

Can anyone help me think of a Jewish girls name?

In fact, any interesting girls name with an interesting meaning....

Thanks in advance 

:-)

Snugglebugmom's Avatar Snugglebugmom 07:10 PM 09-27-2011

Miriam, the Hebrew version of Mary, is the first and really only one that comes to mind for me. So a quick Google search turned up this link. I especially love Liron ("I have joy") and Neria ("Light of God"). Hope this gives you some ideas to work with! 

parsley's Avatar parsley 07:29 AM 09-28-2011

Here are some of my favorites:

Naomi

Shira (song)

Elana (tree)

Shoshana (rose)

Adar

Beverly's Avatar Beverly 08:15 AM 09-28-2011

I've always loved Elisheva.  Aviva and Yael are nice, too, :)

cygknit's Avatar cygknit 10:05 PM 09-30-2011

I second Elisheva. I am also a fan of Eliana and Sivan.

philomom's Avatar philomom 11:33 PM 09-30-2011
Eva, Naomi and Ada

Dina, Hannah and Sabrina

Jordan, Jocelyn and Deborah

That's all the ones I can think of that aren't so common.
terrordactyl's Avatar terrordactyl 12:13 PM 10-01-2011

Tirzah 

Shaina

Batsheva

Yam (means Ocean/sea)

NicaG's Avatar NicaG 06:40 PM 10-01-2011
Allegra
Ariela
Avia
Aviva
Dalia
Dina
Ilana
Margalit
Raisa
Talia
Ziva
Beccadoula's Avatar Beccadoula 06:49 PM 10-02-2011

I always loved the idea of naming a girl Selah - from the Psalms.  I believe it means a pause or change to be made in the music...many of the psalms were songs.  I also had a great friend who was named Cherith - after the brook/river that Elija (?) escaped to.  She said it was a place of refuge.  Others: Darda - pearl of wisdom/compassionate one, Dora - Generation/a gift, Eden - dilightful/pleasing, Eunice - joyous victory/faithful, Eve - lifegiver/breath of life, Havilah - rich land/new beginnings, Jada - wise/insightful, Judith - praise the Lord/deliverance, Kyria - ladylike/gracious,Lydia - cultured one/spiritual light, Melita - honey sweet/industrious, Moriah - God is My Teacher/The Lord Will Provide, Shiloh - bringer of peace/ God's bounty, Tabitha - clear-sighted/discerning, Tirzah - pleasing/favorable to God, Zemirah - joyous melody/praised, Zoe - Life  (Taken from Classical Biblical Baby Names by Judith Tropea)

contactmaya's Avatar contactmaya 12:32 PM 10-03-2011

Wow, there are some beautiful names there, especially the last post. And i love 'Neriah'. Ive been going through  website after website of names, only a handful inspire me, but have not come across many of those mentioned here.

I like the name Ásher'. i wonder if you can call a girl ''Ashrei''? I have not seen it anywhere.

'Cherith' is very interesting and original.

Thanks so much, keep them coming!! I still havent settled on a name yet....

philomom's Avatar philomom 12:36 PM 10-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

Wow, there are some beautiful names there, especially the last post. And i love 'Neriah'. Ive been going through  website after website of names, only a handful inspire me, but have not come across many of those mentioned here.

I like the name Ásher'. i wonder if you can call a girl ''Ashrei''? I have not seen it anywhere.

'Cherith' is very interesting and original.

Thanks so much, keep them coming!! I still havent settled on a name yet....

I think Cherith is problematic .. folks will try to make it into Cherish all the time.
contactmaya's Avatar contactmaya 09:54 AM 10-04-2011

''Uphara" means leader. Thats one i am considering, since i like the sound of it.Thoughts?

Beccadoula's Avatar Beccadoula 06:20 PM 10-04-2011

How would you pronounce that?  Not to be rude, but it isn't obvious at a glance...just a thought.

philomom's Avatar philomom 06:53 PM 10-04-2011
You- par- ah?.... I don't think anyone will spell or pronounce that correctly for you.
Snugglebugmom's Avatar Snugglebugmom 06:02 AM 10-05-2011

I would pronounce it "you-FAH-rah". It's a strong, unusual name, and your daughter will never have to share her name with two or three little class mates! I like unusual names, I love watching a child growing into their name and making it their own! 

artekah's Avatar artekah 11:38 AM 10-06-2011
I love Norah and Shirah.
contactmaya's Avatar contactmaya 11:52 AM 10-06-2011

Someone suggested <<Oriah>>, which i like. But my own Hebrew name has <<Orah>> in it. Which made me wonder, can i use names that are similar in meaning to <<Orah>>, like <<Neriah>>.Orah, meaning light,  Oriah, meaning light of Gd, and Neriah, also meaning light of Gd, but i suppose strictly speaking it would be  candle of Gd.

(apologies for the  coma situation here, french keyboard)

Another one 'Dror', meaning freedom, or little bird/robin i think. But in english it sounds too much like  <<drawer>>

....still thinking, enjoying the conversation :-)

Thursday Girl's Avatar Thursday Girl 07:18 PM 10-07-2011

Rivka, I love it, Hubs won't use it because we aren't Jewish. Not sure what it means though.

LilMomma83's Avatar LilMomma83 08:41 PM 10-08-2011

I imediatly thought of Tirzah (no idea on meaning...my jewish coworker named her daughter that and I love the sound of it)...saw a lot of people mentioned Naomi - that's what we are naming our daughter haha...so a little biased.....

contactmaya's Avatar contactmaya 07:33 AM 10-23-2011

Ve samata, chag sameach! Sound familiar? 

I think i like the meaning and sound of the word ''Samata'', i will rejoice. Nickname-Sam.

What do you think?  I also like Emet.

BubbleMa's Avatar BubbleMa 08:17 AM 10-23-2011

This is my favorite website for baby names:  http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/  You can do an advanced search, and search for Jewish names.  :)

Justmee's Avatar Justmee 11:48 AM 10-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday Girl View Post

Rivka, I love it, Hubs won't use it because we aren't Jewish. Not sure what it means though.

Rivka is "to bind"

Neriya is on paper a boy's name, but I've heard it used for girls (if that type of thing bothers the OP).

Kindermama's Avatar Kindermama 07:14 PM 10-25-2011

Noa and Esther come to mind

chapluqa's Avatar chapluqa 11:55 PM 10-25-2011

I noticed you liked the name Zachava,  as far as I know (from living in Israel for some years), the female name is Zehava (meaning golden) and doesn't have any chet in it (spelled with a hey in the middle).

One of my favorite Hebrew/Israeli names is Maya, and considering that DH is Israeli, it would be a very appropriate choice for us, since both my American family and his Israeli family could pronounce it. But it's a very common name in Israel and I want my kids to have somewhat 'special' or names, probably since I have one and have always enjoyed being the only one with my name.

Another nice one is Ayala, which means deer. 

lilacvioletiris's Avatar lilacvioletiris 04:10 AM 10-26-2011

I had a friend in college named Rahel.  I always loved the sound of it.  It means "ewe".

contactmaya's Avatar contactmaya 11:52 AM 10-26-2011

I like Zehava. meaning golden. Nice.  Thankyou Chapluqa!  Some of the other suggestions are nice too. Thankyou.

Well, apologies for my appalling Hebrew grammar. The Simchat Torah refrain i mentioned above is in the masculine, and contains a Chet,  so its  've samachta, ach sameach'', which i believe is, ''you will rejoice, just joy,', ...but only in the masculine (taken from Deuteronomy)

Azah, means bright. Maybe. 

With ds1 and 2 i knew the name straight away. Why is this so much harder?

Dara, means compassionate.  

Odelia, i will praise Gd (i think)

Tamah, meaning whole or perfect. Very close to Tamar,(meaning date?) which as a name i like, but the biblical Tamar was a prostitute wasnt she? 

I like the concept of gratitude, but none of the Hebrew words for gratitude make for a good name. There is Hodaya, thanksgiving.

Yovella, rejoice- but in the sense of rejoicing is the harvest of Jubilee, or something like that.

Emet, meaning truth, is a boys name i think, but ii like it for a girl too. I know Israelis are  more lenient with gender usage of names.

Im thinking, Zehava Emet.....

Thanks again for suggestions! And any insight into the ways of naming in Israel is so helpful

baileyb's Avatar baileyb 01:22 PM 11-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

Miriam, the Hebrew version of Mary, is the first and really only one that comes to mind for me. So a quick Google search turned up this link. I especially love Liron ("I have joy") and Neria ("Light of God"). Hope this gives you some ideas to work with! 

Ooooo, Liron! I like that one! I think a distant cousin of mine married a woman named Liron.

contactmaya's Avatar contactmaya 01:26 PM 11-08-2011

Im thinking 'Shifrah', at the moment.

eireann's Avatar eireann 06:32 PM 11-08-2011

Madeline is one of my favorite names and it's Hebrew in origin. Our names are all very Irish, but would definitely consider naming a girl that as it would go with anything.

I like the pronunciation MAD-A-LINE, over MAD-A-LYNN.

contactmaya's Avatar contactmaya 07:58 AM 11-09-2011

I like that name too. The Hebrew version is Magdelene, named after a town, Magdala.

Im starting to like Serafina-coming from Seraphim, the highest order of angels.  It means burning, or ardent....

1 2 

Up